• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
If K. Rool was revealed today, what's the first thing you'd do?

I'd write a long, detailed treatise on how excited I am to play as him and how happy I am for everybody that supported him.

Then I'd download him.

Then I'd wreck it in For Glory~ :3
I'd be ridiculously calm, as mentioned before. Then I'd probably bounce off of the celebrations in here and have a lot of fun with it, while I'm trying to get him bought and downloaded.

After that, I'd offer to spar with folks on the 3DS version, to aid in training up for taking on For Glory. :laugh:

I made a thing. I'm terrible.

I must admit, I laughed incredibly hard at the fourth panel because I love how the running motion has been rendered. :laugh: And the last three absolutely make it.

I learned something new today, seems like gangplank galleon is older than we thought, here's the original theme version from the nes game "Pirates". Also composed by David Wise.

That is a fantastic find. Given the melody's origins, I guess that explains why Donkey Kong Land's theme for Gangplank Galleon sounds so incredibly cool. :grin:

And? They are still taking assets from an existing 3D model. All of the DLC costumes besides K. Rool and the non character themed ones have had existing models to take from. As for the non character themed ones, those are relatively simple and easy to create. Notice how all the animal ones have been themed after furry animals? That's cause fur effects are easy as hell, take this from someone who has experience with Blender.
Some of the base game's outfits share assets with StreetPass Mii Plaza, and, I've heard it said, Tomodachi Life, and possibly some other titles that clothing already designed for Miis could be pulled from.

Also, as far as the third-party Mii outfits go, I suspect that the only thing special about those cases is that the licensing terms for the use of Namco's, Capcom's, and Sega's characters on the roster proper (seeing as the third-party costumes only cover companies already so represented) probably included something about additional representation/profit via items like those Mii outfits.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
For PushDustIn's poll I've voted two veterans and two newcomers. For veterans I've voted Wolf because it would feel wrong to not have him back and while I don't care as much for the other veterans I've voted Snake and the next best thing. And for the newcomers, I've voted K. Rool and Dixie Kong.

And while we're talking about the kosplay, one somewhat unlikely theory I have about it is that the assets are reused not for King K. Rool, but for Kaptain K. Rool. Sure, it would be slightly weird to have K. Rool as a different persona rather than his most iconic King one, but I believe it would still work fine, especially if Wario can work as primarily being a biker (I know many people are not fan of this moveset but at least it's a believable and working moveset). Being under the Kaptain persona would allow him to use his blunderbuss much more extensively without looking out of place (whereas if you use the regular King persona the blunderbuss will likely stand out like a sore thumb if used for too many moves) and guarantee his moveset to be fully coherent from a thematic standpoint, having a clear pirate theme rather than stuff that may seem random without knowledge of his boss fights from the source games. Even as a supporter of the character there's something that bugs me about K. Rool using a mix of blunderbuss, electricity, boxing gloves, etc. in a very Villager/Bowser Jr.-esque way, it's also something I don't see Sakurai doing; those two work because their moveset put emphasis on their thematical coherence, the former using things mostly inspiring the everyday life and the later has the clown car where stuff can easily be stored. I'll be perfectly honest, if we take stuff from the source games willy-nilly for a moveset, there's a risk that the final moveset may not feel believable.

ATM I'm working on a Kaptain K. Rool moveset, which will be based mostly on the blunderbuss and have an overall pirate theme, and when I'll finish it I'm going to post it. Of course I'm not saying King K. Rool cannot have a well designed moveset, as I think it would work just fine with two or three blunderbuss moves and the helipack recovery, but I think a moveset mostly based on the Kaptain appearance may potentially be more interesting to design and offer more room for unique creative liberties. For example you can even reference the Krown Toss from DKC1 by replacing the krown by a hook as used by the Krooks from DKC2!

