• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Congratulations on reaching 500 Pages, Kutthroats! :)

Also, Happy Birthday to the Kremling King - if anything, having 500 pages dedicated to him would make a fine birthday present second to triumphing over Donkey Kong!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Congratulations on reaching 500 Pages, Kutthroats! :)

Also, Happy Birthday to the Kremling King - if anything, having 500 pages dedicated to him would make a fine birthday present second to triumphing over Donkey Kong!
Yeah, Happy Birthday K. Rool! And Diddy Kong. Even though for me its not quite the 21st yet. :D

D

Deleted member

So....what do you think the whole thing about "He probably could have been Donkey Kong's most trustworthy animal friend" meant?
That was a rather random thing to say.

....now I kind of want to see the unlikely team-up in a new game with a "K. Rool Crate". :laugh:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So....what do you think the whole thing about "He probably could have been Donkey Kong's most trustworthy animal friend" meant?

....now I kind of want to see the unlikely team-up in a new game with a "K. Rool Crate". :laugh:
Basically, I think its implying that if K. Rool wasn't so "Krool" and evil he and DK could actually become allies. But K. Rool is too greedy for his own good. Which is why we love him so much. :D

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Five hundred pages of K. Rool worship and admiration. And on the same anniversary of his debut game.
Keep the dream alive, everyone.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Happy Birthday K. Rool! And Diddy Kong. Even though for me its not quite the 21st yet. :D
We need fan art where Diddy Kong and King K. Rool fight over their birthday cake now.

Yeah I found that interesting, but if I remember correctly, it later on said in the Japanese description that it would probably never happen.

GUYS 30 MINUTES BEFORE SMASH WII U LAUNCH. LET'S POST LIKE CRAZY SO WE CAN SAY WE MADE IT TO 20,000 POSTS!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Basically, I think its implying that if K. Rool wasn't so "Krool" and evil he and DK could actually become allies. But K. Rool is too greedy for his own good. Which is why we love him so much. :D
I got that much, but it was just rather random to include.

Every time I read it, I think of K. Rool giving DK a piggy-back ride and it's too hilarious and epic for words.
Yeah I found that interesting, but if I remember correctly, it later on said in the Japanese description that it would probably never happen.
The English version did too with a "Think he'll ever have a change of heart? Not likely."

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hey guys long time no see

How are we going on king k rools chances for dlc?

Ps captain ridley just got killed by sakurai so this may be my new main pirate crew now

Im a kermling pirate now.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Hey guys long time no see

How are we going on king k rools chances for dlc?

Ps captain ridley just got killed by sakurai so this may be my new main pirate crew now

Im a kermling pirate now.
Yarr! Welcome Aboard to our Gangplank Galleon, fellow Pirate! You came at a very good time, we're just celebrating our King's 20th Birthday and his 500th page of discussion! Welcome aboard, you're one of us now!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I'll get back to participating in the Kampaign around mid december hopefully. Been so busy and on top of that, my laptop broke. Wanted to stop by to cheer K. Rool on and to wish him and the DKC series a happy 20th birthday!! Love these games! And Love K.ROOL!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Happy 20th Anniversary Donkey Kong Country!! The game in which the Donkey Kong series was revived in into the franchise we all know and love. Happy Birthday Diddy! And most importantly, Happy 20th Birthday to the King! Thank you Rare for making this great game and the rest of the original trilogy! Thank you David Wise, Eveline Fischer, and Robin Beanland for creating a magnificent soundtrack that is timeless.

20 years already huh ? Man I feel old.

EDIT: Happy 500 pages fellow Kutthroats! Hope the King will see his finest hour soon.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Congratulations on reaching 500 pages! Best of luck with DLC! Hopefully we can see the King make a triumphant return soon. ;)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Happy 500 pages, guys! Think back to all the fond memories we've had over its pages, and realize that they're just the beginning of what will eventually prove to be a rewarding return of our favorite Kremling.

(in before someone posts a picture of some other random Kremling besides K. Rool)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Just wanted to share another thought with you guys that I've had for a while:

Although Krystal is my #1 most wanted newcomer for Smash and K. Rool is my #2 most wanted (in reality they're pretty much neck-and-neck), I have to say that K. Rool outright deserves it a lot more than Krystal does. He deserves to be in Smash and reclaim his position as the "Bowser" of the Donkey Kong series. I can understand Nintendo making new enemies for Donkey Kong and all, but not to the detriment of a prevalent villain. The new enemies shouldn't be an excuse for Nintendo to not have K. Rool in Donkey Kong, as an addition. I'm baffled, honestly. Why wouldn't Nintendo want to cement a prevalent villain in the main game series of Donkey Kong? I just don't get it. I mean, beyond all this, his potential and originality for Smash are off the freaking charts. His moves and style would undoubtedly make people smile even if they didn't know who he was! And that's something I don't think Nintendo really understands about him...

