• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Chrom taught me not to call anyone a shoo-in, even if everything says they are. :p
Chrom was a shoe-in.
Not to this guy (me). He was always a ridiculous choice, the only slight option that made me think he was plausible was toon link. Even that has some huge differences.
There were plenty of facts against Chrom, if they were chosen to be ignored then they were chosen to be ignored.
Mostly, the thing people kept saying wasnt important, which clearly was- blue haired swordsman. It was enough for Ike to be differentiated visually, for Chrom to have been outright stated to be looked over, and for a magic user to be the one added. His lack of support compared to Lucina seemed to be the final straw.

As for more K.Rool

That is the image I referred to earlier, in which I think the middle Mii is using the Krown Throw.
Image above seems to be Greninja, not Takamaru. Could be, I suppose, if it's properties were changed. Different effect.

The cannonball, to me, looks like an edited Wii fit trainer volleyball. Who knows.

Now, the hype for Comic-con leads me to believe this end of months really is the HYPER HYPATHON we really have been craving. Could we be getting character reveals every week now?!??!!!!???!

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage

That is the image I referred to earlier, in which I think the middle Mii is using the Krown Throw.
Image above seems to be Greninja, not Takamaru. Could be, I suppose, if it's properties were changed. Different effect.

The cannonball, to me, looks like an edited Wii fit trainer volleyball. Who knows.

Now, the hype for Comic-con leads me to believe this end of months really is the HYPER HYPATHON we really have been craving. Could we be getting character reveals every week now?!??!!!!???!
Middle Mii is throwing a disc, like Geno Whirl.

Geno confirmed.

Also, it would be awesome if we get another newcomer reveal, I'd like a HYPER HYPATHON :D

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Not to this guy (me). He was always a ridiculous choice, the only slight option that made me think he was plausible was toon link. Even that has some huge differences.
There were plenty of facts against Chrom, if they were chosen to be ignored then they were chosen to be ignored.
Mostly, the thing people kept saying wasnt important, which clearly was- blue haired swordsman. It was enough for Ike to be differentiated visually, for Chrom to have been outright stated to be looked over, and for a magic user to be the one added. His lack of support compared to Lucina seemed to be the final straw.

As for more K.Rool

I didn't think Chrom was a shoe-in, either, in fact, before "Mii Fighter" and the Gematsu debacle at E3, I was dead-set positive we'd get Robin over Chrom, and even after E3 I still thought it was extremely likely that Robin would get in over Chrom and the info was very outdated. I'm just saying, MOST people thought Chrom was a shoe-in. That's why I don't want to say "anyone" is a shoe-in.

The middle one does look very similar to a Krown throw. The top also does look like Greninja. Bottom could be Shulk (I think he does have a Tornado move) or Isaac (wind Psynergy).

I don't think Comic-Con will have a newcomer reveal, but its possible.

EDIT: And as I mentioned on the prior page, I think a Villains Trailer is EXTREMELY likely at this point.

Last edited:

ChosenZelos

Smash Apprentice
A little off-topic, but what is everyone's thoughts on DKCR and Tropical Freeze? I personal think TF is the best DKC game yet.

Do you guys think Retro will do a third one with hopefully the glorious return of Kremlings?

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I'm sure Retro will include the Kremlings in the next DKC game. They listened to fan criticisms of Returns by adding water levels and David Wise's soundtrack into Tropical Freeze. To keep it on topic, I really hope he gets a Kaptain K. Rool koustume.

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
A little off-topic, but what is everyone's thoughts on DKCR and Tropical Freeze? I personal think TF is the best DKC game yet.

Do you guys think Retro will do a third one with hopefully the glorious return of Kremlings?
I love it, but that fruit factory barrel flying level can go straight to hell. I'm also hoping that, until further notice or another dev takes interest, Retro is the go-to guys for DKC stuff, but that they do branch out into other things from time to time.

Definitely hoping for Kremlings/K. Rool to come back, ideally in the most DKC2 way possible.

I'm sure Retro will include the Kremlings in the next DKC game. They listened to fan criticisms of Returns by adding water levels and David Wise's soundtrack into Tropical Freeze.
Now if they could just get rid of the oxygen meter and make the underwater controls a bit less finicky.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I don't think Retro will continue the franchise, but Monster will (Monster basically seems to be the "new" developer behind the DK franchise, Retro revived it and Monster will be the one to continue making DK games), and I was under the impression that Retro stated if a third DKCR game was developed, it would feature the return of the Kremlings. Plus if the Kremlings and K. Rool are in Smash Bros., I think that would basically enforce the notion that the Kremlings have to come back to DKC as well.

I've never played Tropical Freeze as I don't have a Wii U yet. As soon as I get a Wii U Tropical Freeze will be one of my first picks, though. I did get DKCR and I absolutely loved.

Last edited:

ChosenZelos

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Retro will continue the franchise, but Monster will (Monster basically seems to be the "new" developer behind the DK franchise, Retro revived it and Monster will be the one to continue making DK games), and I was under the impression that Retro stated if a third DKCR game was developed, it would feature the return of the Kremlings. Plus if the Kremlings and K. Rool are in Smash Bros., I think that would basically enforce the notion that the Kremlings have to come back to DKC as well.

I've never played Tropical Freeze as I don't have a Wii U yet. As soon as I get a Wii U Tropical Freeze will be one of my first picks, though. I did get DKCR and I absolutely loved.
Just a little curious about this, since I haven't heard any of it. Who is Monster? A studio I'm assuming? What other games have they done?

Also, Tropical Freeze is a must! Improves upon everything in DKCR!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The middle one does look very similar to a Krown throw. The top also does look like Greninja. Bottom could be Shulk (I think he does have a Tornado move) or Isaac (wind Psynergy).
I think the bottom one is Link's Boomerang.
I would hate for Isaac to use wind psynergy just to use it, it would have to be something associated with him. Charizard uses Rock Smash, and he is not a rock type pokemon. It is a little strange, but it would need to be more like this than Robin using Dark magic because it is in the game.

He would need, need, NEED to be earth based.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I would hate for Isaac to use wind psynergy just to use it, it would have to be something associated with him. Charizard uses Rock Smash, and he is not a rock type pokemon. It is a little strange, but it would need to be more like this than Robin using Dark magic because it is in the game.

He woud need, need, NEED to be earth based.
Oh, I KNOW he would be earth-based. However, I think its possible Isaac could use some other Psynergy, he'd just focus more entirely on Earth than anything else. Similar to how Robin focuses more on Thunder, but can use all four Awakening magic types.

I suppose it could be based on the Gale Boomerang.

Just a little curious about this, since I haven't heard any of it. Who is Monster? A studio I'm assuming? What other games have they done?

Also, Tropical Freeze is a must! Improves upon everything in DKCR!
Monster Games developed DKCR 3D, they helped with MK7 and Tropical Freeze, and are RUMORED to be currently developing Diddy Kong Racing Wii U. I think the rumors are legit, there's a lot of stuff potentially hinting at it (most notably Diddy not being in MK8), but we don't know for sure right now. One thing of note; if they did so, mostlikely they would have to replace the cast of the original Diddy Kong Racing, so K. Rool might end up replacing Wizpig as the main antagonist. Just... keep in mind its only a rumor at this point.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Oh, I KNOW he would be earth-based. However, I think its possible Isaac could use some other Psynergy, he'd just focus more entirely on Earth than anything else. Similar to how Robin focuses more on Thunder, but can use all four Awakening magic types.

I suppose it could be based on the Gale Boomerang.
Robin didn't seem to be based more on Thunder, though. At least, when Sakurai explained how he worked, it didnt seem to favor one element over the other. The video certainly seemed more about Thunder, but not the actual playing.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
I was hoping that at the end of Tropical Freeze they would hint to a 3rd game, with the return of K. Rool. I can only hope K. Rool returns.

The new games are fantastic, but these enemies are completely forgettable.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Robin didn't seem to be based more on Thunder, though. At least, when Sakurai explained how he worked, it didnt seem to favor one element over the other. The video certainly seemed more about Thunder, but not the actual playing.
There are a few things to note, though:

1.) Thunder is Robin's easiest attack to pull off and probably the one you'd be using most often. Its the only one that can charge (as far as we know, it hasn't been stated that Fire can charge, they only ever say Arcfire, although a regular Fire spell was seen at one point), and the first four levels of thunder are available.
2.) Robin uses a Levin Sword, AKA a Thunder Sword, rather than any other possible Magic Sword they could've given them.
3.) Robin only users Thunder magic in the Final Smash.

Granted, Robin's connection to Thunder isn't QUITE as big as Isaac's connection to Earth, but Thunder always was Robin's main element.

I was hoping that at the end of Tropical Freeze they would hint to a 3rd game, with the return of K. Rool. I can only hope K. Rool returns.

Yeah, pretty much. That's why I think Monster Games might take over for the DK franchise. Release a new DKC game every few years, rather than putting off the franchise for 20 years until we get a new game. And of course bring the Kremlings back. That said, I think Smash Bros. shows that Sakurai at least still believes the Kremlings are DK's main antagonists.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Can you add me to the list of Kutthroats? Gotta spread some love for the king.
Again, BKupa will get to it when he's back from vacation later this week. Until then...

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There are a few things to note, though:

1.) Thunder is Robin's easiest attack to pull off and probably the one you'd be using most often. Its the only one that can charge (as far as we know, it hasn't been stated that Fire can charge, they only ever say Arcfire, although a regular Fire spell was seen at one point), and the first four levels of thunder are available.
2.) Robin uses a Levin Sword, AKA a Thunder Sword, rather than any other possible Magic Sword they could've given them.
3.) Robin only users Thunder magic in the Final Smash.

Granted, Robin's connection to Thunder isn't QUITE as big as Isaac's connection to Earth, but Thunder always was Robin's main element.

Without giving much away on FE:A, could you explain Robin's connection to Thunder?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Without giving much away on FE:A, could you explain Robin's connection to Thunder?
Well, to be fair, this is the K. Rool topic, but in Awakening as I've read, in most cutscenes Robin is always using thunder magic, Robin starts with a Thoron tome in the tutorial and when the main game actually starts, Robin is wielding a Thunder Tome and Bronze Sword. Thunder has a very close connection to Robin, even though Robin is capable of using all non-Dark tomes. As I recall, it is possible to even get Isaac to use other Psynergy depending on the Djinn you give him, so its not much different.

Speaking of Thunder, K. Rool could have a major Electricity gimmick as well. I wouldn't mind him having a few electric attacks.

Annex

Smash Ace
I think Smash Bros. shows that Sakurai at least still believes the Kremlings are DK's main antagonists.
What's this based off? I've seen both kremlings and tikis in smash run.

I'd really like to think this is the case but most of what I've seen points to Sakurai completely dismissing the franchise. DK only has his down special and now dash attack as a move that came from his games and no stage has ever been a direct reference to anything specific and accurate from the series except 75m, which I'm trying to forget.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
What's this based off? I've seen both kremlings and tikis in smash run.

I'd really like to think this is the case but most of what I've seen points to Sakurai completely dismissing the franchise. DK only has his down special and now dash attack as a move that came from his games and no stage has ever been a direct reference to anything specific and accurate from the series except 75m, which I'm trying to forget.
If Sakurai didn't think the Kremlings still mattered he wouldn't have included them, and we know other Kremlings will appear as larger enemies, as well as the rumor of a "Krusha" being seen in Smash Run as an enemy. Plus, the three different Kritters all fight COMPLETELY different from one another.

Tilledimp

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zelda46269
3DS FC
1993-8427-4401
I think it would be amazing if King. K Rool would be announced as a Character!

There is still couple of spots left on the roster for a surprise secret character, rather it be "Ridley" or "King K. Rool" and or even "Shulk" I think next month is going to surprise us all of who it will be.

All I want is to see :ness2::gw::jigglypuff::metaknight: and as a secret (?) King K/ Ridley.

McDuckletts

Smash Ace
NNID
JaredandCompany
3DS FC
2105-8715-5535
Every time they announce that there'll be a Smash Bros. announcement, I was always anticipate K. Rool and I always end up getting disappointed.
I want to get off Sakurai's wild ride.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think it would be amazing if King. K Rool would be announced as a Character!

