• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Maybe it's just me but I don't see the appeal of the land games if you can play the DKCs. Even my nostalgia for DKL2 doesn't draw me to that game. Not only are the graphics worse but Kong selection is gutted by the fact that one Kong is outright superior to its partner. And I don't mean in the DKC1 way where DK had one or two things over Diddy but Diddy was far better. I mean that in DKL Diddy has the same hitbox and speed as DK, but he still can't kill those those few enemies that he couldn't in DKC (I think DK also still has the ground pound). Or for example in DKL2, Diddy has the same hitbox and speed as Dixie, but Dixie can twirl.

Poor Diddy
Diddy confirmed as Bottom Tier. :crying:

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Maybe it's just me but I don't see the appeal of the land games if you can play the DKCs. Even my nostalgia for DKL2 doesn't draw me to that game. Not only are the graphics worse but Kong selection is gutted by the fact that one Kong is outright superior to its partner. And I don't mean in the DKC1 way where DK had one or two things over Diddy but Diddy was far better. I mean that in DKL Diddy has the same hitbox and speed as DK, but he still can't kill those those few enemies that he couldn't in DKC (I think DK also still has the ground pound). Or for example in DKL2, Diddy has the same hitbox and speed as Dixie, but Dixie can twirl.

Poor Diddy
well diddy is pretty much top teir is smash now so that definely makes up for his uselessness, until dixie is in smash bros, then everyone is doomed

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
@ BowserK.Rool BowserK.Rool I really like K. Rool's design in all these drawings of yours. Isn't he a bit big compared to the other characters, though? Like, someone brought up Master Fortress on the other page. . .if K. Rool was playing through it, he couldn't squeeze through some of the tight tunnels at that size, he'd get stuck!

I've updated a healthy three sections of the OP; cannonballs, cloud projectiles and helicopter pack. I hope you enjoy reading them. . .the sections are slowly, but surely getting filled out.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
@ BowserK.Rool BowserK.Rool I really like K. Rool's design in all these drawings of yours. Isn't he a bit big compared to the other characters, though? Like, someone brought up Master Fortress on the other page. . .if K. Rool was playing through it, he couldn't squeeze through some of the tight tunnels at that size, he'd get stuck!
It's not like King K. Rool hasn't been depicted in different sizes before. He was massive in DK64.

Though the size in the drawings is really more of a creative liberty given that it's being done on a GamePad. Not exactly a big screen to work with, either.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It's not like King K. Rool hasn't been depicted in different sizes before. He was massive in DK64.

Though the size in the drawings is really more of a creative liberty given that it's being done on a GamePad. Not exactly a big screen to work with, either.
Yeah, that's another thing, they're ten times more impressive, knowing the medium on which they were drawn. He'd just have to be more around Bowser's size in that image to be a functional character (at least outside of some boss mode, which we'd probably not prefer).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
well if smash follows the dk canon, dixie will be way better than diddy in every way, so if that tarnslatesz to smash we would have a brawl metaknight case going on
Diddy was much faster than Dixie, and had a much better roll attack, which made his roll jumping better. I do not agree that Dixie was better than Diddy in every way. In fact, Dixie is far more of a 'safe choice' than Diddy. Diddy is meant to rush through levels, aka: the choice of profesionals. :shades:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Diddy was much faster than Dixie, and had a much better roll attack, which made his roll jumping better. I do not agree that Dixie was better than Diddy in every way. In fact, Dixie is far more of a 'safe choice' than Diddy. Diddy is meant to rush through levels, aka: the choice of profesionals. :shades:
Dixie being the safe choice is exactly why she's better. I almost never use Diddy Kong because Dixie is just more awesome.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Slower does not mean equal to me. Diddy's roll jump can reach just about 75% of all places where people normally want to use Dixie's helicopter spin. So I barely used her at all myself except to reach Bonus Areas and whatnot.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
well if smash follows the dk canon, dixie will be way better than diddy in every way, so if that tarnslatesz to smash we would have a brawl metaknight case going on
She's not though. In DKC2 she's safer but less optimal. Diddy is used for the majority of a DKC2 speedrun. Even in DKC3 Dixie is only faster than Kiddy on the ropes (and certain long jumps). Dixie is who you use if you're not good at the game, Diddy is who you use if you're confident and know what you're doing. She's much better than Diddy in TF though, Diddy is just faster underwater.

Diddy is normally better than Dixie in multiplayer games though. Even before Diddy was established as a top tier I'd always expected Dixie to be worse than Diddy if she ever made it into the game. She'd be lighter, slower, floatier and probably weaker too. The designers would attempt to balance that by giving her a safe recovery and disjoints with her hair.

