• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
So after everything that happened yesterday, do you guys think that Ryu Hayabusa still has a shot at joining the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate roster? I think that he is still in the running but I’ve since lowered my expectations on his inclusion, it’s still possible but his chances have definitely lowered since we only have 2 spots left and the timing of this interview isn’t exactly helpful but we’ll see after all Banjo & Kazooie were quote on quote deconfirmed 2 weeks before their inevitable inclusion so who knows, the world works in mysterious ways and even if Hayabusa misses it, we got the next Super Smash Bros. for his arrival anyway. So in the end if Yuri Kozukata is the KOEI TECMO rep then I’m fine with just that of course I’m not gonna stop speculating until it’s all said and done but those are my current thoughts I think he has a shot still but I’m definitely gonna lower my expectations View attachment 308718
As people might know by now, my views hasn't changed one bit. Still think Hayabusa has a good chance of being in. I'm not expecting him but I surely don't think he's unlikely.

Sakurai said how he likes that Smash helps Japanese games become more popular and I can't help but think about how Koei Tecmo is the only major Japanese game company that doesn't have any content that's completely owned by them. For other companies in Smash:

Konami - Metal Gear, Castlevania, Bomberman, Goeman
Sega (Atlus) - Sonic, Bayonetta, Persona, Virtua Fighter
Capcom - Mega Man, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Ghosts 'n Goblins
Bandai Namco - Pac-Man, Tekken, Galaga, The Tower of Druaga
Square-Enix - Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Mana, Octapath Traveler, Bravely Default
SNK - Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, The King of Fighters, Samurai Shodown, Psycho Soldier, Ikari Warriors
Arc System Works - River City Ransom
Grasshopper Manufacture - No More Heroes

Koei Tecmo only has stuff that are connected other series or companies and that looks way too awkward to overlook, even by Nintendo and Sakurai. I just have this feeling that it won't be like this for long.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Sakurai said how he likes that Smash helps Japanese games become more popular and I can't help but think about how Koei Tecmo is the only major Japanese game company that doesn't have any content that's completely owned by them. For other companies in Smash:

Koei Tecmo only has stuff that are connected other series or companies and that looks way too awkward to overlook, even by Nintendo and Sakurai. I just have this feeling that it won't be like this for long.
Smash is a series able to let friends (ex 2sd-party) die like Professor Layton and stay on the sidelines like Ace Attorney.
Bandai, FromSoftware, Irem, Marvelous, Nihon Falcom, Taito, Team Ico... aren't in the spotlight either.
The companies chosen in Ultimate are either in line with Famitsu trends or have opened up new horizons (Microsoft and SNK).

Below, examples of trends according to Famitsu readers.
Top by Famitsu readers
/ number of times the companies appear

Top 10 by consoles, 2016*
Nintendo 63 ·
Square Enix 42 · Sega 29 · Capcom 19 · Bandai Namco 12 · Konami 11 · Atlus 10 · Sony 8 · Microsoft 7 · Nihon Falcom 4 · Koei Tecmo 3 (Dead or Alive 3, DoA Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Ninja Gaiden)
Top 100 of all time, 2017*

Square Enix 29 · Sega 18 · Nintendo 14 · Atlus 6 · Konami 7 · Spike Chunsoft 7 · Capcom 3 · FromSoftware 2 · Team Ico 2
Various top 20 by genres (Action-Adventure° + Action° + Fighting ° + Racing
° + RPG° + Shooters° + Simulation°), 2017
Nintendo 24 ·
Square Enix 20 · Capcom 17 · Sega 16 · Sony 10 · Konami 8 · Bandai Namco 5 · Arc System Works 3 · Atlus 3 · Koei Tecmo 3 (Dead or Alive 5, Nobunaga's Ambition, RotTK XIII) · FromSoftware 2 · SNK 2
Top 20 of all time by non-japanese readers, 2017*

Square Enix 4 · Atlus 3 · Capcom 3 · Konami 3 · Nintendo 3 · FromSoftware 2 · Koei Tecmo 1 (Nioh) · Sega 1
Top 20 of Heisei Era, 2019*

