• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Has anyone else ever noticed that in Brawl, one of the names that appears when you press the "Random Name" button when naming a custom stage is KROOL?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If the relevance argument wasn't a factor why do we have characters like Greninja and Rosalina?
Pokemon tends to get a rep from the latest game, and Rosalina has been around for quite some time now already and has become quite the popular character in the Mario franchise. Relevance has nothing to do with either one's inclusion. Greninja was chosen to promote the latest game and because Sakurai liked his design, not because he's "relevant."

In fact, Greninja can hardly be considered relevant. He's recent, but he wasn't even close to the most significant Pokemon in X/Y, he wasn't even actively promoted that much at all.

And that same logic cant be used for game and watch and rob? (Obviously they repersent the "Retro" part of nintendo but thats beside the point here)
You're contradicting yourself. Now you're saying its about moveset potential, before it was about relevance. Which is it?

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Because Sakuria saw the potential in their moveset.
Yes but then we have characters like Lucina and potentially Dark Pit who are both recent but didn't have any effort put into them. So it can kinda go both ways here.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
And that same logic cant be used for game and watch and rob? (Obviously they repersent the "Retro" part of nintendo but thats beside the point here)
Are you sure this relates to the point you are trying to promote or persuade people of? R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch were not chosen just because they were Retro, but because they had moveset potential, same as the new members of the Nintendo Family.

When you get right down to it, Sakurai does not really focus on those things, but Fan requests and moveset potential is what he does focus on.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yes but then we have characters like Lucina and potentially Dark Pit who are both recent but didn't have any effort put into them. So it can kinda go both ways here.
Both were added due to popularity, but were not planned at all to be separate characters. Lucina was very popular in Awakening, but was originally a reskin. Same with Dark Pit. Medusa or Hades, the next characters people would think of from KI, have more than enough potential for fully original movesets and wouldn't look the same as fully separate characters, hence why Dark Pit got in instead.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Lucina was originally an Alternate Costume for Marth, but she was also Intelligent Systems favorite character from the Awakening game.

Dark Pit is what i would consider "spot filler" someone whose main focus is not their moveset, but to fill a roster spot. And even then, it is unsure whether or not Pit is a full clone or maybe even a quasi clone.

Edit: Plus it helps that Dark Pit is popular.

Last edited:

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Pokemon tends to get a rep from the latest game, and Rosalina has been around for quite some time now already and has become quite the popular character in the Mario franchise. Relevance has nothing to do with either one's inclusion. Greninja was chosen to promote the latest game and because Sakurai liked his design, not because he's "relevant."

In fact, Greninja can hardly be considered relevant. He's recent, but he wasn't even close to the most significant Pokemon in X/Y, he wasn't even actively promoted that much at all.

You're contradicting yourself. Now you're saying its about moveset potential, before it was about relevance. Which is it?
All i was saying is if "Relvance" wasn't a factor characters like Greninja or Rosalina wouldn't be in. No one requested those characters. Hell what abotu WFT? No one requested her was well. There in because their relevant and it's a perfect marketing oppertunity.

Game and Watch and ROB on the other hand repersents a different part of Nintendo that negates the "Relavant" argument. Most of the people that first played melee probably had no idea what the hall a game and watch was let alone request for it. But in Sakurai eyes it repersented the "Retro" part of nintendo and thus why it made it (Along with the other retro reps down the line)

Anyway im out for real this time lol. Work shift ended. Again good luck to the k rool fans. As much as i argued about him not being in the fact is he still has a chance,

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
A little something for all you nay-Sayers:

King Dedede hasn't been a legitimate villain in the Kirby series since Super Star, and even then he was clearly outclassed by Marx. Super Star Ultra was a remake, but still the final boss in the true arena was Marx Soul, not the Dedede, yet he is in Brawl and the new smash.

My point is that even if a villain hasn't been a true villain in a long time they still can be in and classified as a villain.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If the relevance argument wasn't a factor why do we have characters like Greninja and Rosalina?
Just because relevancy doesn't matter doesn't mean we can't have more recent characters as well as older ones.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Both were added due to popularity, but were not planned at all to be separate characters. Lucina was very popular in Awakening, but was originally a reskin. Same with Dark Pit. Medusa or Hades, the next characters people would think of from KI, have more than enough potential for fully original movesets and wouldn't look the same as fully separate characters, hence why Dark Pit got in instead.
I am CLEARLY aware of Lucina originally being a reskin. Do I still think Sakurai should've given her a spot just because of popularity? Hell no!

