• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Totally agree DKC and Metroid both feel so underrepresented (but Metroid doesn't have many characters), I'm really hoping we get a new one realistically we should have had second rep of diddy in Melee but with Rare leaving around the same time it was a big mess IIRC. If it wasn't for that we may have had 4-5 characters by now. I was thinking the same thing about Kid Icarus, Sakurai wanted to put him in 64, I think, imagine the boost that franchise would have gotten, surely we would have had many more KI games by now and we wouldn't need to get two newcomers from a series with only three games all at once!
Ahem, while Metroid only has a handful of iconic characters, there are tons of secondary characters with a ton of potential, like the 12 bounty hunters from prime 3 and hunters, but this is not the place to argue it

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
Ahem, while Metroid only has a handful of iconic characters, there are tons of secondary characters with a ton of potential, like the 12 bounty hunters from prime 3 and hunters, but this is not the place to argue it
I'm not arguing it doesn't have characters! I'm pretty sleepy right now so if it sounded like that sorry I meant that there isn't many frequently returning characters that can warrant playable status but I would love characters from Prime either way you're right neither the time or place

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm just tired of being told that we, as a franchise, don't deserve a third character. Be it K. Rool or Dixie, the Donkey Kong series absolutely deserves more representation than some of the other series in this game that have a glut of characters, stages, items and ATs. According to the leak, we don't even have a new stage on the 3DS. That's really discouraging no matter how you look at it.
Actually, I think the leak PROVES DK will get a new stage on 3DS, they just didn't show all the stages (as they didn't show all the characters, either). Mother and F-Zero, franchises that haven't gotten games in forever, have brand new stages on 3DS. I think they're just showing off returning stages first, but DK, Metroid, and Star Fox will get extra stages. Gear Getaway really hints at a new DK stage, too.

Balmora

Smash Rookie
I'm just tired of being told that we, as a franchise, don't deserve a third character. Be it K. Rool or Dixie, the Donkey Kong series absolutely deserves more representation than some of the other series in this game that have a glut of characters, stages, items and ATs. According to the leak, we don't even have a new stage on the 3DS. That's really discouraging no matter how you look at it.
I agree, the Donkey Kong series definitely deserves more representation. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is one of the main selling points of the Wii U right now, and it wasn't too long ago when DKC Returns was released on both the Wii and 3DS. That alone is more than can be said for most franchises in Smash Bros, and Donkey Kong is also one of the most deeply rooted franchises in Nintendo history. With those two things in mind along with plenty of good options for likable characters, Donkey Kong is one of the most deserving franchises by far.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I think it's no question that the DK series absolutely deserves two newcomers in this game. I'm absolutely fine with Kid Icarus getting ONE newcomer, but two? That is absolutely ridiculous. Even though Kid Icarus started back in 1986, the Donkey Kong series as a whole has a lot more history for Nintendo and much more success. Not trying to bash Kid Icarus or anything, but it's frustrating to see Sakurai show so much bias for one game.
Exactly. Its pissing me off.

Needs more Lanky
And K. Lumsy too.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Attention K. Rool fans:

This is your Donkey Kong series in Smash.

This is the series your Donkey Kong series could be in Smash with Sakurai developing Donkey Kong Super Star Uprising Air Ride Adventure.

Sign today to petition Nintendo for this to happen!!
Goddammit. This just makes me realize how insulting this all is. Even Metroid is getting better treatment. At least they have a decent selection of Assist Trophies. The only DK one with any mention might be just a rumor.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
DK is easily deserving of 4 reps, it deserved 2 reps in Melee since that's when the DK franchise was coming off it's prime years since DK 64 was only a few years before it. The whole Rare buy out made things complicated and strained when it came to DK even though it shouldn't have. Now we have this time frame where DK had taken a back seat for a time and was now renewed with the Returns series.

Thing is, people who say DK either:

A) dosent deserve a new rep/won't get one due to it's relevancy

B) Thinks K.Rool never has or had a shot

Is most likely to young to remember the impact DK had in the 90s or never played the games. Saying K.Rool has no chance is probably the dumbest statement someone could make. The only argument anyone has against K.Rool is his relevancy which he's only been absent from TWO major DK titles! (I'm not counting Jungle Beat IMO it's not major)

Ganon has been absent from multiple Zelda titles but his relevancy never comes into question. Which when you really think about it Ganondorf has only appeared in 3 Zelda games. Ganon in pig form has been in more games but he still remains abscent. King K. Rool is to DK what Bowser is to Mario and the only reason why Bowser is more prevalent is due to Mario being Nintendos flagship franchise. Last I checked there's even been Mario titles without Bowser, granted VERY few.

