• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Looking at the bundle n'1 having four characters... It's not impossible that we will get four more characters. Two pre-ballot, filling the remaining two slots marked as "Mario", and two ballot winners. (From now on it's speculation based on what I just wrote)
While I doubt K. Rool will be one of the two pre-ballot characters, he should be able to join the fray with enough people voting for him, costume or not. Just imagine that Sakurai didn't look at the ballot yet and the costume was made without implying this or that character won't be made playable. We are looking too deep into it.

Concerning the leak, I'd like them to be Snake, Wolf and Rayman. But will not happen sadly.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm going to call in later and ask about K. Rool and the costume as well. In fact, I encourage anyone who can to do the same. The more feedback Nintendo gets regarding the character, the more they know we care.

Glad to see most people here are still gung ho about supporting our cause until the end. It would be supremely negative to collectively give up and start throwing votes elsewhere instead of doubling down with such an uncertain future ahead.
Hey i suuported Ridley till the bitter end so why not i have had worse which was Ridley.

Suicide ride or die K Rool till death.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
The only other character I actively support is Ridley, and it's more out of respect for his fans than anything. Ridley's support base has endured many metaphorical kicks to the face from detractors and continued supporting him, and that kind of tenacity is something I can definitely get behind. Also he generally looks like a character that would be fun to play and Metroid could use the representation.
*tears up a little* Beautiful words, my friend. We Ridley fans thank and love you.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
You've used Konami as a negative against Snake and in the same post suggested Bomberman.

Hmm.
Well we could just slap the nitty-gritty Snake's moveset onto the more cartoon-y Bomberman, no?
It'd work alot better with Smash 4's artstyle!

Plus Bomberman's muh baby.
My dead, forgotten, lying-in-a-coffin-beside-Snake's-coffin-cause-he's-dead-too baby, but still muh baby. :dr^_^:

Eureka

Smash Ace
So now that we have the new update, and with there being nothing new except for the Mii costumes, what with the Dr. Mario fake leak (I am never putting my trust in anything ever again) what's next? Obviously, October is a while away, and I doubt we're not going to be getting anything in between that time. Will we be seeing Wolf? Will K. Rool be added? Are Nintendo acting on results of the ballot as we speak? Or are they waiting until it closes? Then who was phone? So many questions.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
So I was just looking at a video of Smash U's Tourney Mode
upload_2015-7-31_14-36-11.png

Can I just say that those Tourney Names are perfect. :drifloon:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
You know what would be funny? If in K. Rool's trailer, is he laying on the ground (but how the camera shows, people will assume that's a Mii Fighter in the costume), and DK (or any other character) poking him to see if he's alive... and then he gets up beating DK and makes a splash screen (pretty simple idea, considering that none of the DLC characters got a much complex setting or CGI scenes until now).

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
At least we're a grassroots movement trying to get K. Rool back, whereas the likes of Shovel Knight and Shantae have the CREATORS basically BEGGING people to vote for their character to get into Smash.
To be perfectly honest, It's practically REQUIRED in the ballot at this point for the creators to show some support if they are third party. There are a lot fans out there that still have this crazy idea that thirdparty characters aren't allowed (and we know Nintendo stated otherwise..).. After all, many fans of some popular characters want that assurance that the guys holding the rights are actually ok, or in some cases WANT the idea to happen in the first place XD

The ONLY reason some characters don't get supported by their creators like how some characters are, is the fact they are first party. There is no reason for it, as Nintendo already has access to the rights and what not and doesn't need to pull any strings to get them in.. (I mean they do OWN the dang things XD)... plus, if Nintendo tried to support one particular character, you know how that would play out.....

There is no need to bring other campaigns into this anyway. They are fighting for a character they love just as much as you guys are, and to be honest, you're kinda in a better position, if anything... (The character is first party, has an AMAZING moveset pool, and is just a unique baddie in general... not to mention this campaign is absolutely huge.) I have my own characters I support, but I respect this campaign.. as I know it is justified, and the character itself is very much deserving.

Well we could just slap the nitty-gritty Snake's moveset onto the more cartoon-y Bomberman, no?
It'd work alot better with Smash 4's artstyle! My dead, forgotten, lying-in-a-coffin-beside-Snake's-coffin-cause-he's-dead-too baby, but still muh baby. :dr^_^:
Bomberman to me is in a really tight spot...

