• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
There is no "obvious" reason Ridley should not be playable, and if you say "He's too big" I will literally reach through the internet to slap you.
He's a giant non-humanoid dragon boss. I don't see how he's anymore reasonable than expecting something like Demise to be playable.

K. Rool is at least humanoid to an extent, and has been resized to playable proportions in other games. More importantly, he looks natural when he's resized to playable proportions because he was designed as a larger version of common humanoid enemies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He's a giant non-humanoid dragon boss. I don't see how he's anymore reasonable than expecting something like Demise to be playable.

K. Rool is at least humanoid to an extent, and has been resized to playable proportions in other games. More importantly, he looks natural when he's resized to playable proportions because he was designed as a larger version of common humanoid enemies.
Ridley is actually humanoid though.

He has two arms, two legs and can stand upright.

Other M Ridley is humanoid. At least as humanoid as :4charizard:.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman

Ridley's body is essentially a malnourished human body with wings, a tail, and a long-necked dragon head. So he's obviously not humanoid.

Again, no obvious reason. K. Rool and Ridley stand proud together as pirate rulers!

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Versus adding actual Nintendo characters. You missed that comment completely.
I will reread the article in a moment to see if I can comprehend what you are saying, because right now it sounds as though you are saying that Sakurai's claims were that he wanted to add roster characters versus Nintendo characters, which cannot be what you mean because that has no meaning.

Edit. Nintendo employees as characters. Understood now.
Still seems all very fishy to even bring that up- they are in the game as Miis, they in fact were the demonstrated Miis in the fricken Mii announcement video. No wonder my brain continually breezed through that paragraph, it's ridiculous to even reference again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Going into something more King K. Rool related, I think we can all agree that King K. Rool hasn't reached his full potential for a support base.

With Ridley almost certainly never becoming playable as long as Sakurai is in charge, it looks as King K. Rool is the last of the Big Four (with Mega Man already playable and Mewtwo confirmed as DLC) as he's the only one that is still in the dark. No one else really matches up to him; even Isaac and Dixie are levels below King K. Rool in support.

The thing about King K. Rool is that he only has one argument that is consistently used against him; the recency argument, which is the basis of the detraction King K. Rool has against him. Every other argument so far is hardly taken seriously by the community and are called out for the BS they are.

I believe that despite the lack of appearance that King K. Rool will return to the Donkey Kong franchise; particularly if Retro and/or Monster is involved in a DKCR3. If and when that happens, King K. Rool will be by default by far the most wanted character for Smash 3DS & Wii U DLC/Smash 6. This is because it would erase the one thing "holding back" King K. Rool from playable status (recency). Not only would we get bandwagoners who end up supporting King K. Rool because of "likelihood" but also because people who are pessimistic about King K. Rool but want him will come out of the woodwork to support him. At this point, there would be no common arguments used against King K. Rool and he would be seen in the same light as Palutena and Little Mac were for this game; all but inevitable.

Should King K. Rool return in DKCR3, I believe that his fan base will surpass that of Mega Man's and end up around Mewtwo's level.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I find this rather ridiculous.
I can absolutely see Sakurai's view with Ridley- if he personally feels he is incapable of doing a character justice, then he should not (though maybe he should get some creators from Metroid to help).

I'm not a Metroid player, I will admit foremost. My desire for Ridley is merely in regard to the one thing that, in wanting to stay true to the character, Sakurai is blatantly neglecting.
Staying true to the series.
Who and how Sakurai chooses to portray as a playable character is of course going to be bias, but as a fellow artist I respect the work he wants to make, particularly from a gameplay-diversity perspective.
However, it is quite literally impossible to accurately get the feel of Metroid in Smash Brothers, at this stage in the game, without having a Ridley. The same goes for K Rool in regard to Donkey Kong.
It is not as much the character representation I wish were present, versus the accurate tribute to the series' at hand. It does not feel as much a let down to the audience, as much as a blatant disrespectful move to the history of the games he is borrowing the characters from.

It truly just sounds like Sakurai just didn't even bother trying (or is intentionally misdirecting the public). Nothing he stated are problems that cannot be addressed, and creative minds use such perceived barriers a drive to creative even more ingenious and original work.

(In regard to those who claim we Ridley supporters are naive, I believe the largest distaste, if I have to generalize to the audience as a whole, comes from the tendency for said "toobigots" to be outright against any sort of positive mentality in the roster. If I post a list of 100 characters, I do not expect them all to make it. I make it for fun, and post it to show. The general faction of 'toobigots' would be the ones to spit on my neck, call me Susan, and send me on my way with a lunchbox. In other words, try to kill any sense of hope, in any avenue, even outside of Ridley. I rarely saw an individual vocalize Ridley was absolutely too big for this game, who likewise had an interesting vision for the game at all.)