(Of course for Villager I said mostly everyday life... yay sure the Lloid Rocket doesn't really inspire that. But if anything it proves that King K. Rool using the blunderbuss or the helipack for a few moves can work.)
Kaptain K Rool could work in my opinion and is definitely the best if you want to focus on one persona but I disagree on the necessity. In my mind if K Rool ends up feeling a bit crazy in the various things he pulls out then it is accurately reflecting him as a character.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I must admit, I laughed incredibly hard at the fourth panel because I love how the running motion has been rendered. :laugh: And the last three absolutely make it.
That running motion was the hardest bit to make. :p
That entire motion was made just copying and cutting out parts of the promotional image of the Mii costume. Then I added the smudge effect.

:231:

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
That running motion was the hardest bit to make. :p
That entire motion was made just but copying and cutting out parts of the promotional image of the Mii costume. Then I added the smudge effect.

It was absolutely worth the effort. It looks hilarious. :laugh:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
And? They are still taking assets from an existing 3D model. All of the DLC costumes besides K. Rool and the non character themed ones have had existing models to take from. As for the non character themed ones, those are relatively simple and easy to create. Notice how all the animal ones have been themed after furry animals? That's cause fur effects are easy as hell, take this from someone who has experience with Blender.
Ok, I don't know much about taking assets of one game into another and making changes to it, or whatever. I do know however that Heihachi's Mii clothing textures are not from any game he appeared in, so where did those textures come from?

so here is a question since its kinda slow here.

say in a alternate reality k rool and the kremlings ended up as the enemies in battletoads afterall where king k rool be today? (yes he would be owned by microsoft but where would he be?)

imagine a more realistic looking k rool eating someones guts as a fatality in mortal kombat or something.

also gregg mayles is posting dkc beta/concept art things on his twitter...he already showed off early designs of dk and diddy,we should ask him if he has anything on the kremlings

Last edited:

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
so here is a question since its kinda slow here.

say in a alternate reality k rool and the kremlings ended up as the enemies in battletoads afterall where king k rool be today? (yes he would be owned by microsoft but where would he be?)

imagine a more realistic looking k rool eating someones guts as a fatality in mortal kombat or something.
that would be terrifying, and RIGHT NOW in the alternate reality where K. Rool and the kremlings were battletoad characters they're probably thinking about how weird it would be if k. rool was in donkey kong because of rare lol

I'm sure it's been talked about a dozen times in this thread already, but I wanted to poll you fellows over which aspects of K. Rool's designs you prefer.

* Big crown or little?
* Gold-plated belly or fleshy belly?
* Tail or no tail?
* Long cape or short cape?
* Three toes or four?

My personal preferences are big crown (especially if he's going to throw it), fleshy belly, tail, long cape, three toes. Of course, if he appeared exactly this way, there would be jarring clipping issues with his tail going through the cape, like with Tanooki Marth, but I can endure it.

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Pff. FOUR stages are scrolling stages!!! Three of them are Mario ones >.>

In fact, the only stages I like (and my tastes aren't based on competitive viability either, just personal preference) are Arena Ferox, Gerudo Valley, Prism Tower, and (OMEGA) Find Mii, this one specifically in Omega form because regular form is balls because MOST OF THE STAGE CAN DISAPPEAR...and Dark Lord. **** that stage. I just play on it in Omega because it's the closest thing we'll get to Bowser's Castle.

Also, I'm dropping Pikachu as a main/secondary. After a series of being man handled I decided Pikachu isn't for me, even if that was my only character in Mario 64 (back before online was a thing and I had no one to play with). I think Robin might be considered my secondary now, considering he was a tertiary before but I think it's time for a promotion.

Anyways, @PushDustIn I have a question, will you be counting Kaptain K. Rool votes (or any variation of Rool that isn't the King) as the same character as King K. Rool, due to his other costumes potentially being alts?
Uh... Mario 64? If pikachu was in that game, I'd find every star twice just to play as him.

I made a thing. I'm terrible.

My new background picture.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's been talked about a dozen times in this thread already, but I wanted to poll you fellows over which aspects of K. Rool's designs you prefer.

