• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kansas City/Lawrence Discussion Topic

darkrain

Smash Ace
I would maybe buy a wii u just for that, FF:CC is the best

I want to fire up the gamecube version again. Anyone else also cool enough to hold onto their gba?

Oh and that compatibility cable ><
I've got 3 GBA's and 3 of those cables. Buut the GC version of four swords is so much more fun than FF:CC IMO. In any case I have both of those games too. If you can supply one more GBA and one more cable we could fire up either one.

RFrizzle

Smash Ace
I have my gba and link to the past (i think), would be down. That game was the **** you could just pick up your friends and throw em at **** lol

:phone:

only1Z

Smash Champion
FF:CC was cool cause it was new, fresh while still being in a FF universe. Four Swords owns cause you can be link and a ****in **** to your friends.

I remember the first time I tried to play CC 4 ways, had to borrow two GBA's from jessi and david but I randomly had 4 connectors. High school was weird...

dmac

Smash Champion
Honda, thank you for giving me a raging erection that will last me for weeks. I played the euro version on my wii, and then bought the USA release as soon as it came out with the plan to never open it. I let jace borrow it and he hasn't done JACK **** with it.

Man if Xenoblade had been the only good game experience I got out of my Wii I would've been ok with it.
YES.

Does the four swords on 3DS match the gameplay on the gamecube?

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
I (attempted) to emulate it originally when it was released in march, but the framerate would occasionally dip into the UNACCEPTABLE, so I stopped.

FF12 also looks pretty awesome emulated, albeit suffering from some lesser framerate stutters. Graphics didn't fix the cookie cutter story, poor character design, and uninspired battle system though.
Both Xenoblade and FFXII have amazing art direction so that definitely helps too. With the resolution/settings used in the screens posted I can play Xenoblade at near constant 100% speed, the only hitches being an occasional audio desync and framerate drops during some bosses. I can play on even higher settings too, but of course once a few enemies show up onscreen **** gets real

As good as Xenoblade looks at like 2160p (or whatever resolution it's running at) I think FFXII looks even better, but then again I'm probably biased because it's literally my favorite game ever and shame on you Massive

Massive

Smash Champion
There is no shame in holding firm in my criticism.

• The story is directly plagiarizes Star Wars.
    • An old man and young boy charter a vessel owned by a lovable rogue and his furry companion and set against the forces of the empire, the similarities do not stop there and actually get lazier.
    • It is especially disappointing when you consider that FFXI, having no real main characters or character development to speak of, had several better gameplay elements and storytelling arcs years before FFXII was released.
  • You can literally clear most dungeons by moving towards the first enemy and letting go of the stick.
    • Woohoo gambits.
  • Even the most supposedly masculine characters are painfully androgynous.
    • Ashe and Fran are substantially manlier than Basch.
    • Vaan could take puberty lessons from Strong Bad.
  • The mark-hunting system becomes absurdly repetitive after you realize it's just palette swapped regular enemies in old dungeons.
    • Turtle
    • Dog
    • Bird
    • Blue Turtle
That being said, it is not the worst FF game by any stretch of the imagination (13 and 14 do exist, after all). I actually enjoyed a lot of the environments, the effects, and several (but not all) of the enemy and character designs greatly. Much of the dialog was well done, and the voice acting was more tolerable than any other FF I had played. I've certainly played far worse RPGs to completion and enjoyed them less (Quest 64).

But still, there's no way any sane person could say it is even in the same arena as FF4, FF6, or even FF7.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Well I think a lot of the appeal of FFXII, for me at least, was from the art direction. I used to run a FFXII site way back when (back in 2003, when we thought the game was coming out in December 2004) so I became very closely acquainted with all of the art and even lots of concept work that was only shown in the Ultimania Omega (I have that too). I've always liked Ivalice the most of all the Final Fantasy universes and, of course, was always partial to the storytelling and themes prevalent in games designed by Yasumi Matsuno, who also directed Tactics Ogre, FF-Tactics, and Vagrant Story.

Honestly I feel like FFXII was destined to be a top-5 all-time JRPG but was ***** by corporate SE early during production. And Matsuno, sick of fighting with the higher-ups for control over his baby, just left the project to rot.

You can still see some of his touch, though—namely in the opening sequence and how it sets the tone with Ashe's tragic character, and in a certain cutscene where Gabranth is ordered to execute Judge Drace. The latter, especially, is really really well written and directed. Combined with the animation, which I still think puts most PS3 characters to shame, the game had the potential to pack some huge dramatic punches

I'd say the beginning of the game until around the Tomb of Raithwall is pretty close to how the entire game should have been. The pacing is absolutely perfect, there's tons of freedom and areas to explore—just remember how closed FFX's areas were—and there's plenty of character development, all shown in cutscenes that show off the game's intricate animation quality. After Raithwall, however, the game starts falling apart, and I just know this correlates with Matsuno leaving production, I just know it

I'll even go out on a limb and say that the first 10-12 hours of FFXII are the best 10-12 hours in any Final Fantasy game before or since. The only problem is that XII makes a lot of promises that it eventually cannot keep

I think a lot of people don't become attached to FFXII because the game is actually quite subtle compared to the more grand JRPGs of the time, so it's very easy to miss a lot of the details that really enrich the experience. For one, the game has a tendency to hide some of its most interesting world-building tidbits in the back pages of its Clan Primer—but man I still haven't come across another game that has put as much interesting backstory into its cities and regions like FFXII has.

