• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I've registered my copy of Smash For(Wii U), filled out the survey and made mention of our Highness.
Now, let's see if this actually does something.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Former Kutthroat posting.

Are you people still spiting every other franchise because they got attention over Donkey Kong? Because I do not want to be discriminated yet again over something so pathetic. Yes I don't think King K. Rool is the only choice and I do like other franchises, is that such a crime?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Are you people still spiting every other franchise because they got attention over Donkey Kong? Because I do not want to be discriminated yet again over something so pathetic. Yes I don't think King K. Rool is the only choice and I do like other franchises, is that such a crime?
No, that's what most of us think

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

May I ask you something? Were we at all spitting on other franchises at the moment? Were we? No. We were talking about Christmas and commenting on Bowser K. Rool's art and pictures. We generally had a positive vibe going, but then you came along, and tried throwing that out the window by talking about something completely unrelated to the topic at hand. I generally have to wonder what drove you to post this. None of our recent posts warranted this one, and it's Christmas. How did you suddenly think about us supposedly trashing other franchises?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Clearly someone must have set you off recently to elicit such a post, because from what I've seen in here, most posts on the matter voice discontent over DK's neglect, not the presence of other franchises. Plenty of Kutthroats like both.

Flipside of the coin, no one is under any obligation to "shut up about the roster" post-release and/or sing Shulk's praises, just because others want them to do so.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
May I ask you something? Were we at all spitting on other franchises at the moment? Were we? No. We were talking about Christmas and commenting on Bowser K. Rool's art and pictures. We generally had a positive vibe going, but then you came along, and tried throwing that out the window by talking about something completely unrelated to the topic at hand. I generally have to wonder what drove you to post this. None of our recent posts warranted this one, and it's Christmas. How did you suddenly think about us supposedly trashing other franchises?
I want to post here more often because I actually do like the character and I do have respect for Bkupa666, but I don't want to be associated with scumbags creating bad mojo for other kinds of fans. No rocket science here. It was one of the reasons why I flat out rage quit during the last few months of speculation, because I don't want to be treated like dirt due to some childish jealousy and entitlement.

If I'm causing problems, then I do apologize in advance. But in essence I didn't feel comfortable and I really hope those feelings have tide over.

Clearly someone must have set you off recently to elicit such a post, because from what I've seen in here, most posts on the matter voice discontent over DK's neglect, not the presence of other franchises. Plenty of Kutthroats like both.
It happened during speculation where people kept saying that only "the big three" matter and anything else does matter and people are stupid for thinking otherwise. That was not a healthy mentality, and ultimately everyone lost. Even after the reveals happened, people still attacked fans of other franchises out of frustration as a scapegoat of sorts. In my case, what broke the straw on the camel's back was a few comments Hoots said.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The mentality of "content from X series took the spot of content from Y series" is flawed because, even though there's a finite amount of development time, content going away from Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem (the popular targets) wouldn't magically become DK content. . .it'd probably get pumped into Mario, Zelda, or Kirby. It's the neglect of DK, period, that deserves attention, not other series' stuff.

K. Rool discussion is vastly preferable to franchise discussion IMO, and yet conversation often circles back to franchises because, for K. Rool (or any DK character) to become DLC, interest would have to be shown in the franchise. Personally, I think moveset discussion needs to be the priority, since there very well could be developer sentiments that K. Rool is a boring Bowser rip-off. We know better and ought to get the message out.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I want to post here more often because I actually do like the character and I do have respect for Bkupa666, but I don't want to be associated with scumbags creating bad mojo for other kinds of fans. No rocket science here. It was one of the reasons why I flat out rage quit during the last few months of speculation, because I don't want to be treated like dirt due to some childish jealousy and entitlement.

If I'm causing problems, then I do apologize in advance. But in essence I didn't feel comfortable and I really hope those feelings have tide over.

It happened during speculation where people kept saying that only "the big three" matter and anything else does matter and people are stupid for thinking otherwise. That was not a healthy mentality, and ultimately everyone lost. Even after the reveals happened, people still attacked fans of other franchises out of frustration as a scapegoat of sorts. In my case, what broke the straw on the camel's back was a few comments Hoots said.
I can see where you are coming from, and I won't lie, we have had Kutthroats that insult other franchises that we don't call out. I won't call out names, but back when we had this thread shut down, we had a member that dismissed the women added to the game as "everyone's waifus". I honestly wish I called him out on it, as I don't want to be associated with people like that. In the future, we need to hold some standard to behavior on this thread.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The mentality of "content from X series took the spot of content from Y series" is flawed because, even though there's a finite amount of development time, content going away from Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem (the popular targets) wouldn't magically become DK content. . .it'd probably get pumped into Mario, Zelda, or Kirby. It's the neglect of DK, period, that deserves attention, not other series' stuff.

K. Rool discussion is vastly preferable to franchise discussion IMO, and yet conversation often circles back to franchises because, for K. Rool (or any DK character) to become DLC, interest would have to be shown in the franchise. Personally, I think moveset discussion needs to be the priority, since there very well could be developer sentiments that K. Rool is a boring Bowser rip-off. We know better and ought to get the message out.
I don't follow the mentality of reps, since it's inherently flawed due to the subjective nature, but even I'll admit DK content feels off in these games. I would of been perfectly fine if at least the music selection was more flexible, instead of trying to make remixes of Jungle Hijinx with varies genres of music. I can get past stuff like using the jungle levels as a basis for the series, since it's not the only franchise that does a similar mentality, or the character selection being Donkey Kong and Diddy.

Also, I was in the crowd that defended the Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem content. The former previously had a very "beta" vibe to it in Brawl, which did restrict Pit specifically in terms of specials, so to see it fleshed out more due to Kid Icarus Uprising is not a bad move. The latter felt more flexible with demonstrating what Fire Emblem was about, for example Robin's playstyle references mechanics used in the Fire Emblem games, the Japanese titles got a little more attention, and there is a stage based on an actual location in Fire Emblem.

As for King K. Rool, I would recommend several points. Like I mentioned, references to mechanics used that can be translated into a playstyle is not bad to look into, since it helped create the basis for characters like Palutena and Robin, however don't be afraid to take liberties if you can't fill everything. You can also make references outside of the games themselves if it would fit with that type of character, for example King K. Rool is a crocodile so having references to tough skin, powerful bites, and death rolls would be appropriate. Also remember the basis of character design in a fighting game title, but keep in mind that "slow but powerful" is too vague to rely on.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Thought I'd try tweaking the stage up a bit by adding more things to it. I don't know why but I just feel that the kremlings would make some good dk stage hazards.
zlCfzSy25e0lgbDSqi.png

zlCfzSy25e0lgbDSqi.jpg

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Copying over a K. Rool poll from GameFAQs of all places that I think could generate some interesting discussion in here:

"If you could guarantee ONE aesthetic feature about K. Rool in Smash, would you choose. . ."

1. Visually, K. Rool is based on his Nintendo/PAON design (King of Swing, Mario Super Sluggers, etc.)
2. Visually, K. Rool is based on his Rare design (DKC1-3, DK64, etc.)
3. K. Rool comes with unique alternate outfits for each persona (Kaptain, Baron, Boxer, Pharaoh)
4. K. Rool's voice is made from soundclips emulating his "honk" noise from DKC1-3
5. K. Rool's voice emulates his voice from DK64
6. K. Rool's voice emulates his voice from the DKC cartoon
7. K. Rool's voice emulates emulating realistic crocodile noises
8. 3 new remixes included: a second Gangplank galleon remix, a Kaptain K. Rool fight remix, and Baron K. Roolenstein remix

I'm quite undecided between options 3, 6 and 8, personally.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Give me K. Rool's RARE design. While I think Nintendo vastly improved most of RARE's designs, their version of K. Rool is horrible. At least give me his golden underbelly, large crown, tail, and larger cape back.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
1. Visually, K. Rool is based on his Nintendo/PAON design (King of Swing, Mario Super Sluggers, etc.)

I'd like him to have his PAON design, I'm probably the only one (maybe a few others) who actually likes the design, although if he were to have that design I'd say at least give him a golden belly and a tail, those are the only two details that bother me about the PAON design, main thing that bothers me is his lack of a tail.

Korporal K. Reep

Smash Apprentice
Copying over a K. Rool poll from GameFAQs of all places that I think could generate some interesting discussion in here:

"If you could guarantee ONE aesthetic feature about K. Rool in Smash, would you choose. . ."

3. K. Rool comes with unique alternate outfits for each persona (Kaptain, Baron, Boxer, Pharaoh)
4. K. Rool's voice is made from soundclips emulating his "honk" noise from DKC1-3
8. 3 new remixes included: a second Gangplank galleon remix, a Kaptain K. Rool fight remix, and Baron K. Roolenstein remix

Probably #6. I like both of K.Rool's designs, and although #3 and #8 sound nice, his voice from the DKC cartoon is superior to his other portrayals imo.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I'd sort of like a mix of the PAON/Rare designs. The PAON design is pretty good aside from the lack of tail and smaller cape. Those two features are kinda needed for a new redesign.

However, I would probably pick #1 if I could only pick a single choice.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'd go with 2, 3, and 5. Out of those 3 though, defintley 2. I just like him better with a tail and golden belly. If they're willing to use Mega Man's and Pac-Man's older designs then I don't see why K. Rool should be any different. Heck maybe we could get both Rare and Paon designs as alt. costumes like Little Mac did with his wire frame arcade design.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Just finished my last write-ups for K. Rool's moveset arsenal with 'General Moves' and 'Mechanics,' along with a closing note. It's now my goal to start getting some of the options illustrated, and to begin sharing the section around on various sites. Time to spread the word that the character's more than "just another fat king." Hope whoever has been following along with them over the past few weeks has enjoyed their time doing so, in any case!

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

It's only a crime if you like Mario, Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092

if it was one i would definitely want the alternate costumes. also like most here i would want his paon design with a bigger eye and cape, golden cuirass and tail. and for sound dkc cartoon voice definitely, if it were the other voices one would dound like bowser and the other ganondorf, so i would rather a unique villain voice

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Give me K. Rool's RARE design. While I think Nintendo vastly improved most of RARE's designs, their version of K. Rool is horrible. At least give me his golden underbelly, large crown, tail, and larger cape back.
I don't think Nintendo really improved on any of Rare's designs, personally.

I still hate Tiny Kong's redesign.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm gonna be the dark horse here and go for the latter option.

I cannot put in mere words how much I adore K. Rool's boss battle themes, and to hear a remix of all three in the same vein as Brawl's Gangplank Galleon remix would be music to my sweet fluffy ears~

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

I like Tiny's new design more than the old one. Hell, it even feels like a Rare design, considering Candy, Berri, Krystal, etc.

Though I do prefer Dixie's old design, even though the newer design only lacks the leggings.

And obviously Rare K. Rool is miles better than Paon Rool.

Justin Little

Smash Ace

Wasn't it RARE themselves who redesigned Tiny from DKR DS, or was she a teenager in the Paon games as well?

I think they improved Diddy and Dixie at least. Diddy is no longer fat, and Dixie looks less like Diddy now.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
wait RARE did Krystal?
That's a long and old story.

Summary: Rare was making a new game for the N64, Dinosaur Planet, Krystal was the protagonist.

Miyamoto looked at it and said "it looks rike Star Fox, make it that instead." and so after being delayed to the GameCube, Rare's final Nintendo (besides a few handheld titles) game was released. Star Fox Adventures. Rare died after that.

Pretty much the major reason I supported Krystal was to cling to the last piece of Rare that was left behind.

Though I want King K. Rool because I actually played DKC and loved the games and the king. But also Rare.

Chase

Smash Ace
I like Tiny's new design more than the old one. Hell, it even feels like a Rare design, considering Candy, Berri, Krystal, etc.

Though I do prefer Dixie's old design, even though the newer design only lacks the leggings.

I like Retro's design of Dixie the best. Seems much more expressive compared to previous ones. That's the case for all the Kongs really (except Funky, who's kind of the same).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Summary: Rare was making a new game for the N64, Dinosaur Planet, Krystal was the protagonist.

Miyamoto looked at it and said "it looks rike Star Fox, make it that instead." and so after being delayed to the GameCube, Rare's final Nintendo (besides a few handheld titles) game was released. Star Fox Adventures. Rare died after that.

Pretty much the major reason I supported Krystal was to cling to the last piece of Rare that was left behind.

Though I want King K. Rool because I actually played DKC and loved the games and the king. But also Rare.
I only didn't know about Rare being involved, that reason is good enough, and to think people whined that it was different

Justin Little

Smash Ace
To me, Star Fox Adventures was great. It is my second favorite Star Fox game behind 64. People love to complain that it is a terrible Zelda clone, but most are exaggerating.

Okami and Star Fox Adventures are my favorite shameless Zelda clones. Also, SFA has David Wise. It is incredible.

D

Deleted member

Summary: Rare was making a new game for the N64, Dinosaur Planet, Krystal was the secondary protagonist.

Fixed with the underlined.
Sabre was the main protagonist.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'd love Krystal just because she's the closest thing to a Banjo-Kazooie/Conker character that we'll ever get.

Wasn't it RARE themselves who redesigned Tiny from DKR DS, or was she a teenager in the Paon games as well?

I think they improved Diddy and Dixie at least. Diddy is no longer fat, and Dixie looks less like Diddy now.
From my understanding she was being redesigned for something else so she had to look like that in DKR, but DKR ended up coming out first.

I prefer the "I'd love to pinch her cheeks" look to the "some horny weirdos are going to love this" look.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'd love Krystal just because she's the closest thing to a Banjo-Kazooie/Conker character that we'll ever get.

From my understanding she was being redesigned for something else so she had to look like that in DKR, but DKR ended up coming out first.

I prefer the "I'd love to pinch her cheeks" look to the "some horny weirdos are going to love this" look.
I guess bestiality is their thing.

I don't care for her new design though but I'd still play as her.

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I drew up K. Rool in my free time, I don't draw often and it's not in color, but I did my best for it being my first time drawing our King.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

I'm stuck between 2, 3, 6, and 8
2 because I really don't like his PAON design, but love his Rare one
3 because he deserves those costumes
6 because WEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LISTEN HERE!!!
8 because Gangplank Galleon is my jam

I suppose I'd logically choose 6, because his cartoon voice would only really fit his Rare design, and even Sakurai would realize it would seem wrong with his PAON one, and if he gets his Rare design, his alts would be very likely, and having at least a Gangplank remix is Incredibles likely either way.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Kopying over a K. Rool poll from GameFAQs of all places that I think could generate some interesting discussion in here:

6. K. Rool's voice emulates his voice from the DKC kartoon
7. K. Rool's voice emulates emulating realistic krokodile noises

2: Rare's design is the best. 3: Alt-Kostume material. and 5: His voice sounds like a kartoony, pissed, Joseph Stalin which is fitting. I never heard him in the DKC Kartoon though so no komment.

Top Bottom