* Big crown or little?
* Tail or no tail?
* Three toes or four?

My personal preferences are big crown (especially if he's going to throw it), fleshy belly, tail, long cape, three toes. Of course, if he appeared exactly this way, there would be jarring clipping issues with his tail going through the cape, like with Tanooki Marth, but I can endure it.
big krown
gold belly
tail
long cape
4 toes

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

* Big crown or little?
* Tail or no tail?
* Three toes or four?

Big crown
Gold-plated
Tail
Long cape
Don't care

does rare k rool ever make facial expressions like angry,happy etc or does he just have his eyes wide open all the time always staring?

what is your reaction if sakurai said he didnt add k rool because he doesnt make any facial expressions?

like imagine the mii costume of k rool...its his classic design with the eyes always wide open/buldging,i have a hard time imagining him blinking/closing his eyes in a 3d game like smash...well atleast with the rare design,his paon design does not have this problem but i like the rare design more than the paon

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
does rare k rool ever make facial expressions like angry,happy etc or does he just have his eyes wide open all the time always staring?

what is your reaction if sakurai said he didnt add k rool because he doesnt make any facial expressions?

like imagine the mii costume of k rool...its his classic design with the eyes always wide open/buldging,i have a hard time imagining him blinking/closing his eyes in a 3d game like smash
He does do different facial expressions. Notably Kaptain and Baron.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Ooh, fun! :grin:

* Big crown or little?
Big.

No preference, oddly enough.

* Tail or no tail?
Tail! He has no reason not to have one, unless they gave a good reason as to how he lost it, and even then I'd prefer that he didn't lose it. :p

Long - it looks more regal. The short one just looks a bit ridiculous. :laugh:

* Three toes or four?
Three. I absolutely hated it when they gave Diddy Kong extra digits on his hands and feet to try to differentiate him from Rare's original work, and I don't like it with anyone else, either.

I would also like to note that I prefer Paon's design for his legs. They always looked rather strange in the Rare design. The Mii costume actually addresses this, however, so I assume that, if K.Rool is on his way to Smash 3DS/Wii U, this will be reflected in his design there.

like imagine the mii costume of k rool...its his classic design with the eyes always wide open/buldging,i have a hard time imagining him blinking/closing his eyes in a 3d game like smash
He showed plenty of expression back in the original DKC trilogy, particularly in the second game. Given the level of research that Sakurai puts into things, I find it impossible to imagine that he would miss this.

The furious look on K. Rool's face when he makes his entrance at the end of the game, dripping wet and covered in seaweed, followed immediately by the look of surprise as he fires fish out of his blunderbuss, is still priceless today.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord

* Big crown or little?
* Tail or no tail?
* Three toes or four?

*Big Crown
*Fleshy belly
*No tail
*Long cape
*don't care

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I know you're probably just looking for the worst possible outcomes so you can prepare for the worst or whatever, but do you really have THAT little faith in Sakurai? Seriously, I don't think he would sit down and think of every single possible reason that x character won't get in the game. Besides, Ness, Duck Hunt, heck, even Bowser, they don't ever feature a ton of expression, yet they worked out just fine. He does have a certain amount of leeway when it comes to things this minor.
Inb4 Ridley

Even if K. Rool doesn't get in, I kind of doubt Sakurai will make a statement about why he didn't choose him. I would think he would be would be content to just say "Thank you for voting, enjoy playing Smash Bros" when all is said and done, rather then go through a list of popular characters and explain why they didn't get in.

Inb4 Ridley

Last edited:
I know you're probably just looking for the worst possible outcomes so you can prepare for the worst or whatever, but do you really have THAT little faith in Sakurai? Seriously, I don't think he would sit down and think of every single possible reason that x character won't get in the game. Besides, Ness, Duck Hunt, heck, even Bowser, they don't ever feature a ton of expression, yet they worked out just fine. He does have a certain amount of leeway when it comes to things this minor.
Inb4 Ridley

Even if K. Rool doesn't get in, I kind of doubt Sakurai will make a statement about why he didn't choose him. I would think he would be would be content to just say "Thank you for voting, enjoy playing Smash Bros" when all is said and done, rather then go through a list of popular characters and explain why they didn't get in.
i know sakurai wouldnt do that and i do have alot of Faith in him(its in my name :) ) im just asking people how they would react,not trying to lower peoples hopes or anything just trying to make some discussion.

sakurai knows what hes doing, and if you ask me sakurai is on our side because he actually acknowleges that the kremlings exist and that they belong with donkey kong

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My preferred K. Rool design is
  • Big Krown
  • Golden Belly
  • Tail
  • Long Cape
  • Don't care about his toes
That said, I do prefer the build of the PAON design. A PAON design with the ones above is what I'd like to see.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
When you consider that it has purposes beyond Smash, then yes - they'd want a decent length of time to gather data.
The last month and a half-ish will have almost no effect. (With the exception of Shovel Knight because he was brought to so many players attention)

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The last month and a half-ish will have almost no effect. (With the exception of Shovel Knight because he was brought to so many players attention)
Indeed, it will have almost no effect on Smash-related things. There is other data that they're asking for (which differs by region) and that users can offer, which is of value to them, and which is unaffected by things relating to the amount of votes for particular characters. ;)

anybody know what happened to that guy who made a bunch of very good k rool fanart? the guy who made the "gators gonna gate" gif?

did he leave? (i was gone for about 3 months due to something)
just wondering hows hes doing

also here are some ideas for dkc returns 3.

idea 1: king k rool finds a way to clone himself,every k rool persona in 1 game vs the kongs,or say some of the k rool clones betray the others because each clone wants to "rool" the other and some of them join dk.

idea 2: k rool finds a way to make a time machine and goes back in time to help himself

idea 3: k rool and the snowmads both arrive at dk island wanting to take it over and end up fighting each other and/or teaming up to take over dk island

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

* Big crown or little?
* Tail or no tail?
* Three toes or four?

*Big
*Gold Plated
*Tail
*Long
*Three
Ok, I don't know much about taking assets of one game into another and making changes to it, or whatever. I do know however that Heihachi's Mii clothing textures are not from any game he appeared in, so where did those textures come from?
That might have been from a model they created for Heihachi. He WAS considered for Smash at one point.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

* Big crown or little?
* Tail or no tail?
* Three toes or four?

*Big crown
*Gold plated belly
*Tail
*Long cape
*Don't care
*Lighter green skin
*Blue gem

The last two are other ones I added.

* Big crown or little?
* Tail or no tail?
* Three toes or four?

- Big
- Gold
- Tail
- Long
- 3 1/2 Don't care

just realised that this month is the last month till the ballot ends.
come on kutthroats its not over yet,1 month to go....and 1 final push for k rool,this is most likely going to be the hardest part of the ballots run.

make this a reality and Krocthevote
repost the smash ballot link everywhere and get in votes from anybody that might of missed it,even if the votes of this last month dont change anything its still worth a shot.

this picture is exactly how i would like k rool to look in smash.

still having a hard time imagining him blink with those eyes but who cares,he dont need to blink...let him stare into the souls of his enemies,i bet he wins alot of stare contests.

and remember even if we lose the battle and k rool does not make it into smash,dont get sad because if you take a moment to look around you would realise that we have accomplished so many things along the way.

k rool got trademarked
k rool is now a retro character like duck hunt and game and watch
k rool got a mii costume
k rool won almost every poll that was thrown at him,if he wasnt number 1 he was in the top 5 always.
k rool's name is on more lips that ever before,once forsaken now he is well known
k rool got smashified
big names like retro studios followed us on twitter
k rools creators support us
all of k rool's games that feature him as the main villian are now on the eshop,and the descriptions always mention his name specifically.

and i believe that he is coming back to dkc and its all thanks to you guys. so the battle could be lost(which we dont know yet) but the war is already won...k rool is alive again.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
just realised that this month is the last month till the ballot ends.
come on kutthroats its not over yet,1 month to go....and 1 final push for k rool,this is most likely going to be the hardest part of the ballots run.

make this a reality and Krocthevote
repost the smash ballot link everywhere and get in votes from anybody that might of missed it,even if the votes of this last month dont change anything its still worth a shot.

this picture is exactly how i would like k rool to look in smash.

still having a hard time imagining him blink with those eyes but who cares,he dont need to blink...let him stare into the souls of his enemies,i bet he wins alot of stare contests.

and remember even if we lose the battle and k rool does not make it into smash,dont get sad because if you take a moment to look around you would realise that we have accomplished so many things along the way.

k rool got trademarked
k rool is now a retro character like duck hunt and game and watch
k rool got a mii costume
k rool won almost every poll that was thrown at him
k rool's name is on more lips that ever before,once forsaken now he is well known
k rool got smashified
big names like retro studios followed us on twitter
k rools creator supports us

and i believe that he is coming back to dkc. so the battle could be lost(which we dont know yet) but the war is already won...k rool is alive again.
That image is fantastic! :b: Where did you find it?

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
That image is fantastic! :b: Where did you find it?

If I remember correctly, one of our fellow Kutthroats here on Smashboards created it (I'm afraid I can't exactly remember his name, however. His avatar was of Ryu, with some Mega Man elements in it).

EDIT: His name is CyberWolf. He did a great job on it. :3

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Alright, sent in my final vote...
"K. Rool is the main antagonist of the Donkey Kong Country series, and is to DK what Bowser is to Mario. Not only that, but he has a lot of moveset potential to draw from the boss battles of DKC1-3, and DK64. His blunderbuss especially would be a unique weapon for him to use, as it can spew status affecting gases, and cannonballs that do all kinds of weird things. So please, konsider this wonderful kosplaying kroc."
Not much, I know, but it's what I could think of, and honestly, I think it goes along Sakurai's vision of unique.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
i know sakurai wouldnt do that and i do have alot of Faith in him(its in my name :) ) im just asking people how they would react,not trying to lower peoples hopes or anything just trying to make some discussion.

sakurai knows what hes doing, and if you ask me sakurai is on our side because he actually acknowleges that the kremlings exist and that they belong with donkey kong
Yeah, don't worry, I wasn't trying to point you out in particular, I was saying this more just in general.

What I really meant was, I always find it rather annoying when people try to make Sakurai out to be the villain, thinking that he's just sitting at his desk, thinking up ways to make his fanbase arngry. I don't think he is trying to make Smash fans upset with his choices, and while his reasons sometimes seem... a bit out there, let's say, but most of the time, they at least make sense and seem like respectable decisions when you think about them Inb4Ridley. I don't think he would bar K. Rool from getting in because "He isn't very expressive", or "He isn't an attractive character".

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Alright, sent in my final vote...
"K. Rool is the main antagonist of the Donkey Kong Country series, and is to DK what Bowser is to Mario. Not only that, but he has a lot of moveset potential to draw from the boss battles of DKC1-3, and DK64. His blunderbuss especially would be a unique weapon for him to use, as it can spew status affecting gases, and cannonballs that do all kinds of weird things. So please, konsider this wonderful kosplaying kroc."
Not much, I know, but it's what I could think of, and honestly, I think it goes along Sakurai's vision of unique.
I sort of wish that I ended all of my votes with your last sentence.

"So please, konsider this wonderful kosplaying kroc."

I would probably replace "wonderful" with "krazy" but whatever. It is a good line.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
IS THIS CRAP REALLY AN ARUGMENT/REASON/EXCUSE THAT PEOPLE SAY?

WHAT?

I.......i just can't believe this stuff...
According to legend, ugliness and, I believe, nakedness, have both been given as "reasons" at times.

It's straw-grasping taken to ridiculous extremes. :laugh:

Top Bottom