• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Likely the day of the official Japanese release. That is, unless something like the Ridley Thread happens. :p Don't take that as an invitation, haha.
Alright.

I posted this in the character discussion thread, but I don't understand how the likes of Mega Man can be included, but none of the most popular first party characters. Even though there was a lot of doubt prior to his reveal, after MM had been shown, people said it was obvious in hindsight given his popularity and moveset potential. So why him, but no one from Nintendo with the same credentials to their name? Of the most popular choices, Mega Man and Palutena were the only ones who made it, and we all know why the latter did.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I just realized...Chunky didn't happen. D:
Well ****. I actually thought we had gotten at least Chunky as a goddamn assist trophy. Jesus more disappointment, should have really been more prepared for the inevitable I suppose. God I at least hope the DK stage is a new stage that isn't complete **** ala Rumble Falls on Wii. DK deserves so much more in Smash than what it got, it really did, such a big and important franchise with so much to draw from, and it got absolutely nothing but trophies and pissed off fans. Well I had fun with you guys here and always loved seeing what you had to say and was always pretty surprised by the amount of constant support we managed to have here in this thread. Shame it's about to be locked away and forgotten, if there's any chance for DLC I'll be rallying for King K. Rool's presence through that, but man I'm hurting right now is all I can really say. I'd really love to hear what Sakurai has to say as justification for ignoring one of Nintendo's biggest franchises (And what he has to say about Ridley gate for that matter).

Edit: And if I see a Gangplank Galleon stage with K. Rool as a boss in the Wii U version, I'm going to go absolutely mental and not in a good way...

Last edited:

Kaptain K. Roolenstein

Smash Apprentice
I won't give up hope on K. Rool but honestly, I've had my head wrapped around him ever since Tropical Freeze was announced. It's been soooooooo long. I was thinking about ducking out of the internet recently anyway. I'll still come by occasionally to check up on whats happening but I really need a break. It's been great fun meeting people here who love the same villain as I do especially during these tough times with him not really being in, well, anything. But like I always say, he'll find a way back, I'm sure of it. Take kare my fellow Kutthroats!

Bananija

Count of Trickery
I. . .am not giving up hope until we see the Wii U version. Call me delusional, setting myself up for disappointment, whatever, my expectations are still at rock bottom. That being said. . .

It makes perfect sense to me that the three most hyped characters, all villains we've seen neither hide nor hair of, would be held back to bring hype to the version of the game that was going to have an uphill battle selling copies from the start. I mean, what else are they gonna use to hype it, a few half-baked single player modes?

Sakurai may be backwards as far as gameplay goes, but he's not completely incompetent with content.
Make sense to me. I think that keeping K.Rool, Ridley and Mewtwo for the Wii U version and then release them as free DLC on the 3DS when it will came out is the only logic reason to not include them in the 3DS roster.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Almost done editing my final thoughts on the roster video. I'm going to make the K. Rool one later tonight or tomorrow. I'm not a big youtuber or anything, but my Smash related videos get a few hundred views each, and the old/outdated Possible Donkey Kong newcomers one got 600 views. I'll link the main page of the DLC movement in the video.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I. . .am not giving up hope until we see the Wii U version. Call me delusional, setting myself up for disappointment, whatever, my expectations are still at rock bottom. That being said. . .

It makes perfect sense to me that the three most hyped characters, all villains we've seen neither hide nor hair of, would be held back to bring hype to the version of the game that was going to have an uphill battle selling copies from the start. I mean, what else are they gonna use to hype it, a few half-baked single player modes?

Sakurai may be backwards as far as gameplay goes, but he's not completely incompetent with content.
@ BKupa666 BKupa666 , is there a game plan for K. Rool if he's not announced as upcoming DLC (or what I'm waiting for, if hackers don't find anything regarding his playability in the game files)? I think I recall you saying something about rallying for him on Twitter, FB, petitions and whatnot.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Once again, follow KRool4Smash4 to continue supporting K. Rool as DLC (or in DK games in general). If you don't have a twitter, make one! It's fast and easy.