As for Krystal, the only reason why she tops K. Rool in my wanted list is because she needs it in order to become an interesting character for once. So much of her potential was lost in the shrouded past of Star Fox development, and she became restricted to high hell within the current lore and context of Star Fox (which we have Miyamoto to thank for). That's why Krystal is such a controversial character, in my opinion. The discussion about her has been based around the notion of whether or not she deserves a spot in Smash. Honestly, from what she has been in the series, she doesn't deserve it. However, if she can be redeemed, her best chances are through Smash, not Miyamoto. I'll link a longer version of a quote of why I supported Krystal, for those who are interested (but I'm going to hide it under a spoiler so that this post doesn't become too far off topic):

I supported Krystal for reasons that many people might not expect.

See, I always felt that Star Fox as a franchise has so much untapped potential. There are many things that can be brought to the table to breathe new life in the franchise. So many possibilities... some of which I discussed roughly 80-100 pages ago in this thread.

And yet, I knew Nintendo was restricting the franchise from these possibilities--whether it was intentional or not doesn't matter. So, if I already knew the franchise was being limited by focus, why did I support Krystal for Smash?

It's a multifaceted answer.

For starters, I'm not a guy who looks to the face value of things for enjoyment. I like to look at the implications.

For instance, a question I have asked myself a few times was: what would be implied unto the Star Fox franchise if Krystal managed to get in Smash with her staff?

Quite possibly, many things. Allow me to elaborate:

Long have I fancied the logic of exposure. If you understand the logic of exposure (and all it can imply), you would understand why many people want certain veterans back in Smash. They're used to these characters being in Smash, as they've already been exposed to them. If you're exposed to something for a certain amount of time, you could easily get used to it (not saying everyone does, but it is pretty effective).

Exposure is only half of the equation, however.

The thing you're exposed to generally needs to have effort put into it for you to eventually enjoy it.

Allow me to sidestep briefly with an important note: this second half of the equation is what Star Fox is missing as a franchise. The characters don't have that much effort put into them. For starters, you can't even really play as them. They're restricted to be things that revolve the story of Fox McCloud--you only really ever get to play as Fox.

Tell me, why do you think so many people are interested in the Star Fox characters in Smash Brothers?

It's simple. It completes the equation. They have effort put into them. Fox, Falco, and Wolf have NEVER had the chance to display their martial arts in ANY of the Star Fox games. This makes them interesting, particularly in the field of Smash. They've generally been restricted to the sky/space (or underwater in a few circumstances). Point is, they've usually had to use vehicles for their escapades. And when they were on-foot, well, it was very restricted and lackluster (Star Fox: Assault).

Another sidestep: being able to play as the character is a form of exposure. This is something that, like I said, was lacking from a lot of the Star Fox characters. Sure, Command allowed us to play as them, but it was the wrong way to go about it. There are other playable ways you could better distinguish the effort in the characters, and Smash is one of them.

Smash is a venue where some characters are able to do things they can't normally do in their franchises. We may not realize it, but it gives us an interesting perspective on these characters. This usually allows us to become even more interested in the characters, and deepens the experience as a whole. Naturally, because we are fans, we usually cross-reference our experiences of the franchises with the experience of Smash.

What does this have to do with Krystal? Many things, potentially.

For starters, having Krystal in Smash (granted she'd need something interesting, like her staff) would plant the seeds of exposure to the players. "Whoa, that's different". Or, "Wait, she can do that?!"

These are the sorts of inferences people make that pique interest value.

However, I'm not necessarily interested in the inferences made about Krystal in such hypothetical situations alone...

I'm more interested about the implications on the Star Fox franchise that result from these inferences made about Krystal in Smash.

For starters, the exposure of Krystal in Smash, what with her being different and actually enjoyable for once, would allow some people to become more open to the idea of her being in Star Fox. She is the epicenter of the negativity revolving the Star Fox franchise within the fandom. If this epicenter can be weakened by the exposure to her actually being an interesting character in Smash, the negativity that follows would also weaken.

