• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think, if anything, he'd contact Nintendo HQ for K. Rool's character design direction. Retro, to our knowledge, hasn't ever worked with the character (there may have been conceptual designs, but if there were, they were scrapped). He'd probably want to know how Nintendo wishes for the character to be portrayed, especially since they haven't used him in so long.
That sounds reasonable.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I forget whether he said it in his GDC presentation of in his caption for that Mega Man drawing, but Sakurai once claimed that he likes to talk to people who have something to do with the characters he's adding. With that in mind, it's doubtful he'd go to Retro for K. Rool, given that they not only have nothing to do with the character, but seem to like it that way. Granted, he's not going to Rare either, but Paon did help with Brawl if I remember correctly, so maybe they'd get some input?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I don't think Retro has a problem with the character so much as they're trying not to make the DKCR series into New Super Mario Bros. I would be legitimately surprised if K. Rool didn't make a comeback at either the end of Tropical Freeze or in the eventual third Returns game.

Retro, of all companies, seems to know what people want. They're probably just stringing everyone along and then going to whip out K. Rool right when people start to get tired of their (admittedly horrible) one-off villains.

D

Deleted member

I forget whether he said it in his GDC presentation of in his caption for that Mega Man drawing, but Sakurai once claimed that he likes to talk to people who have something to do with the characters he's adding. With that in mind, it's doubtful he'd go to Retro for K. Rool, given that they not only have nothing to do with the character, but seem to like it that way. Granted, he's not going to Rare either, but Paon did help with Brawl if I remember correctly, so maybe they'd get some input?
I hope that Sakurai goes to Monolith Soft for Shulk!
I think that he would go to Nintendo themselves as they own the IP. However, I remember a GameXplain analysis video and they mentioned that a tiki head from DKCR was shown in the first trailer (when Donkey Kong is running), so it's (sadly) possible that he went to Retro. If he went to Retro for advice, then I bet that they are going to recommend Dixie Kong for a DK newcomer. Though, I hope that I am wrong because I much rather have K. Rool.

Retro, of all companies, seems to know what people want. They're probably just stringing everyone along and then going to whip out K. Rool right when people start to get tired of their (admittedly horrible) one-off villains.
We're gonna be two games in next month and I am already tired of their one-off villains. I bet that they will make DKCR a trilogy. If they do, K. Rool better be the villain in the next one…

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Now that you mention it, there's one argument I don't understand at all: "K. Rool doesn't have a chance...unless he's in Tropical Freeze." For starters, it's just a silly check-the-box fan-made rule that every added character has to be in their franchise's latest game or it's doom and gloom for them. Beyond that, people imply that K. Rool being in Tropical Freeze would put him at least on par with Dixie/Cranky if not beyond them as newcomer candidates, because of him being unique and popular. The thing is...he's already both of those things, arbitrary box-checking new appearance be damned, and those are actually known considerations of the developers. Thoughts?

D

Deleted member

Now that you mention it, there's one argument I don't understand at all: "K. Rool doesn't have a chance...unless he's in Tropical Freeze." For starters, it's just a silly check-the-box fan-made rule that every added character has to be in their franchise's latest game or it's doom and gloom for them. Beyond that, people imply that K. Rool being in Tropical Freeze would put him at least on par with Dixie/Cranky if not beyond them as newcomer candidates, because of him being unique and popular. The thing is...he's already both of those things, arbitrary box-checking new appearance be damned, and those are actually known considerations of the developers. Thoughts?
While I do think that K. Rool getting excluded from these important games does hurt his chances a bit, I don't find him to be doomed. Besides, Diddy Kong getting excluded in Jungle Beat didn't doom him at all for Brawl. According to Chrono, K. Rool is more demanded than Dixie Kong is and is on par with the already confirmed Mega Man. As I've mentioned before, leaving how K. Rool would be an absolute missed opportunity as he is one of the most unique options available. Since Sakurai is mostly looking at newcomers and seeing how unique they can be (every newcomer is evidenced by this), K. Rool would definitely be a highly appealing character to him. There is just so much they can do with him.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
The problem isn't people taking the relevance factor seriously, because frankly anybody who thinks that the games a character has appeared in has no bearing on their chances is stupid. But it's also just as stupid to think that it's the only factor and that only the characters that have appeared in the latest game have a chance, because there are other factors that come into play as well. Dixie's appearance in Tropical Freeze is literally the only thing K. Rool has against him, and it's not like DK can't have four characters anyway.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Now that you mention it, there's one argument I don't understand at all: "K. Rool doesn't have a chance...unless he's in Tropical Freeze." For starters, it's just a silly check-the-box fan-made rule that every added character has to be in their franchise's latest game or it's doom and gloom for them.
Yeah, it's like.. if Bowser wasn't in SM3DW he won't be in Smash because he isn't relevant anymore.. lol, K.Rool was in every DK game besides Jungle Beat and Returns, right? (of course, and without counting some SpinOFFs with Mario)... even if he's not in Tropical Freeze, he's still the biggest DK enemy, it's something stuck in the legacy of the character and franchise... '-'.

someone once argued for me that even Funky Kong have most chances than K.Rool... since he's in Mario Kart Wii and K.Rool not. lol.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The situation in which K. Rool is in actually quite similar to Ganondorf's. He too hasn't been the main villain in a Zelda game for quite a while now. The only difference is that Ganondorf was lucky to get in when he was at the height of his popularity.

But you don't see anyone questioning Ganondorf's chances except the idiots who expected Ghirahim to replace him.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
People make exceptions for the veterans who haven't appeared in new games for quite some time because, what do you know, they're unique and popular characters in Smash. The way I see it, if a newcomer could fill the same role, they're still in the running.

At this point, I'm wondering, if K. Rool is playable, whether he'd be revealed before or after release.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
People make exceptions for the veterans who haven't appeared in new games for quite some time because, what do you know, they're unique and popular characters in Smash. The way I see it, if a newcomer could fill the same role, they're still in the running.

At this point, I'm wondering, if K. Rool is playable, whether he'd be revealed before or after release.
Because of high demand a reveal at E3 would be perfect. As it is an event where everyone is looking at it, revealing a newcomer like K.Rool or Ridley would just be the best way to get the news straight to everybody.

After all, I'm already crossing fingers for K.Rool quite a while and if needed even until E3. Guess I have to write my exams with one hand ;)

D

Deleted member

I say before release. King K. Rool is a character that will definitely draw in attention and hype.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, hype and attention are great reasons to show off guys like K. Rool and Ridley pre-release. Some people think they're more suited to be unlockables, but after Rosalina, a consistent unlockable in Mario games, was shown off, I'm skeptical. Though granted, she had promotional reasons for being shown off, which is why I'm pretty sure that, if Dixie and/or Cranky are in the game, they're getting shown off in a Nintendo Direct around February or March, right around Tropical Freeze.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He could end up unlockable since he doesn't promote anything. But on the other hand, he is the most wanted newcomer universally, so it'd be pretty odd not revealing him before release to shake up some hype. If they reveal characters like Ridley, Mewtwo and Pac-Man before release, and you combine that with Mega Man, then they'd have whipped up enough hype to safely be able to make people sit at the edge of their seat to find out if K. Rool is in or not, so in that way it could be beneficial to keep K. Rool as a post-release thing. If Dixie is in in addition to K. Rool too then it's also obvious to make him an unlockable.

Either way, I think both situations are possible, and if he is going to be revealed before release it's probably a safe bet that he's going to be revealed a few months after Tropical Freeze's release, as to not conflict with the contents of that game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Because of high demand a reveal at E3 would be perfect. As it is an event where everyone is looking at it, revealing a newcomer like K.Rool or Ridley would just be the best way to get the news straight to everybody.

After all, I'm already crossing fingers for K.Rool quite a while and if needed even until E3. Guess I have to write my exams with one hand ;)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
One more consideration about K. Rool; at this point, he's 99% not in Tropical Freeze, but if by some miracle he were, he'd be some ultra-top secret final boss, meant to remain shadowed in secrecy until the game's completion. Methinks a Walking Spoiler wouldn't make for a great promotion in comparison to an obvious veteran, or perhaps a tertiary or quaternary sidekick available from the start.

bobadz

Smash Ace

They said the exact same thing for Diddy Kong, only replace Tropical Freeze for Jungle Beat.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Man, King K. Rool's Finest Hour's really catchy and fun to sing, haha.

bobadz

Smash Ace
They did?! Diddy, of all characters?!
Diddy and everyone else from the country series but DK weren't in the game because according to the developers they weren't "fresh enough", and while Diddy and co. Did appear in the Paon helmed titles Jungle Beat was the one that was promoted in brawl.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Diddy and everyone else from the country series but DK weren't in the game because according to the developers they weren't "fresh enough", and while Diddy and co. Did appear in the Paon helmed titles Jungle Beat was the one that was promoted in brawl.
People love to talk about how many spin-offs Diddy was in before Brawl, but before Brawl's roster was decided by July 7, 2005, he was only in Toadstool Tour and Double Dash, along with King of Swing and one of the Konga games. Not exactly the highest of credentials, and yet, playable he became, DKC and DK64-inspired moveset in tow.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
People love to talk about how many spin-offs Diddy was in before Brawl, but before Brawl's roster was decided by July 7, 2005, he was only in Toadstool Tour and Double Dash, along with King of Swing and one of the Konga games. Not exactly the highest of credentials, and yet, playable he became, DKC and DK64-inspired moveset in tow.
Exactly. This is why K. Rool should be in Smash.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I just wanna see what the cooky croc king would look like in HD. That's a lie, I don't just wanna see what he looks like, I want to play as him in HD.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I don't think he's in Tropical Freeze, but I doubt that would be a factor against him appearing in Smash. If anything, being in SSB4 would increase his chances of being in the next DKC game.

Even if Dixie is revealed before him, that doesn't mean that there would only be one new DK rep.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't think he's in Tropical Freeze, but I doubt that would be a factor against him appearing in Smash. If anything, being in SSB4 would increase his chances of being in the next DKC game.

Even if Dixie is revealed before him, that doesn't mean that there would only be one new DK rep.
If only people thought the same way with Bowser Jr., but each person has his/her own opinions on when a franchise doesn't need any more representation.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I completely agree with this. This game could serve as a catalyst to K.Rool making a comeback in the DK series.
Hell, depending on how far in advance Retro is looking, if they're already planning on bringing back K. Rool in their third and presumably final DKC game, they might just bring him up when asked anyway. Granted, that's a great and massive longshot, but it would be unwise to rool anything out at this point.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Has anybody considered the idea that Sakurai himself may not like the enemies Retro has used, and that he may prefer the Kremlings?

I mean think about it. We're talking about a guy who basically can pick who he wants. If he thought the new enemies were boring, he could just as easily include K.Rool, therefore basically shoehorning him into tge next DKCR game without creating a fuss over it.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I would think the opposite is true, actually. Otherwise we would've had Kremlin/Klaptraps (they could've even shoehorned the ones from Jungle Japes as hazards) would have stolen the bananas in the SSE, not Goombas/Koopas.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I would think the opposite is true, actually. Otherwise we would've had Kremlin/Klaptraps (they could've even shoehorned the ones from Jungle Japes as hazards) would have stolen the bananas in the SSE, not Goombas/Koopas.
There's two problems with this logic.
1. The SSE was a crossover. Thus, having Mario enemies stealing DK's bananas was a better choice for novelty than just having Kremlings do the job. It's Smash Bros, not a Donkey Kong game.
2. No series other than Mario had enemies appear in the SSE. This logic would assume that Sakurai also hates Space Pirates, Tektites, Moblins, his own Kirby enemies, and all of the mooks from every other series represented in the game.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Has anybody considered the idea that Sakurai himself may not like the enemies Retro has used, and that he may prefer the Kremlings?
Hard to say, but just based off the first trailer which has DK moving through a jungle designed like the ones from returns they might just reuse characters and assets/models from that for the trophies and what not at least. But you are right in that besides that (and stages) other aspects have been lifted from all over the dk spectrum.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There's two problems with this logic.
1. The SSE was a crossover. Thus, having Mario enemies stealing DK's bananas was a better choice for novelty than just having Kremlings do the job. It's Smash Bros, not a Donkey Kong game.
2. No series other than Mario had enemies appear in the SSE. This logic would assume that Sakurai also hates Space Pirates, Tektites, Moblins, his own Kirby enemies, and all of the mooks from every other series represented in the game.
That, and it would be incredibly strange to have the Kremlings show up, but not K. Rool, who most people in here seem to agree isn't cut out for a Smash boss fight.

That jungle stage from the first trailer is a pretty big source of mystery at this point. The water wheel resembles background elements from DKCR's Ruins world, and some people have said there are tiki-esque faces on the platforms, but, whereas something generic like the Punch Out!! stage still has crystal clear references to its source game, this one seems a lot more hazy. It'll be interesting to see which direction adventure mode is taken as far as DK is concerned, although, if we assume that Goombas are definitely coming back from Melee and Brawl, the Tikis would have to be revamped so as to not be redundant, considering the grunt Tikis are all but reskins of them.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
This logic would assume that Sakurai also hates Space Pirates, Moblins, his own Kirby enemies...
Isn't it obvious? Makes the leader of the Space Pirates a punching bag/Dynablade knock-off boss (twice), makes the King of Moblins the worst character in the game (i.e. a punching bag), and reduces his own Kirby enemies to a crappy side special/Final Smash that are also frequently punching bags.

Consider Klaptraps lucky that the worst that befalls them is getting shot out of barrel cannons.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
I was just thinking about how K. Rool's Smash Attacks could revolve around his DK 64 appearance. (The final boss fight)

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one that doesn't like the infected eye look? I kind of want to toss my cookies everytime I look at it. If it was me doing the game, I would have K. Rool's new design with the old clothing. It also represents both old and new.

Top Bottom