• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This leak with Miahstorm...
it got me thinking on the Rayman bit.
There is a rumor going that Sakurai said he had time to include Lucina because he cut another character.
Is it possible that, if Rayman was cut because of how Ubisoft treated Nintendo, this is the reason that Rayman's trophy was shown on the day of Lucina's reveal? Was Rayman cut and thusly Lucina added?
I've posted before about the poor marketing choice it was for Rayman's trophy to be shown before release, unless he is a character. Perhaps I will post on it again.

@ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon I know you posted a long time ago, but thanks for the funny scenario. Also, thanks for teaching me that, if King K. Rool appears in SSB4, it could be considered his re-debut. It could be like a return to the spotlight. He still has a chance to become the villain of DKCR3, though!
This man is an amazing man; and I'm pretty bummed more people didn't actually like my K Rool video idea posted before :(

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
accidental over-post, thanks SB for glitching out on me.. :/

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This leak with Miahstorm...
it got me thinking on the Rayman bit.
There is a rumor going that Sakurai said he had time to include Lucina because he cut another character.
Is it possible that, if Rayman was cut because of how Ubisoft treated Nintendo, this is the reason that Rayman's trophy was shown on the day of Lucina's reveal? Was Rayman cut and thusly Lucina added?
I've posted before about the poor marketing choice it was for Rayman's trophy to be shown before release, unless he is a character. Perhaps I will post on it again.

This man is an amazing man; and I'm pretty bummed more people didn't actually like my K Rool video idea posted before :(
The rumor that Lucina replaced a cut character is false, it was only a theory someone made. She's an addition. Also, Sakurai said that Ubisoft sent them a 3D model of Rayman when they were supposed to send only a concept art.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Man; I wish I could find tickets for Comic con. I just got the all clear to go with a friend- if anyone happens to know anywhere online where they are sold in any capacity, I'd obviously be covering SSB above all else.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Anyone who does get the chance to go, be sure to keep your eyes out for both Chunky and for "Large Kremling" in Smash Run.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Anyone who does get the chance to go, be sure to keep your eyes out for both Chunky and for "Large Kremling" in Smash Run.
Out of curiosity, in the event that both those rumors are true (in other words, Chunky Kong is an Assist and a large Kremling that isn't K. Rool is a Smash Run boss), how likely would K. Rool be at that point? I imagine that the confirmations of such rumors would be quite beneficial to the King's chances.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Out of curiosity, in the event that both those rumors are true (in other words, Chunky Kong is an Assist and a large Kremling that isn't K. Rool is a Smash Run boss), how likely would K. Rool be at that point? I imagine that the confirmations of such rumors would be quite beneficial to the King's chances.
Hard to say. While Kritters appearing, DK's new chant being the DK rap, Klubba/Krusha/whoever as an enemy, and a Chunky AT all look great on paper for K. Rool, he could still get the short end of the stick for some arbitrary reason.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but you never know.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd say if they're all true K. Rool is all but guaranteed. Kremlings ALONE are a significant boon towards K. Rool, but if we've got yet more Kremlings being represented, that's even a greater plus.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
There's very little that could practically guarantee K. Rool is playable, but a Chunky Assist and a Kremling boss will definitely boost his chances considerably.

A lot of older DK content in general would definitely help the King as well, except for maybe a Gangplank Galleon stage, among other things that might point to him being a boss (though as I've said many times in the past I still doubt K. Rool would even be considered as a boss in this game for a number of reasons)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
*SEEKING TICKETS VEHEMENTLY*
*REMEMBERS BIG BANG THEORY EPISODE WHERE IT SEEMED TO SELL OUT IN MOMENTS*
*DISCOURAGED*

Sagashi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sagashi
actually, the Smash stuff is at a hotel and not actually Comic-con itself if I remember correctly. Would still be neat to go, though.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
actually, the Smash stuff is at a hotel and not actually Comic-con itself if I remember correctly. Would still be neat to go, though.
Wel, I may be buying tickets to partake in all of this. I will be researching more in the morning, but I am planning the trip if it is possible, and sm4sh is my number one mission.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There's very little that could practically guarantee K. Rool is playable, but a Chunky Assist and a Kremling boss will definitely boost his chances considerably.

A lot of older DK content in general would definitely help the King as well, except for maybe a Gangplank Galleon stage, among other things that might point to him being a boss (though as I've said many times in the past I still doubt K. Rool would even be considered as a boss in this game for a number of reasons)
If Gangplank Galleon gets in, I'll take it as proof K. Rool is playable. That said, if K. Rool IS playable I think Gangplank Galleon will be in his announcement trailer.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
If Gangplank Galleon gets in, I'll take it as proof K. Rool is playable. That said, if K. Rool IS playable I think Gangplank Galleon will be in his announcement trailer.
I'm actually hoping we do not see a Gangplank Galleon stage prior to a K. Rool reveal. If Ridley's fate is anything to go by, we could end up with pinata K. Rool.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of a Gangplank Galleon stage, I could take it as either way if K Rool is playable or not if that happened. It's how I thought of Ridley and Pyrosphere until Sakurai showed footage of Ridley.

