• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
But Isaac's lack of an AT is actually a big issue within itself. There's no chance it was removed because he was considered a playable character but was cut or something.

His lack of an AT can only be attributed to a complete lack of relevance and care for the GS series.
Source?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Which doesn't answer me in the slightest.
All you literally did was make a whole paragraph over me using the word "moderate".
Because he has a better shot of being considered now that he's getting votes on a level definitely above just "moderate," which I addressed because it's this recurring thing to dismiss Isaac as this (also as too similar to Robin).

From what I understand, Isaac was just a cameo in GS3 (a statue or something? haven't played any of the games), so if you're abiding by the same relevance criteria that ignores K. Rool's Sluggers role, I think it may very well have cost him priority for the main game. In any case, people also say he's irrelevant because "Dark Dawn sold badly," another discrediting meme. So, the top Nintendo newcomer being "irrelevant" is noteworthy enough, and a second (depending on how you view the criterion) only bolsters the idea that Nintendo may have overlooked some good older characters for the main game.

Anyhow, this is discussion better suited for the Isaac thread, so let's try to segue this back to be Kremling-related.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Because he has a better shot of being considered now that he's getting votes on a level definitely above just "moderate," which I addressed because it's this recurring thing to dismiss Isaac as this (also as too similar to Robin).

From what I understand, Isaac was just a cameo in GS3 (a statue or something? haven't played any of the games), so if you're abiding by the same relevance criteria that ignores K. Rool's Sluggers role, I think it may very well have cost him priority for the main game. In any case, people also say he's irrelevant because "Dark Dawn sold badly," another discrediting meme. So, the top Nintendo newcomer being "irrelevant" is noteworthy enough, and a second (depending on how you view the criterion) only bolsters the idea that Nintendo may have overlooked some good older characters for the main game.

Anyhow, this is discussion better suited for the Isaac thread, so let's try to segue this back to be Kremling-related.
Isaac is the father of Matthew, the protagonist in that game, and he's in the first section of the game.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think we should compile a list of short phrases that we would like to see translated into Japanese. Ideally, these phrases should be concise and free of idioms, metaphors, and other figurative language that could complicate translations. These phrases can be used in images or tweets to @Sora_Sakurai, @ Nintendo (NOJ), and other relevant users.

I think our best bet is to try to come up with phrases that summarize K. Rool's unique moveset niche, short descriptions of particular moves, and maybe more general messages we could use to explain our interest in K. Rool and encourage the developers potentially considering him. Aside from that, slogans encouraging Japanese voters would also be useful.

Usually, I turn to r/translator for help. But since translations there are free and depend on the availability of volunteers, it is sometimes difficult to get an accurate and timely response. Given that translations are free, it is also problematic for a single person to request multiple translations. With a compiled list, maybe we as a community could all contribute to getting accurate translations that could further the Kampaign's reach even more.

Surely, there are are JP speakers /learners K. Rool fans that could contribute in some way. Or maybe someone knows of other services/means of getting free short translations, like a friend or relative.

Last edited:
3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Has anyone heard the news about Cristina Valensuela's (the voice actor for Shantae) IMbD page being updated with giving her credit for voice acting in Smash Bros. for Wii U? Cristina said that she hasn't heard anything about Shantae for Smash, and removed the credit from her page. What do you think? Is there some troll stirring up trouble, or will the next Smash update see Shantae in the game?

Last edited:
Has anyone heard the news about Cristina Valensuela's (the voice actor for Shantae) being updated with giving her a credit for voice acting in Smash Bros. for Wii U? Cristina said that she hasn't heard anything about Shantae for Smash, and removed the credit from her page. What do you think? Is there some troll stirring up trouble, or will the next Smash update see Shantae in the game?
Probably just a troll.

Eureka

Smash Ace
I agree. But Isaac's lack of an AT is actually a big issue within itself. There's no chance it was removed because he was considered a playable character but was cut or something.

His lack of an AT can only be attributed to a complete lack of relevance and care for the GS series.
Actually, I had thought about why they had removed Isaac's assist trophy before. I don't think it's removal has anything to do with the character himself. All of the assist trophies that were removed, with the exception of Gray Fox, were all "lame" assist trophies. Drill-Dozer, Barbara, and yes, even Isaac, were all trophies that were not exciting to have out. Sure Isaac could be useful, but on any stage with verticality he couldn't do anything. There's also the fact that Isaac could kill you at 0%, which is not fun to be on the receiving end of. So Isaac's removal wasn't from an attempt to ignore Golden Sun, it came from a desire to have more dynamic assist trophies in the game.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I don't see Shantae, Shovel Knight, or other relatively obscure third party characters happening at all.

I think our strongest "competition" are Inklings, Bandana Dee, Isaac, veterans.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
BTW, whos your most hated Nintendo character? Mine is Yoshi...it's just SO annoying to me
Probably someone like Daisy. Someone who serves no purpose and has a random fanbase that likes the character for no reason but to use the character as a weapon to troll others.

BigJuicyMeatball

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone heard the news about Cristina Valensuela's (the voice actor for Shantae) IMbD page being updated with giving her credit for voice acting in Smash Bros. for Wii U? Cristina said that she hasn't heard anything about Shantae for Smash, and removed the credit from her page. What do you think? Is there some troll stirring up trouble, or will the next Smash update see Shantae in the game?
She actually stated that she has nothing to do with Smash Bros atm
Probably just a scrub that wrote stuff in there

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Anyone can edit IMDB. K. Rool had a voice actor put on there pre-release. Means nothing. And even if it did, Wayforward, notorious for being unable to keep it in its pants re: Shantae in Smash, outright denied it. If it were legit, I'd expect the question to either be ignored or given some coy nonanswer.