Square Enix 10 · Nintendo 7 · Capcom 2 · Konami 2

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
So after everything that happened yesterday, do you guys think that Ryu Hayabusa still has a shot at joining the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate roster? I think that he is still in the running but I’ve since lowered my expectations on his inclusion, it’s still possible but his chances have definitely lowered since we only have 2 spots left and the timing of this interview isn’t exactly helpful but we’ll see after all Banjo & Kazooie were quote on quote deconfirmed 2 weeks before their inevitable inclusion so who knows, the world works in mysterious ways and even if Hayabusa misses it, we got the next Super Smash Bros. for his arrival anyway. So in the end if Yuri Kozukata is the KOEI TECMO rep then I’m fine with just that of course I’m not gonna stop speculating until it’s all said and done but those are my current thoughts I think he has a shot still but I’m definitely gonna lower my expectations View attachment 308718
After some more pondering on Fumihiko Yasuda's response, I'm of the opinion that he just isn't in-the-know for Ryu Hayabusa's inclusion if it is true. I just don't like his response and how genuine and joking it sounds so I'm willing to bet he just isn't under NDA so his response came out sounding true and such.

I do agree that a scarce few people at Koei Tecmo would actually know about Ryu's inclusion and Yasuda probably isn't one of them since he isn't even the head/president of Team Ninja, that would be Yosuke Hayashi. Yasuda just produced and directed the Nioh series and does all the PR stuff for the Ninja Gaiden series because he co-directed Ninja Gaiden 3 and Razor's Edge but that was practically a decade ago. Hayashi though actually worked more closely and recently with Nintendo and produced Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, and HW: Age of Calamity so IMO his response is more valuable.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Lol just for fun, I thought I’d post this here,
It seems Nintendo was the one who wanted Ayane to appear in FATAL FRAME: MAIDEN OF THE BLACKWATER as a way to further highlight their partnership with KOEI TECMO GAMES. I find it interesting that Nintendo wanted this to happen and I thought it was cool when I found out the first time I was playing it, I was like “wow Ayane is in this, really?” This is just a fun thing I thought I’d share, it seriously still surprises me that KOEI TECMO doesn’t have a playable character in Super Smash Bros. yet 😅
28272222-08ED-496A-8513-D3E629198CA5.jpeg

Smash is a series able to let friends (ex 2sd-party) die like Professor Layton and stay on the sidelines like Ace Attorney.
Bandai, FromSoftware, Irem, Marvelous, Nihon Falcom, Taito, Team Ico... aren't in the spotlight either.
The companies chosen in Ultimate are either in line with Famitsu trends or have opened up new horizons (Microsoft and SNK).

Below, examples of trends according to Famitsu readers.
Top by Famitsu readers
/ number of times the companies appear

Top 10 by consoles, 2016*
Nintendo 63 · Square Enix 42 · Sega 29 · Capcom 19 · Bandai Namco 12 · Konami 11 · Atlus 10 · Sony 8 · Microsoft 7 · Nihon Falcom 4 · Koei Tecmo 3 (Dead or Alive 3, DoA Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Ninja Gaiden)
Top 100 of all time, 2017*
Square Enix 29 · Sega 18 · Nintendo 14 · Atlus 6 · Konami 7 · Spike Chunsoft 7 · Capcom 3 · FromSoftware 2 · Team Ico 2
Various top 20 by genres (Action-Adventure° + Action° + Fighting ° + Racing° + RPG° + Shooters° + Simulation°), 2017
Nintendo 24 · Square Enix 20 · Capcom 17 · Sega 16 · Sony 10 · Konami 8 · Bandai Namco 5 · Arc System Works 3 · Atlus 3 · Koei Tecmo 3 (Dead or Alive 5, Nobunaga's Ambition, RotTK XIII) · FromSoftware 2 · SNK 2
Top 20 of all time by non-japanese readers, 2017*
Square Enix 4 · Atlus 3 · Capcom 3 · Konami 3 · Nintendo 3 · FromSoftware 2 · Koei Tecmo 1 (Nioh) · Sega 1
Top 20 of Heisei Era, 2019*
Square Enix 10 · Nintendo 7 · Capcom 2 · Konami 2
OHHHH that’s interesting 🤔 I really like this theory!

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Lol just for fun, I thought I’d post this here,
It seems Nintendo was the one who wanted Ayane to appear in FATAL FRAME: MAIDEN OF THE BLACKWATER as a way to further highlight their partnership with KOEI TECMO GAMES. I find it interesting that Nintendo wanted this to happen and I thought it was cool when I found out the first time I was playing it, I was like “wow Ayane is in this, really?” This is just a fun thing I thought I’d share, it seriously still surprises me that KOEI TECMO doesn’t have a playable character in Super Smash Bros. yet 😅View attachment 308771

OHHHH that’s interesting 🤔 I really like this theory!
Shoot, in that case, it makes no sense for them to not do the same thing for Hayabusa in Smash.

And yeah, that is an interesting theory. Something to think about.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
So this is kinda weird. Team Ninja actually retweeted an article about waiting on Ryu’s invitation. Like the interview itself, this probably doesn’t mean much (odds are that whoever is running the twitter account doesn’t have a clue about what’s going on).

What I find kind of funny is that if you read the actual article, it mostly just discusses how cool it would be to have Hayabusa in Smash, rather than discussing Yasuda’s quote. Also, it’s interesting that they would share an article speculating about Hayabusa’s chances if they truly wanted us to believe that they never got an invitation. If they wanted us to temper our expectations of Ryu, then why would they share an article talking about how he might be in Fighters Pass 2?

Again, this probably doesn’t mean much, but I felt it was worth pointing out.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
So this is kinda weird. Team Ninja actually retweeted an article about waiting on Ryu’s invitation. Like the interview itself, this probably doesn’t mean much (odds are that whoever is running the twitter account doesn’t have a clue about what’s going on).

What I find kind of funny is that if you read the actual article, it mostly just discusses how cool it would be to have Hayabusa in Smash, rather than discussing Yasuda’s quote. Also, it’s interesting that they would share an article speculating about Hayabusa’s chances if they truly wanted us to believe that they never got an invitation. If they wanted us to temper our expectations of Ryu, then why would they share an article talking about how he might be in Fighters Pass 2?

Again, this probably doesn’t mean much, but I felt it was worth pointing out.
Uhhh, isn’t it a bad thing Team NINJA would retweet that though? I feel like that in order to maintain NDA, they probably wouldn’t retweet the article in question

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Uhhh, isn’t it a bad thing Team NINJA would retweet that though? I feel like that in order to maintain NDA, they probably wouldn’t retweet the article in question
It might be. I’m not really sure exactly what to make of it. I feel like the article doesn’t say anything that would blatantly break NDA, but it’s always hard to determine that sort of stuff. I still think it’s likely that the person running the account just doesn’t know anything.

It’s just such a strange thing to retweet.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Actually this is a good thing this could prove that Team NINJA themselves have no idea about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate info and only the heads at KOEI TECMO do as when they retweeted the Hyrule Warriors Spirit Event that event only had KOEI TECMO GAMES listed in the copyright © not Team NINJA even though they are the developers of the game. This would also be indicated by KOEI TECMO’s Twitter account retweeting Byleth’s reveal when they did, so I think it’s safe to say that almost NO ONE at Team NINJA knows anything about Smash content at all, the exception would probably be Yosuke Hayashi of Team NINJA as he is the president of that division and would probably know about that, but ANYTHING Smash related that involves KOEI TECMO most likely is done through the heads of the company not any subdivisions like GUST or Team NINJA. It’s similar to how Rare LTD isn’t really credited on Banjo & Kazooie’s inclusion in Smash but instead Microsoft is credited due to Rare LTD being a subdivision of Microsoft

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Actually this is a good thing this could prove that Team NINJA themselves have no idea about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate info and only the heads at KOEI TECMO do as when they retweeted the Hyrule Warriors Spirit Event that event only had KOEI TECMO GAMES listed in the copyright © not Team NINJA even though they are the developers of the game. This would also be indicated by KOEI TECMO’s Twitter account retweeting Byleth’s reveal when they did, so I think it’s safe to say that almost NO ONE at Team NINJA knows anything about Smash content at all, the exception would probably be Yosuke Hayashi of Team NINJA as he is the president of that division and would probably know about that, but ANYTHING Smash related that involves KOEI TECMO most likely is done through the heads of the company not any subdivisions like GUST or Team NINJA
Omega Force developed Age of Calamity and Persona 5 Strikers. Omega Force wasn't credited in either Spirits' case. Since Team Ninja is 100% owned by Koei Tecmo, I'd expect KT's name to be used in Smash Ultimate's copyright.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Omega Force developed Age of Calamity and Persona 5 Strikers. Omega Force wasn't credited in either Spirits' case. Since Team Ninja is 100% owned by Koei Tecmo, I'd expect KT's name to be used in Smash Ultimate's copyright.
Wait are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me???