Having the company that owned it being bought out by Konami in the first place, there are some weird standings for the little guy.... he has practically been gathering dust. There is also the question of whether or not they would pick Snake, or the Bomber... (Assuming there can't be both)..

I love Bomberman to death as well, but I do worry about the little guy's standings :/
Plus Bomberman's cool.

Edit: man that last reply got butchered bad XD

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Why I support my characters? (Those that are already in speak for themselves in my opinion.)

King K Rool
- Mario's villain is in, Link & Zelda's villain is in, Donkey Kong should have his villain in, too.
- DK franchise would benefit from another character, K. Rool fits here.
- All of his appearances in games vary his method of attacks hence K. Rool's potential
- Would be the only non-Kong of DK franchise if K.Rool makes into Smash

Bartz (FFV)
- His game's Job System provides part of his moveset potential.
- A Square Enix character that has history with Nintendo (Super Famicom debut, enhanced port to GBA, in Theatrythm spin-off releases on 3DS)
- Doesn't need radical changes to fit in
- A jack-of-all-trades character

Black Mage (Final Fantasy series)
- Iconic job of Job System
- Likely Square Enix character that's considered
- Has good Nintendo history
- A more dedicated mage would bring more to the current roster
- Has appeared alongside of Mario in Square Enix developed Mario sports titles

Solid Snake (Metal Gear)
- Iconic stealth game character
- Has Nintendo history & is a guest in Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Can co-exist on the roster with other Konami guests in Smash

Simon Belmont (Castlevania)
- Strong Nintendo history
- Dedicated whip user who would bring something new
- Likely Castlevania choice

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I think Leo Luster should be DLC instead of K. Rool, he's just cooler.
My NNID agrees.
"Man, it hurts to be this hip."
Come to think of it, at the end of "Finest Hour" Bluster rides in on a minecart out of nowhere and is all like "STOP RIGHT THERE, KUHROOL." :laugh:

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
So after thinking about it for a few days over and over I don't think this Mii costume has affected K. Rool at all aside from people flip flopping on votes.

Sure Chrom got a costume but so did Samus...Link has a full costume too. Thing is they want to sell Mii costumes do what better way than to make costumes desirable. K. Rool is clearly popular, so make a Mii costume regardless of whether he's playable or not. If they were fixed on only including characters that aren't playable then Link, Samus, Meta Knight, etc. Wouldn't have anything for Miis. Do you really think Nintendo isn't listening? The majority of people want K. Rools Rare design and look at that costume. It's proof to me they know the deal.

Mii costumes are just extras, I doubt Sakurai will ignore literally thousands of votes for a character especially since you want DLC to sell and I don't think they want to spurn fans like that. K. Rool is looking just as good now as he ever was. No K. Rool theme in the Mii trailer? Maybe their saving it for the true reveal! It's foolish to give up. Even if people are changing votes I don't see being too bad, it's clear that Nintendo and Sakurai are looking at the votes I doubt if people flip their going to say "guess he's not popular anymore" they look at way more than votes I assure you. They look at threads, google search results, and a lot more to determine a characters popularity. K. Rool is all over the place right now and I'm sure the sour reaction of his Mii costume is resonating over at Nintendo to show fans will be disappointed with just that. I think were gonna be fine, and if I'm wrong and K. Rool dosnt show up atleast these still Donkey Kong Country to look foreword too with a hopeful K. Rool appearence.

StormC

Smash Hero
Looking at the Kampaign Twitter, it's still getting followers daily. I think it's a good sign that the general public is still with us.

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So two things we are waiting on:

1) Confirmation from Nintendo/ Sakurai regarding if K Rool's chances are impacted by a costume.
2) Data mining the lastest update.

Anyone have any updates to share?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
To be perfectly honest, It's practically REQUIRED in the ballot at this point for the creators to show some support if they are third party. There are a lot fans out there that still have this crazy idea that thirdparty characters aren't allowed (and we know Nintendo stated otherwise..).. After all, many fans of some popular characters want that assurance that the guys holding the rights are actually ok, or in some cases WANT the idea to happen in the first place XD

The ONLY reason some characters don't get supported by their creators like how some characters are, is the fact they are first party. There is no reason for it, as Nintendo already has access to the rights and what not and doesn't need to pull any strings to get them in.. (I mean they do OWN the dang things XD)... plus, if Nintendo tried to support one particular character, you know how that would play out.....

There is no need to bring other campaigns into this anyway. They are fighting for a character they love just as much as you guys are, and to be honest, you're kinda in a better position, if anything... (The character is first party, has an AMAZING moveset pool, and is just a unique baddie in general... not to mention this campaign is absolutely huge.) I have my own characters I support, but I respect this campaign.. as I know it is justified, and the character itself is very much deserving.
I think you've completely missed the context. The person I was responding to was complaining about our campaign. I wasn't complaining about other people's campaigns, I was comparing theirs to ours and saying that if our campaign is bad, theirs are even worse. I wasn't complaining, I was responding to someone else.

Regardless, third-parties are definitely extremely unlikely. Even if you can vote for them, the track record of third-parties does not look good for many, if any, third-party candidates to appear later on. At best we'd get one, because the licensing would be too much to handle getting too many additions.

StormC

Smash Hero

1) Confirmation from Nintendo/ Sakurai regarding if K Rool's chances are impacted by a costume.

The update is encrypted, so it's essentially impossible to datamine the update with what we have right now.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
what with the Dr. Mario fake leak (I am never putting my trust in anything ever again)
That's a fake? I thought it just wasn't out yet!
Mind if I have a source? :drshrug:

No results have been found in the Wii U version at this moment, but the 3DS is going to be datamined soon. (Since that's where Roy and Ryu were found)
2000+ Blocks is way too big for just a few costumes and 2 stages, 3DS-wise :drshrug:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
The update is encrypted, so it's essentially impossible to datamine the update with what we have right now.
So I guess they wised up since last time?
This is technically true, but the deep encoding was only in the US version of Smash U, the JP version was uncrypted
Random Talking Bush found nothing in JP U, so he's gonna take a looksee at the 3DS version soon :dr^_^:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Why do I support who I support?

King K. Rool
-Need more villains.
-Need more heavyweights.
-Need more Donkey Kong stuff.
-King K. Rool is a very fun and goofy kind of evil, but a different kind then Bowser or Dedede (Who can hardly be considered evil these days anyway.)
-He opens up a lot of gameplay options with his many different boss battles, to say nothing of his costume oppurtunities.

Ridley
-Same as K. Rools first three reasons.
-Ridley offers a much more cunning kind of evil then Gannon, but can mix it up with animalistic fighting style too.
-Being big could offer different gameplay opportunities, but he doesn't even have to be that big.
-He has a variety of attack options from his boss fights too. Admittedly, not as many as K. Rool, but between his tail, grabs, and fire, there's a lot to offer just from the 2D games. Add Meta Ridley's abilities, and even more possibilities open up. (We don't speak of Other M ever again.)

Bandanna Dee
-Has become just as important a character in the Kirbyverse as Dedede and Metaknight.
-Offers a LOT of potential gameplay options, from parasols, to spears, to anything else Waddle Dees have done.
-Is an inspiring story of a character going from bit part to main character.
-Nobody in the Smash games fights with a spear yet. (Dropping the ball, Fire Emblem. FIVE sword users with only one also being magic user?)

Waluigi
-Lots of options coming off of the Mario sports games.
-Perfectly viable to have some of the crazier stuff Sakurai is forcing on Wario in lieu of the Wario Land games.
-Could be an interesting mix of power and light-weight, kinda like Mewtwo.

Inklings
-Have a LOT of moveset potential considering the wide variety of weapons and subweapons in their game.
-Could have an ink mechanic that alters the effectiveness their projectiles and change the way they guard and dodge roll if ink is on the ground.
-Could be surprisingly heavy, due to their relative lack of mobility in their own games, outside of being a squid.

So, here's what I'm thinking. If K. Rool gets in and we get a Gangplank Galleon stage to go with him, what songs do you think would be on it?

My thoughts:
1: Remix of Crocodile Cacophony
2: Gangplank Galleon (Smash Bros mix, transplanted from wherever it is now.)
3: Boss Bossanova (DKC2 Original)
4: Rattle Battle/Snakey Chanty (DKC2 Original)
5: Lakeside Limbo (DKC3 Original)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Why do I support who I support?

King K. Rool
-Need more villains.
-Need more heavyweights.
-Need more Donkey Kong stuff.

Ridley
-Same as K. Rools first three reasons.
I never knew Ridley was a DK Rep! What game does he appear in? :dr^_^:
Kappa

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I think you've completely missed the context. The person I was responding to was complaining about our campaign. I wasn't complaining about other people's campaigns, I was comparing theirs to ours and saying that if our campaign is bad, theirs are even worse. I wasn't complaining, I was responding to someone else.

Regardless, third-parties are definitely extremely unlikely. Even if you can vote for them, the track record of third-parties does not look good for many, if any, third-party candidates to appear later on. At best we'd get one, because the licensing would be too much to handle getting too many additions.
Ah. Well to be honest, I myself could see at least a couple out of this (as Ryu was pre-ballot... and that would be kinda a slap in the face from Nintendo to state every character is eligible, and it actually not be so..)

My comment wasn't necessarily directed at just at you, but to most of everyone to be honest.

Everyone needs to forget about these stupid costumes and just keep chugging along in their campaigns. They don't mean anything. The only thing that will mean anything is if Sakurai comes straight out and says "<insert character here> will not be in"... if they are anything, they are just trollbait from Sakurai.

The only reason people trash campaigns, is fear that they might "steal the slot" of the guy they think is deserving. To be honest, I was just making sure this thread wasn't going to devolve into that, since the surprising response to the K. Rool costume.. Anyway, this stuff is fanservice anyway. The "obscure", "irrelevant", and other detractions like that are out the window in my opinion. At this point it's up to the information pulled from the ballot... Considering how wild it is, I'm pretty excited who is going to come out of all of this.

I wouldn't expect moves like that from a campaign of this size, as I've mostly been expecting K. Rool to be an insta-winner. Infact in all of my predictions of what characters could end up being the ballot winners, K. Rool was pretty much always there..

(My prediction was sorta like "the top five" sort of thing.. I'd mention it here, but I can't remember which ones I placed in it... they were all big candidates, but it's slipped my mind XD.. I think I went with something like, The top Indie character, the top third party character, and the top three first party characters.)

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
Very unpopular opinion, but, ironically enough, I feel like this is the place to share it.

I like the Snowmads more than the Kremlings. Yep you heard me right; as much as I love the old school DKC games, something about the Snowmads just speaks to me. Great theme, very diverse, metric tons of character just in the way they waddle around, flail their flippers, cheer on bosses and cover their eyes when the DK gets a hit in (I know Retro did this for the Tikis too but let's be real here, the Tikis were pretty lame in every other aspect). Not saying I don't like the Kremlings, I just like the Snowmads more.

Except for the boss. Spoiler alert: Lord Fredrik, their king (or Jarl or whatever [I don't speak Italian]), is basically ViKing K. Rool with half the personality. Granted, he hasn't had as much time to show us what he's got, but for now, he's pretty meh. I would love to see him return in another installment for another shot, though...along with a certain obese crocodile. That's the thing; I think none of us would care half as much about the Kremlings if it weren't for K. Rool. He just oozes personality with the way he looks at the camera, plays dress up, and don't even get me started on the Kredits. But that earlier question of "what's your favorite Kremling" kind of made me realize I don't have one, bar K. Rool. They really weren't spectacular baddies.

So, Retro, if you're reading this, please don't misinterpret our klamoring for K. Rool as a way of saying "all your villains suck and you should feel bad for trying to compete with the Kremlings." I know I'm not the only person on earth who has a soft spot for the Snowmads; it actually seems like they're pretty popular. But we really, really, really want to see our king return after all these years. So I'll propose a compromise: a three-way war over DK Isle, starring the Kongs, Kremlings, and Snowmads. Don't pretend like you don't want to see K. Rool and Freddy trying to outdo and backstab each other. One of the things that's the most fun about K. Rool is seeing him clash with other characters, whether they be protagonists, underlings, or, in this case, other baddies.

