• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
@Shortiecanbrawl Here's the Cranky interview. Says that Retro designers talked with Miyamoto about which characters to use, he made his suggestions (like Cranky), then Retro decided to build everything else up from scratch.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
As I scrolled down this page, I kept saving the icons thinking they'd be the last. But then someone comes along with an even better K. Rool. :laugh:

Great work guys!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I really like the new image! Great job!

Also honestly, the kremlings were great. Maybe not always the most memorable but
please tell me someoe in here saw the final boss f DKC:TF. Please.
I did see the final boss and man, talk about a disappointing and boring fight.

Last edited:

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
@Shortiecanbrawl Here's the Cranky interview. Says that Retro designers talked with Miyamoto about which characters to use, he made his suggestions (like Cranky), then Retro decided to build everything else up from scratch.
I still think it's Miyamoto who is keeping the Kremlings out of DKC. I have trouble trusting the man after what happened to Sticker Star.

D

Deleted member

Okay, one last one. I gave him a slight scaly texture.

That's impressive! If it was a part of some leak, I might believe it while still have some doubts in my mind. Still, amazing job with editing that image!

Now… prepare to cringe… this came from NOA's Twitter:

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
That was also on their Facebook. I left a comment saying "No, but King K. Rool does"

Also that artwork is the best K. Rool fanart I've seen in a long time.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
A comparison:

This both makes me cry and makes me incredibly happy. This just looks so right, this K. Rool is just perfect. We need the King back, we need him in Smash.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Unless they go with the awful Paon design...

I would be fine with something like that if we got his golden belly back.

Also a little of fridge brilliance with the golden belly, but in real life crocodiles have tough hides but soft under bellies. So to have an anthropomorphic crocodile basically patch up that weakness with a metal is actually a pretty clever way of fixing an achilles' heel. So to see him with that feature gone after DK64, it makes him look more exposed.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I like the Paon design. Not as much as the Rare design, but the original has its problems too. Preferably, I'd like Smash's K. Rool to be a compromise between both.
I don't like it because I much prefer his belly being golden and his skin being scaly. If it wasn't for that, I'd be okay with the design...but those changes make him look like generic Mario character #7 to me.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'd be fine with a cross of the designs, like Habanero said, I mostly want the golden belly back, and also his tail.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The Paon design isn't necessarily awful, it's just less good. However, I do expect K. Rool's appearance to mostly resemble his Rare design, since that's the design he had in the actual core games, where as the Paon design has only been featured in spin-off games afaik.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I don't like it because I much prefer his belly being golden and his skin being scaly. If it wasn't for that, I'd be okay with the design...but those changes make him look like generic Mario character #7 to me.
I agree in that the lack of scales is my main gripe with the design. It's much too smooth and has lost the grittier aspects of his Rare look, which of course leads to him resembling a Mario character. To be fair, that's the direction the DK series has been taking for about a decade now, so K. Rool isn't the only one affected, but he's probably taken the biggest hit, since his design was more "Rare-like" than most of the Kongs'.

I do like the claws, muscle definition, and goofy expression though. Aside from the lack of scales, the more rounded snout and tiny crown are my other dislikes. I never really cared one way or the other about the golden belly armor. I don't really care if they ever bring it back or not. Whether or not they do, I'd like his gut to become darker, since the current color is too fleshy and human-like for my tastes.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I have no problem with the Nintendo's design for K. Rool, and kinda like it. But, is just that this incarnation that way didn't do anything great to be remembered... but the things can change if he appears in Smash4, even with the "paon" design, will be the greatest return of all!

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
A comparison:

This both makes me cry and makes me incredibly happy. This just looks so right, this K. Rool is just perfect. We need the King back, we need him in Smash.
Simply perfect, and I've already convinced a friend to use that image in an upcoming project for K. Rool. I can't imagine the hype if the Kremling Kommander gets in, it'll be electric!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
To be fair, the I would be ecstatic if K. Rool got in even with his Paon design. I just would much prefer a design like the one we worked on here.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
A comparison:

Has it been stressed enough how great this is? I don't think so, it's just that great.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
A comparison:

I don't think I can say anything else that hasn't been said in summing up how great that render looks for King K. Rool, great job guys, he looks fantastic!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
A comparison:

That's just perfect. I honestly believe that's what he could look like on the Wii U version.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Why is the cape under his chest plate?

EDIT: Ah, that's the way it is in his DKC1 renders. They changed it in his later designs. It looks pretty jarring, though.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417