@ InASnowBoundLand InASnowBoundLand is right, though, Western exclusive indies aren't worth worrying over.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I also hate Drifloon
Now that's just random
Make a random post in the King K. thread stating you hate something completely off-topic
Not cool, man.
What did Drifloon ever do to you? :drshrug:

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K. Rool related topic: the one area where the costume isn't near pixel perfect to the Rare model is the jaw. Compare it to his jaw from his in-game sprite, and you'll see this costume one is much shorter in length.

Maybe they didn't want the big jaw hanging overtop the Mii's head and obscuring its trolling face or something?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
K. Rool related topic: the one area where the costume isn't near pixel perfect to the Rare model is the jaw. Compare it to his jaw from his in-game sprite, and you'll see this costume one is much shorter in length.

Maybe they didn't want the big jaw hanging overtop the Mii's head and obscuring its trolling face or something?
It might be because hitbox issues
Don't want a giant jaw about 2-heads long hanging over your head that doesn't interact with anything ever, right? :drshrug:

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
I hope she isn't in. I hate the idea of Shantae in Smash

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I hope she isn't in. I hate the idea of Shantae in Smash
Only reason I don't want Shantae in Smash is because she's kinda fanservice-y in a way
With see-through pants, small bikini and what-not, a 3D Model of her that actually looks quote-unquote "appropriate" isn't the easiest thing in the world :drshrug:

Last edited:

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
Only reason I don't want Shantae in Smash is because she's kinda fanservice-y in a way
With see-through pants, small bikini and what-not, a 3D Model of her that actually looks quote-unquote "appropriate" isn't the easiest thing in the world :drshrug:
Exactly, and she is a less deserving 3rd party character

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I just saw a small news article with an interesting little snippet that is relevant to us. The first bullet-point is also relevant, since it's probably why the main relevant remark was said in the first place.

Coming from Nintendo's Chris Pranger...

- Nintendo's media policy has recently changed regarding employees being more open about talking about their work
- he is the voice of the first level boss in StarFox Zero
- he is also working on the game
- NOA uses employees as voice actors for fun and cheap work
- Nintendo has a game library where employees can check out games for all systems in order to be well-versed in gaming
- Sakurai kills himself for his games and is very sensitive to fan feedback
- localization costs a ton of money and often the vocal minority of fans who want a game localized isn't a large enough consumer base to justify the localization costs
- seems that Nintendo of Europe took on almost all costs of localization for Xenoblade
Here's that bolded bit on its own;

- Sakurai kills himself for his games and is very sensitive to fan feedback
It seems to be another unusually timely article in the same vein as the one about fan-feedback from earlier today.

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
Keep working Kutthroats!!!!

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/nintendo-we-listen-really-carefully-to-our-gamers/

Am I the only one to find this statement interesting after all this K. Rool business and our emails and Twitter reactions?
This article is SUPER relevant. There's NO WAY nintendo didn't see the BLASTING feed on reddit, twitter, youtube, etc. regarding K. Rool's mii costume if they "know what's going on outside their own walls." They ARE hearing us guys, just have to stay loud to make sure they don't forget us.

StormC

Smash Hero
IMDB is probably the least reliable casting site on the internet.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
IMDB is probably the least reliable casting site on the internet.
I'm wondering if I'm the only one who still remembers the IMDb listing for The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D that listed, if memory serves, Puff Daddy as Epona. :laugh:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Exactly, and she is a less deserving 3rd party character
Of all third party candidate possibilities, ya she isn't the highest of high behind Bomberman, Simon, Goemon, and other icons sure, but she does deserve it, and out of all the indies, she ranks quite highly, since she was essentially the first and most iconic Nindie character, with every game in her series prior to the upcoming one starting as(and in some cases) staying as a Nintendo exclusive, and has a heavy relationship, and is decently iconic. But hey, this is the K.Rool thread

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
It's a cartoony girl in a bikini. It's not even that inappropriate, especially for Japan. But you still shouldn't search her name on Images I don't even think her movesets (from what I've seen) are bad, but I don't worry about her getting in, and don't think she will.

My view of the top 5 competing characters is roughly the following (not in a numerical order):

- Bandana Dee
- Dixie Kong
- Inkling
- Isaac
- Wolf

I'd be quite surprised if one of these / K Rool doesn't appear. I tried to do a top 10 but beyond these it drops off a lot.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord

Yeah, most likely for hitbox reasons. Same reason the tail is so stubby.

However, I've noticed another change that doesn't really serve any purpose. The pattern on the cape is much rounder compared to the angular zigzag seen on both the Rare and PAON designs.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
As long as Shantae has a fun and unique move set, I see no reason not to include her.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's a cartoony girl in a bikini. It's not even that inappropriate, especially for Japan. But you still shouldn't search her name on Images I don't even think her movesets (from what I've seen) are bad, but I don't worry about her getting in, and don't think she will.

My view of the top 5 competing characters is roughly the following (not in a numerical order):

- Bandana Dee
- Dixie Kong
- Inkling
- Isaac
- Wolf

I'd be quite surprised if one of these / K Rool doesn't appear. I tried to do a top 10 but beyond these it drops off a lot.
You don't think Wolf is above all of them? I think it's between him and Snake for the top (legitimate) winner overall, based on casual, hardcore AND Japanese support.

Top Bottom