• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Burruni

Smash Hero
Speaking of which, I have 3 girls planned (as one of my previous images dictated): Lucina, Rosalina and Palutena.

I've got room for another one at least in the top right. Any suggestions?

Notable (Smash) waifus preferred.

:4jigglypuff:

Don't tell me I'm wrong.

....But more seriously, :4zss:

Furret24

Smash Master
Speaking of which, I have 3 girls planned (as one of my previous images dictated): Lucina, Rosalina and Palutena.

I've got room for another one at least in the top right. Any suggestions?

Notable (Smash) waifus preferred.

:4villagerf:
:4jigglypuff:

Last edited:

KawaiiPiranha

Smash Journeyman
So here's something I always forget to ask-
How do you guys even pronounce King K.Rool?

Is it "King Kay Rule"
or "King Kuh-Rule"?

I've always pronounced it "kay rule" but I've heard it the other way too.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905

Is it "King Kay Rule"
or "King Kuh-Rule"?

"Kuh-Rule" makes more sense because "K.Rool" itself is a pun on "cruel".

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I WANT to agree with this sentiment; however, part of me believes that they do not have to say anything and that if they intended to, they would have. The ballot did not even close on time, I just sort of feel as though it was a big attempt at creating smoke and mirrors, the illusion that we, as fans, were contributing to the future of the game.
That's a concern of mine. I have a krazy konspiracy theory that its just an excuse to get people to stop pestering Sakurai by giving people the ilusion of influence.
I have similar fears. The way I see it, the ballot is like a big test to determine if Sakurai is truly biased or not. If he doesn't add characters like Wolf or Krool, he is 100% biased and will receive proper punishment for such actions. This isn't the base roster, its DLC, and Sakurai can't use the same excuses he used with the base game, aka time restraints. I really do hope we get Wolf and Krool as DLC characters otherwise its game over for Sakurai. I really hope he's not biased against Wolf and Krool.
What ballot conspiracies do you guys have?
I'm just curious as to what you guys make of the other polls before this one - the ones that got us the likes of Ganondorf, Wario, Dedede, and Sonic.

What does this third one being international actually change about the whole thing, really?

The only difference I can see at all, is forms being available in various languages, plus the use of the words "ballot" and "consider" so that they have a nice, polite way of saying "Goku and Shrek don't stand a snowball's chance on Hotbeat!" to folks who don't understand that it's a poll about video game characters (a concept distinct from non-video game characters receiving tie-in video games alongside their other tie-in merchandise like lunchboxes and t-shirts), without actually saying it.

I think everyone's konspiracy theories about the ballot are totally unfounded and ridiculous, just worthless pessimism.
It does feel like worry for the sake of worry, given the fifteen years of precedent from the other polls...

Technically Mr Game & Watch was a fan creation. Ostensibly somebody suggested the Game & Watch man as a character in Melee and Sakurai ran with it.
You know, I always did find it odd how Mr. Game & Watch has very little in common with the characters from the Game & Watch games, who were always notable for being extremely expressive...

Is it "King Kay Rule"
or "King Kuh-Rule"?

"King Kay Rule", here, since that's how such name puns are supposed to be pronounced - like real names.

The "Kuh-Rule" thing was always something that I disliked about the TV show, because nobody pronounces names like that. For the sake of example, we'll use Barney Gumble from The Simpsons; If you were to write it as "B. Gumble", you'd say it as "Bee Gumble", not "Buh Gumble" - the same as for anyone's name. :p

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Agreed with the Kay Rool pronunciation. If it was intended to be pronounced Kuh Rool, they wouldn't have spelled his name with an initial. It would've been "King K'rool" or something like that, instead.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
King "Kay" Rool camp here.