The intricacies of the plotline—especially the motivations behind some of the major story forces like Vayne and Marquis Ondore—are, too, usually glossed over by most players. Part of this is due to the dialog, which is beautifully executed but relies heavily on subtext that is not always apparent. Many situations in the story are not clearly explained (just like all good political dramas), and so the full impact of a lot of scenes are often lost.

I played through the first half of the game again this last summer, which is my 6th or 7th time through, and there were still moments in the story where I was like "so that is why he did that" and man parts of the story are so damn good, but most people don't give the game a chance

But otherwise, yes I agree with you, SE dropped the ball with FFXII. It's just the FFXII I see is much different than the FFXII most other people see and it's sort of unfortunate

Jace08

Smash Lord
*gets crushed by honda's wall of text*

and enjoyed them less(quest 64)
You mean you enjoyed the BEST RPG OF ALL TIME. Brian for smash 4! ><

I've got 3 GBA's and 3 of those cables. Buut the GC version of four swords is so much more fun than FF:CC IMO. In any case I have both of those games too. If you can supply one more GBA and one more cable we could fire up either one.
Niiiice I can do that. I'll grab em next time I'm in olathe

I have my gba and link to the past (i think), would be down. That game was the **** you could just pick up your friends and throw em at **** lol

Cool. Yeah messing with your friends was probably the highlight of both 4swords games for me

dmac I'm sorry! Just can't quite get into xenoblade. I'll give it another shot though

Cups

Smash Ace
i still remember when markis and i figured out how the gem crafting works in xenoblade. We were all like oooooohhh this game is amaaaaazing

only1Z

Smash Champion
dmac I'm sorry! Just can't quite get into xenoblade. I'll give it another shot though
Watch Buffy while you're at it. Leave it to a film student to be intimidated by words.

*i remember sitting and watching dmac rub that crafting thing cause it was the only thing he could do that wouldn't spoil me.

rei_vincent

Smash Ace
honda just killed my eyes.

Guys and Gals. Another SSF4, UMvC3, KoF13, etc tournament this weekend. It's our monthly called maxout, and it's in lee's summit.

https://www.facebook.com/events/297813010324054/?ref=ts&fref=ts

it's in a restaurant where the food is amazing and there's a bar. it's super fun times so come play games! I know some of you wanna play "relevant" games. MAKE THE LEAP FOOLS

rpotts

Smash Lord
Where in the area? We have smash just about every weekend unless otherwise noted here, the address for the Saturday gig is in the op if I recall correctly. Recently there has been some switching up of the regular gig, with darkrain now hosting on Fridays at his new dig in OP, and massive still hosting at his place in Gladstone, MO. Apparently they're going to be alternating weekends. Good to see new faces.

dmac

Smash Champion
anyone else besides me and z coming from lawrence? poots? hondaz? swagger pickle?????????

anyone wanna goto a local walmart at midnight and see if i can grab some accessories and games for my wii u? not that i'm TOO worried about stuff being sold out in lawrence, but it mite be fun

darkrain

Smash Ace
Yes he is.

We also have Jace, who is like a 2008 Darkrain that refuses to drink or break bread with his bros.
No dissrespect to Jace but do not compare his current level to me at my peak. I was placing top 10 at every national and winning several large regional tournaments (smym/TO/INN etc). Meanwhile Jace gets 5th at Rolla losing to players like Deku and VTS and can't even win a Lawrence tournament when the only competition there is Nebraska... I love Jace and he is a great player in the confines of your basement but he does not perform when it comes to high level play.

Let's also not forget I got 8th at FC and Jace didn't make it out of 2nd round pools. That was only 3 months ago... Jace lacks creativity and can't play well under pressure which holds him back greatly as player. While his tech skill is definitely better than mine these days he is not at my level now and surely not as good as me at my peak. Get your **** straight.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Are you guys planning on stayin til 5am? I might come if you were planning on leaving early ish

EDIT: anyone else who wants to come from
Lawrence should meet us at z's apt at 5:30

Massive

Smash Champion
No dissrespect to Jace but do not compare his current level to me at my peak. I was placing top 10 at every national and winning several large regional tournaments (smym/TO/INN etc). Meanwhile Jace gets 5th at Rolla losing to players like Deku and VTS and can't even win a Lawrence tournament when the only competition there is Nebraska... I love Jace and he is a great player in the confines of your basement but he does not perform when it comes to high level play.

Let's also not forget I got 8th at FC and Jace didn't make it out of 2nd round pools. That was only 3 months ago... Jace lacks creativity and can't play well under pressure which holds him back greatly as player. While his tech skill is definitely better than mine these days he is not at my level now and surely not as good as me at my peak. Get your **** straight.
Tryin' to be nice for once and hype up Jace a bit, but I get SHOT DOWN.
I guess I'll just go back to the old standby of Jace making terribly biased brackets. Nobody will disagree with me there, lol.

Top Bottom