I reiterate this again given the looming end to this thread.

It's truly been a pleasure to be a part of this community. Things have not ended very nicely for us, but I am so glad that we have raised K. Rool's prominence and "carried the torch" despite his Nordic and Wooden replacements. You rock!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm hoping that something will come from linking the two versions of the game together - it's weird that there are four blank spots on the 3DS roster, and Nintendo literally needs Smash Bros. to sell Wii U systems.

Either that or DLC; as long as we get any combination of Ridley, Mewtwo, or K. Rool, I'd be fine with it.

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
Wow really hoping that Nintendo sees some of the outcry against this roster because I think it's surprising how many people are upset by this

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I think they will if they need this game for the Wii U to survive or I hope so
We're sadly the minority. People are going to buy the game regardless of the roster.

I think what makes this all worse is that out of all the popular character choices, there were only four I was actively opposed to. They all got in.

Last edited:

Vez

Smash Apprentice
Of the most popular choices, Mega Man and Palutena were the only ones who made it, and we all know why the latter did.
What about Little Mac?

But I get what you're saying. It feels like the only character where Sakurai took popularity into consideration was Mega Man. It was obvious he was going to add Palutena anyway, same with Little Mac to a lesser extent thanks to the Wii Punch-Out!! game. It's such a drastic change from Brawl where almost all of the characters were very popular. It feels like he just added who he personally wanted this time around. Maybe that's due to the fact that he's getting a bit bored with making these games, I dunno.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I'm sad.... :(
We all are. But we're taking it better than other threads I've seen.

Guys, I really don't want to stop talking with all of you. Even if it was all for nothing, I've really enjoyed the time I've spent here talking to all of you. I propose a social group to keep in contact at least.

What about Little Mac?

But I get what you're saying. It feels like the only character where Sakurai took popularity into consideration was Mega Man. It was obvious he was going to add Palutena anyway, same with Little Mac to a lesser extent thanks to the Wii Punch-Out!! game. It's such a drastic change from Brawl where almost all of the characters were very popular. It feels like he just added who he personally wanted this time. Maybe that's due to the fact that he's getting a bit bored with making these games, I dunno.
How the hell did I miss Little Mac? Some future Mac user I am.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I agree. I posted the Kampaign's twitter above, but it's harder to discuss things on Twitter. That's more for "business" of the Kampaign. Maybe someone should make a Facebook group (or something equivalent)?

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Regarding big three trophies - iirc it was confirmed the 3DS and Wii U versions would have different ones. Ridley's at least is likely present in that as that's where he'll appear as a stage boss.
Yeah, but as it stands, there isn't a Mewtwo trophy on the 3ds version. I can understand K Rool or Ridley being WiiU only trophies, since they've only appeared in console games for the most part, but Mewtwo is far more linked to portables. You mean to tell me one of the most popular characters from Nintendo's most prolific handheld series, if not, handhelds period would have zero presence on the 3ds version of Smash? That in itself is fishy. Mind you, not something to go by, but worth mentioning.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I honestly don't know what to feel. The DK series gets absolutely nothing for newcomers (and general content) while KI gets two newcomers ( and a crap ton of content). Sakurai, you're a great game designer and all, but you got to stop being so biased toward the games you work on. It's getting ridiculous. Find the balance and give other series some spotlight. Hopefully, there is something in the works for the Wii U version and hope there is more DK content for Wii U, but only time will tell.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I honestly don't know what to feel. The DK series gets absolutely nothing for newcomers (and general content) while KI gets two newcomers ( and a crap ton of content). Sakurai, you're a great game designer and all, but you got to stop being so biased toward the games you work on. It's getting ridiculous. Find the balance and give other series some spotlight. Hopefully, there is something in the works for the Wii U version and hope there is more DK content for Wii U, but only time will tell.
Clearly the solution is to turn off Reset Bomb Forest and all Kid Icarus items out of spite.