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Wait are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me???
I am correcting your "Team Ninja developed Age of Calamity" mistake. Also just saying that Koei Tecmo would likely be credited for anything they own. Unless you can find a Team Ninja copyright in any game they developed post-Tecmo and Koei merger, Koei Tecmo was always the one copyrighted.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I am correcting your "Team Ninja developed Age of Calamity" mistake. Also just saying that Koei Tecmo would likely be credited for anything they own. Unless you can find a Team Ninja copyright in any game they developed post-Tecmo and Koei merger, Koei Tecmo was always the one copyrighted.
Oh yeah that’s true, the Original NINJA GAIDEN on NES was trademarked under TECMO Co. LTD

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Oh yeah that’s true, the Original NINJA GAIDEN on NES was trademarked under TECMO Co. LTD
That's because Tecmo was not merged with Koei until 2009. And Team Ninja was founded in 1995 after all the classic Ninja Gaiden games so understandably they aren't the original Ninja Gaiden devs.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
That's because Tecmo was not merged with Koei until 2009. And Team Ninja was founded in 1995 after all the classic Ninja Gaiden games so understandably they aren't the original Ninja Gaiden devs.
Oh yeah I know but what I’m saying is that it makes sense to you © KOEI TECMO GAMES instead of Team NINJA as the copyright for Smash

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Oh yeah I know but what I’m saying is that it makes sense to you © KOEI TECMO GAMES instead of Team NINJA as the copyright for Smash
Thanks. As I was researching copyrights more though, I discovered on Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection's page for Nintendo Switch, it has ©2021 KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD. & Team NINJA. so there is a possibility that Team Ninja would also be credited for Ryu Hayabusa or anything Ninja Gaiden-related in Smash.

On another note, I really hate that Team Ninja's official Twitter account retweeted that NintendoLife tweet as if they really don't know anything at all and are just trying to ride the hype of people wanting Ryu in Smash. It really sucks to think that if they were under NDA, they really should not be bringing any attention to it.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
On another note, I really hate that Team Ninja's official Twitter account retweeted that NintendoLife tweet as if they really don't know anything at all and are just trying to ride the hype of people wanting Ryu in Smash. It really sucks to think that if they were under NDA, they really should not be bringing any attention to it.
Yeah, that makes me more concerned ngl...

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I can’t believe that a retweet is racking my brain this hard, but I honestly have a difficult time knowing what to make of this.

If Hayabusa was really on his way to Ultimate, then sharing an article like this definitely seems like it could be breaking a non-disclosure agreement. Most developers don’t seem to like Smash related questions like this as it always puts them at risk of breaking their NDA. That’s why most developers give a vague answer as a way to dodge the question. So why would Team Ninja draw attention to a question that they would generally want to avoid? You’d think that a company that works so well with Nintendo would try their best as to not spoil anything related to their games.

On the other hand, if Hayabusa wasn’t coming to Smash, then why on Earth would Team Ninja share an article speculating about his chances? The person writing the article certainly seemed excited about Ryu’s potential inclusion, so why would they share something like that if not to drum up hype? It’d be a real let down if Team Ninja teased something like this, only for it to lead to nothing. Surely they would have thought about that.

Then of course, there’s the possibility that the person running the twitter account had no clue what was happening and simply shared the article without much thought. This seems to be the most likely. But I’ve been following this account pretty closely, and sharing something like that definitely seems out of character. I don’t get the impression that they would impulsively share a potentially NDA breaking article. I feel like whoever is running the account would be a bit more calculated in their decisions.

Anyway, I’m honestly just thinking out loud. This kind of behavior is really interesting to me. Yasuda’s interview response is one thing and is pretty easy to shrug off, but Team Ninja actually drawing attention to said response really is bizarre.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Thanks. As I was researching copyrights more though, I discovered on Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection's page for Nintendo Switch, it has ©2021 KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD. & Team NINJA. so there is a possibility that Team Ninja would also be credited for Ryu Hayabusa or anything Ninja Gaiden-related in Smash.