I don't care if it's an extra character, I'd rather him spend that development time on an original character or something entirely else in the game. Dark Pit is something very predictable, but I pray to god he's an original character since he actually has the potential (if you played Uprising you'd agree with me).

EDIT: Let's try to get back on topic

Last edited:

Rubbertop

Smash Cadet
NNID
Matt.C
3DS FC
4511-0538-1886
In one of leaked photos there is a Larry Koopa in the clown car pic which means that has a good possibility of happening. I know a lot of people have already crossed of the great King K Rool, but Sakurai still has some surprises for us yet. He won't let a leak get him down especially if that isn't all the characters as I expect it isn't.
I'd definitely be down for a vehicle character in Smash.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I hate the relevance argument, if it was so important, Why do we have Mr.Game&Watch or ROB?
Arbitrary "retro" label. Which we'll be able to apply to K. Rool if he's not in this time, mind you, so he automatically forgoes all this crappy scrutiny of "relevance" in the future, heh.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Well, the Duck Hunt Dog is another example of a "retro" character (which is an arbitrary classification anyway), so people will argue that he was added because he was old, and that it doesn't affect the "relevance" argument.
Duck Hunt Dog is okay because he's arbitrarily 'retro'.
Ah, "Retro". The most arbitrary and bull**** criteria that the speculation community keeps spouting out despite barely understanding what it even means without constantly contradicting themselves.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457

King Dedede hasn't been a legitimate villain in the Kirby series since Super Star, and even then he was clearly outclassed by Marx. Super Star Ultra was a remake, but still the final boss in the true arena was Marx Soul, not the Dedede, yet he is in Brawl and the new smash.

My point is that even if a villain hasn't been a true villain in a long time they still can be in and classified as a villain.
K. Rool hasn't appeared at all, villain or not. That's not even remotely equivalent.

The Retro reps are all the sole representatives of their franchises. K. Rool wouldn't be.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

I appreciate your analogy, but doesn't it seem out of place? Hasn't King Dedede been in every Kirby game even when he was not the main villain?

I thank you for your support, but I do feel this analogy does not hold the merit it was intended to.

ArturoLamilla

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArturoWiiU
That battle with King Kut Out is very funny, I love it! The scream of the false K. Rool is great xD, this should be the Assit Trophy corresponding to K. Rool. The kremlings are soo stupids hahaha!

ArturoLamilla

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArturoWiiU
Have you heard something about Grant Kirkhope's help for us? I recently posted a K. Rool messahe in his Facebook wall and he said nothing. I think he read it but didn't want to say anything, because after a few weeks I posted a video of DK64 and he liked it and even he commented the video. The same thing is happening with David Wise, some people has asked him about Diddy Kong Racing 2 and he says nothing, there is something strange in those guys recently, maybe Nintendo is planning something big for DK and we dont know yet.

If you think, they brought David Wise last year and announced him at E3 2013, Nintendo knew that we wanted David Wise so much, and why then they wouldn't have known that we have been waiting for K. Rool also? Think that David Wise is as important or even more important to DKC than K. Rool, he is the spirit of DKC because of his music!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Have you heard something about Grant Kirkhope's help for us? I recently posted a K. Rool messahe in his Facebook wall and he said nothing. I think he read it but didn't want to say anything, because after a few weeks I posted a video of DK64 and he liked it and even he commented the video. The same thing is happening with David Wise, some people has asked him about Diddy Kong Racing 2 and he says nothing, there is something strange in those guys recently, maybe Nintendo is planning something big for DK and we dont know yet.

If you think, they brought David Wise last year and announced him at E3 2013, Nintendo knew that we wanted David Wise so much, and why then they wouldn't have known that we have been waiting for K. Rool also? Think that David Wise is as important or even more important to DKC than K. Rool, he is the spirit of DKC because of his music!
Gotta wonder... it is interesting... I... don't want to get my hopes up, although I honestly do believe DKR2 is in development. As for K. Rool in Smash, I still think its quite likely. I'm definitely not as confident as I once was, but I think he's more likely in than he's not. Johnknight's roster explanation is quite good and detailed, explaining that its quite likely we would have the roster expand from 8 columns into 10, as every game to date has expanded by two columns (although in 64 the slots were shown from the start).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
And we know the history behind characters once planned and didnt make it and then are in the next game
Meowth, Balloon Fighter, Mach Rider, Excite Biker, Lip, Tingle, cut characters at all

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Zelda has its full core cast, although Impa would round it out nicely. Mewtwo should come back to round out the core Pokemon cast (Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, and Lucario), Star Fox just needs Wolf to maintain its core cast, Kirby has its core cast, Rosalina and Bowser Jr. are rising stars to round out the Mario core cast nicely... DK just needs K. Rool and Dixie Kong, while Metroid needs Ridley to round out their core casts as well. :p

Meowth, Balloon Fighter, Mach Rider, Excite Biker, Lip, Tingle, cut characters at all
Lip... Yeah, I'd love for Lip to be playable... ugh...

What about Tingle? Where was that ever brought up? I don't think Tingle was ever considered at all for playable status.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm just letting everyone know, I'm bracing myself for K Rool notbeing in the initial batch.
I stll believe he is part of the main cast initally planned- I just don't think we will have the main roster of the game for a bit.

I've always believed the main thing Sakurai wanted to embrace for this game were surprise newcomers. I have no idea how he plans to do it if NOT DLC, but I'm sure he has surprise newcomers, and I'd be shocked if King K Rool is not one of them. I imagine it will just be a smash update some time after the whole world has access to the game (so that Japan could not leak it first- which is something I always struggled with with leaks.).

That said, I've been under the assumption for quite some time now that we will not know the full roster when Japan gets the game. All these comments of 'we will know in a week,' make me scoff, because I'm almost certain we will not. The spirit of the newcomer is the surprise newcomer, and I'm certain Sakurai was banking on a leak being likely. I think this was part of the plan all along.

As I said, I brace myself for 'see, he is not in!' I doubt we will know the roster in a few days. I believe in a few days, the confirmation may be the main leak- I just think that MAIN leak is far from the end, because it is still a way to keep us ready for the big "WARNING: Challenger Approaching!" Silhouette.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Zelda has its full core cast, although Impa would round it out nicely. Mewtwo should come back to round out the core Pokemon cast (Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, and Lucario), Star Fox just needs Wolf to maintain its core cast, Kirby has its core cast, Rosalina and Bowser Jr. are rising stars to round out the Mario core cast nicely... DK just needs K. Rool and Dixie Kong, while Metroid needs Ridley to round out their core casts as well. :p
Pokemon is not even trying to represent its 'core cast.' If it is, the roster would be:
Pikachu, Charizard, Sceptile, Greninja, Lucario, Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer.

I'm sorry, but your assertion to the main cast has nothing to do with any core players of Pokemon other than the vanity popularity queens. That would be the same as saying the core players of Zelda are Link, Zelda, Midna, Sheik, Ghirahim, Tingle, and Groose.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Pokemon is not even trying to represent its 'core cast.' If it is, the roster would be:
Pikachu, Charizard, Sceptile, Greninja, Lucario, Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer.

I'm sorry, but your assertion to the main cast has nothing to do with any core players of Pokemon other than the vanity popularity queens. That would be the same as saying the core players of Zelda are Link, Zelda, Midna, Sheik, Ghirahim, Tingle, and Groose.
Well, I was mainly talking about the most promoted characters. Pokemon is more iffy on that subject, really.

Hyle "Slush" Russell

Smash Cadet
While I've been bracing myself for disappointment on the Donkey Kong front, I really can't fathom any reason we haven't seen a trace of K. Rool, Ridley or Mewtwo in the Pics of the Day or the leak. A deconfirmation in the form of a trophy, an Assist Trophy, a boss... anything. One of them would have appeared somewhere, and if any of them ARE unlockable, what are the odds that they would still remain hidden in the leak? The three most hyped characters and the leak doesn't spoil them?

So yeah, I'm starting to believe the theory that they're going to be a DLC package or they're going to be unlocked by connecting the Wii U and 3DS games. It would be Sakurai's way of giving the fans what they want without spoiling the surprise... while putting us through sheer agony in the meantime.

Top Bottom