The Xbox One would've destroyed the gaming Industry if that was true.
I think this is a whole different issue. This game's roster isn't blatantly anti-consumer, just disappointing for a lot of core fans.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Yeah, but as it stands, there isn't a Mewtwo trophy on the 3ds version. I can understand K Rool or Ridley being WiiU only trophies, since they've only appeared in console games for the most part, but Mewtwo is far more linked to portables. You mean to tell me one of the most popular characters from Nintendo's most prolific handheld series, if not, handhelds period would have zero presence on the 3ds version of Smash? That in itself is fishy. Mind you, not something to go by, but worth mentioning.
No, which is why I only really went into any detail with Ridley. Mewtwo is something I still cannot get my head around - my best guess on the whole thing is that if he is not there in the 3DS version in any form then they have took heed of his immense popularity by making him the front runner for possible DLC.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
We're sadly the minority. People are going to buy the game regardless of the roster.

I think what makes this all worse is that out of all the popular character choices, there were only four I was actively opposed to. They all got in.
Just out of curiosity, which four are those? I ask because I'm pretty much in the same boat. I didn't want Palutena, Dark Pit, Shulk, or Rosalina to join, but we got all of those.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Just curious, who were the four? I'm figuring Dark Pit was at least one of those, but who were the other 3?

Edit: :4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
No, which is why I only really went into any detail with Ridley. Mewtwo is something I still cannot get my head around - my best guess on the whole thing is that if he is not there in the 3DS version in any form then they have took heed of his immense popularity by making him the front runner for possible DLC.
Even if that theory was anything more than strawgrasping, it would be awful.

"Hey guys, see those characters you wanted in the game? Well, they're playable, but you just gotta pay a little fee to enjoy them, worth it, heh?"

I'd like to believe Nintendo isn't on the same level as Capcom yet. The worst is, I would probably still buy it. I hate myself.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In all honesty, I'm not all that bummed about potentially a lack of K. Rool, because it was looking increasingly less likely anyway. Although I would've far preferred K. Rool, I'm more salty about Ridley and Mewtwo. Ridley was handled horribly bad, and Mewtwo should've been the first Melee veteran to come back.

"Hey guys, see those characters you wanted in the game? Well, they're playable, but you just gotta pay a little fee to enjoy them, worth it, heh?"

I'd like to believe Nintendo isn't on the same level as Capcom yet. The worst is, I would probably still buy it. I hate myself.
In all honesty, I could see it happening. People will buy the game regardless, why not make the DLC characters the most requested ones? I mean, I'd rather not have to buy my favorites, but if K. Rool was DLC, I'd definitely buy him separately. Same with Isaac.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
HAHAHA ALL YA MAD SALTY TERAS BE GOOD STAY SALLTYYYTYYY!!! :chuckle::psycho::laugh:

No but seriously R.I.P all the highly requested characters that were denied entrance because there wasn't enough time to add them.But there was still time to add 40 KIU items and 2 newcomers from a game that sold less than a remake

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Clearly the solution is to turn off Reset Bomb Forest and all Kid Icarus items out of spite.
It's not the stages or the items I have a problem with, it's (IMO) the fact that KI gets two newcomers and DK not even one. I really like the Palutena addition, but Dark Pit is an unnecessary addition.

Looking at the bright side, Dark Pit will be my new punching bag.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Hey guys - sorry to hear it. As a DK main who basically wasn't really ever into the series (I came to SNES later, and well, once platformers progressed, DKC did not age well, DK64, Diddy Kong Racing and the recent DKC games are fantastic though) I kinda overlooked other characters from the series, but I do appreciate the flag of platforming excellence between 1994 - to Mario 64 basically.

I still ultimately think it's about the DK perception in Japan, hell, even the streamers took HOURS to even select our fine ape friends.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Its really strange how the DK series got shafted. No new items, no Assist Trophies, no new stage, no newcomer.

Both Dixie Kong and K. Rool had incredibly large request fanbases both in Japan and outside it, yet Sakurai ignores this series.

The lack of Ridley, Mewtwo, and a DK newcomer is perplexing.