Once again they retweeted the Hyrule Warriors Spirit Event and wasn’t credited in it, I wouldn’t take this retweet as anything serious

Ornl

Smash Ace
Tweets are a good thing for what I want from Smash.
If Hayabusa would come without these tweets, I would say: "Normal. It's been a long time since it was already agreed. Hayabusa really is the least incredible third-party character to come. What are the new Mii Costumes? Those will be a lot more exciting!".
If Hayabusa would come with these tweets, I would say! "Oh ! He did it! Ah ah, finally! Koei Tecmo is the ultimate company honored by Ultimate!".
I'm exaggerating here, of course, but I try to say I like that these tweets to add challenge ^^

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I wouldn't look too much into a retweet when it's about something that they said. It already drew attention to it, so what more would a retweet do? I doubt it would do anything different.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah I forgot about this Rare said this on June 29th 2018 right after Rare and Nintendo/Sakurai talked about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Banjo-Kazooie I remember the deleted tweet said “SMASH X BANJO” and Rare responded, so I once again wouldn’t take the Team NINJA retweet too seriously https://twitter.com/rareltd/status/1012733984059592704?s=21
3E655F0C-18AB-48F9-A98C-57B130E82F65.png
4FAA177B-0F73-4929-93F3-2BE53CBB8921.jpeg

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Once again they retweeted the Hyrule Warriors Spirit Event and wasn’t credited in it, I wouldn’t take this retweet as anything serious
Problem here is that it was an event directly related to Smash Ultimate whereas the retweet of NintendoLife about Yasuda's comment was a voluntary thing for Team Ninja's Twitter to do and since they did it, it really doesn't bode well with the attention given.
I wouldn't look too much into a retweet when it's about something that they said. It already drew attention to it, so what more would a retweet do? I doubt it would do anything different.
My issue is that Nintendo and Sakurai wouldn't have wanted that attention drawn if they were supposed to be under NDA for it. Since Team Ninja's Twitter made reference to it, it really seems like they have nothing to hide.
Oh yeah I forgot about this Rare said this on June 29th 2018 right after Rare and Nintendo/Sakurai talked about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Banjo-Kazooie I remember the deleted tweet said “SMASH X BANJO” and Rare responded, so I once again wouldn’t take the Team NINJA retweet too seriously https://twitter.com/rareltd/status/1012733984059592704?s=21View attachment 308856View attachment 308857
This would only help your case if Team Ninja's retweet was deleted like in your example and since it wasn't... Also, your timing is off because Banjo & Kazooie were revealed and released in 2019.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If you’re questioning whether or not something is breaking NDA or not then it likely isn’t breaking NDA. Hints and otherwise discussions don’t fall under an NDA. Most explicit disconfirmations or confirmations do and that’s why it’s slightly shocking when it comes to the whole Grant Kirkhope thing. But even then it wasn’t explicit enough to get himself in trouble.

Speculation on whether or not something breaks a theoretical NDA gets us no where.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
My issue is that Nintendo and Sakurai wouldn't have wanted that attention drawn if they were supposed to be under NDA for it. Since Team Ninja's Twitter made reference to it, it really seems like they have nothing to hide.
It already has attention on other different sites, so this retweet doesn't really stand out, especially when it's not actually revealing anything. I don't think Nintendo or Sakurai would be worried about that. In fact, some of the people under there thinks this means he's deconfirmed, which is probably exactly what they want people to think.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
It already has attention on other different sites, so this retweet doesn't really stand out, especially when it's not actually revealing anything. I don't think Nintendo or Sakurai would be worried about that. In fact, some of the people under there thinks this means he's deconfirmed, which is probably exactly what they want people to think.
Acknowledged.

On another note, here's a full translation for the interview with Yasuda about Master Collection if anyone's interested.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I have always agreed with PapaGenos on this, I personally think it’s strange that the Lloyd Irving Mii Costume is still missing from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and I know that I’ve said this many times and people don’t always agree with me on this and that’s perfectly fine, but I am one of those people who think that it’s really strange that the Lloyd Mii is still not here, and as we all know most Mii Costumes that either return or are introduced with a Fighter have some kind of common attribute with that Fighter. For example if Ryu Hayabusa is indeed one of the fighters for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate then it definitely makes a ton of sense to pair the Lloyd Irving Mii Costume with him for obvious reasons but I also agree with the fact that the Lloyd Irving Mii Costume doesn’t necessarily have to fit with anybody, it could totally just come with any random unannounced fighter and it would still fit it doesn’t have to fit with the fighter necessarily BUT given the fact that almost every single Fighters Mii Wave has had something in common with the Fighter they are released with then it makes sense to hold of the Lloyd Irving Mii Costume with someone that fits him very well and honestly I don’t think anyone except Ryu Hayabusa or a Bandai Namco rep fit that description https://youtu.be/DAcbHziN-Qg

Takasmash

Smash Ace
I wonder if Team Ninja says Ryu Hayabusa is still waiting for his invention because he's so predictable and might be one of the last fighters next to be reveal?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I suppose that's a possibiity, but just to be safe I'm not gonna get my hopes up. This Twitter news has really shaken my faith in Hayabusa's chances, ngl.
I think you're a little too emotional over this because that shouldn't have shook anything.

When I first saw that, my reaction was "Cool. I also hope he gets an invitation because I'm waiting for it too". Didn't change anything about how I see his chances.

I see other people's response and I'm actually surprised at how serious people are taking it, especially after seeing far worse things said about characters that ended up being in. After experiencing all that, I thought fans were more prepared for this.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I think you're a little too emotional over this because that shouldn't have shook anything.

When I first saw that, my reaction was "Cool. I also hope he gets an invitation because I'm waiting for it too". Didn't change anything about how I see his chances.

I see other people's response and I'm actually surprised at how serious people are taking it, especially after seeing far worse things said about characters that ended up being in. After experiencing all that, I thought fans were more prepared for this.
I know, Kamiya literally told fans to f*ck off about Bayonetta in Smash 4, so I’m not sure why people take “I’m waiting for an invitation” as deconfirmation, even the SNK dev didn’t have a short response he said “yes please Nintendo-San!” and then went into depth on who he think would be cool in Smash, once again all Yasuda said was “I’m waiting for an invitation” and literally nothing else about Smash after that

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace

I know, Kamiya literally told fans to f*ck off about Bayonetta in Smash 4, so I’m not sure why people take “I’m waiting for an invitation” as deconfirmation, even the SNK dev didn’t have a short response he said “yes please Nintendo-San!” and then went into depth on who he think would be cool in Smash, once again all Yasuda said was “I’m waiting for an invitation” and literally nothing else about Smash after that
I think you guys are just in denial and are desparately ignoring that Hayabusa might, I stress MIGHT, not be as sure fire as you think he is. I want him just as much as anyone here, but I'm being realistic at the same time. The Twitter stuff has made me think he's not as likely as I once thought, I'm not gonna deny that. I'm sorry that you don't like that, but there's nothing to be done for it.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I think you guys are just in denial and are desparately ignoring that Hayabusa might, I stress MIGHT, not be as sure fire as you think he is. I want him just as much as anyone here, but I'm being realistic at the same time. The Twitter stuff has made me think he's not as likely as I once thought, I'm not gonna deny that. I'm sorry that you don't like that, but there's nothing to be done for it.
Oh I know it’s possible that Ryu Hayabusa might not be coming and that’s fine, at least I have my crossover 🤗 legit I’m not really losing anything here cuz I got Nintendo Rare and KOEI TECMO, never thought I’d see the day!
458506A5-8467-45CA-B0AA-9D812C334257.jpeg

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I just don't see how the Tweet makes anybody change their mind at all. It didn't reveal anything new, so, I'm like, what's the problem? To me, everything is the same as it was before that.

Also, I really don't think about the likelihood of any character because we really don't know about that. But we can get a good idea of a character's chances of getting in and I still think Hayabusa has a good chance for reasons that's been discussed already. That's all I'm focused on. Now thinking how likely a character is, THAT'S going to stress a person out. That's why I don't think about that.

And sure, there's nothing we can do about it if a Tweet got you thinking like that but it's still not worth getting your hopes down over a non-issue either.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I just don't see how the Tweet makes anybody change their mind at all. It didn't reveal anything new, so, I'm like, what's the problem? To me, everything is the same as it was before that.

Also, I really don't think about the likelihood of any character because we really don't know about that. But we can get a good idea of a character's chances of getting in and I still think Hayabusa has a good chance for reasons that's been discussed already. That's all I'm focused on. Now thinking how likely a character is, THAT'S going to stress a person out. That's why I don't think about that.

