• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
BTW, can anyone give me some videos that relate to supporting king k rool for the smash ballot? I'm doing a cool video about k rool

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
Though it probably won't happen, I think a hilarious final smash would be K. Rool summoning King Kut-Out from DK64 to attack from the background, firing lasers and whatnot.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
I've been meaning to post in this thread since 2014 but never got around to. I always thought having K.Rool in Smash would be Kool, but never thought he was that likely until the Ballot where his chances sky rocketed, i still think his chances are good even after the Mii Fighter costume.
The only DKC character that would be better than K.Rool would be Bluster Kong with his final smash being
Another person besides me to mention Bluster Kong in smash, plus having Leo Luster as a final smash?

We need more people like you in this world.

If they have his belly facing the camera like Bowser I think he'll be fine. DK and K. Rool have rarely shared space in 3D games so I don't think it's the end of the world if it looks slightly off. He still dwarfs Diddy if nothing else.
This is what I was going to mention too. K.Rool can still show off his girth and size if his belly is somewhat facing the camera in his idle animation, without explicitly being seen as "small" compared to other heavyweights. I just hope he doesn't look stumpy or squished, which is one of the reasons I can see why people prefer the PAON proportions and look.

As long as he just fits under Battlefield platforms it should be ok :p

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I really hope people are writing in ideas for K. Rool to be a competitively viable heavyweight in the ballot (to have a 1 vs. 1 focus, in terms the developers will understand). Like @ dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 has said for a while now, we've had enough heavyweights follow the cookie-cutter "slow but strong in FFA" model and end up gathering dust once the competition amps up. K. Rool is a great chance to break the mold, but only if we, the voters, emphasize that we want the mold broken to begin with.

K. Rool's size can be conveyed by having him face the screen, and also to hunch him over slightly with part of his mass extending in the background. I did find it odd how big DK appeared compared to Bowser this time around as well, but that's just one match-up, like DK vs. K. Rool would be.

CelerinaTheJackrabbit

Smash Cadet
I really hope people are writing in ideas for K. Rool to be a competitively viable heavyweight in the ballot (to have a 1 vs. 1 focus, in terms the developers will understand). Like @ dangeraaron10 dangeraaron10 has said for a while now, we've had enough heavyweights follow the cookie-cutter "slow but strong in FFA" model and end up gathering dust once the competition amps up. K. Rool is a great chance to break the mold, but only if we, the voters, emphasize that we want the mold broken to begin with.

K. Rool's size can be conveyed by having him face the screen, and also to hunch him over slightly with part of his mass extending in the background. I did find it odd how big DK appeared compared to Bowser this time around as well, but that's just one match-up, like DK vs. K. Rool would be.
I agree. We really need a competitively-viable Heavy-weight outside of doubles. I mean, yes, I know there will always be the folks who main them anyways, Like GreenRanger with Donkey Kong, but it'd be really awesome to see a heavyweight really bring some exciting new styles to the table... besides, y'know, 'cookie-cutter slow but powerful.'

StormC

Smash Hero
It would be incredibly vindicating for K. Rool to end up as one of the best characters in the game after the public deems him to be "another useless heavyweight."

deleted

Smash Cadet
I had thought what if k rools dash attack was based of how he kinda used it as a rocket to charge at you like in dkc2

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Updated my old banner (originally a Miiverse drawing...) to be more Japanese friendly.

Old

New

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
It would be incredibly vindicating for K. Rool to end up as one of the best characters in the game after the public deems him to be "another useless heavyweight."
It would not be so much "vindicating" as "cathartic" for me as most of the Nintendo characters that I truly love, King K. Rool included, are heavy-weights. It would be nice to main one without having to outplay my opponent 100% of the match.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
So since the Republican debate has to do with polls and votes, it made me think of who was equivalent to each candidate in Smash.

King K Rool is obviously Donald Trump. He's the biggest name out there and people feel really strongly about him one way or the other I feel. He's the big shot in the race and he isn't intimated by anyone. Even Sakurai is a little scared of him. He fell off a little from the mii costume, but that only increased the talk about him.

Wolf is Jeb Bush. We've seen 2 similar to him before (Fox and Falco) but people still like him and want to see what he can bring to the table. What he lacks in moveset originality he makes up for in personality. He hasn't been around for a while (Last game was Command?) But he wants to triumph once again.