If relevancy was a reason to ignore characters here's a good list of characters we wouldn't have

R.O.B
Ice Climbers
Pit
Mr. Game and Watch
Dr.Mario
Ness (who even got in OVER Lucas who was MORE relevant at the time)

That's off the top of my head could be more I'm not thinking of.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Even when I get a 3DS or 2DS, I won't get Uprising cause if I get Smash I basically get the same thing. :rolleyes:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Goddammit. This just makes me realize how insulting this all is. Even Metroid is getting better treatment. At least they have a decent selection of Assist Trophies. The only DK one with any mention might be just a rumor.
Jokes aside, the sad thing is, minus one or two of the obscure items and enemies, this is almost exactly what Donkey Kong should get under any reasonable developer.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Attention K. Rool fans:

This is your Donkey Kong series in Smash.

This is the series your Donkey Kong series could be in Smash with Sakurai developing Donkey Kong Super Star Uprising Air Ride Adventure.

Sign today to petition Nintendo for this to happen!!
I love DK and K. Rool and all, but sorry, I'm not signing that petition. If it was a petition to get K. Rool into Smash Bros. I'd have signed it, but I'm not that petty. Fact of the matter is that the DK franchise is perfectly fine the way it is without Sakurai developing the games, they've always been amazing and DK has never stopped being popular, relevant, or selling well.

I think it's no question that the DK series absolutely deserves two newcomers in this game. I'm absolutely fine with Kid Icarus getting ONE newcomer, but two? That is absolutely ridiculous. Even though Kid Icarus started back in 1986, the Donkey Kong series as a whole has a lot more history for Nintendo and much more success. Not trying to bash Kid Icarus or anything, but it's frustrating to see Sakurai show so much bias for one game.

And K. Lumsy too.
This I completely agree with, though. As far as Dark Pit goes... well, I wasn't bothered too much by Lucina, and if Dark Pit is the same as Lucina, it wouldn't bother me too much either. What does bother me is that Dixie potentially wasn't considered for that role as well, while K. Rool may have been ignored (although honestly, evidence still points to Sakurai teasing K. Rool through all his Kremling posts).

Stages? At this point, it looks to be like DK is probably getting MORE stages than Kid Icarus. We don't have any new DK stages yet, and it seems completely obvious that DK WILL be getting a new stage on 3DS, so naturally the Wii U version will need to match up. DK could get two new stages on Wii U, or a new stage and a returning stage, although I can't really think of a good returning stage. There's NO WAY Mother and F-Zero will get new stages while DK and Metroid are relegated to just returning stages. Both franchises will get a new stage on 3DS.

I also have a love-hate relationship with this post, because even though DK deserves more content, the post implies that Kid Icarus didn't deserve to be brought back at all, which I think is stupid. Sakurai decided to work on bringing back an old classic that was popular, and the new game was popular as well. Both deserve content. Yes, KI's representation IS excessive, but the DK franchise DOESN'T NEED Sakurai.

I'd rather have Sakurai revive a different franchise than develop a game in an already extremely popular franchise that doesn't need a developer like him behind it.

Evidence also further points to the possibility of Diddy Kong Racing 2 being a legit development if Nintendo is going to put other franchises in Mario Kart as DLC before even Donkey Kong, especially when Diddy was already in existing MK games.

Just saw.

I will not let a leak ruin our fun.

THE KING IS BACK. I WILL BET MY FAMILY ON IT.
This is the attitude I will maintain. I still think the evidence points towards K. Rool's inclusion.

This is the one problem I have. I don't have any problems with Kid Icarus having content, and I don't want Sakurai to develop the next DK game. I just want Sakurai to acknowledge the DK franchise, but honestly, we haven't seen everything yet. I'd say evidence points to us having plenty of DK content not yet shown off, because Sakurai is saving the best for last. We'll probably be getting about three stages (potentially all new) and at least one newcomer, and naturally an AT. Items? We'll see, but I'm not counting on DK items.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I also have a love-hate relationship with this post, because even though DK deserves more content, the post implies that Kid Icarus didn't deserve to be brought back at all, which I think is stupid. Sakurai decided to work on bringing back an old classic that was popular, and the new game was popular as well. Both deserve content. Yes, KI's representation IS excessive, but the DK franchise DOESN'T NEED Sakurai.
The intended implication was that this is what Kid Icarus would probably get if Sakurai didn't develop Uprising and somebody else, like Retro Studios, did.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I love DK and K. Rool and all, but sorry, I'm not signing that petition. If it was a petition to get K. Rool into Smash Bros. I'd have signed it, but I'm not that petty. Fact of the matter is that the DK franchise is perfectly fine the way it is without Sakurai developing the games, they've always been amazing and DK has never stopped being popular, relevant, or selling well.

This I completely agree with, though. As far as Dark Pit goes... well, I wasn't bothered too much by Lucina, and if Dark Pit is the same as Lucina, it wouldn't bother me too much either. What does bother me is that Dixie potentially wasn't considered for that role as well, while K. Rool may have been ignored (although honestly, evidence still points to Sakurai teasing K. Rool through all his Kremling posts).

Stages? At this point, it looks to be like DK is probably getting MORE stages than Kid Icarus. We don't have any new DK stages yet, and it seems completely obvious that DK WILL be getting a new stage on 3DS, so naturally the Wii U version will need to match up. DK could get two new stages on Wii U, or a new stage and a returning stage, although I can't really think of a good returning stage. There's NO WAY Mother and F-Zero will get new stages while DK and Metroid are relegated to just returning stages. Both franchises will get a new stage on 3DS.

I'd rather have Sakurai revive a different franchise than develop a game in an already extremely popular franchise that doesn't need a developer like him behind it.

Evidence also further points to the possibility of Diddy Kong Racing 2 being a legit development if Nintendo is going to put other franchises in Mario Kart as DLC before even Donkey Kong, especially when Diddy was already in existing MK games.

This is the attitude I will maintain. I still think the evidence points towards K. Rool's inclusion.

This is the one problem I have. I don't have any problems with Kid Icarus having content, and I don't want Sakurai to develop the next DK game. I just want Sakurai to acknowledge the DK franchise, but honestly, we haven't seen everything yet. I'd say evidence points to us having plenty of DK content not yet shown off, because Sakurai is saving the best for last. We'll probably be getting about three stages (potentially all new) and at least one newcomer, and naturally an AT. Items? We'll see, but I'm not counting on DK items.
Yeah, didn't mean to sound like I was implying that Kid Icarus didn't deserve to be brought back. I for one like that the KI series was revived. It deserved to be brought back. All I want is to see more DK content besides a returning stage.

Last edited:

Hyle "Slush" Russell

Smash Cadet
One thing BKupa: The banana isn't even listed as a Donkey Kong item. It's technically a "Smash Bros." item. So, you know, we have even less items than that.

Well, 2003 - 2010 were kind of rough for Donkey Kong, but that was only when Nintendo was dead set on not making a Donkey Kong Country game, or even outright removing every trace of Rare's take on the character. It was only until they went back to the formula they ran from that Donkey Kong Country outsold Zelda.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Smash Bros. 4: Uprising.

Now with MORE white Pit vs black Pit!

Yay! :4pit:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Kid Icarus did deserve to be brought back however...

Just because Sakurai made Uprising dosent give him the right to flood Smash with content with that game. It's an insult to the other franchises selected to be in the game alongside it. Before Uprising I felt all the other franchises were equally repped well enough in previous games, I mean Kirby was a bit more prevalent but still not over the top. Now most of the items in this game are from that game and they sit at 3 reps over other franchises who should have been at 3 last game. That's rediculous and is just blatant favoritism.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Kid Icarus did deserve to be brought back however...

Just because Sakurai made Uprising dosent give him the right to flood Smash with content with that game. It's an insult to the other franchises selected to be in the game alongside it. Before Uprising I felt all the other franchises were equally repped well enough in previous games, I mean Kirby was a bit more prevalent but still not over the top. Now most of the items in this game are from that game and they sit at 3 reps over other franchises who should have been at 3 last game. That's rediculous and is just blatant favoritism.
I never really had an issue with Kirby's representation, save Kirby and Dedede stealing the show in the SSE. But that wasn't really related to the main game. In Brawl, Kirby got one new stage and two newcomers, both of which I feel were totally justified. Both Meta-Knight and Dedede are prominent characters in a popular franchise like Kirby. Should K. Rool have been in Brawl too? Of course, but I'm not going to call favoritism on the two Kirby characters, since both were popular choices. K. Rool's popularity was there, but didn't really take off until Diddy's confirmation.

This game is a different story however. Diddy is in, and the demand for a DK newcomer is red hot. The DK series has had two very well received games out since then, and is out of spinoff hell. Giving it next to nothing now would just be unforgivable. It'd (coincidentally) be like if Kid Icarus truly did get nothing new at for this game, despite Uprising being a success.

Lastly, if the banana peel is indeed just classified as a Smash Bros. item, that means the only two DK items are from the arcade game. The barrel cannon was removed from Brawl for whatever reason, and doesn't appear to be returning.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think we should already be content with Diddy not being a clone at this point.....

El Chunko

Smash Cadet
So not sure if it's been mentioned here or not before (or confirmed fake) but while lurking on 4Chan today I found a screencap

All the way from the day after the Smash direct. Predicted Lucina and Robin, and mentions K.Rool!

