• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just started playing Falco, what to practice next?

Kawasari Mimoto

Smash Cadet
playing Touhou 10.5: Scarlet Weather Rhapsody!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDZPRBsGYB8

An online friend of mine says I start my shffl'd Dairs a bit off because I tend to Dair as I'm at the 'peak' of my jump. I took that into consideration but haven't tried that yet, so I think I'll change it up a lot more differently when I make another video next time. I just started practicing SHLs (SHFF-Lasers to be precise..), and I don't think I'm jumping short enough or something, or pressing B fast enough, as seen in that video. I'm shooting really slow, I think. I'm supposed to be aiming for something like a standing-laser's speed, right?

I'm still trying to waveshine too, and doing jump-canceled shines. I think this is where I have my problems, because I can't seem to jump-cancel properly. I know how to do it, but I have a massive problem attempting. Every time I try, I accidentally jump. <_< Any tips or pointers would be lovely.

PS: Yes, I know I suck.

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Your SHL's are consistently very high, you're actually lasering too soon, if you delay them they come out later, and if theyre closer to the ground characters like marth cant dash attack you under it and own you

It doesnt matter how you aerial against air because the timing is different when you hit a shield or a person.

Practice against real people because that helps your game much more than in training room. If youre all alone then practice your waveshines and stuff against computers and take a level 1 fox to final destination to practice basic shine--> dair stuff, then take it to yoshis to practice platform combos.
Mango told me to "take a computer fox to yoshis and combo the **** out of it"

Its much easier to critique you in actual matches, so play against your friends.

Kawasari Mimoto

Smash Cadet
playing Touhou 10.5: Scarlet Weather Rhapsody!
Your SHL's are consistently very high, you're actually lasering too soon, if you delay them they come out later, and if theyre closer to the ground characters like marth cant dash attack you under it and own you

It doesnt matter how you aerial against air because the timing is different when you hit a shield or a person.

Practice against real people because that helps your game much more than in training room. If youre all alone then practice your waveshines and stuff against computers and take a level 1 fox to final destination to practice basic shine--> dair stuff, then take it to yoshis to practice platform combos.
Mango told me to "take a computer fox to yoshis and combo the **** out of it"

Its much easier to critique you in actual matches, so play against your friends.
Ah, okay! Great advice! Thanks, man! Sorry that I don't have any vids of my Falco, just because I think my Falco sucks at the moment, haha. I only have vids of my Jigz, haha.

Green Cat

Smash Rookie
theres different l cancel timings for shield and people so make sure you can do both especially shield since shield pressure is a huge part of falcos game

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i suggest setting the dmg ratio from 1.0 to 0.5 and go vs lvl3 bowser. it'll help with the l cancelling timing people are referring to.

practice on platform stages, you can work on your laser game there. learn how to double laser while jumping off a platform, and falling through a platform while lasering. lasers are key to falco :D

practice dair shine dair shine over and over on the bowser. learn nair shine bair shine etc.

Good luck =D

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
you can practice dair shine and other similar timings even better if you set up handicaps and igve yourself 1 and him 9. Even better is hooking up a second controller with the control stick held up as you plug it in, so the bowser will be CCing. that way you can dair shine him and he wont move significantly until like 400% or something. that's also how i learned to doubleshine with falco. dair doubleshine dair over and over again.

also take a cpu fox or falco or even cfal to a platform stage and combo the hell out of it. it'll get your platform game going.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
they're sort of essential. they matter against the spacies. but more than waveshining itself being essential, being in the habit of wavedashing out of shine is really important, so practicing the motion is good.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
for shield pressure, and combos on non fast fallers, full or short hopping out of shine is usually better, but Waveshining is invaluable

anyway, OP, the basics of Falco's techskill aren't hard to get down, it's chaining it all together and combining it with a good mental game that makes your falco scary

MT_

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure waveshining is essential to comboing fast fallers that DI left or right. If you only short hop or full hop out of a shine that hits them and they have DI'd properly, there's no way you're going to catch them with another aerial. You have to waveshine to keep grounded so you can run to follow their DI.

So waveshining IS valuable for that reason, correct me if I'm wrong.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
Yeah, you're right. Waveshining is mad important for Space Animals. So yeah. OP, practice Waveshines, wavelands, and jump shine cancel platform waveshine

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
I'm wondering how you guys practice JC-Shines, because when I tap my Jump-button, I do it too late after the Shine and end up ... jumping. <_<
uh. you do it wrong a lot until you start getting the timing, and then you do it a lot and still get it wrong a lot of the time, and then you keep doing it a lot until you start getting it right. it's actually not all that hard. at least not to get 2; more than that is hard to maintain, at least for me.

one of the things i did to learn the timing on an enemy (as opposed to on air) was what i described above... put a CCing bowser at handicap 9, damage ratio .5, and your handicap 1. you can dair -> doubleshine up to like 300-400%.

PKSTkimo

Smash Cadet
Your lasers are nice, try practicing aproaching and retreating lasers (Lasering while you run), full jump triple and double lasers and ledge doble lasers. Practice more wavedash, once you mastered it try waveshine and SHFFLing

Top Bottom