• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Maybe it could be based on his DK64 fight and have him battling Little Mac in the Boxing Ring stage?
I think that would be too specific from just one game;.. and the Gangplank Galleon theme is more "expanded" =P.. and, we already got Donkey Kong in the Little Mac's poster; ..

But I really like the idea of all the villains battling!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I've wanted K. Rool since Smash 64. (Yes, I'm that old). We finally have our chance. I think the odds are pretty good, but Sakurai and Nintendo hate the fact that he was created by Brits. I could see Miyamoto alone blocking his inclusion.

Does anyone know if we can vote more than once?
I...think that's a bit of speculation right there. Considering Miyamoto loves Cranky Kong and Diddy, and specifically requested they return for Returns, I don't think that's actually the case.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I...think that's a bit of speculation right there. Considering Miyamoto loves Cranky Kong and Diddy, and specifically requested they return for Returns, I don't think that's actually the case.
Source on that?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Source on that?
I mean it pretty much stems from the fact that when Retro asked what characters should carry over from DKC, he told them Cranky and Diddy, and the rest was up to them. I thought this interview was common knowledge, but I guess I'll look for it.

It may not imply that he LOVES them, but it certainly shows he doesn't HATE them, considering they also were "created by Brits". Nintendo's very ethnocentric, but Miyamoto has said before he worked very closely with Tim Stamper on DKC, so if he hated their character designs I don't think they would've been made.

...Mobile makes it hard to find these articles.

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean by this logic we wouldn't have Diddy as a playable character either.

Hoo hah.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I mean it pretty much stems from the fact that when Retro asked what characters should carry over from DKC, he told them Cranky and Diddy, and the rest was up to them. I thought this interview was common knowledge, but I guess I'll look for it.

It may not imply that he LOVES them, but it certainly shows he doesn't HATE them, considering they also were "created by Brits". Nintendo's very ethnocentric, but Miyamoto has said before he worked very closely with Tim Stamper on DKC, so if he hated their character designs I don't think they would've been made.

...Mobile makes it hard to find these articles.
If you can't find it, no worries. I'd just never heard it before.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Great video man, had me laughing! But I have to oppose Krystal, I want my boy Wolf back!

Not that I mind Krystal, I just don't want her replacing Wolf. As you said, we need more villains.

Great work though, we need people to spread that K.Rool love.
yea man. Its so hard because I don't want wolf to miss in on the action, but i would also love krystal to. Maybe they can both get in. So hard to choose lol

StormC

Smash Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTOj9VidV5U

Man, I swear the Gangplank Galleon theme is perfect for a K. Rool trailer. You could easily have build up until around the 30 second mark when the music starts intensifying more (cueing K. Rool's arrival), and have the splash screen at 0:37 or so, then showcase gameplay for the rest of it.

Paraka

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTOj9VidV5U

Man, I swear the Gangplank Galleon theme is perfect for a K. Rool trailer. You could easily have build up until around the 30 second mark when the music starts intensifying more (cueing K. Rool's arrival), and have the splash screen at 0:37 or so, then showcase gameplay for the rest of it.
I can see a stage debut as well (which would be separate from his DLC), giving us the music as well.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
When people say King K. Rool isn't iconic enough to be in Smash......

It just makes me extremely peeved.

Had a guy in GameStop tell me that Simon Bellmont and Rayman deserve to be in Smash over K.Rool because they're more recognizable. My reply to him can not be put on here as it would require a lot of censoring. Let's just say I made him look stupid....

Paraka

Smash Rookie

Had a guy in GameStop tell me that Simon Bellmont and Rayman deserve to be in Smash over K.Rool because they're more recognizable. My reply to him can not be put on here as it would require a lot of censoring. Let's just say I made him look stupid....
To be honest, as much as I love the Castlevania series, Simon Belmont has lost all of his recognizable cred ages and ages ago. Happens when you're constantly replaced with Alucard and other Belmonts.

Well, Ship Deck is already a song on Kongo Jungle 64.
Wasn't talking about the song being personally tied to the stage, it would be more of that surprise, but it would be good way to keep recognizable music to prevent the surprise from being spoiled.

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, I've always said that when people are pushing for Simon Belmont, they're really just wanting a Castlevania character, which to me, is missing the point of having a third party character. It should be an important CHARACTER, not just a franchise, which is why I think a Castlevania stage would fit the series much better.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

I'm fascinated; if you want, you should totally PM it to me.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Nintendo Life just put out a really disappointing video. Alex, who requested that users tell him why different characters would be cool to see in-game and received a handful of great responses from K. Rool supporters including myself, promptly ignored all of the responses in favor of parroting that "he'd be just another heavy villain."

I'd feel guilty getting this thing any more views than it already has, but it'd be great if everyone in here could go bombard the video with comments, correcting Alex on why K. Rool is not "just another heavy villain," as a handful of thread members have already done.

Paraka

Smash Rookie

Nintendo Life just put out a really disappointing video. Alex, who requested that users tell him why different characters would be cool to see in-game and received a handful of great responses from K. Rool supporters including myself, promptly ignored all of the responses in favor of parroting that "he'd be just another heavy villain."

I'd feel guilty getting this thing any more views than it already has, but it'd be great if everyone in here could go bombard the video with comments, correcting Alex on why K. Rool is not "just another heavy villain," as a handful of thread members have already done.
I would honestly like to see him point out any light villain equally iconic.

Most of Nintendo's breed of baddies are heavy, it kiiiinda comes with the trope. They are the slow, lumbering evil that steady engulfs the land, you're the short, plucky hero off to save the day. In games, especially older ones, the villain had to be slower than the player so the moves were readable, so it then becomes the facet of what K. Rool is.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, I've always said that when people are pushing for Simon Belmont, they're really just wanting a Castlevania character, which to me, is missing the point of having a third party character. It should be an important CHARACTER, not just a franchise, which is why I think a Castlevania stage would fit the series much better.
This is the problem I have with a Square Enix character. There is no real standout character with major appearances across multiple games. Final Fantasy has new casts every game, Slime and Black Mage aren't characters but concepts, Crono is a one-off who happened to be in a very popular GAME (not franchise; Chrono Cross did sequel Trigger but Crono himself barely appears).

Snake, for example, isn't always the same character, but he's still always called Snake, its a title essentially. Rayman, Bomberman, all good options.

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord

Yeah, as if we have enough of those already. :glare:

Last edited:

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360

Just posted a comment that gives examples of just a few of K. Rool's options. However, a few for K. Rool is actually a lot. So the comment is a bit long. Kinda shows how versatile K. Rool really is.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
This is the problem I have with a Square Enix character. There is no real standout character with major appearances across multiple games. Final Fantasy has new casts every game, Slime and Black Mage aren't characters but concepts, Crono is a one-off who happened to be in a very popular GAME (not franchise; Chrono Cross did sequel Trigger but Crono himself barely appears).
Uh, what do you mean Slime is just a concept? He seems to be popular enough to get spinoffs starring him, three of them in fact, all exclusive to Nintendo consoles.

I'd say the thing is almost as popular as Pikachu. In Japan anyway.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
People need to get in their heads that a ton of villains are big and heavy by nature. By design logic, this makes them more intimidating. You don't get to terrorize Tokyo with a Godzilla of the size of medium car.
Besides. Isn't Isaac another swordfighter with magic attacks? Isn't Shantae another acrobatic female fighter? Isn't Banjo-Kazooie another mammal and bird duo? Isn't Waluigi another weird guy in plumber overalls? I could do this all day...
But yeah, I keep saying that this new wave of K. Rool detractors are people who are upset just because their favorite choice isn't winning any polls.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Just to note, not pushing any particular fighter here (as you might notice from my signature, I support quite a few campaigns myself)

Can we just try to be a bit civil here? There's no need to step on other great characters over the ballot (As I have learnt from my own unfounded hate against certain characters.. won't name any names here) Its a big race. Many fans are rallying for characters they love, just as you all are doing here. Lets not turn this thing into a political scale brawl, alright? ^_^
*Shimmies over and gently hugs*

No crocodile tears here, friend. Only tears of sweet, bitter sympathy. ;w;

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
He'd probably think you guys would be trolls if you keep bombarding him with those comments. :p
Because trolls ALWAYS back up popular opinions/characters with a multitude of reasons highlighting why they're the case.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery

StormC

Smash Hero

Snake, for example, isn't always the same character, but he's still always called Snake, its a title essentially. Rayman, Bomberman, all good options.
I would also add to this that Solid Snake is a hugely popular, iconic video game character, in general. He's a face and name the general public can recognize, along with Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man. Simon Belmont is known mostly to internet nerds and people who played the Castlevania games of the 20th century.

cybersai

Smash Ace
I don't understand people complaining that K. Rool is another "heavy" character because there are far too little heavyweight characters in the game. Almost all the characters either emphasize speed or are "standard."

In fact the only heavy or slow characters in the game are Bowser, DK, King Dedede, and um...who else? Ganondorf?

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Lookie here, lookie here, look what we've got!
I chance for a DlC roster slot!

(I'm so sorry)

I haven't been active since Febuary, but I have been keeping up with the Smash news! Yes, I voted for King K. Rool. Let's get that fat croc we all love where he deserves, pounding that blasted ape into pulp!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

Yeah he's totally right you guys. We have too many heavy villains and not enough lightweights/middleweights. /sarcasm

The ignorance is strong with that guy.

TallT

Smash Apprentice

To tell you the truth I had never heard of Simon Bellmont or Castlevania until last year, but have known K. Rool since I was around 5 or 6 and I'm 21 now.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
To tell you the truth I had never heard of Simon Bellmont or Castlevania until last year, but have known K. Rool since I was around 5 or 6 and I'm 21 now.
Go play Castlevania, it's an excellent series

I think I actually learned about K. Rool through the Melee trophy. Truthfully, I didn't play DKC until 2008. Please don't hurt me.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Kinda feel bad that so many are getting their hopes up for Banjo. I see him as WAY unlikely even to K Rool who is up in the air. I mean if K. Rool and Banjo switched places I would be like well that sucks..time to vote for Banjo because Nintendo actually owns him. (hypothetically speaking) Most people don't think about this stuff when they vote I bet..which is a big reason I believe Banjo topped that poll. I can easily see Isaac getting 2nd though and maybe even 1st with King K. in 2nd had Phil Spencer kept his mouth shut, but he's smart, what can I say..

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I don't know how bots were removed, but I think it's hilarious how Daisy dropped from winning the poll thanks to bots to not even being an honorable mention without them. The creator even poked fun at this on his Reddit write-up. Sympathies to whatever Daisy fans legitimately voted for the character.

I'm glad K. Rool and Isaac both seem to be standing out -and- standing the test of time, results-wise.

Last edited:
Top Bottom