I agree with the above, if it was meant to be "Kuh" Rool I think they would have used an apostrophe instead like K'Rool. The K in King K. Rool is clearly an initial of a name we don't know. I don't know how many Kremlings share that same description, most of them have normal names that start with K. Only K. Rool and K. Lumsy I think have that distinction.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The K in King K. Rool is clearly an initial of a name we don't know. I don't know how many Kremlings share that same description, most of them have normal names that start with K. Only K. Rool and K. Lumsy I think have that distinction.
As far as I know, yeah. As far as Kremling affiliates go, Queen B. is another one. You sure as hell don't pronounce that as "Queen Buh". :laugh:

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
So Skull Kid is playable in Hyrule Warriors.

http://gematsu.com/2015/10/hyrule-warriors-legends-adds-playable-skull-kid

Skull Kid was already a DLC costume for Lana.

I know this isn't Smash, but we now have proof that Nintendo can release costume and full character DLC separately.
Nice find, but I notice that this is about Hyrule Warriors Legends (the revised 3DS port). Does that version retain the costume? If so, that's certainly interesting!

EDIT: Never mind, I forgot that owning both nets you everything! Now that is a turn-up for the books! Brilliant. :grin:

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
"Kay Rool." The cartoon's pronunciation seems to exist mostly to communicate the pun in a non-text medium where the game's pronunciation might be too subtle.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
"Kay Rool." The cartoon's pronunciation seems to exist mostly to communicate the pun in a non-text medium where the game's pronunciation might be too subtle.
I think the strangest thing about it, is that in the series' opening lines, Cranky says it correctly, but after that everyone says "Kuh-rool" forever-after.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
It's fun putting these things in the context of other products. Try it. :laugh:

"If Nintendo add a 1990s neon faceplate to the New 3DS line-up, I won't be buying them any longer."
"If Jelly Belly adds meringue flavour to their jelly bean line-up, I won't be buying it any longer.".
"If Akira Toriyama adds puce-coloured t-shirts to the Dragon Ball Z merchandise line-up, I won't be buying them any longer."
"If Sky TV adds another Disney Movies channel to their line-up, I won't subscribe any longer."

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
King "Kay" Rool camp here.

I agree with the above, if it was meant to be "Kuh" Rool I think they would have used an apostrophe instead like K'Rool. The K in King K. Rool is clearly an initial of a name we don't know. I don't know how many Kremlings share that same description, most of them have normal names that start with K. Only K. Rool and K. Lumsy I think have that distinction.
Huh....? I always assumed his name stood for

King Kremling Rool
As in Leader/Ruler / Rool

I mean...its gotta be? What else can it be...
Is this for real? Wow...

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
For me, it's "King Kay Rool".

The cartoon most often pronounced it "King Kuh Rool", possibly because it rolled off the tongue easier when on the run (which happened a lot on the show, lol). I say this because there are numerous instances where Diddy, Cranky and Candy have pronounced it "King Kay Rool", and other times they went with "King Kuh Rool". Donkey Kong and Dixie however, always seemed to use "King Kuh Rool"... Then there's Funky with his own lingo, lol. I think it's a mix of convenience, the context / pitch it was used with (whether they were pissed at K. Rool at the time) and an accent thing as well, but it has been over a decade (yikes, I feel old!) since I've really sat down and watched the show now, so I may be fuzzy on this, and hence, completely wrong, lol.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Huh....? I always assumed his name stood for

King Kremling Rool
As in Leader/Ruler / Rool

I mean...its gotta be? What else can it be...
Is this for real? Wow...
Yes, it's for real.

As regulars of the Bandana Waddle Dee thread will know, it's a mild pet peeve of mine when game-to-TV adaptations do ridiculous and unnecessary things that create lasting brand-confusion (don't get me started on the Kirby anime, I could go on for ages, as it's a primary example of getting everything wrong; At least the DKC TV series got a whole bunch of things right!). The fact that the DKC TV show used a bizarre pronunciation that missed the joke entirely is still creating confusion all these years on, and we're still discussing it! :laugh:

Clearly it's King Klaude Rool

Or King Kenny Rool
I always liked the idea that it was something really ordinary, in contrast to his otherwise extraordinary nature, like Kenneth or Keith. :laugh:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Yes, it's for real.