Well, at least K. Rool still has a shot to be DLC unlike Ridley who is likely a boss. Mewtwo most likely will get in as DLC too.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
It's not the stages or the items I have a problem with, it's (IMO) the fact that KI gets two newcomers and DK not even one. I really like the Palutena addition, but Dark Pit is an unnecessary addition.

Looking at the bright side, Dark Pit will be my new punching bag.
I was making a joke.

One of the KI characters is a clone, meaning he took next to no development time, but I don't see why they couldn't have done something like Raichu as a Pikachu clone instead of more KI stuff. Hell, I would take Pichu's return over Dark Pit.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Its really strange how the DK series got shafted. No new items, no Assist Trophies, no new stage, no newcomer.

Both Dixie Kong and K. Rool had incredibly large request fanbases both in Japan and outside it, yet Sakurai ignores this series.

The lack of Ridley, Mewtwo, and a DK newcomer is perplexing.

Well, at least K. Rool still has a shot to be DLC unlike Ridley who is likely a boss. Mewtwo most likely will get in as DLC too.
Bias and priorities.

Or spiting the fanbase.

I don't honestly know.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I want them in. I hope they get a chance for DLC.
But as of now THIS is the final roster, and i think every single one of us knows that this whole "Big 3" thing was only a Smashboards thing. No one should feel owed for characters we all knew could very well not be in the game, so i suggest to just calm down and digest it.
I don't feel "owed" anything, but I certainly do get a bit agitated at this kind of a roster. You are welcome to believe what you believe, but to me, Sakurai wanted first and foremost to make this game a surprise. We have seen that in the roster selection. We have seen that in the change to cutscenes and one player. We have seen that in his entire marketing campaign.

I do not think the standards that 'most people' have are very brilliant, and a good job marketing is brilliance. If the idea is to give individuals a surprise character, then there is absolutely no way he did not plan on a leak ahead of time, nor the inevitability of someone playing the game and leaking information early.

I do not EXPECT anything more, but I think to ignore the obvious nature that a leak was a given, and then state things in contradiction that "He's angry about a leak," are an odd fallacy. Sakurai is not some child working on a game for the first time, nor is he doing this alone. He has a huge team helping him to make this the best experience possible, and that includes the lead up into the game. We have seen this in the advertising scheme for over a year, in the daily updated website, in the trolled forums, in the tournament acceptance, in the wider number of interviews Sakurai has taken on this time around.

The fallacy that this is all we are getting is reliant upon a precedent that a game is a stationary, unchanging thing. We already know this is not true, because the Wii U version, which is slated to be a different game, and quite needs to be to justify sales.
Is this all we have right now? Yes. Is this AN end point? Absolutely. Is there a plethora of evidence to suggest we are not done? Honey, you bet your Menorah that is the case.

Expectations? Never. Clear hope given the logical factors which drive the game, satisfying fans and making money? These two things nearly assure we are not done, just break it down.
If there is one thing that bothers me, it is when detractors try to stifle hope simply because they do not have any. What an unsatisfying way to live life.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I was making a joke.

One of the KI characters is a clone, meaning he took next to no development time, but I don't see why they couldn't have done something like Raichu as a Pikachu clone instead of more KI stuff. Hell, I would take Pichu's return over Dark Pit.
Oh my bad.

Still strange that we haven't seen any of the Big 3 in some capacity. Is any other DK trophies confirmed besides Squawks?

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

Believe me, it's not a theory that I am subscribing to - a shot in the dark when asked to explain Mewtwo's absence is all it is.

This said nothing would sell DLC better. I do believe Nintendo has some presence of mind with who sells DLC. For example, I don't think it's a coincidence at all that Tanooki Mario/Cat Peach are bundled as characters with Link for MK8 DLC - they are getting people to pay for half-baked excuses for characters which no-one would otherwise buy by forcing them to be bundled with the character they know everyone wants to buy.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Welp, all my hope has already been tossed out the window, so I'm not looking to console anyone, but you should be happy anyway. I'm sure at least one of the characters that were confirmed was one that you really wanted to get in, so be happy that you got that character and play as that character a lot. That's what I'm gonna do.

Top Bottom