Shante is Ben Carson. She has this cult following and some strong support, and she's kind of the dark horse in the poll. I feel a lot of people are counting her out. Almost all of those who know her love her, and those who don't like her, simply don't know anything about her. She doesn't get much attention either (Fox didn't ask Carson anything).

Shovel Knight is Marco Rubio. At the beginning. people really thought he had a very good shot. But slowly his name falls out of people's mouths, as he slowly wishes to regain the support he once had.

The Ice Climbers are Mike Huckabee. They've been there before, and people always remember them. But we all know they won't get in to the dance.

Pichu is Chris Christe. Old news, and he has a small following but most people seem against him.

That's just my two cents. I'm going to add more later.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
The number one comparison I can make to K. Rool/Smash Bros. is X/Marvel vs. Capcom 3. X topped all but one popularity poll for that game, yet ended up as an alternate skin for Zero. That's not even getting into crap like Zero's winquote regarding him.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Dang, when are we going to get another nintendo direct? I want to hear more news on smash and future nintendo games, clearly there's something DK related in the works as well.

Morbi

Scavenger
So since the Republican debate has to do with polls and votes, it made me think of who was equivalent to each candidate in Smash.

King K Rool is obviously Donald Trump. He's the biggest name out there and people feel really strongly about him one way or the other I feel. He's the big shot in the race and he isn't intimated by anyone. Even Sakurai is a little scared of him. He fell off a little from the mii costume, but that only increased the talk about him.

Wolf is Jeb Bush. We've seen 2 similar to him before (Fox and Falco) but people still like him and want to see what he can bring to the table. What he lacks in moveset originality he makes up for in personality. He hasn't been around for a while (Last game was Command?) But he wants to triumph once again.

Shante is Ben Carson. She has this cult following and some strong support, and she's kind of the dark horse in the poll. I feel a lot of people are counting her out. Almost all of those who know her love her, and those who don't like her, simply don't know anything about her. She doesn't get much attention either (Fox didn't ask Carson anything).

Shovel Knight is Marco Rubio. At the beginning. people really thought he had a very good shot. But slowly his name falls out of people's mouths, as he slowly wishes to regain the support he once had.

The Ice Climbers are Mike Huckabee. They've been there before, and people always remember them. But we all know they won't get in to the dance.

Pichu is Chris Christe. Old news, and he has a small following but most people seem against him.

At least King K. Rool is not getting nearly as much negative press. I mean, he still has a chance.

CelerinaTheJackrabbit

Smash Cadet
Dang, when are we going to get another nintendo direct? I want to hear more news on smash and future nintendo games, clearly there's something DK related in the works as well.
I know, I'm dying to get some news as well. Its annoying not having any Smash news to look forward to.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
It's more than just not needing a waifu rubbing mini game, so not only do I not need it, it's ****ing creepy. It's very off putting and only reinforces the "Waifu Wars" insult that Fire Emblem gets, which is otherwise a very, very entertaining Turn Based Strategy game. There's patting your Pikachu on the head like a puppy or giving a belly rub to your Snorlax (<3), then there's inviting virtual people into your virtual room where you rub them sensually. Sakurai has a point about equating this to a dating sim. Awakening had marriages and kids but that was just expanding on the Support system and also bringing in kids via the Generation 2 soldiers, but at this rate it might become a full blown dating sim with some wars on the side for flavor.

I say this all as a huge Awakening fan who looked at the marriage system as a way to "breed" my army for best results which I have mixed feelings about from a moral standpoint but is hilarious in hindsight.

Relevant comic:

Anyway, back to K. Rool. I'm actually really excited about he prospect of a largely projectile and trap based superheavy. Would probably be my new main.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I haven't been keeping up with Nintendo lately, what is the hint that theres something DK related in the works? K Rool or a new DK game would make my day.
In the last Nintendo direct, it showed Satura Itawa holding a banana as a tease before the new Star Fox game trailer, and K. Rool's name has been trademarked now on the DK Jungle Climber game on the nintendo e-shop. Reggie also teased a DK related thing in his workout video to the preview of e3 with him eating a bunch of bananas and playing dkc1 with a match against boss boom box.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Funny, I'd almost say K. Rool is more of a Hillary Clinton, where he's been around forever and is largely accepted as a frontrunner, but has every other candidate labeling him "boring" and selectively feigning concern about perceived scandals that other candidates are complicit in as well (email/embassy attack cover-ups = muhrelevance).

Personality-wise, though, definitely Trump. He could even throw his hair as a projectile, heh.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Funny, I'd almost say K. Rool is more of a Hillary Clinton, where he's been around forever and is largely accepted as a frontrunner, but has every other candidate labeling him "boring" and selectively feigning concern about perceived scandals that other candidates are complicit in as well (email/embassy attack cover-ups = muhrelevance).

Personality-wise, though, definitely Trump. He could even throw his hair as a projectile, heh.
I do not know much about politics, to be honest. But is she not democratic?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I do not know much about politics, to be honest. But is she not democratic?
In terms of the party she's part of, yes. In terms of ideology, debatable (yes on social matters, not so much on foreign policy and approach with Wall St.). But let's keep this K. Rool focused, since the votes that matter in here are ones for the Smash ballot.

K. Rool being competitively viable would be such a great blow to all the people who demean heavyweights and their fans. It's almost elitism at times, where you can't pick a heavyweight without the other guy smirking and wondering why you're not making the "correct" choice of using a lightweight combo maniac. 3/4 DLC characters thus far being competitively decent gives me hope, we just have to hammer home through the ballot that K. Rool can be the next Snake, rather than the next Falcondorf.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I sometimes wonder if the idea that King K. Rool is a separate entity from Kaptain or Baron is still a thing over at Smash Bros. HQ. It's especially confusing, as Dixie's Melee trophy makes it clear they knew that Kaptain and King were the same person, but then we have King's Brawl trophy. Wrinkly's 4 trophy mentions Kaptain, but that's the only reference to any of his disguises.

It's a silly fear, but my blood turns to ice at the thought of Rool being turned into a Mii costume because the team only used his appearance from DKC1 and couldn't think of enough to do with him.

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Dedede is perfect.

Let's not deviate too much into other Nintendo villains in this thread. If K. Rool is in DKCR3, do you guys see him dressing up again or being in his King form?
I'd like it to be like DKC64, where he spends most of the game in king form, but then the final boss nails us with an awesome boss fight costume complete with cool new moves. However, since DKCR3 would be a sort of revival for K. Rool though, I could see them going king form by default. His boss fight better be new and unique either way though.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I sometimes wonder if the idea that King K. Rool is a separate entity from Kaptain or Baron is still a thing over at Smash Bros. HQ. It's especially confusing, as Dixie's Melee trophy makes it clear they knew that Kaptain and King were the same person, but then we have King's Brawl trophy. Wrinkly's 4 trophy mentions Kaptain, but that's the only reference to any of his disguises.

It's a silly fear, but my blood turns to ice at the thought of Rool being turned into a Mii costume because the team only used his appearance from DKC1 and couldn't think of enough to do with him.
I doubt they would think that. A basic investigation into the character would lead them in the right direction. In fact, even the japanese Wikipedia mentions the issue at the end of its article on K. Rool. See the reference to "「The Many Faces of K. Rool」" and "「While K. Rool may have ditched his ridiculous disguises, his intentions are as evil as ever.". The first is a quote from Rare's website describing the famous King, Kaptain, and Baron group render. The second is a quote from DK64's manual. As far as I can tell, the JP article translates both of these quotes and discusses them, concluding that these quotes suggest all three characters are the same.

I'm sure Sakurai and his team have the resources to figure it out, if they believed otherwise in the first place. I believe only Brawl (not the JP versions of DKC1-3) claims they are different people.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I doubt they would think that. A basic investigation into the character would lead them in the right direction. In fact, even the japanese Wikipedia mentions the issue at the end of its article on K. Rool. See the reference to "「The Many Faces of K. Rool」" and "「While K. Rool may have ditched his ridiculous disguises, his intentions are as evil as ever.". The first is a quote from Rare's website describing the famous King, Kaptain, and Baron group render. The second is a quote from DK64's manual. As far as I can tell, the JP article translates both of these quotes and discusses them, concluding that these quotes suggest all three characters are the same.

I'm sure Sakurai and his team have the resources to figure it out, if they believed otherwise in the first place. I believe only Brawl (not the JP versions of DKC1-3) claims they are different people.
There's only one fat green croc with a bulging bloodshot eye.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's more than just not needing a waifu rubbing mini game, so not only do I not need it, it's ****ing creepy. It's very off putting and only reinforces the "Waifu Wars" insult that Fire Emblem gets, which is otherwise a very, very entertaining Turn Based Strategy game. There's patting your Pikachu on the head like a puppy or giving a belly rub to your Snorlax (<3), then there's inviting virtual people into your virtual room where you rub them sensually. Sakurai has a point about equating this to a dating sim. Awakening had marriages and kids but that was just expanding on the Support system and also bringing in kids via the Generation 2 soldiers, but at this rate it might become a full blown dating sim with some wars on the side for flavor.

I say this all as a huge Awakening fan who looked at the marriage system as a way to "breed" my army for best results which I have mixed feelings about from a moral standpoint but is hilarious in hindsight.

Relevant comic:

Anyway, back to K. Rool. I'm actually really excited about he prospect of a largely projectile and trap based superheavy. Would probably be my new main.
I think the people who hate the My Room feature should at least realize that you can't rub chests, only their faces

StormC

Smash Hero
I didn't even think about Dixie's trophy in Melee. Talk about an oversight.

Man, why does K. Rool have a bunch of Wikipedia articles in other languages but not his own in English?

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Even though it's probably not likely to ever happen, would anybody be opposed to Bluster Kong actually appearing as a minor antagonist in a future Donkey Kong game? Maybe as an accomplice to K. Rool, or just as an annoying nuisance that plays an a unique mechanic in a level, or maybe even as an end of area boss? Just an interesting thought. I could never see him being a final boss or major/main antagonist though.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
It's a cultural thing in Japan, to display affection by touch. Bathing together is seen as a form of communal bonding.

Not saying I know everything, or that it's not weird or anything, but just keep it in mind before getting all riled up about it.

Although marriage/romance with incestuous intent = ew.

I think this whole debacle is a result of fans seeing fanservice being ramped up from Awakening, and this whole skinship/bathing/stripping thing as a symptom of the problem. Which I get. No one likes seeing what they love/like getting tarnished by dumb trends.

Also. K. Rool. Gold belly plate. Who'd like that if that was on him in Smash? Yay or nay?

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
It's a cultural thing in Japan, to display affection by touch. Bathing together is seen as a form of communal bonding.

Not saying I know everything, or that it's not weird or anything, but just keep it in mind before getting all riled up about it.

Although marriage/romance with incestuous intent = ew.

I think this whole debacle is a result of fans seeing fanservice being ramped up from Awakening, and this whole skinship/bathing/stripping thing as a symptom of the problem. Which I get. No one likes seeing what they love/like getting tarnished by dumb trends.

Also. K. Rool. Gold belly plate. Who'd like that if that was on him in Smash? Yay or nay?
I was just about to quote you when I noticed your text was edited before it loaded up on my page. Neat. Anyways, I just think it's a step in the wrong direction for Fire Emblem is all. But I'm sure there's plenty of people that love that kinda thing. Be it "cultural" or otherwise.

Oh I'm sure K. Rool will have a gold belly plate because his Mii Costume certainly does, and that Mii Costume (as discussed ad infinitum here already) doesn't use an existing model, and some boldly speculate it's taken from a model of a playable K. Rool in the game (since all Mii Costumes are texture rips from trophies or other models). It seems like the general consensus is full on Rare design with PAON gem because it stands out better.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I was just about to quote you when I noticed your text was edited before it loaded up on my page. Neat. Anyways, I just think it's a step in the wrong direction for Fire Emblem is all. But I'm sure there's plenty of people that love that kinda thing. Be it "cultural" or otherwise.

Oh I'm sure K. Rool will have a gold belly plate because his Mii Costume certainly does, and that Mii Costume (as discussed ad infinitum here already) doesn't use an existing model, and some boldly speculate it's taken from a model of a playable K. Rool in the game (since all Mii Costumes are texture rips from trophies or other models). It seems like the general consensus is full on Rare design with PAON gem because it stands out better.
Yeah I agree, I don't like the direction either. I mean at least the My Room models are nice. But there could have been other nice things. Oh well.

As for the outfits, that's what I'm guessing as well or more hoping for, because they probably culled Chrom and Samus' outfit straight from their official models.

Is there Paon gem bigger or something? It thought it was always light blue/diamond-shaped.

StormC

Smash Hero
Is there Paon gem bigger or something? It thought it was always light blue/diamond-shaped.
It's the same size but the blue makes it stand out more.

I didn't even know the Rare design had a jewel for the longest time.

Top Bottom