Plus, we know there are still probably a lot of stages left to be revealed. We just got the new Star Fox stage on the R-Wing (I think that's how you spell it) and confirmation of Wily's Castle stage on 3ds (and the Boxing Ring but we already new that).

Edit:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
DK's new chant being the DK rap,
Thing is a thing?

This sounds like a glorious thing!

Do you have a glorious video for this glorious thing?

I want to hear this glorious thing with my not yet glorious ears.

Korporal K. Reep

Smash Apprentice
Thing is a thing?

This sounds like a glorious thing!

Do you have a glorious video for this glorious thing?

I want to hear this glorious thing with my not yet glorious ears.
DK! DONKEY KONG!
It starts around the 1:20 mark.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm actually hoping we do not see a Gangplank Galleon stage prior to a K. Rool reveal. If Ridley's fate is anything to go by, we could end up with pinata K. Rool.
If Ridley's fate is anything to go by, K. Rool would be confirmed playable in my eyes. :p

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
If Ridley's fate is anything to go by, K. Rool would be confirmed playable in my eyes. :p
I would love for Ridley to be playable, and I've read all the evidence that suggests he is, but I don't see it. I get the feeling that the implication he'd be a punching bag in the Direct was meant to be taken as a disconfirmation. Then there's the whole 'enemy from Samus' past' comment directly correlating with the Pyrosphere.

I truly hope that I'm wrong. I really do. I don't want to see such a deserving character get snubbed AGAIN.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I would love for Ridley to be playable, and I've read all the evidence that suggests he is, but I don't see it. I get the feeling that the implication he'd be a punching bag in the Direct was meant to be taken as a disconfirmation. Then there's the whole 'enemy from Samus' past' comment directly correlating with the Pyrosphere.

I truly hope that I'm wrong. I really do. I don't want to see such a deserving character get snubbed AGAIN.
Nope, Sakurai would never do that. When Sakurai disconfirms, he flat out says it. Which leads me to also believe that King K Rool will not be a Smash Run boss. Again, straight up disconfirmation

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Nope, Sakurai would never do that. When Sakurai disconfirms, he flat out says it. Which leads me to also believe that King K Rool will not be a Smash Run boss. Again, straight up disconfirmation
Keep in mind that it wasn't Sakurai who said anything about a Smash Run boss.

Also, I found a great resource. For anyone getting into debates over which Nintendo series has more sales, Kirby or DK, use this reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

DK has around 54 million sales, Kirby around 33 million. DK IS Nintendo's 5th best-selling franchise, not that any of US needed to know that, but many Kirby fans seem to think Kirby is instead. (For reference, the "Wii" series beat out the Zelda series for sales, hence why DK is now the 5th best-selling.)

edsett

Smash Apprentice
I haven't seen any Kirby fan on here claim Kirby is bigger than DK. Plus DK has been around longer than Kirby.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I haven't seen any Kirby fan on here claim Kirby is bigger than DK. Plus DK has been around longer than Kirby.
I have. People talking about Bandana Dee and such often bring up how Kirby is the fourth best-selling Nintendo franchise, mostly on the Official Character Discussion Thread. DK has been around longer than Kirby, but technically, the DK franchise didn't really hit it off until DKC, which was a while after Kirby.

edsett

Smash Apprentice
Well that's incorrect. Unless they're confused with Kirby being one of the "Big 4" in Smash itself which is probably only because HAL made Kirby and Smash.
Eh, the very first DK game was a huge hit and established both Mario and DK which gave them a foundation to build off in future games even when they split the franchises. DKC likely wasn't the first time people have ever heard about DK.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well that's incorrect. Unless they're confused with Kirby being one of the "Big 4" in Smash itself which is probably only because HAL made Kirby and Smash.
Eh, the very first DK game was a huge hit and established both Mario and DK which gave them a foundation to build off in future games even when they split the franchises. DKC likely wasn't the first time people have ever heard about DK.
DKC was the start of Donkey Kong's adventures as a hero, though... that's the difference. I consider DKC to truly be the start of the DK franchise, even if DK himself appeared as the villain of the original game.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
"I saw this one guy on GameFAQs" who tried arguing that Kirby was the bigger franchise because it had "high-selling original games" on both consoles and handhelds, whereas DK's success came primarily from consoles. Nevermind the most successful DK games dwarfing Kirby games in sales by comparison.

