• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
If they were already planning to put Roy back in the roster, they could at least save us from having Lucina too... seems so redundant. Robin would already be the 'precious' Awakening rep. .-.

Well, at least I can live with K. Rool being added by the ballot. =P

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Ryu is a cool character.. but I'd rather have him fighting against Nintendo characters in a full crossover between Nintendo and Capcom. =P (but I wouldn't be mad with him in Smash too;.. would just feels strange to me that Capcom went with two characters in the game).

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It's still stupid.

5 Fire Emblem characters.

2 DK characters

1 Metroid character. (No, Sakurai, ZSS doesn't count.)

Seems legit.
Zero Suit Samus doesn't count, but Lucina and Roy - two last-minute clones that takes up no space and is surplus to the actual dev time - are a transgression against man and nature?

Seems legit.

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Zero Suit Samus doesn't count, but Lucina and Roy - two last-minute clones that takes up no space and is surplus to the actual dev time - are a transgression against man and nature?

Seems legit.
So that bumps Metroid up to two (EVEN THOUGH IT'S JUST SAMUS AGAIN WITH NEW KICKS*breathes into a paper bag.*)

That still leaves DK and Metroid with two characters to FE's three + an overabundance of clones and costumes.

Seems. Legit.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892

Seems legit.
It's all about priorities. I have nothing against clones, but what I don't like is when "lesser" franchises like Fire Emblem are given preferential treatment over more iconic alternatives. Why not add Funky Kong as a DK clone? Why not add Dixie Kong as a Diddy clone? Why not add Birdo as a Yoshi clone? Does the Fire Emblem franchise really need five characters, four of which only use swords? That's why I think this leak is fake. Lucina could be excused because her model was almost identical to Marth's, but I don't know how Sakurai could possibly justify Roy's inclusion after he said this about Chrom:

"At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ke_it_into_super_smash_bros_for_wii_u_and_3ds

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Hello again everyone! Decided to drop in for something real quick. I recently whipped up a King K. Rool icon, as a part of the Stock Icon shop I've been working on. I figured I should drop it in here, in case anyone wants to use it. (I dunno if you already had one or not.)

I hope my practicing is paying off...

(As a side note, Some of you might notice it isn't the classic K. Rool. I wasn't able to find a decently sized render of his classic form on such short notice :/... BUT! If anyone can find one for me that would make for a decent icon, I can whip up one with it for you all.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
It's all about priorities. I have nothing against clones, but what I don't like is when "lesser" franchises like Fire Emblem are given preferential treatment over more iconic alternatives. Why not add Funky Kong as a DK clone? Why not add Dixie Kong as a Diddy clone? Why not add Birdo as a Yoshi clone? Does the Fire Emblem franchise really need five characters, four of which only use swords? That's why I think this leak is fake. Lucina could be excused because her model was almost identical to Marth's, but I don't know how Sakurai could possibly justify Roy's inclusion after he said this about Chrom:

"At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics."

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ke_it_into_super_smash_bros_for_wii_u_and_3ds
Probably two reasons
  • Veteran clause. They are, for better or worse, exempt from the strict conditions newcomers need to satisfy.
  • Blame his popularity. Roy is guaranteed to sell among his home audience. Makes a lot of sense from a business perspective, if you ask me.

:231:

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master

Well, I maybe are a little biased because I'm a Fire Emblem fan, but...

At least compared to Metroid, there are many more things that draw characters in Fire Emblem (in Metroid characters that might work are irrelevant and that relevant characters have proportions are unfit to Smash... ejem... TOO BIG).

Already the case with DK if I find most unfair, but at least has reasons, details with the Rare's buyout.

And Smash 4 is more dedicated to helping new and revived sagas...

Should include a character from DK because ballot anyway.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
It's still stupid.

2 DK characters

Seems legit.
Be fair - it's really 3 characters, maybe 4. Lucina was an alt costume for Marth that just got moved into its own slot - which if it was just put on the end of Marth like Alph was, wouldn't have been received half as badly as it seems to have been. No-one goes around saying "How dare Pikmin have as many slots as DK" or "Mario has 15 (approx) characters" due to Bowser Jr.

(Also I quite enjoy ZSS as a character, regardless of how relevant she actually is to Metroid)

This next bit is in response to both quoted - if Roy is actually happening, it makes absolutely perfect sense from Nintendo's perspective. Roy is easy to make and has very high fan demand in Japan, so it maximises pay-off relative to effort. It's not the nicest thing from a consumer perspective but if I was involved in such decisions and making money I'd probably have done it - and Roy is most certainly not my boy.

I really don't see this Ryu/Roy deal being legitimate, and if it was I'm kind of let down with how sakurai/crew pick characters. We have WELL OVER ENOUGH fire emblem representation in Smash bros. at this point. Any added chars from the series will seriously bug me. And sorry if I sound rude, but **** Ryu, he has PLENTY of other fighting games to be in. This games becoming an OVERABUNDANCE of humanoid anime characters T_T. Slowly but steadily it seems.

Edit: Sorry for my salt, but a character like Ryu in this game feel nauseating to me.
I understand disliking Ryu, but the dude is the face of fighting games. He is easily the most iconic character who represents this genre and would be easy to make a moveset for because it's, well, what he's designed for. He'd make a lot of money and might potentially be easier to negotiate for because Nintendo is already working with Capcom. To me, he makes as much sense as a 3rd party addition as any others except for Snake, Rayman, and maybe a Castlevania character.

I think the main thing I want to argue regarding Ryu is that I don't really feel he's contributing to an "abundance of anime characters" - he doesn't feel like anime, in my opinion. I don't think Ryu is anymore anime-esque than the likes of Mario, for example. Regardless, there is a very real chance we could get Isaac, who fits that mold far more than Ryu. There are plenty of characters not similar to that anyway. The only thing that is really starting to feel like a trope is anime swordsmen, particularly if Roy/Isaac get in, which is why I can more readily understand the negative reactions to Roy. Still, I don't see the issue if these characters are in addition to the ones we expect from the ballot.

Speaking of which, we can still fight the good fight and ensure K Rool is either in this game or the next. These characters should have absolutely no bearing on the ballot, and we should focus on making Sakurai see the light. Given how he seems to have dropped Diddy in the most recent patch, he seems to be coming round to K Rools kind of thinking.

(And yes I shamelessly stole that joke from another thread here)

cybersai

Smash Ace
I seriously doubt this "leak" is real. Considering there's another new Fire Emblem game coming out on 3DS most likely we'll have ANOTHER new FE rep in Smash 5 on the next console....no way is Fire Emblem going to have as many characters as Pokemon or Mario.

And I agree with everyone else, Dixie had better have been already in development like Lucas, etc. if this is true regardless of the poll. If they're just throwing in random characters now Dixie should have been there as a "quickie Diddy semi-clone" and K. Rool will win the poll

Samu-XCI

Smash Rookie
Voted for King K. Rool. I need more heavy characters in my life plus villains.

When I was younger King K. Rool in DK64 kinda scared me. Hope they keep him intimidating like that.

cybersai

Smash Ace
If King K. Rool does not get in as DLC than Sakurai needs to step down as director as he's clearly leading the polls and is popular in Japan.

Sakurai needs to stop flooding the roster with Fire Emblem and anime character bias. Its odd how the higher-ups at Nintendo don't try to veto his bias.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I don't want this leak to be real, but if Nintendo is as smart as they have been lately, then I wouldn't doubt the leak too much. I can see Ryu bringing in BANK for Nintendo and Capcom... If it turns out to be true, it is a much greedier move than I'd thought they would do. Even if they split whatever with Capcom, the amount of money that a Street Fighter character will bring is mind boggling, and not to mention, THE FACE OF STREET FIGHTER HIMSELF...0.0

Last edited:

StriderTheReaper

Smash Rookie
NNID
StriderHedgehog
3DS FC
2423-3029-0103
Hopping aboard the Kremlin Krew! As a DK representative and a villain, the King is long overdue for Smash and this ballot is his best chance so far.

Personally, I do want Wolf back more - I seem to have dropped in ability since he got cut (not sure why) - but K. Rool is my clear second realistic choice.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
At this point I don't care if they add 10 Fire Emblem characters. I just want K. Rool. If he's not DLC, I'm done with the series.

Epic Neal Time

Smash Cadet
It's still stupid.

2 DK characters

Seems legit.
How can you count Lucina and Roy as FE characters but not could ZSS as a Metroid character....? Lucina/Roy are more similar to Marth than ZSS is to Samus, at least in terms of Smash. The way I see it, every slot should count as a rep. Mario has 7 reps. FE has 4, potentially 5. Metroid has 2.

It's just a little pet peeve of mine, when people count ZSS and Samus as the same character :) Your argument definitely still holds. We need a little more K. Rool/Dixie/Ridley to balance it all out :)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In agreement with @ toadster101 toadster101 here...there's no limit to how may knots people are willing to twist themselves into to support however many characters/clones Sakurai wants to add from his favorite franchises. Kid Icarus gets two? "Okay, Palutena's popular, she totally would've been added no matter what." Three, and four for Fire Emblem? "I'm fine with it, they're just clones, but I wish Dark Pit got his original weapons." Five for Fire Emblem? "Still a clone, still okay, but maybe Roy can get revamped."

Where does the line get drawn? (hint, it doesn't, ever). It's not as though DK, Zelda, Metroid, even Star Fox or Punch-Out have any shortage of clone candidates. At least they'd provide some aesthetic diversity.

Apparently the Cutting Room Floor just verified the presence of Ryu files. Whatever, let's just focus on K. Rool at this point and let the other chips fall where they may.

Last edited:

excel_k

Smash Rookie
I'm cool with Ryu, and neutral on Roy. But yes, K. Rool should be our #1 priority in Smash. :p

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace

I feel the exact same way about the situation.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Does it really matter how numbers and arbitrary statistics tie into things?

Seriously, not everything has to be justified or part of some ubiquitous scheme. Sometimes it's nice to have things just to have things.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Ryu and Roy were probably planned long before the Smash Ballot. This has no bearing on K. Rool and we should just keep our efforts to get him in. I'm thinking we are going to have 5 - 8 DLC characters now. At least one of those is a Smash Ballot character. I think we are getting 1 - 3 Ballot characters.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Does it really matter how numbers and arbitrary statistics tie into things?

Seriously, not everything has to be justified or part of some ubiquitous scheme. Sometimes it's nice to have things just to have things.
Completely agree. Now just GIVE US King K. RoOl so we can have him!! Feels great to see Mewtwo back on the roster.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It's all about priorities. I have nothing against clones, but what I don't like is when "lesser" franchises like Fire Emblem are given preferential treatment over more iconic alternatives. Does the Fire Emblem franchise really need five characters, four of which only use swords? That's why I think this leak is fake.
WAT ?

No seriously What ?

I don't think you Really understand how the Fire Emblem séries is big ...

I don't know why guys are so salty ? I mean your character is not NOW in DLC ? You can be sad but not salty ..

The ballot si for that ...

You don't understand That those character Will Made A LOOOT Of people happy ? Even if it a clone , a skin ... People want him , and Ryu ? MR.Fighting Game homself !! That´s Like a dream for every gamer in the world !

Don't lose Hope ! Keep Fighting , Remember Roy fan was Fighting Like Mewtwo fan ... ( And remember Dr.Mario/Mewtwo/Roy was from the forbiden 7 Of Brawl )

I already vote for K rool 13 times , may you add me in the support list ?

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
The latest DLC news honestly makes me lose hope for K. Rool.

Let's face it, Sakurai doesn't care about the DK franchise. No new character in the base game, no Assist Trophies at all, only 1 new level, consistently ignores DK as a franchise. There's no reason why Dixie couldn't be a quick semi-clone of Diddy and K. Rool being worked on otherwise.

I bet Sakurai will come up with some BS reason as to why K. Rool wouldn't fit in the roster similar to Ridley, saying some ridiculous reason wouldn't make him work. Honestly I'm losing hope guys.

I feel Sakurai is just going to flood the roster with Fire Emblem characters, third party characters, advertisements for current games (like Splatoon), and maybe pick ONE character from the ballot. Even if K. Rool has the most votes he'll probably be ignored for Isaac or some other Japanese RPG character.

I give up. King K. Rool is starting to feel like Ridley, nothing but a pipe dream. Until Sakurai steps down as the director we'll never get what we want.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm honestly not sure where this sense of despair and futility is coming from right now.

If this leak turns out to be true, Sakurai just offered us two extra characters with no strings attached whatsoever. That's not even counting the ballot and the fact that both Retro and Playtonic are backing K. Rool's appearance in Smash. How in the world does any of that possibly affect us negatively?

WAT ?

No seriously What ?

I don't think you Really understand how the Fire Emblem séries is big ...
Fire emblem isnt bigger than DK though. Not at all lol

I think every character so far is fine (robin was a great choice) but that is not a good comparison

PS reps are dumb. Make it about a characters individual merits. Who cares about where they are from if they arent cool then they shouldnt be in. If k rool wasnt kool would it matter that he is from an "unrepped" franchise?

StormC

Smash Hero
Personally it's a little disheartening that Sakurai is using precious time and resources to bring in... a third party nobody asked for?

I mean I don't like Roy either but hopefully he's just a low-effort entry. (Might be the first Smash DLC I skip.)

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Personally it's a little disheartening that Sakurai is using precious time and resources to bring in... a third party nobody asked for?

I mean I don't like Roy either but hopefully he's just a low-effort entry. (Might be the first Smash DLC I skip.)
On a side note, it's also one of Smash first DLC :awesome:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Roy had a handful of people who wanted him, but if you were going to bring him back why did you find it necessary to include ANOTHER terrible clone in Lucina with no purpose other than to provide additional advertisement for an already over-represented game? With the current context, absolutely nobody but the diehard Roy fans would actually purchase him. It simply sounds like an idiotic decision. Of course, this is nothing new from Sakurai.

I'm still holding out that these files are just on par with the forbidden 7 files in Brawl, though. Just ditched concepts that don't actually mean anything. Sakurai must've made some deal to get Megaman instead of Ryu despite what Capcom would want, as Ryu is one of the blandest 3rd party characters imaginable to add to Smash.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I'm honestly not sure where this sense of despair and futility is coming from right now.

If this leak turns out to be true, Sakurai just offered us two extra characters with no strings attached whatsoever. That's not even counting the ballot and the fact that both Retro and Playtonic are backing K. Rool's appearance in Smash. How in the world does any of that possibly affect us negatively?
It is the concern that 3rd party characters will become over abundant in number. Megaman is plenty enough to have from Capcom, as is 1 3rd party character per company. Having Ryu in overshadows Megaman, because the dude is in practically everything Capcom related. Street Fighter has not been with Nintendo for a while and they just recently got back with the 3DS port of SF4 and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom for the Wii. If Ryu is in, then I hope we are getting Street Fighter V for the Wii U.

Smash is about Nintendo's history and family, to have more 3rd party characters get in under mines the meaning of the game.

If we are to be getting 3rd party characters, they should be coming in after all the Nintendo characters make it in, these include:

• Isaac - Golden Sun
  • King K. Rool - Donkey Kong Country
  • Krystal - Star Fox Adventures
  • [Insert any other Nintendo character that I did not mention]
More third party characters should only be considered once a good portion of the Nintendo family are confirmed playable, and I mean almost all the Nintendo franchises.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace

People have definitely requested Ryu so it's not completely out of nowhere. Not like this hurts K. Rool's chance either so I don't see the big deal to be quite honest.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It is the concern that 3rd party characters will become over abundant in number. Megaman is plenty enough to have from Capcom, as is 1 3rd party character per company. Having Ryu in overshadows Megaman, because the dude is in practically everything Capcom related. Street Fighter has not been with Nintendo for a while and they just recently got back with the 3DS port of SF4 and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom for the Wii. If Ryu is in, then I hope we are getting Street Fighter V for the Wii U.

Smash is about Nintendo's history and family, to have more 3rd party characters get in under mines the meaning of the game.

If we are to be getting 3rd party characters, they should be coming in after all the Nintendo characters make it in, these include:

• Isaac - Golden Sun
  • King K. Rool - Donkey Kong Country
  • Krystal - Star Fox Adventures
  • [Insert any other Nintendo character that I did not mention]
More third party characters should only be considered once a good portion of the Nintendo family are confirmed playable, and I mean almost all the Nintendo franchises.
I was actually referring to Roy in particular.

Ryu does kinda baffle me, though not in a particularly emphatic way.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
People have definitely requested Ryu so it's not completely out of nowhere
About as many as the people who requested Greninja and Rosalina before their inclusions. A fraction of a percent.

Not like this hurts K. Rool's chance either so I don't see the big deal to be quite honest.
The game's out and we're now onto DLC, there's only so many characters that are getting added.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I was actually referring to Roy in particular.

Ryu does kinda baffle me, though not in a particularly emphatic way.
I thought you were focusing on Ryu with your post. Ryu is someone I do not agree with, especially since we have Megaman.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
All this means is that roy and ryu were made BEFORE the ballot.Which means k rool's changes hasn't decreased at all.He's still in the running.In all honestly your blowing it out of proportion

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom