• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
This actually concerns me. I'm part of a Youtube comedy team where we make fun of old cartoons in an MST3K manner with annotations, and we've almost finished DKC. (Don't worry, we love K. Rool to pieces, and almost every other episode we make jokes about him scheming to get into Smash or Returns 3.)

When this comes out, copyright hounds might get on our case.
I doubt it. Phase Four Films started releasing Donkey Kong Country DVDs with a few episodes on each back in 2013. I'm guessing they gave up on that idea and would rather release the entire series all at once. Good for them! They have my support.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
This actually concerns me. I'm part of a Youtube comedy team where we make fun of old cartoons in an MST3K manner with annotations, and we've almost finished DKC. (Don't worry, we love K. Rool to pieces, and almost every other episode we make jokes about him scheming to get into Smash or Returns 3.)

When this comes out, copyright hounds might get on our case.
I swear whenever there is a video on youtube, be it a music video or whatever that I love. the d*** mods on there always block the video from view, due to a third-party copyright infringement claim by Warner Bros., it just makes me mad.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I swear whenever there is a video on youtube, be it a music video or whatever that I love. the d*** mods on there always block the video from view, due to a third-party copyright infringement claim by Warner Bros., it just makes me mad.
First of all, youtube only has bots, second, WB literally copyright claims a video if you have their name in the tag, they constantly cry about their properties being stolen, yet when they use Nyan cat and Keyboard cat without permission and get sued, they laugh their asses off

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
These Kremlin jokes make Komrade K. Rool all the more relevant :laugh:

:231:

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
These Kremlin jokes make Komrade K. Rool all the more relevant :laugh:

K Rool requires this as a skin when he gets in to Smash at some point.
Think of all the Cold War jokes you could make with NES Golf/American Mario and this

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Ha, reminds me of this.

Honestly, the false spelling probably comes from people who listen to the DK Rap and hear Kremling pronounced without a clear 'ing' sound.
They clearly have it spelled out properly during it, unless it's maybe the dk rap from the congo jungle ssbmelee stage.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
It's not known but I'd assume old age.
Sounds legit.

Do you guys think K. Rool should be holding his blunderbuss the whole time while he fights or just take it out whenever he fires his shots? I don't know why but I always thought he'd look cooler using it as a clobbering weapon as well while still using his fist.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
This is pretty cool!

"Who's left to add to Smash?(As DLC or Smash5 newcomer) Some Japanese fans have ideas."
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=997025

Here's the source article: https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/02/19/perception-of-smash-dlc-in-japan/
lol at the Forkball guy.

"King K. Rool is awful. He is nothing but a poor man's Bowser. Look at this boss fight. His ultimate attack is throwing a crown at you. WHOA. Also his entire goal in that game is to steal bananas. ****ing BANANAS. Also he has the ugliest design imaginable."

What I see in that boss fight is a lot of moveset potential. His crown throwing is his weakness as it leaves him open to be attacked.
Pretty sure Bowser can't sing, dance or even dare to go as far as K Rool goes with his plans.
Bananas are pretty healthy and it's pretty much the Kong's favourite food. So that would be starving them to death.
Ugliest design is a mere opinion and holds no weight in an argument but if you want ugly then you need only look at SSB4 Ridley or The Deadly Six.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think @ toadster101 toadster101 summed things up nicely in his post there. NeoGAF is very much anti-DKC because it has cartoony animals instead of busty anime women. It's why there's so much K. Rool hate there, as well as why there are multiple threads, dozens of pages long, ranting about how Tropical Freeze should've been Metroid and how Nintendo was stupid for showing Cranky at VGX 2013 instead of Metroid.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The point just mentioned makes me sad inside because I like both of those things. It's eye-rolling to think that both communities can't exist simultaneously.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
People would rather defend characters nobody even wanted or has heard about and hate on the ones who actually deserve to be in a game such as ssb4. I'd rather a quality iconic cartoon animal character get in the game than another generic anime person.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The point just mentioned makes me sad inside because I like both of those things. It's eye-rolling to think that both communities can't exist simultaneously.
"Why not both?"

A shame that the world doesn't work that way. I want a new Metroid as much as any other Metroid fan but have some more patience 'kay?

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Selfishness is the human condition. "I want what I want and I want it now. If I can get what I want by keeping you from getting what you want, you can choke on it."

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I've posted a few DK stages I made in ssb4 on here before but I'm not sure if I posted this one. I completley made this one up on my own as it was my first DK stage I made in customization.
030.JPG

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I think @ toadster101 toadster101 summed things up nicely in his post there. NeoGAF is very much anti-DKC because it has cartoony animals instead of busty anime women. It's why there's so much K. Rool hate there, as well as why there are multiple threads, dozens of pages long, ranting about how Tropical Freeze should've been Metroid and how Nintendo was stupid for showing Cranky at VGX 2013 instead of Metroid.
I like how they're "surprised" by K. Rool's popularity. Feigning ignorance, much? Are they really surprised that the main antagonist of one of Nintendo's most popular franchises has a fanbase? Surely you jest. Even my mom knows who K. Rool is. These people need to leave their bubbles every once in a blue moon. Maybe then they'll acknowledge that a character doesn't have to be a pretty white girl or a brooding male JRPG protagonist in order to deserve a spot on the ever expanding Super Smash Bros. roster.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Soooooo...
Tiki Tong from DK wiki
One of his eyes is bigger than the other, much like King K. Rool.
Funnily enough, Tiki Tong also shares many moves that K. Rool had that were similar to Tiki Tong's own when K. Rool was in Jungle Climbers. For instance, both will try to crush DK and Diddy with their hands and both shoot fiery objects at the Kongs. This correlates with a theory involving K. Rool and Tiki Tong being the same person.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Soooooo...
Tiki Tong from DK wiki
Funnily enough, Tiki Tong also shares many moves that K. Rool had that were similar to Tiki Tong's own when K. Rool was in Jungle Climbers. For instance, both will try to crush DK and Diddy with their hands and both shoot fiery objects at the Kongs. This correlates with a theory involving K. Rool and Tiki Tong being the same person.
That's more like Tiki Tong is a homage/ripoff (depending on how you see it.)

:231:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Soooooo...
Tiki Tong from DK wiki
Then again, what about Lord Fredrik? with that huge girth and identical moves that K. Rool used in DKC1, I'm more likley able to believe that he he is really K. Rool in a Walrus suit.

Gumples

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gumples
Hurray!

Just blasted through DKC again to celebrate this weekend just gone (I have just decided to call it the DK Banana Extravaganza Weekend, for no reason).

Good thing I have 2 & 3 lined up for the week :p

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I never liked Tiki Tong. It's not even because he's not K. Rool, either--it's mainly because he's another "Giant Hands" boss trope, which has been done to death. ESPECIALLY by Nintendo. Eyerok, Andross, Bongo Bongo, Master & Crazy Hand, etc. etc.
I kinda liked the other DKCR bosses though. Those guys were cool.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Tropical Freeze at #6 in GAF's 2014 Game of the Year list

There's a LOT of love for the DKC series on GAF. Not even other gaming sites acknowledged TF. Please stop this generalization.

EDIT: Won Soundtrack of the Year by a landslide too

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

There's a LOT of love for the DKC series on GAF. Not even other gaming sites acknowledged TF. Please stop this generalization.
When threads like this this one exist, it's a very easy jump to make. It's the Rare DKCs that get the lion's share of the bile anyway, since cognitive dissonance mandates that no criticism be directed at the company they're begging to make Metroid Prime 4. Not to mention all of the "K. Rool's so ugly" posts that always seem to pop up whenever the character is mentioned...TF's retroactive praise doesn't explain that.

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892

EDIT: Won Soundtrack of the Year by a landslide too
To be fair, there's a difference between liking the games and liking the characters. The DKC games are popular in spite of the goofy character designs. I don't think it's fair to say that NeoGAF hates Donkey Kong, but it wouldn't be an outlandish assumption to make, given their childish outrage over the reveal of Tropical Freeze at E3 2013. What an embarrassment. People who like the DKC franchise don't necessarily contribute to Smash roster discussions, and many of those individuals prefer Dixie due to muhrelevance.

There is a lot of love, yes, but there is also a lot of venom. And unfortunately, the detractors are always more vocal. First they argued that nobody cared about K. Rool, now they're dismissing the poll results because "Japan has bad taste". If they're allowed to make baseless generalizations, then so are we. Quite frankly, part of me wants to see a playable K. Rool for the reaction alone.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
...part of me wants to see a playable K. Rool for the reaction alone.
This is one of the biggest reasons I supported Ridley, actually. I'd get a kick out of the overall uproar, be it joy or rage or in-your-face-toobigots or what have you. While I don't like the idea of K. Rool being a controversial choice, a similar reaction would be fun to watch.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
At first I didn't have much interest in K. Rool. Then I played DKC 1-3 and watched all of the cut scenes from DKC 64. Instantly made me a fan of him. K. Rool is incredibly versatile and would make a great character. He's my #2 most wanted newcomer with Ridley being in first. Actually all of my wanted newcomers are villains, because Smash could really use more villains.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
At first I didn't have much interest in K. Rool. Then I played DKC 1-3 and watched all of the cut scenes from DKC 64. Instantly made me a fan of him. K. Rool is incredibly versatile and would make a great character. He's my #2 most wanted newcomer with Ridley being in first. Actually all of my wanted newcomers are villains, because Smash could really use more villains.
Welcome to the Krew.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
This actually concerns me. I'm part of a Youtube comedy team where we make fun of old cartoons in an MST3K manner with annotations, and we've almost finished DKC.
TheAnnotatXperiment?

If so, kudos for destroying my lungs over and over and over.

Last edited:
Top Bottom