• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

Jace08

Smash Lord
it is the gamestop tourney. the regionals are being held there. royal ninja won his way there.

Good games at JCCC too. your falco is a beast.
Oh, duh, the gamestop tournament. Nvm then.

Hey, thanks dude; you're not bad yourself, especially with Pikachu's crazy down-smash. That was a fun tournament we had going there. I wish I could come Wednesdays too, but there's trouble finding a ride. I'll be able to show up on Wednesdays in the future, though.

If anyone else here lives near Johnson County Community College, I encourage you to come to weekly JCCC smash in addition to Barrio. Ask Stealth here or PaperDream for the details; I'm a bit new myself. It's really awesome and we get a lot of good matches in.

DrSalvador

Smash Cadet
The house I lived in until college at KU is at 116th and Pflumn... just a few back yards and a chat path away from JCCC. If there is weekly smash going on, I am definitely interested. Dunno how often I could make it with my class schedule though.

BTW for those of you who want to make it to the Gamestop tourney on Saturday and don't know where and are too lazy to look it up, the address is:

Zona Rosa S/C
7106 NW 86th Terr.
Kansas City, MO
(816)746-6736

I really have no idea why its called Zona Rosa. I've never been there before.

And to all those who are competing in this tourney, I'm in it as well, and I'm using meta knight. See you there.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Since there seems to be some interest in the club, i will give the information. I am an officer of the Game Interest Group (GIG) at Johnson County Community College. It is a combo game playng and game design group. We have gaming meetings every Tuesday 5-9 and every Wednesday 3-7. Our group is relativly small right now, using two tv's. The Halo players of our club never come out, and it is just the smash people that come. We have 2 Wii's at the moment, and 2 Brawls going. we have room for a lot more people, though more wii's would have to be brought. we can get any number of tv's for the meeting's. For now we just play brawl, and occasionaly melee and smash 64. If anyone wants to come, I can give you directions to JCCC if needed and where we meet.

papermarkis

Smash Lord
Hey Stealth, you said this club is at JCCC right? Would one of your members happen to go by the name of Deron James? If you know such a person, tell him I said hi.

Royal Nynja

Smash Ace
Man i was hoppin no one from the boards was gonna be at this tourne. I was hoppin to breeze all the way to the finish, but i guess its gonna be a challenge. Who wants to be in a tourne that you have to try in..... What a drag.

DrSalvador

Smash Cadet
I figured at regionals I would have to face at least 1 person from smashboards. I wouldn't be surprised if more than half the players there are from smashboards and just haven't spoken up yet.

Ninja: you're using diddy I assume? I don't know if he is a unlocked character or not.

Royal Nynja

Smash Ace
yeah funny thing is though 12 people are going to be there from what i hear, and the top 8 are goin to cali. we only have to win the first fight pretty much...but in a 5 min with items, the match turns quickly...

anyways...yeah i use diddy, he's a starter so im in the clear on characters. i used to use sonic but he cant be in the tourne, he is too hard to control with the chucks to me and he takes for ever to ko anyone.

Royal Nynja

Smash Ace
ill prob switch to gamecube, im only good with diddy on the chucks, not one else. but i sd some times cause im not good with analong jumps while recovering. plus with the gcc i can use my bananas to glyde backwards, with chucks i can only move forward.

DrSalvador

Smash Cadet
I will definitely switch back to gamecube controller. I can't short hop worth crap with the nunchuck. Plus I love the c-stick for smashes.

Ment

Smash Rookie
I haven't even tried the wiimote. the gamecube/N64 setup is way to familiar(not to mention intuitive) to drop.

DrSalvador

Smash Cadet
Maybe I got this confused, but I thought only 8 people TOTAL were going to nationals. That means some of the regionals won't even be sending people to cali. The rules are so hard to understand though. It just seems like if Gamestop sent 8 people from each of the 20 or so regionals that are happening on Saturday, then it would cost a LOT of money to send all of them to cali (airplane ticket, hotel, $200 for food, trophy to the winners). The whole deal is worth about $1200 per person. While Gamestop is definitely a large company with plenty of money, I don't see them spending about $17,000 just to fly some people around. Hope I'm wrong though. That would increase my chances of success quite a bit.

EDIT: this is the rules quoted from the gamestop website:

HOW TO QUALIFY FOR ROUND 3:

Round 3 will be conducted on or about March 29, 2008. In Round 3 of the Contest, all District Winners will be given one (1) opportunity to compete against another District Winner (as determined by the Sponsor) until one Contestant is eliminated per match. Each District Winner will compete against another District Winner for a five (5) minute match until only one (1) Contestant has survived the elimination rounds. The top eight (8) scoring District Winners will be declared the Semifinalists for that region and will have the opportunity to compete in Round 4 of the Contest.

All Semifinalists will be determined on or about March 31, 2008. Approximately 8 Semifinalists will advance to Round 4 of the Contest which will be held on April 12, 2008 at GameStop, 3600-A Stevens Creek Blvd, San Jose, CA, 95117. Semifinalists will be required to travel on specified dates as determined by Sponsor and will be required to present a valid photo ID (or any legal document if necessary) to compete in Round 4.
Trip includes: round-trip coach-class airfare for winner only (unless winner is a minor) from a major commercial airport nearest winner’s primary residence (to be determined by Sponsor) or ground transportation if winner resides within 100 miles radius of Event City, hotel accommodations for one (1) night (one room, single or double occupancy), and $200.00 spending money, which will be awarded in the form of a check. All meals, ground transportation (other than as noted), taxes (including but not limited to federal and state, income and sales tax), gratuities, incidentals, service charges, upgrades or other expenses not specified herein are not included and are the Semifinalist sole responsibility. If the Round 4 is cancelled or postponed for any reason, awarding of the remaining elements of Semifinalist trip shall constitute full satisfaction of Sponsor’s prize obligation and no substitute or additional compensation will be awarded. All travel arrangements will be made by Sponsor or its designated agent. No travel date substitutions allowed. If a Semifinalist is unable to travel on dates specified by Sponsor, prize will be forfeited and the player who was eliminated last prior to the Semifinalist prize winner may be declared the alternate winner, provided there is sufficient time to verify alternate winner and make travel arrangement, otherwise such Semifinalist prize will not be awarded. If, for any reason whatsoever, the Semifinalist cannot travel after all travel arrangements are made and paid, then the Sponsor shall have no further obligation to the Semifinalist. Travel and accommodations are subject to change and availability and restrictions may apply.

ROUND 4:

In Round 4 of the Contest, all eight (8) Semifinalists will be given two (2) opportunities to compete against another Semifinalist, as determined by the Sponsor, in a five (5) minute match. The top two (2) scoring Semifinalists (after double elimination rounds) will be declared the Finalists. The 2 Finalist with the best of three rounds score in Round 4 (subject to verification) will be declared the Grand Prize Winner of the 2008 Super Smash Brothers Brawl Final Tournament. The Finalist with the second highest score in Round 4 (subject to verification) will be declared the Second Prize Winner.
So you could take it as 8 per region, but it seems that 8 people from each region will be DECLARED semi-finalists. This means Gamestop MAY choose for them to go to the national tourney. It looks like on March 31st they are just gonna pick 8 people at random from the pool of semi-finalists and send them to cali.

and FYI there are 25 regionals being held. I counted. That means 200 people are going for 8 spots.

Jace08

Smash Lord
As the group grows I can start bringing my Wii and a copy of Brawl to the meetings. I'm glad to hear that we can get more tvs from the campus.

Royal Nynja

Smash Ace
hmm maybe your right now that i looks at it, it looks like my gamestop employee that always gives me wrong information has yet to fail me. only 8 ppl in the national tourne? thts gonna be boring.....

well i just called that game stop and wolfgang ( atleast thats what it sounded like) said that there will be 26 ppl in it and the top 8 go to cali... from what he told me the chances arnt as good but there alot better then just the one winner, but either way if what he said is true, you would have to win the 1st 2 matches instead of just the first... 816 746 6736 is their number

DrSalvador

Smash Cadet
well i just called that game stop and wolfgang ( atleast thats what it sounded like) said that there will be 26 ppl in it and the top 8 go to cali... from what he told me the chances arnt as good but there alot better then just the one winner, but either way if what he said is true, you would have to win the 1st 2 matches instead of just the first... 816 746 6736 is their number
I hope you prove me wrong on this. It would be great to have a free trip to cali only 2 wins away.
btw who is this 'wolfgang'? the Gamestop manager? tourney official? organizer? knowledgable colleague?

Cups

Smash Ace
why don't you guys just exchange AIM names? you've been talking to eachother for like 3 pages lol.

lamest way of building post counts ever

ParadoxRyk

Smash Cadet
Maybe I got this confused, but I thought only 8 people TOTAL were going to nationals. That means some of the regionals won't even be sending people to cali. The rules are so hard to understand though. It just seems like if Gamestop sent 8 people from each of the 20 or so regionals that are happening on Saturday, then it would cost a LOT of money to send all of them to cali (airplane ticket, hotel, $200 for food, trophy to the winners). The whole deal is worth about $1200 per person. While Gamestop is definitely a large company with plenty of money, I don't see them spending about $17,000 just to fly some people around. Hope I'm wrong though. That would increase my chances of success quite a bit.

"Blah blah blah..."
First off, yes GameStop is a large company with a lot of money (that's not hard to see when you trade in a game for 25% less than the price you paid for it, then see it sold for 10% less than the price of a new one), but the way I see it, with Nintendo's help, I don't think GameStop would mind too much flying a few people out to Cali for "chump change". Not to mention I'm sure sponsorship plays some role in this little tourney.
Overall, it's feasible, and I bet they've done it before (like the Battlefield Modern Combat tourney, and crap like that).

ParadoxRyk

Smash Cadet
hmm maybe your right now that i looks at it, it looks like my gamestop employee that always gives me wrong information has yet to fail me. only 8 ppl in the national tourne? thts gonna be boring.....

Also...
You can suck on a fat Pikmin for all I care, Nynja... I'm always right, you just hear wrong every time, that's all.

papermarkis

Smash Lord
So I just finished the Berserk anime. I know a lot of anime's end prematurely, but **** this one ended on a cliffhanger! Can't wait to start reading the manga.

Royal Nynja

Smash Ace
lol paradox eat a banana without chewing! I heard dark bent you over yesterday or did i get the wrong too? Lol i swear almost lost a friend yesterday playing pikachu doing down smash to down smash combos. I forgot that i needed to play differently against spam bs and was ready to kick him out

papermarkis

Smash Lord
So is anyone else not really feeling Brawl anymore like me and Cups? I mean it's a good game, but it seems the competitive aspect of it is non-existent. I stopped playing Melee for a very long time and only picked it up again when I found competitive players and advanced techniques. It seems like I'll be playing Brawl, but eventually putting it down, and never picking it back up.

Top Bottom