There is still couple of spots left on the roster for a surprise secret character, rather it be "Ridley" or "King K. Rool" and or even "Shulk" I think next month is going to surprise us all of who it will be.

All I want is to see :ness2::gw::jigglypuff::metaknight: and as a secret (?) King K/ Ridley.
We don't know how many newcomers are left on the roster. I'm anticipating at least six, though, that'd put us between Melee and Brawl. (Well, with Lucina, that would make it 17, but she was already a skin before anyway.)

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman

Did Retro even mention anything related to the Kremlins during Tropical Freeze's development? I never really looked at any interviews or anything video related to the game, so im tempted to see if they said anything. Man, if the Kremlins end up in a 3rd game from either Retro or Monster then i will be HYPED. I would pre-order that game so hard.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Did Retro even mention anything related to the Kremlins during Tropical Freeze's development? I never really looked at any interviews or anything video related to the game, so im tempted to see if they said anything. Man, if the Kremlins end up in a 3rd game from either Retro or Monster then i will be HYPED. I would pre-order that game so hard.
I was under the impression it was mentioned, that's what I read anyway, but I'm not quite sure exactly.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
I just realised, if K.Rool was in Sm4sh. It will be our first (and perhaps only) time we can see this lovable green giant in actual HD!

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

Well, I don't think it's the best DKC game ever made(imo the original 2 for snes and DK64 are my favorites) but as far as the retro ones go, I agree, TF is an improvement over Returns. The vikings were more fun than the tikis and I could actually continue playing it. I also like how it had a few easter eggs to K. Rool in somevof the levels like the rock formation with a banana crown and some underwater spike traps that looked like teeth.

Agreed, the kremlings are just the equivelant to kong's as mario is to bowser's koopa army, they help define the franchise if you ask me(and I'm sure most other fans).

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649

Rock Smash isn't a rock type move. It's a fighting type move, and Charizard can learn it.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Schooled; but that was not at all the point.
Charizard learning a non type move, was.
Well, it doesn't matter if the move isn't the same type of the Pokemon. He can still learn the move, so I don't think he classifies in the same category as Ness and Robin who get moves they can't even use.

Also, it confuses me when you talk about Robin and Isaac in the same post. My avatar in Awakening was named Issac (spelled differently, but still similar).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, it doesn't matter if the move isn't the same type of the Pokemon. He can still learn the move, so I don't think he classifies in the same category as Ness and Robin who get moves they can't even use.

Also, it confuses me when you talk about Robin and Isaac in the same post. My avatar in Awakening was named Issac (spelled differently, but still similar).
It isnt in the same category, I put it in a separate category.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
It isnt in the same category, I put it in a separate category.
Oh. But still, I don't think it can even be compared to Ness and Robin, because (almost) all pokemon have moves that aren't their type. Just because a move isn't that pokemon's type, doesn't mean it can't be learned by that pokemon.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman

Some were ok, I liked Skowl & Bashmaster. The biggest let down was Lord Fredrik who really didn't have personality and just came off as a boring K. Rool knock off. Personally I would have preferred they made his body like an actual Walrus. He really just looks like a fat man with tusks. I also would preferred the boss fight take place on an Iceberg & underwater. The volcano battle didn't feel right.

Bashmaster would have been a better final boss as he was the most unique and actually had a motive for taking over the Island:
Mmmm... Popsicle!

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Some were ok, I liked Skowl & Bashmaster. The biggest let down was Lord Fredrik who really didn't have personality and just came off as a boring K. Rool knock off. Personally I would have preferred they made his body like an actual Walrus. He really just looks like a fat man with tusks. I also would preferred the boss fight take place on an Iceberg & underwater. The volcano battle didn't feel right.

Bashmaster would have been a better final boss as he was the most unique and actually had a motive for taking over the Island:
Mmmm... Popsicle!
Well, if he was the final boss, people would bash it for having such a lame story, like they did with Sticker Star. I think being bashed for having no story is better than being bashed for having a bad story.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Well, if he was the final boss, people would bash it for having such a lame story, like they did with Sticker Star. I think being bashed for having no story is better than being bashed for having a bad story.
Bashmaster could've just been the one to have taken over the island, that basically was the story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom