• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Karissa the Destroyer" was a Marketing Hoax

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, this should be very interesting. I wonder who was pulling the strings over there...and does Nintendo know anything about that?

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Disappointing. I've never thought of video games as a professional sport, but I did at least think they were above "professional" wrestling. Guess not.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
It is nice to see that people like Milktea are pointing out the other social implications that are involved with this issue,

Ragna22

Smash Ace
On one hand the idea of a 10 year old child beating competetive Smash plyers with probably experience since the day Smash 64 came out or at least Melee would make that child look like a hero and set an example.

On the other hand if this WERE real, the guys who think Smash is too kiddie to be considered a fighting game would've gotten a lot more ammunition to make fun of Smash fans with so it all kinda evens things out.

Vaidya

Smash Apprentice
This is why I have trust issues.

Tbh, I did have suspicion as to how she had that much skill. I mean, she was using some advanced level techniques. I kinda even entertained the thought of someone playing for her. Damn.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
It's believable, she was using Sheik and said she mains Rosalina? Such braindead characters I'm sure a 10 yr old could master them...

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
In the end everybody will lose with this, Karissa probably messed up her actress career, the players involved in the hoax will lose credibility, and GS will lose more $$$ (actually Im ok with the last one)

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Awright, Gumshoe Hotcakes has a few questions:

1) If this is a marketing hoax, then what exactly is it promoting? Just posing 6 gamers to play a 10-year-old girl at a public game demo doesn't exactly sound like a publicity stunt. There seemed to be no presence of any cameramen or agents either, so what sort of exposure would come of a few raw videos circulating in a small community?
2) What is the controversy at hand? On the surface, I only see a young girl appears to be kicking pro-players' asses in a video game. While the real prodigy is controlling the game behind closed doors (mmm, dat Wii U controller range). Doesn't seem like anymore of a farce than some player appearing to play good when they're actually faking their skill through external means.

It is nice to see that people like Milktea are pointing out the other social implications that are involved with this issue,
:4link: pl0x?

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I called this. I knew it was a hoax. :rolleyes: A ten year old with that kind of skill just isn't likely. That and I've played enough cod in the past to know when shenanigins are about.

****ing shenaniginizers.

The Quarter Master

Smash Apprentice
This is why I have trust issues.

Tbh, I did have suspicion as to how she had that much skill. I mean, she was using some advanced level techniques. I kinda even entertained the thought of someone playing for her. Damn.
I know how you feel, man. You can't trust nobody these days. I'm glad I learned that a long time ago before I started using the internet more (holy crap...).

LazyDoctor

Smash Rookie
NNID
LazyDoctor
3DS FC
2878-9615-1805
"The girl being an actress sets a bad example for all young girls looking to play games."

If you are going to make a claim then could you back it up? Preferably with something other than blind hatred.

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
This story is such a bummer. I love a good underdog story, and it was unveiling right before our eyes. With it being a hoax... well, it's a bigger letdown than the Ice Climbers.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Are we allowed to place our guesses on who was the pro player?
Guessing DEHF

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Still unknown is who was playing the character on screen behind the curtains as well. The several thousand dollars that went behind this hoax likely paid off for a little while as the first video initially exploded to over 80,000 YouTube views. Who was behind the hoax - Nintendo of America or GameStop, also remains to be seen.
It's Nintendo. This is them testing out their amiibos. They're learning and making them more and more powerful. Soon, not even the greatest out there could come close to beating a level 50. Nintendo tried to get involved in the competitive scene with the invitational, and now they're going to take it over.

All hail amiibo!

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Err, okay?
So what's the big deal?

It's a joke, a funny joke to exact.

No need to harass the little girl and GameStop.
This is the internet. All rational action is left at the door.

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
That sucks, but what's even more frustrating is the "pros" who played along with it. Then again, I guess when push comes to shove, no one really wants to be "That guy" and burst the bubble.

Loki

Smash Apprentice
Wow, so much hatred, so many broken hearts, so much... wtf guys, seriously?

This thread is filled with way more drama than a mexican soap opera, and over such a silly and pointless thing. The pros, casters and sites losing credibility for this?, Nintendo and Gamestop having to explain things? No wonder why people wants to have little to nothing to do with the smash community.

Seriously guys, we should stop being so entittled to ourselves and take things for what they are. When they are jokes, they are jokes... no one got hurt from this.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Wow, so much hatred, so many broken hearts, so much... wtf guys, seriously?

This thread is filled with way more drama than a mexican soap opera, and over such a silly and pointless thing. The pros, casters and sites losing credibility for this?, Nintendo and Gamestop having to explain things? No wonder why people wants to have little to nothing to do with the smash community.

Seriously guys, we should stop being so entittled to ourselves and take things for what they are. When they are jokes, they are jokes... no one got hurt from this.
which is exactly why my post was just there making fun of gamestop and saying "what a good actor"

the irony is i've probably purchased there more than most people on smashboards

Ridley22

Smash Ace
You would think that she faked her way into EVO grand finals by the way some people are acting. It was a joke. A joke for marketing purposes. Who cares?

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
This is a serious letdown. I really believed in the top players of smash. I guess every celebrity/mini celebrity can be tempted by corruption. The reason I get upset about this is because I feel like I've been lied to by people I looked up to.

JnL

Smash Knight
3DS FC
5455-9416-3843
NOW I WANT SEE "Karissa vs Nairo" or vs Mew2king

this could be outrageous!!!! :o

mjwuLFe94

Smash Rookie
I feel like D1 is like acting in the video.
If i were to be losing to a girl, i would not be focusing on saying stuffs like unbelievable or stuffs like that, i would focus even more because despite the looks of the opponent, what comes down to is skill. i would be busy focusing on the game more and mouthing words would be a distraction on my part.
If one sees a girl play better than you, not like scrub better but like really better and you are technical, experienced and a seasoned veteran, it's not a question of gender that's up to the matter, but a question of what player is really better, and pride can get in.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I don't have a problem with publicity stuff, but this is taking it way too far. First, they didn't even do it well, which is pathetic. This is also obnoxious to the community and the whole idea is poorly thought out. If she's never played the game before, then there's no way she should know about the advanced techs or even have the ability to do that. You know that Ken guy? He bodied everyone and couldn't even wavedash when he started. It's also kinda rude to the community if people who've played the game MUCH longer than her get bodied, regardless of how good she would be. It's basically saying "you guys suck and shouldn't be so serious with the game".

tldr; Horrible execution and outrageous, so anybody involved in this should feel bad about themselves.
actually the actors don't deserve much hate but whoever came up with this really pisses me off

Last edited:
Top Bottom