If the negativity is replaced by positive outlook (as a result of them being exposed to an interesting Krystal for once), the fans would be less occupied by the things that are weighing the franchise down (because Krystal was the epicenter of negativity). They will be more able to look at the possibilities of Star Fox rather than "what's wrong" with it.

But that's not all.

You see, if they are less focused on the negativity, they would be more open to the idea that the developers make the decisions behind the games. Then, the realization hits:

"Oh, so it wasn't Krystal's fault that Star Fox has been so lackluster, it's the developers fault! I mean, look at what Sakurai did with Krystal in Smash! She's a lot better there than she has been in Star Fox!"

And from this realization, the talk about what could be done with Star Fox begins. They'll realize all the different gameplay styles that Star Fox could do: on-foot, aerial, in-space, underwater, etc. All in the same game. Oh, but then, there are subcategories in each style of gameplay. Depending on the situation, you could have it to where you focus on martial arts on-ground OR with weapons. Hell, give them some of their Smash Brothers abilities on the ground, like the Fox Illusion! Similar differences could be made from the other forms of gameplay that Star Fox could encompass. For instance, an upgrading system not only for your on-ground weapons or physical (or for Krystal, psychic) prowess, but also different kinds of upgrades for your different vehicles. There's just so much you could do, it's almost unfathomable. I'm not even talking about how good the stories and characters OR multiplayer possibilities could be, either.

Do those concepts make you excited about the possibilities in Star Fox? If they do, good. They should.

Star Fox, as a franchise, needs to evolve if it hopes to become something truly legendary. Right now, it's just... a franchise.

Unfortunately, it's going to have a hard time becoming legendary if it becomes riddled with hardware technology and controls that try too hard to be different (I'm looking at you, Miyamoto). Mark my words.

. . .

So, were you expecting those reasons? They're not personal reasons, believe me.

See, I support Krystal for Smash Brothers for reasons that extend beyond Smash. There are many possible implications that could take place if she were to get in as a unique newcomer.

In the end, I can't wrap my head around how ironic the position I sit in is, currently. I've said before that the two franchises I wanted to see new content from the most were Star Fox and Donkey Kong. And just look at what we have in Smash 4... I don't know how to feel about it, to be honest.

Anyways, the reason why I brought up Krystal was because I see one similarity between K. Rool and her. In order to be done properly in Smash, they would both require Nintendo delve into more intricate parts of Donkey Kong and Star Fox history respectively (i.e. to flesh out their movesets). Nintendo would need to work to make them who they should be. Honestly, I enjoy the thought of Nintendo having to look into these parts of their franchises' histories. I think Nintendo would be better off if they started to consider all aspects of their franchises instead of merely representing the franchises' origins or their most recent iterations. They're missing certain chunks in the middle of these franchises' histories. It's not proper representation, in my opinion.

Ah, apologies for dithering so much. It's just another thing I wanted to get off my chest--sort of like a Smash Confession, if you will.

Huh. We'll see what the future brings us.
Huh, kinda like how I want BDee more but think Ridley is more deserving
Also 500 pages...Impressed, not Ridley levels of thread, but impressive not the less!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Holy....500 Pages? I almost lost track of far this place has gotten. I still remember back when we hit page 200 (and I could be wrong, but 100 as well! We listened to "K. Rool's Finest Hour" on at least one of those occasions.)

And on the 20th anniversary of DKC too? Sometimes I really love timing. :p

20 years under the Kremling King's rule, now here's hoping he'll make a triumphant return all the more sooner!

Last edited:
wow 500 pages.... i want to thank all the kuttroats for your loyal support,kindness,and the will to keep getting back up no matter how many times you're knocked down,k rool would be proud.

being on this thread was awsome,sharing ideas and fanart and even battling detractors,and im glad to have been a part of it,thank you guys for being the best.

but now smash is out.....the game we were waiting for is finnaly here,we have dreamt of this day,and now its time to play.

heres to 500 more pages in the future. happy birthday our king

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Happy B-day K.Rool and happy 500 pages.

It's almost like we planned this.

NintendoAlike

Smash Cadet
Happy birthday King K. Rool and we made 500 pages fellow Kutthroats! 20 years under the King's rule, now here's hoping he'll make a triumphant return!

People all over the world are playing on their New 3DSes(except Europe and US) and in USA,we are celebrating with Smash!