If Sakurai had actually portrayed DK as one of Nintendo's four 'main' characters instead of Kirby early on, I doubt there'd be any such misconception.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
"I saw this one guy on GameFAQs" who tried arguing that Kirby was the bigger franchise because it had "high-selling original games" on both consoles and handhelds, whereas DK's success came primarily from consoles. Nevermind the most successful DK games dwarfing Kirby games in sales by comparison.

If Sakurai had actually portrayed DK as one of Nintendo's four 'main' characters instead of Kirby early on, I doubt there'd be any such misconception.
Well... DK was a central character in the original game as well... The misconception is quite annoying...

Either way, the link I found can help out in these circumstances. Kirby is right behind DK in Nintendo, but its still got a good 20m to go to catch up.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

It is so difficult for me to read your posts- or rather, very fitting- without thinking of a grumpy cat, given your avatar. That expression on Megamans face certainly permeates the tone in which I read all of your posts.

That said, I absolutely think that Mewtwo, Ridley, and K Rool have all been so heavily trolled and teased, that if they are not actually playable, the must be included in another way, which is in Sakurai's mind, satisfying enough. After seeing the fan service he has done, I do not believe he thinks a boss would be fan service- I believe he may think a controllable boss is fan service, but I do not think he feel a regular boss is that.

So while I am skeptical to a slight extent about full playability, I am sure they have either full playable status, or something extremely unique, going or them, because he knows how to not disappoint.

Korporal K. Reep

Smash Apprentice
Look guys, hidden footage unearthed from Mario Kart: Double Dash!
[collapse=Feat. K. Rool and Junior]
[/collapse]

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I dunno, I'm not fully sure I want Gangplank Galleon anymore, now I'm thinking, maybe the Flying Crock would be a cool stage. Have we ever had a stage from DKC2 or DKC3?

My main problem with the Flying Crock is the fact that its completely flat on the battlefield... but what if the actual stage was on TOP of the Flying Crock instead of inside it?

http://donkeykong.wikia.com/wiki/The_Flying_Krock

I think that'd make a pretty cool-looking stage. :D

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I dunno, I'm not fully sure I want Gangplank Galleon anymore, now I'm thinking, maybe the Flying Crock would be a cool stage. Have we ever had a stage from DKC2 or DKC3?

My main problem with the Flying Crock is the fact that its completely flat on the battlefield... but what if the actual stage was on TOP of the Flying Crock instead of inside it?

http://donkeykong.wikia.com/wiki/The_Flying_Krock

I think that'd make a pretty cool-looking stage. :D
What sort of Hazards (if any) would take place on top of the Flying Krock?

edsett

Smash Apprentice
DKC was the start of Donkey Kong's adventures as a hero, though... that's the difference. I consider DKC to truly be the start of the DK franchise, even if DK himself appeared as the villain of the original game.
In Pac-Man reveal trailer the date for DK wasn't 1994. Even though DKC was the first game when he was the hero - that wasn't the first time he has ever appeared. I get what you're saying though.

That's really silly. Not to mention all those people who feel that DK with the Mario franchise.
But I get understand why he wanted to represent his own franchise in the beginning. I do feel that's the only reason we got Ness in the first place.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In Pac-Man reveal trailer the date for DK wasn't 1994. Even though DKC was the first game when he was the hero - that wasn't the first time he has ever appeared. I get what you're saying though.

That's really silly. Not to mention all those people who feel that DK with the Mario franchise.
But I get understand why he wanted to represent his own franchise in the beginning. I do feel that's the only reason we got Ness in the first place.
I know DK originated much earlier, again, I just say I count DK's TRUE start as DKC, even though he originated in Donkey Kong.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I know DK originated much earlier, again, I just say I count DK's TRUE start as DKC, even though he originated in Donkey Kong.
Technically, the original Donkey Kong from the Arcade game of the same name is Cranky Kong as said by Cranky in Donkey Kong Country.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
While DK himself originated in 1982 (or 1994 if you buy into Nintendo's retcon), all of Cranky's appearances under the moniker 'Donkey Kong' are basically lumped in under DK's own credentials just based on name, as well as a sense of "how dare Rare change the identity of classic DK!"

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Technically, the original Donkey Kong from the Arcade game of the same name is Cranky Kong as said by Cranky in Donkey Kong Country.
I still think that theory was retconned out of existence. That was Rare's idea, and I think Nintendo has basically abandoned it now. Nintendo seems to think that the current Donkey Kong is the original, especially if you look at the whole Pac-Man trailer at the end where it shows DK and Mario.

Top Bottom