As regulars of the Bandana Waddle Dee thread will know, it's a mild pet peeve of mine when game-to-TV adaptations do ridiculous and unnecessary things that create lasting brand-confusion (don't get me started on the Kirby anime, I could go on for ages, as it's a primary example of getting everything wrong; At least the DKC TV series got a whole bunch of things right!). The fact that the DKC TV show used a bizarre pronunciation that missed the joke entirely is still creating confusion all these years on, and we're still discussing it! :laugh:

I always liked the idea that it was something really ordinary, in contrast to his otherwise extraordinary nature, like Kenneth or Keith. :laugh:
Something depressingly ordinary, enough that K. Rool would never to use it.

King. Kyle Rool.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I always rolled with King Kay Rool.

I know the pun and all, but Kay. Rool just sounds much snazzier!

So, we're trying to guess what the "K" in K. Rool's name stands for?

Remember the episode in The Simpsons where Homer tries to figure out what the "J" in his name stands for and it turns out to be Jay?

This might be a similar case. So I'm guessing that King K. Rool's middle name is Kay.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I go for King "Kuh" Rool. Just to make the pun that he's the MOST "CRUEL":p villain in the DK series. Have you all even seen his behavior in the original DKC trilogy?! and don't even get me started on DK64!

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
Nice find, but I notice that this is about Hyrule Warriors Legends (the revised 3DS port). Does that version retain the costume? If so, that's certainly interesting!

EDIT: Never mind, I forgot that owning both nets you everything! Now that is a turn-up for the books! Brilliant. :grin:
Regardless of games, Skull Kid was in a similar situation where he was highly demanded and then many assumed his costume was a deconfirmation. This shows nintendo listened to demands for highly requested characters, even after the release of costumes.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I also always pronounced it "King Kay Rool", i just thought the TV show's website refered to him as "King Kuh Rool", not "King Karro".

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I had a dream where Dixie came first in the ballot, followed by Cranky, followed by K. Rool. They released in a bundle with a stage that had a giant version of the Kremling with the goofy run that would go back in forth in the first snow level in DKC 3 as a stage hazard. I was a little mad when I woke up.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I had a dream where Dixie came first in the ballot, followed by Cranky, followed by K. Rool. They released in a bundle with a stage that had a giant version of the Kremling with the goofy run that would go back in forth in the first snow level in DKC 3 as a stage hazard. I was a little mad when I woke up.
The three best candidates for new DK characters in Smash along with my favorite Kremling minion as a stage hazard?! Yes please!

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Honestly, I always thought it made sense to pronounce it "kah-rule", similarly to "cruel" but not identical. "Kuh-rool" just makes the pun more obvious. And I've never liked "Kay-rool", honestly.

Last edited:

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
I'm drip-feeding my drawings still. What other reason does the thread need?
Now even Bellboy is embracing naked K. Rool.:troll:

Is it "King Kay Rule"
or "King Kuh-Rule"?

"Kay rule", it just rolls off the tongue better.

Yes, it's for real.

...but I like the Kirby anime... even if it doesn't follow the games well, it was pretty enjoyable. But hey, not everyone likes it.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
"Kay rule", it just rolls off the tongue better.
See, that's what I always thought - it always surprised me that a cartoon production company, of all things, didn't get this. :crazy:

...but I like the Kirby anime... even if it doesn't follow the games well, it was pretty enjoyable. But hey, not everyone likes it.
I don't want to go off-topic here, so I'll just link you to my response to a similar statement yesterday, as it applies equally here. ;)

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The three best candidates for new DK characters in Smash along with my favorite Kremling minion as a stage hazard?! Yes please!
If I stare at Skidda for long enough, his sprite looks less like he's sliding and more like he's fabulously walking down the street.

Top Bottom