TheBlunderbuss

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1375-7537-1842
I read the Ridley excuse and I have to admit, it is a terrible excuse. I wanted Ridley in but Sakurai did everything except make him playable and make him smaller. He even has a final smash, I am tired of hearing the too big excuse and this time is no exception.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I find this rather ridiculous.
I can absolutely see Sakurai's view with Ridley- if he personally feels he is incapable of doing a character justice, then he should not (though maybe he should get some creators from Metroid to help).

I'm not a Metroid player, I will admit foremost. My desire for Ridley is merely in regard to the one thing that, in wanting to stay true to the character, Sakurai is blatantly neglecting.
Staying true to the series.
Who and how Sakurai chooses to portray as a playable character is of course going to be bias, but as a fellow artist I respect the work he wants to make, particularly from a gameplay-diversity perspective.
However, it is quite literally impossible to accurately get the feel of Metroid in Smash Brothers, at this stage in the game, without having a Ridley. The same goes for K Rool in regard to Donkey Kong.
It is not as much the character representation I wish were present, versus the accurate tribute to the series' at hand. It does not feel as much a let down to the audience, as much as a blatant disrespectful move to the history of the games he is borrowing the characters from.

It truly just sounds like Sakurai just didn't even bother trying (or is intentionally misdirecting the public). Nothing he stated are problems that cannot be addressed, and creative minds use such perceived barriers a drive to creative even more ingenious and original work.

(In regard to those who claim we Ridley supporters are naive, I believe the largest distaste, if I have to generalize to the audience as a whole, comes from the tendency for said "toobigots" to be outright against any sort of positive mentality in the roster. If I post a list of 100 characters, I do not expect them all to make it. I make it for fun, and post it to show. The general faction of 'toobigots' would be the ones to spit on my neck, call me Susan, and send me on my way with a lunchbox. In other words, try to kill any sense of hope, in any avenue, even outside of Ridley. I rarely saw an individual vocalize Ridley was absolutely too big for this game, who likewise had an interesting vision for the game at all.)
Very true, also Star Fox just feels empty without Wolf to stir up trouble, and Wolf flash opponents. Sakurai really messed up on Star Fox, cutting a character, nerfing the other reps, and probably got the worst recorded clips from Fox and Falco's voice actors and put them in the game. I hate his trolling, and its one of the reasons I want him gone. I was OK with the supposed Kirby bias in brawl,but here its ridiculous. Kid Icarus got 2 newcomers. DK gets none, Metroid gets none, Star Fox loses one vet. I mean if he had to include a clone why not make Dixie a clone of Diddy? Dixie would have been far better than Dark Pit. We are all biased to a degree, the thing is Sakurai is horrible at controlling his bias. If I were game director, sure I'd have bias for some characters, but I'd contain it, and only go overboard on bias when all the vets, and highly requested newcomers are complete, until then just maybe do 1 or 2 newcomers I have a bias for, that aren't as highly requested, and I wouldn't be a ********* troll like Sakurai, and would actually hype people with pic of the day, maybe even pull a Duck Hunt trailer pic early on.
Sakurai better do character DLC if he knows what's good for him. Wolf and Krool are the top veteran and newcomer in the DLC poll here, I think we need them back and in first.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Very true, also Star Fox just feels empty without Wolf to stir up trouble, and Wolf flash opponents. Sakurai really messed up on Star Fox, cutting a character, nerfing the other reps, and probably got the worst recorded clips from Fox and Falco's voice actors and put them in the game. I hate his trolling, and its one of the reasons I want him gone. I was OK with the supposed Kirby bias in brawl,but here its ridiculous. Kid Icarus got 2 newcomers. DK gets none, Metroid gets none, Star Fox loses one vet. I mean if he had to include a clone why not make Dixie a clone of Diddy? Dixie would have been far better than Dark Pit. We are all biased to a degree, the thing is Sakurai is horrible at controlling his bias. If I were game director, sure I'd have bias for some characters, but I'd contain it, and only go overboard on bias when all the vets, and highly requested newcomers are complete, until then just maybe do 1 or 2 newcomers I have a bias for, that aren't as highly requested, and I wouldn't be a ********* troll like Sakurai, and would actually hype people with pic of the day, maybe even pull a Duck Hunt trailer pic early on.
Sakurai better do character DLC if he knows what's good for him. Wolf and Krool are the top veteran and newcomer in the DLC poll here, I think we need them back and in first.
I never once heard anyone assert Kirby, an extremely notable Nintendo franchise (and franchise in gaming). gained a popular Bias by Brawl by having its core trio finally make it to the stage.
I do enjoy Wolf, but I can easily see why one of the three representatives was put on low priority; I'm bummed it was not Falco in that position, but I can easily see how Wolf was lower tier.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I never once heard anyone assert Kirby, an extremely notable Nintendo franchise (and franchise in gaming). gained a popular Bias by Brawl by having its core trio finally make it to the stage.
I do enjoy Wolf, but I can easily see why one of the three representatives was put on low priority; I'm bummed it was not Falco in that position, but I can easily see how Wolf was lower tier.
The kirby bias came from Subspace Emissary, where Kirby was in more cut scenes than Mario. Falco should have gotten the boot or Sakurai should just say, hey, I'm going to bring Wolf back as DLC, but it won't until 2015. I also might add a newcomer too. Krool's moveset is gift wrapped for Sakurai. If he made Greninja a character because he came up with his moveset in one night, why not Krool, whose moveset has been around for years now.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
This is actually bad news. I mean, if Ridley is to big for SSB, than also KKR. I mean look at his size in DK64. Also in the DKC is double the size as DK.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Did you even play the game? Diddy is half the size of DK when on two legs. KKR is taller than DK though in DKC, but not Ridley sized.
Actually that's a misnomer. If you compare Super Metroid to Donkey Kong Country, Ridley and K. Rool are about the same size. K. Rool may even be slightly bigger proportionately.

The difference is, K. Rool's size varies more, and in several games he's a lot smaller and not that bigger than DK. Plus, proportionately, K. Rool is easier to resize than Ridley is. Ridley has small boney limbs, K. Rool is big and bulky. Resizing K. Rool slightly to make him slightly bigger than Bowser wouldn't look bad proportionately, and the fact that K. Rool has been DK-sized in the past is probably the best thing for K. Rool, something Sakurai wouldn't put against him. Even in the Smash trophies K. Rool's size is about the same as DK and he looks just fine.

The problems cited with Ridley are how he wouldn't be fast enough and how Ridley's wings are a lot bigger. K. Rool doesn't have such problems. Obviously I completely disagree with the Ridley comments, but either way, K. Rool doesn't have the same problems Ridley has.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I read about Ridley and only now got access to my laptop...I am ****ing pissed, if Sakurai says Ridley having small wings would break canon even though it happened in Fusion and Super Metroid, I have no hope for K.Rool, I am no longer defending Sakurai for anything, there is only so much bull**** I can take!

ikemachine

Smash Apprentice
Im just saying dont get your hopes up. This really does irk me though. If Sakurai thinks that this is a perfect game as is, then he really shouldnt make the next game

D

Deleted member

Im just saying dont get your hopes up. This really does irk me though. If Sakurai thinks that this is a perfect game as is, then he really shouldnt make the next game
I wouldn't worry about this announcement, this is almost certainly just PR on Sakurai's part. Of course he doesn't want criticism for "taking away content from the game" (which he technically isn't doing anyway, even if some people would perceive it as such); doing so before or right after the game launch would reflect badly on him (more than any character exclusions would do that's for sure). What he is probably doing is holding back the DLC announcement until later on (such as when the patch-on content and Mewtwo is made available). If anything, we should be optimistic that a significant DLC update is coming.
---
Anyway, Donkey Kong: The King of Swings is finally available on North American's Virtual Console. Personally I don't care, the multi-player feature got axed on this version (as well all handheld games on the Virtual Console) and you can get the same game on eBay at around the same price. But it is an appearance by King K. Rool, so...

BKupa666 should totally retitle the thread "King K. Rool is RELEVANT again!" or something like this for humor. :)

Edit: Brilliant edit. Glad to see people listen to me from time to time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
BKupa, have my children... Uhhh, just make sure to share them with David Wise...

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
K. Rool is actually a playable character in King of Swing, so I'll be buying it to show my support. :grin:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'll be buying King of Swing later myself, though not right away. I think the games actually look pretty good. I was really surprised that out of the blue we got King of Swing... while DKC/DKL1-3 are STILL waiting to come out in NA.

Please NoA, announce tomorrow that you've suddenly out of the blue released DKC1-3/DKL1-3. :D

Oh, and the title is EPIC. :D

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Actually, as I recall correctly, King of Swing is the very FIRST game where K. Rool was playable. Of course that's only because of the Rare buyout. K. Rool was supposed to be playable in Diddy Kong Pilot before that. Which is also why I really do hope K. Rool ends up in Diddy Kong Racing U, it'd be a nod back to the original Diddy Kong Pilot.

D

Deleted member

I'll be buying King of Swing later myself, though not right away. I think the games actually look pretty good. I was really surprised that out of the blue we got King of Swing... while DKC/DKL1-3 are STILL waiting to come out in NA.

Please NoA, announce tomorrow that you've suddenly out of the blue released DKC1-3/DKL1-3. :D

Oh, and the title is EPIC. :D
Same here. I thought that if we got any DKC games, it would be the original to celebrate it's 20th anniversary. Hopefully we get them very soon because I intend on snatching them all.

And King K. Rool is playable in King of Swings? Interesting.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Same here. I thought that if we got any DKC games, it would be the original to celebrate it's 20th anniversary. Hopefully we get them very soon because I intend on snatching them all.

And King K. Rool is playable in King of Swings? Interesting.
I spent a ton of money. I'm not buying the DK games just yet, I can't afford to. But I'll do so eventually.

Top Bottom