And sure, there's nothing we can do about it if a Tweet got you thinking like that but it's still not worth getting your hopes down over a non-issue either.
When did I say I was down about thinking Ryu's chances having gone down? Because I said my faith was shaken? I promise you that I'll be alright. Unlike a lot of people in these newcomer speculation forums, I'm not so emotionally invested on my favorite characters making it into Ultimate that I'm gonna be depressed or salty about them not making it. Yes, there are like 4 or 5 characters I'd still like to see get in, and I even made an argument for Lloyd being more possible earlier this week, but I don't really care in the end if they don't make it. The roster's already close to perfect for me.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
When did I say I was down about thinking Ryu's chances having gone down? Because I said my faith was shaken? I promise you that I'll be alright. Unlike a lot of people in these newcomer speculation forums, I'm not so emotionally invested on my favorite characters making it into Ultimate that I'm gonna be depressed or salty about them not making it. Yes, there are like 4 or 5 characters I'd still like to see get in, and I even made an argument for Lloyd being more possible earlier this week, but I don't really care in the end if they don't make it. The roster's already close to perfect for me.
Well, you said the Twitter stuff got you thinking he's not as likely as he was before. I'm just saying that I don't see how it could be taken seriously enough to do that.

I've seen interviews such as the one with Capcom (during Brawl), Konami (during Smash 4), and now id Software where it was far more clear that their characters wasn't going to be in and since this one isn't anything like those, I didn't think anybody would pay this much attention to it.

But make no mistake, I'm being realistic too. That's why no matter how much I think a character has a chance, it's never a guarantee that they will make it in, so that's why I never expect them. But for Hayabusa supporters, there's really nothing to worry about because his chances are still as good as they were before the Tweet.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I have a bit of an off topic question, if people don’t mind me shifting conversation away from Twitter and interviews.

What would you want Ryu Hayabusa’s name on the roster to be? Obviously, a fair amount of people take issue with the idea of having two characters named Ryu. Admittedly, I would prefer that they didn’t just call him “Ryu” for that reason. It would just look...tacky. They could call him by his full name, Ryu Hayabusa, but that might be a bit much. Solid Snake is just Snake, Cloud Strife is just Cloud, Sonic the Hedgehog is just Sonic. Why would Ryu get his full name?

I think that I’d prefer for his name to just be “Hayabusa.” DoA just calls him Hayabusa, so there is precedent for it. It’s kind of weird for a character to simply be called by their last name, but in this case I do think it makes sense.

I don’t know, this is just something I was thinking about. I’m curious what you all think.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I have a bit of an off topic question, if people don’t mind me shifting conversation away from Twitter and interviews.

What would you want Ryu Hayabusa’s name on the roster to be? Obviously, a fair amount of people take issue with the idea of having two characters named Ryu. Admittedly, I would prefer that they didn’t just call him “Ryu” for that reason. It would just look...tacky. They could call him by his full name, Ryu Hayabusa, but that might be a bit much. Solid Snake is just Snake, Cloud Strife is just Cloud, Sonic the Hedgehog is just Sonic. Why would Ryu get his full name?

I think that I’d prefer for his name to just be “Hayabusa.” DoA just calls him Hayabusa, so there is precedent for it. It’s kind of weird for a character to simply be called by their last name, but in this case I do think it makes sense.

I don’t know, this is just something I was thinking about. I’m curious what you all think.
I like to call him Ryu because it's more personable and because I play more Ninja Gaiden than I do Dead or Alive where it's much more common for characters to refer to him as Ryu. But the Smash team would probably go with Hayabusa for simplicity's sake and to separate him from Street Fighter's Ryu. Do note, we do have other fighters with long names such as Rosalina & Luma and Banjo & Kazooie.

EDIT: I removed some of my response because it was unrelated.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I like to call him Ryu because it's more personable and because I play more Ninja Gaiden than I do Dead or Alive where it's much more common for characters to refer to him as Ryu. But the Smash team would probably go with Hayabusa for simplicity's sake and to separate him from Street Fighter's Ryu. Do note, we do have other fighters with long names such as Rosalina & Luma and Banjo & Kazooie.

EDIT: I removed some of my response because it was unrelated.
Also note, there are 2 Roys in Ultimate already. Not to mention a couple of other fighting games have 2 characters with the same name.
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle: 2 Naotos
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3: 2 Phoenixes

Top Bottom