• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just how useful is the stutter step?

NoobCake

Smash Apprentice
I've seen it mentioned many times throughout this forum what stutter stepping is. For those who don't know, it's when you quickly tap the opposite direction before you do an fsmash, and you sort of slide forward a bit before smashing, thus increasing the range on your smash (i.e. if you were to smash to the right, you would quickly tap left on your analog stick before mashing your c-stick to the right).

The increase in range is quite noticeable on characters like C. Falcon and Ganondorf, and I have seen people say many times that you should stutter-step with Wario, but when I actually do it, I don't seem to notice much of a difference with him. If anyone could take screencaps and somehow show the difference, it would be much appreciated, and I'm sure others would appreciate it as well.

Apologies if this have been posted already somewhere.

Neo M.J

Smash Apprentice
Not really useful, will put up a comparison soon.

Here they are!

Without stutter step

with stutter step

With Falcon he actually reaches the second arrow!

bassem6

Smash Lord
Guys. I just tested using stutter step on the sandbag in the online waiting room and it DOES help. You can see a difference if you stand on any one of the lines then f-smash. Then stand on the same line, push forward on the control stick, wait till wario takes a step forward then f-smash with c-stick. There IS a noticable difference from what I saw.

Edit: Wthout the extra step from the stutter step, wario's front foot is almost exactly in between the two lines(a teeny bit past half). WITH the stutter step his front foot is a teeny bit from touching the NEXT line.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Lol, it doesn't really matter though since that move wasn't made to be used in a ranged matter. If stutter stepping increased priority I understand, but the only thing it does is barely decreases the chances of whiffing a fsmash.

NoobCake

Smash Apprentice
Guys. I just tested using stutter step on the sandbag in the online waiting room and it DOES help. You can see a difference if you stand on any one of the lines then f-smash. Then stand on the same line, push forward on the control stick, wait till wario takes a step forward then f-smash with c-stick. There IS a noticable difference from what I saw.

Edit: Wthout the extra step from the stutter step, wario's front foot is almost exactly in between the two lines(a teeny bit past half). WITH the stutter step his front foot is a teeny bit from touching the NEXT line.
Wait, push forward? Are you sure you're doing the stutter step right?

Top Bottom