Steelia

Smash Champion
Everyone's out talking about Smash for Wii U
and I'm just sitting here wishing K. Rool Happy Birthday

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Congrats on 500 pages you big K. Weers. JK, much love to all of you, and most of all to the King.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Happy 500 guys! It's been a blast talking with you guys, bouncing ideas around for movesets and boss battles, and sharing fan creations! You guys are the best group I could ever hang out with!
I can relate with TheRandomCities4. I shamefully have one character that I want more than K. Rool. That character would be Bomberman. But I do believe that K. Rool comes first.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Kongratulations on making it this far, fellow Kremling Kutthroats, and kongratulations to the King himself and the DK Crew on their most special and significant of spawning dates~!

Last edited:

Kroconut

Smash Cadet
Wow! 500 right on the 2 decade mark of one of the greatest games ever .

I'm just getting started. I'm not backing down. Not till our King gets the rightful placement he deserves. Despite all of our frustration and letdown, I've never been more hopeful about our Kampaign future.

I'm here till the end! I'm one of you and you are one of us!!!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Hey guys, you're going to love this one. I guess K. Rool isn't unique enough for lord Sakurai.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/11/...n-clone-characters-and-costumes-in-smash-bros
I know you said "Sakurai doesn't find K. Rool unique" is sarcasm, and I'd have agreed with you up until Wednesday, but tell me you can't see the same developer who thinks a character "wouldn't be that character" with a marginally reduced skillset, thinking something equally stupid about a different heavyweight villain. It's absolutely something he'd do.

D

Deleted member

Boo hoo. Let's keep this thread about K. Rool instead of whining about Ridley, k?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
To be honest, I didn't really want Ridley THAT much. I did want him because I felt he should've been playable, but him not being playable isn't a huge deal for me. But I do dislike how he was handled.

Anyway, yeah, I'm actually kinda optimistic about K. Rool again.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I am going to hope we get a new director if K.Rool isn't DLC tbh, not just because of a rumor about nintendo trying to get Ridley in but because if you aren't going to make the most requested Nintendo Newcomer and currently most requested character playable and suddenly add bias in the whole game, it doesn't make me a happy customer

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
Hurray for the 20th anniversary of DKC and K. Rool as well as Smash Bros Wii U coming out today and Yippee for 500 pages you guys!

Well, I suppose I should get the game now or something.

D

Deleted member

It's not like what Sakurai said about Ridley really applies to K. Rool anyway.
I mean, K. Rool is pretty much K. Rool no matter what he does for the most part; he's unstable and inconsistent with his style.

I am going to hope we get a new director if K.Rool isn't DLC tbh, not just because of a rumor about nintendo trying to get Ridley in but because if you aren't going to make the most requested Nintendo Newcomer and currently most requested character playable and suddenly add bias in the whole game, it doesn't make me a happy customer
Oh shut up. It's statements like this that make me lose sympathy for entitled fans.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's not like what Sakurai said about Ridley really applies to K. Rool anyway.
I mean, K. Rool is pretty much K. Rool no matter what he does for the most part; he's unstable and inconsistent with his style.

Oh shut up. It's statements like this that make me lose sympathy for entitled fans.
I know what you mean, I just ended up being disappointed with the final roster and final stages, I'm allowed to ask for some more things I like, right? I will buy the game and a Wii U, only reason I haven't is because not enough cash and Europe. Also, I didn't play the first two games and only bought a copy of Brawl this year! I just think if Sakurai wouldn't put K.Rool in either then I'd be disappointed and rather have someone who won't give KI the most representation, did a franchise that was dead for more than 20 years need all that stuff? No it didn't. Maybe Iwata or something, I don't know!

Also, K.Rool may not be inconsistent with style, he at least has style! Unlike a certain ape...

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Come on, ye scurvy dogs, quit slinging mud about and just get back to supportin' the Kap'n! Yargh and so on and so forth!

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Aye aye Kaptain!
I have a question, if K.Rool would get a unique victory theme, what should it be? A metal remix of the DK victory theme in smash or a sample of one of his own themes?
I'd do victory laps around my house if it was a jingle based on Crocodile Cacophany.

Realistically speaking, probably just a metal version of the DK theme to overlap with Bowser and the Koopalings'.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Haven't been visitting this thread much since the game's release, but still absolutely support K Rool as Downloadable Kontent. Long live the king/kaptain/scientist/boxer!

Last edited:
Top Bottom