If K. Rool was in the game he'd be probably be mid-low tier, around Charizard-DK level.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Just a question that I may have asked before regarding the Dixie Vs. issue, how much of a chance does she still have as a DLC character, even if she has a role as a Smash Tour Trophy?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Don't think it matters much because she never physically appears in any way aside from the trophy.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about DLC though. Sakurai doesn't seem keen to do it and he's too much of a control freak to hand the reigns over to Namco. I think if we get any DLC it'll be from Nintendo pressuring him to generate some cash.

I just honestly don't see any DK DLC coming. People here were expecting a DK newcomer and look how that turned out. It's even harder to qualify as good DLC because you have to be able to sell to a wide audience.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion

I've updated a healthy three sections of the OP; cannonballs, cloud projectiles and helicopter pack. I hope you enjoy reading them. . .the sections are slowly, but surely getting filled out.
Thanks. Yeah, LIQUIDFGC basically just answered your question in the second paragraph below.

Yeah, it isn't as easy as it looks.

Yeah, that's another thing, they're ten times more impressive, knowing the medium on which they were drawn. He'd just have to be more around Bowser's size in that image to be a functional character (at least outside of some boss mode, which we'd probably not prefer).
Believe me, I was trying to make him about Bowser's size, maybe a few inches taller than him like I did in one of my other pictures but when you're given a full screen with more than 1 or 2 characters it can be tough, especially if you're nitpicky like me when it comes to the color and detail.

King_K_Rules

Smash Journeyman
Rare is having a contest on twitter

"Want to enjoy a warming winter drink in a Rare mug? Tweet us which Rare character you'd give a Christmas present to and what you'd give [ER]"

Tweet what you'd give King K. Rool, (or perhaps your other favorite Rare character) for Christmas! They could possibly retweet the winners!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

"Want to enjoy a warming winter drink in a Rare mug? Tweet us which Rare character you'd give a Christmas present to and what you'd give [ER]"

Tweet what you'd give King K. Rool, (or perhaps your other favorite Rare character) for Christmas! They could possibly retweet the winners!
@ BowserK.Rool BowserK.Rool should draw King K Rool with a birthday present on the GamePad for this. Maybe giving it to Bowser.

That'd be a good submission.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Don't think it matters much because she never physically appears in any way aside from the trophy.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about DLC though. Sakurai doesn't seem keen to do it and he's too much of a control freak to hand the reigns over to Namco. I think if we get any DLC it'll be from Nintendo pressuring him to generate some cash.

I just honestly don't see any DK DLC coming. People here were expecting a DK newcomer and look how that turned out. It's even harder to qualify as good DLC because you have to be able to sell to a wide audience.
Well, why wouldn't a DKC character as DLC appeal to a wide set of audience? Tropical Freeze sold very well, and so did both the Wii and 3DS versions of DKC Returns. Dixie as a character from Tropical Freeze would probably have a good amount of fans, and she'd be well received I think, especially if she comes as a :wolf::lucas: like semi-clone, along with them.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
At this point I just think Sakurai genuinely doesn't think DK is that important. There's absolutely nothing standing in K. Rool or Dixie's way, they're both popular requests and important characters to the franchise, Dixie is essentially the third protagonist and K. Rool the main villain of the series, K. Rool has loads of potential and Dixie at least has enough to make something servicable. And yet we get absolutely nothing, despite DK being one of Nintendo's largest and most popular franchises, one which recently just had a massively popular revival at that. DK should be up there with Mario, Pokémon and Zelda, so why the **** is it crawling along the bottom with all the other minor and dead franchises instead.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
What's with the Diddy vs Dixie fight going on in here? Who cares which one is "better?" I just pick Dixie because I like Dixie.

"Want to enjoy a warming winter drink in a Rare mug? Tweet us which Rare character you'd give a Christmas present to and what you'd give [ER]
I'd give Banjo and Kazooie a one-way ticket back to Nintendo and a new Wii U game of their own.

...Every time I'm reminded of Rare, a part of me dies. I'm slowly dying with each day...

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
@ BowserK.Rool BowserK.Rool should draw King K Rool with a birthday present on the GamePad for this. Maybe giving it to Bowser.

That'd be a good submission.
haha thanks, I would but apparently Rare wants the entries in by 3 pm today which is getting nearer over here for me so I just tweeted them saying that I'd give King K. Rool a ticket for him to be in Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3-DS for DLC next year along with some spiced rum. xD

That reminds me, I came upon another K. Rool cover song that this time had a bunch of kremlings singing and dancing in it or at least so I could see and hear. :)

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
haha thanks, I would but apparently Rare wants the entries in by 3 pm today which is getting nearer over here for me so I just tweeted them saying that I'd give King K. Rool a ticket for him to be in Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3-DS for DLC next year along with some spiced rum. xD

That reminds me, I came upon another K. Rool cover song that this time had a bunch of kremlings singing and dancing in it or at least so I could see and hear. :)
This was actually posted way back, but thanks for posting it again, I could use it since my mood is cruddy. I got a sore calf.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well, why wouldn't a DKC character as DLC appeal to a wide set of audience? Tropical Freeze sold very well, and so did both the Wii and 3DS versions of DKC Returns. Dixie as a character from Tropical Freeze would probably have a good amount of fans, and she'd be well received I think, especially if she comes as a :wolf::lucas: like semi-clone, along with them.
Has TF even cracked 1 million sales yet? If it hasn't, it would have sold less than DKC3.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
DKC3 got over a million sales? Wasn't it released right after or just before the N64's launch?
Yeah it got around 1 million I think. Which was poor for a DKC back then considering that DKC1 got over 9 million.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm wondering if people are just waiting for K. Rool to come back before declaring the Donkey Kong series "revived".

I'm just curious. Thinking out loud and what have you. It feels like there's still a vital component of the whole schematics missing without the Kremling King himself, y'know?

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
I'm wondering if people are just waiting for K. Rool to come back before declaring the Donkey Kong series "revived".

I'm just curious. Thinking out loud and what have you. It feels like there's still a vital component of the whole schematics missing without the Kremling King himself, y'know?
Returns did keep in the spirit of Rare by having a ball-busting difficultly curve somewhere. DKC had K. Rool's fight, Banjo-Kazooie had Rusty Bucket Bay, Battletoads had Turbo Tunnels, and Golden Eye had the Aztec Complex. Other than that, the King/Kaptain/Scientist/Boxer/Pharaoh will be enough to finish the trilogy alone.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I think that the series has already been "revived" in the form of the Returns games despite K. Rool not appearing in them.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Has TF even cracked 1 million sales yet?
Estimates point to no, not even.

To put in perspective, DKCR in 5 months sold around 4 million copies worldwide. DKCTF in 10 months can't even get 1/4 that amount.

Puts in perspective the gap between the Wii's performance compared to the Wii U's.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Estimates point to no, not even.

To put in perspective, DKCR in 5 months sold around 4 million copies worldwide. DKCTF in 10 months can't even get 1/4 that amount.

Puts in perspective the gap between the Wii's performance compared to the Wii U's.
Estimates point to no for... what? There's all kinds of discussion, and I have no idea what exactly you're looking at here.

Anyway, TF will probably hit 1m within the next few months. Hopefully it'll get better now that more people are buying the console for Smash and MK8.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Estimates point to no that TF has not in fact reached 1 millions sales. I used the term "estimates" because these sales charts are usually far from accurate, and should be taken with a grain of salt. I was answering Dre's question.

I guess I worded it poorly.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Estimates point to no that TF has not in fact reached 1 millions sales. I used the term "estimates" because these sales charts are usually far from accurate, and should be taken with a grain of salt. I was answering Dre's question.

I guess I worded it poorly.
Yeah, the only thing we've got is VGChartz. I hate how people are so quick to dismiss them; VGChartz is good for estimations when there's no other data. The only problem with VGChartz is they don't outright say they're just estimates, and that's the big issue. If they just admitted they were estimations there wouldn't be a problem.

I definitely expect TF to top 1m, might even break 1.5m within two years, but it'll still be among the lowest selling DKC games. Granted, Returns 3D was only about 1.2m.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yeah, the only thing we've got is VGChartz. I hate how people are so quick to dismiss them; VGChartz is good for estimations when there's no other data. The only problem with VGChartz is they don't outright say they're just estimates, and that's the big issue. If they just admitted they were estimations there wouldn't be a problem.

I definitely expect TF to top 1m, might even break 1.5m within two years, but it'll still be among the lowest selling DKC games. Granted, Returns 3D was only about 1.2m.
And that's the problem here, they don't present those numbers as estimations. To make matters worse, they don't even update their numbers when official sources come out about it. For instance, Pokémon Black and White has sold 15.58m as of March 31st 2014, VGcharts has it at 14.95m as of this November, which is lower then the official source has given. So not only is their estimation wrong, they didn't bother to fix it and continue to present the wrong numbers, which leads to them giving out misinformation.

That's why they get dismissed, if the numbers they present are not honest, updated and unsupported, you can't place a lot of faith with them. Which is why if you want accurate sales data, people will tell you it's better to get another source then rely on VGcharts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom