• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just a few AI fails

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: Noticed some errors with the AI not listed in this topic, or just want to talk about it more? Post your comments here!

First off, I have been playing Roy almost exclusively, so that may be a factor. Secondly, He is awesome, and so is this game mod. And Lastly, I play level 9s whenever I'm not in classic mode (which I play on hard difficulty).

Ok so here we go.

The first one is simple. Whenever I play versus, the AI sometimes will be happy to try to run off the edge of the level (especially on a stage like Fourside or Jungle Japes) and will sometimes just kill themselves for little to no provocation.

Second, whenever I play against Mewtwo or Lucario (regardless if its 1v1 or free for all), They sometimes are happy just holding onto their charge B moves for way too long (to the point where they had it fully charged, a smash ball would spawn, and I would not only be able to get it without competition, but also use it on them without even a flinch)

Next, since I like using Roy almost exclusively, I learned that the AI will often run into range of his charging B without trying to dodge or block, and I am usually able to spam it until I can get a KO with a fully charged one (I even did this on event 40).

EDIT: Original last paragraph was removed, as it was intentional, not a bug. Ginge corrected me on that.

W¡ndy

Smash Cadet
Also, Olimar tends to just stand still and dodge when he runs out of (on lvl 9)

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
Also, on green hill zone, the AI will tend to kill itself more often, as if to say they think there is an invisible ledge just past the current map.

EDIT: fixed grammar

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
A few other things I've noticed that would be good to fix:
Peach needs to dsmash much more. She almost never does it, and it's probably her best move. It would be especially amazing if she did FC aerials into dsmash or other things as pressure.
G&W needs to attack out of his up b.
Lucas needs to use his tether recovery. It would also be very cool if he used his magnet to recover, always charged his neutral b instead of taunting after KOing the opponent, always went for upthrow when it would kill, and used more magnet in his combos. All of these things are just nice possibilities, but the lack of tether recovery is pretty problematic since real players will use it all the time. Overall, I think Lucas's AI is excellent, but he is a pretty complex character, and it would be nice to add more tools as the AI is being improved.

All characters need to be better at teching. They hardly ever do it. Their DI is amazing though.

As others have pointed out, a lot of character seem really prone to suiciding in 3.0. I've seen Bowser up b from his respawn platform and go as far as possible in order to go off stage, miss the ledge, and SD.

No other suggestions come to my mind, and most of these issues are pretty minor, which is pretty amazing. PM has such good AI overall, far better than any official smash game. I imagine programming the AI to be this good is pretty difficult. It'll be really cool to see how much the AI progresses in terms of optimizing recovery, combos, and kill setups.

Hark

Smash Rookie
Another stone here, I noticed that AIs tend to just ... derp when you falcon punch out of the blank. Like stand still, falcon punch, the ai will rush towards you and start dashdancing around you doing nothing else, resulting in their death most of the times.

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
speaking of dash dancing, have you guys notice that the AI will sometimes just do that out of nowhere at random points? its not as often as the SDs for me, but I have started to notice it.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Lastly, I havent played classic mode since I unlocked every character, but when I finally played it twice yesterday, I noticed that there is a match before the final boss(es) where it is supposed to be 1v3, but it act more like a freefor all and the AI constantly tries to KO eachother instead of me. This might just be a (minor) consequence to fixing the AI gang up.

That match up in vBrawl was a Free For All to start with. There was an event match that was 1v3, which you might be thinking of instead.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
speaking of dash dancing, have you guys notice that the AI will sometimes just do that out of nowhere at random points? its not as often as the SDs for me, but I have started to notice it.
after peach throws me into the air she will dash dance like crazy staying perfectly under me at all times. She is a devil CPU.

TheHauntedSkull

Smash Rookie
... LOL xD
I haven't noticed ANY of these problems. It might just be because you're playing lvl9 cpu, or hard dif. As I said, LOL! I haven't noticed ANY of these problems! CPU lvl3 work just fine for me! (Actually, they sometimes act as if they're lvl9, that is also an issue, could the cpu leveling be backwards?)

...;) LOL

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
When I use mario, I can spam pills/fireballs endlessly against any cpu character. They often sidestep or jump over the projectiles, but then they just dash in place right next to me, if I stand still and just spam b. Once I stop pressing b, they attack, but as long as I'm pressing b, they dash around me and do nothing. The only exception is that fox occasionally nairs.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Does that happen only when you 1v1 that AI in port 3? Cause I've never had a problem with 4-For-Alls with 3 level 9 AI's
It happened for both. In 4-for-all CPUs it was less common but it would still occur at least once or twice a 4 stock match.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Lvl 5 cpus are prone to dash-dancing around Ganondorf for no reason.

Ginge

Smash Ace
If you wanna fix them, play lvl 3s. They act exactly like lvl9s, trust me.
I tried playing lvl 3s and they... they bad. Very bad. Like 4 stocking them while taking 0% damage bad. Level 9's are either AMAZING, or dumb as bricks, depending on what character they're using.

Sai_

Smash Apprentice
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification
At the same time, AI in a free-for-all will target a human player most of the time; they all gang up on you until you die and then go into stupid-mode and kill them selves or pathetically fall of the stage. I hope they change how the AI targets things as well; I hate having all 3 AI against me only because I'm a human player.

Ginge

Smash Ace
Now they hone in on any character with the most damage. The current AIs are bloody kill stealers.

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
Now they hone in on any character with the most damage. The current AIs are bloody kill stealers.
Seriously. It gets ridiculous to the point that they will kill themselves trying to get that point

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
Umm, I'm pretty sure there's only like 1 or 2 dudes working on CPUs....slow down with these crazy complaints
I love the game these guys have been making, and if shoddy AI is the worst this game has to offer, then it's ok in my book. Especially since you just know that eventually they will get it patched.

I only mentioned it because this is a bug reporting board, and AI randomly killing itself constitutes as such.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I do agree the level of the CPU is negligible most of the time unless under 3. They just have spurts of level 20 CPU then stop... The only things I wish the CPU didn't do is 1. airdodge ever. They airdodge if you apply ANY pressure towards them offstage and they SD. Maybe if there's a way to code wavedashing, but keep airdodge off somehow. And 2. Any time I just sit on a ledge the CPU will attack approximately once or twice, then try to hit me with their UpB.... Why the UpB? They just SD off the ledge. Lastly, they don't fully utilize their recovery like they did in 2.6b. Mario would cape, Marth side b etc.

I will say that onstage the CPUs of all caliber have some really impressive aggression/pressure, but they can't act well when offstage.

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
After playing enough though, I have started to notice a pattern with the AI suicides: they happen most often on the modded stages. While they still kill themselves on the regular stages, the frequency of their SDs increase on stages that drastically changed their sizes and shapes.

For example, the original version of Green Hill Zone had spanned from one side of the screen to the other, with an occasional random gap in the center while the new one is a stage similar to battlefield. While there is obviously no more stage on the left or right side of the field, the AI still seems to think there is, and will often try to "land" on tiles that were previously occupied and thus will either realize their mistake and try to return, or they try to just move farther, as they assume that maybe they just haven't quite reached the nonexistent floor.

Stages like Warioware or Lylat Cruise that have not been changed physically, or levels with screen spanning floor like Training Room and Shadow Moses seem to alleviate some of these bad AI issues. My only guess on how to fix this permanently is to change the AI coding on each stage, but I think that is effort best spent elsewhere.

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
I do agree the level of the CPU is negligible most of the time unless under 3. They just have spurts of level 20 CPU then stop... The only things I wish the CPU didn't do is 1. airdodge ever. They airdodge if you apply ANY pressure towards them offstage and they SD. Maybe if there's a way to code wavedashing, but keep airdodge off somehow. And 2. Any time I just sit on a ledge the CPU will attack approximately once or twice, then try to hit me with their UpB.... Why the UpB? They just SD off the ledge. Lastly, they don't fully utilize their recovery like they did in 2.6b. Mario would cape, Marth side b etc.

I will say that onstage the CPUs of all caliber have some really impressive aggression/pressure, but they can't act well when offstage.

I feel it's OK for them to air dodge (as it is a key strategy for any player to do so). They just need to learn that air dodges should not be used in the same vein as they were in brawl.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Pretty much every AI's response (maybe except spacies) when you are on ledge is to constantly up-special. It's really weird and often gets them killed as in the case of captain falcon or peach. Why would they up-B on the edge? Unless they are link or something. Check it out.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
One of the IC's killed the other!

Can we make them not airdodge anymore like at all,even if they don't WD it is till better than suicide.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Well the first thing i noticed (and chuckled at|) was that the Cpu's sometimes pull of some crazy combo's, and then other times they just stand there. Their such fascinating creatures really

:happysheep::surprised::cheep::grrr::sadsheep:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
I've noticed that the AI's in P:M are much better than in any other game, but then will randomly do something stupid and self-destruct.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Wow, after reading those AI issues, I gotta say those Als need serious improvements. Hell, I seen ******** CPUs screw in battle ALOT. It's amusing sometimes, but get more annoying as I fight them often.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Wow, after reading those AI issues, I gotta say those Als need serious improvements. Hell, I seen ******** CPUs screw in battle ALOT. It's amusing sometimes, but get more annoying as I fight them often.
It is true that the AI isn`t the best but please remember that there is only one person working on the AI and AI programming is not something someone should be doing alone.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
It is true that the AI isn`t the best but please remember that there is only one person working on the AI and AI programming is not something someone should be doing alone.
Wait a minute! Only one person is responsible for the AI programming?? Man that feels like a lot of work, especially the fact that he/she's dealing with a 41 character roster.

AgentLym

Smash Rookie
Hey, I don't know if anyone's mentioned this before, but a bug I've found playing against level 9 Lucas (I also play Lucas-- just to see how the cpu plays). As Lucas, whenever I grab onto the ledge with my grab-snake-whip and just hang there for a second, it's very likely that the enemy Lucas will run right to the edge of the stage, and promptly use his up-b to rocket himself off the edge to his untimely death. I've resorted to quickly getting back onstage and jabbing him out of his up-b to keep him from killing himself. I haven't played with any other characters that can grab the ledge with a whip (like Ivysaur or ZSS), but I assume that AI Lucas would still kill himself if I hung on the edge with those characters as well. I primarily play on Final Destination-- I don't think the stage has anything to do with it, but, just in case. I hope it's a quick-fix!

Top Bottom