Last edited:

Hyle "Slush" Russell

Smash Cadet
I've gone on and on about this on DK Vine, but it's really difficult being a specific fan of any Nintendo franchise that isn't Super Mario, Pokemon, or Zelda. We're the fourth-bestselling Nintendo franchise, but you'd barely know it. With Sakurai's preferences, Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem are also well cared for in Smash Bros, as is Kirby from all of the vestigial additions over the first three games. This would be fine with me if we were given even adequate coverage as well, but we've been given nothing in this game. No characters, no stages, no AT's (Chunky Watch aside). We've got Kritters and Tiki Buzzes in Smash Run, but what will this amount to?

It really is hard being a Donkey Kong fan at times. You get a new game announced and the entire Internet comes for your head because you had a new game four years ago. Smash Bros. comes and goes after close to a decade of campaigning and you get nothing, not even vital main characters that everyone would be happy with. Mario Kart 8 DLC is announced and they're pulling from The Legend of Zelda and Animal Crossing over veteran Diddy Kong. What do Donkey Kong fans have to hope for? Vague whispers of a new Diddy Kong Racing? What do K. Rool fans have to hope for? The vague notion of DLC?

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
So not sure if it's been mentioned here or not before (or confirmed fake) but while lurking on 4Chan today I found a screencap

All the way from the day after the Smash direct. Predicted Lucina and Robin, and mentions K.Rool!
Doesn't mention Jr. or Dark Pit. I'd call this a lucky guess, though if we see anything else on it come true, it's worth keeping an eye on.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I hope its not edited, but that looks pretty damn cool. Its missing Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt Dog, and Ridley, though. It also... got ****ing Mii Fighter? This could've been faked, I'd rather have a link to the original post just to make sure.

Doesn't mention Jr. or Dark Pit. I'd call this a lucky guess, though if we see anything else on it come true, it's worth keeping an eye on.
...he got Mii Fighter as well, though, long before "Mii Fighter" was ever mentioned, and even got Chrom being part of Robin's Final Smash. Even got Lucina exactly right. Dark Pit could've been converted from a costume and Louie could've been converting into a costume, or Louie could actually be missing.

I... want to believe, it DOES sound quite good. I think we should keep an eye on it. I'll be heavily disappointed with a lack of Isaac, but at least K. Rool and Dixie Kong would make up for it. Young Link is iffy, but could possibly be an alt of Toon Link.

Zynux

Smash Lord

This one conflicts with me. No sign of Ridley...

If these leaks taught me one thing, the All-stars known as Ridley, K. Rool and Mewtwo are not getting into this game together (figured it was a pipe dream anyway, but still...).

Ya know, the most popular characters many are clamoring for? :facepalm:

---

There so much contradicting information in these plausible leaks. Who knows? Maybe we need piece together information for multiple leaks just to get the final roster. One leak may not have all of the roster.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
K. Rool is the most requested in Japan, yet I barely see any fanart or comments about him when it comes to Miiverse and other Japanese websites, I think that part may be wrong.
Well I can't say whether it's true or not, as I said Chronobound compiled the list in that thread I linked. He claims K.Rool is among one of the most requested characters over there. Who knows maybe support has shrunk over there with the lack of DK content announced. His list was compiled in 2013 a lot can change in a year, but at the time of making that list the roster would have been decided. So it's incredibly possible K.Rool is in.
You guys just go on Miiverse at the wrong times I guess because I always hear people mentioning both K. Rool and Ridley every so often. Heck, me and Raaxel are always drawing pictures of him on there too.

I'm pretty much positive now all hype 3 are in the game now based on that list.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Missed that part somehow.

Regardless, I'm with you in that it's most likely a faked image.
The guy did a pretty damn good job, but I found a flaw.

"Anonymous 04/09/14(Mon)20:30:05"

The guy probably included that on purpose as evidence it was a faked image from 4chan. All of the times look good, every other day is Wednesday, which is perfect, and he even faked several Anonymous posts. But that killed it; unless there's a 4chan glitch that sometimes puts up the wrong day of the week, its a very good faked photo of a thread from 4chan.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
That sounds like a movie, but it would be really cool if it were the case.

After seeing those lists, I'd be pretty upset if K Rool doesn't make it into the roster. Mewtwo and Ridley are a shoe-in after the teasing, and that would leave K Rool as the only one not to become playable.

Chin up, Kutthroats! This is good news!
When was Mewtwo teased? I must've missed something.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
When was Mewtwo teased? I must've missed something.
Greninja's trailer blatantly teased Mewtwo.

That sounds like a movie, but it would be really cool if it were the case.

After seeing those lists, I'd be pretty upset if K Rool doesn't make it into the roster. Mewtwo and Ridley are a shoe-in after the teasing, and that would leave K Rool as the only one not to become playable.

Chin up, Kutthroats! This is good news!
No they are not, NO ONE is a shoe-in. Unless they've already been confirmed. That said, I'd say the Big 3 are incredibly likely.

Top Bottom