...Plus, as a reptile owner, I totally want to see K. Rool have to bust out the heat lamps and stuff so he wouldn't freeze. Just picture King K. Rool in a floofy parka and mittens rubbing his claws together and glaring at a grinning Fredrik. You're welcome.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
The Kremlings have quite a bit of personality too. From their *AUGH* death sounds, to the way Klump and Krusha bounce you off with a chuckle, to the way they get in on the pirate dress up too in DKC2, there's a lot to love about the Kool Kremling Kreeps.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I heard an idea once that a third DKC game made by Retro, having the Kremlings as villains, could bring a plot twist where K. Rool himself was the one that summoned the Tikis in Returns, and shared the information about DK Island (and its richness [?]) for the Snowmads in Tropical Freeze (and also teached Fredrik some moves); And then he has both groups at his side to make a massive attack against DK and co.

StormC

Smash Hero
I've been working on some new ballot writeups for my friends who want to vote for K. Rool. Is there anything we could say that hasn't been repeated ad nauseam by now? I tried to squeeze as much as I could into it.

"Villains. DK characters. Heavyweights. All of these are lacking on the roster. K. Rool's mix of sinister and comedic traits make him fit in with the rest of the cast perfectly while offering something unique. His crown throw from DKC1, his blunderbuss from DKC2, and his helicopter pack from DKC3 would all work marvelously in Smash, giving him a unique role as a projectile-based heavyweight, and it'd be great to see his costumes as alts. I grew up playing the DKC games and K. Rool's boss battles were always one of my favorite parts, so please add him as a character, not just a Mii costume!"

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
So here's an interesting thought question for you guys: Why do you support the King (or really any of your major supported characters)?.
Banjo-Kazooie
Rare... Oh Rare. A major part of my life lost forever. It was crushing to learn they had left Nintendo, and even worse to Micro$oft, with the XBox line of consoles which are terrible (in my opinion) with absolutely nothing I wanted to play besides Rare's games, which became terrible anyway (paperweight 360 is the best console). On top of that, Banjo-Tooie is my favorite game of all time, I just love the two Banjo games dearly. Banjo had always been my number one most wanted character, but also a pipe dream... When the head of XBox's games division said Banjo could show up, my heart probably skipped a beat. Now I've taken over the support thread for them here, but I still think they're a pipe dream unless Sakurai and Nintendo go out of their way for them.

Rayman
Another major part of my life, who also seemed to be dead for a while before making a miraculous recovery. While Banjo-Tooie was my favorite game, Rayman 2 took an extremely close second place. I like Rayman more as a character and hold a lot of the elements of the franchise dearly, but Banjo slightly edges him out thanks to collectathon goodness. Rayman was also one of my most wanted characters, but I never would have expected a trophy of him to show up out of absolutely nowhere. Even worse was when the Omny leak made him seem so close and then ripped him away suddenly. I put all of my support effort into Rayman despite wanting Banjo more, because Rayman is a lot closer (already in the game at that) and Banjo would make more than enough noise on his own.

Solid Snake
Along came a Brawl with the most unexpected fighter. I had never played a game in the franchise, but I was already well familiar with Snake thanks to old friends. When I tried him in Smash, everything just felt right, it all fell into place. He was my favorite character to ever appear in Smash, both personality and moveset wise, going above even Ness. I wish I didn't have to support him, but he's gone and I desperately need him back. So much so that he'd be an acceptable substitute for Rayman.

King K. Rool
I clearly don't need to preach to this crowd the glory of the Kremling King. Before Snake was gone and when Banjo and (sort of) Rayman were mere pipe dreams, K. Rool was my number one most wanted character. Of course, that does leave him as my uncontested most wanted Nintendo character, since my top three are unfortunately third party, but what can you do? Again, I grew up with Rare and beat both DKC 1 and 2 in my childhood, leaving quite the impression of this guy on me. Part of me feels that having him would also be having a piece of Rare back, since he all but vanished with them as well.

After the King is a drop in how much I support characters, since most of them are out of the picture (Takamaru being an assist trophy, Lip being incredibly obscure and unlikely, Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer, etc). There's also quite the large void left by the character previously just behind him in my support, who now lurks around Pyrosphere waiting for someone to use the stage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom