• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Junior and the Koopalings Game Play Discussion

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
I'm really liking the way Bowser jr. looks so far. Has he been used in any recent tournaments? I saw a tourney locator one a couple of weeks ago where he was being used.

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
Bowser jr is a fun character to play. I'm pleasantly surprised by how good he seems to be so far. A fun to use, great addition to smash bros

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Are yall calling him BJ??

EWW NO

How about Jr. Or Wendy/Morten/Gemmy/Igor or whatever tf the other ones not-Wendy are called.

eWaltz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Waltz.exe
I'll stick with 'Bowser Jr.' or Koopalings, haha. I've watched a couple streams where Roy was played and it hyped me up a bit for the character. His utility seems decent and his Up B spikes look really fun to play around with. He may just be my go-to for FFA friendlies, at least.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Joonya
Jr.
Koopalings

these are the only acceptable names.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I have some questions about the mecha koopa special since i dont have the game yet to test

-does it explode on direct contact with the opponent if you drop it on them from the air?
-if you pick it up as an item, does the explosion timer continue counting as normal or does it pause?
-if you throw it as an item, will it explode on impact with the floor or begin moving regularly again?
-does it walk off platforms or turn around back and forth like it does on the main stage?

I don't really feel like this projectile will be as useful as many people hope. From what I've seen of it, your opponent is able to avoid it pretty easily and grab it for their own use without much difficulty. but we'll have to see

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
I have some questions about the mecha koopa special since i dont have the game yet to test

-does it explode on direct contact with the opponent if you drop it on them from the air?
-if you pick it up as an item, does the explosion timer continue counting as normal or does it pause?
-if you throw it as an item, will it explode on impact with the floor or begin moving regularly again?
-does it walk off platforms or turn around back and forth like it does on the main stage?

I don't really feel like this projectile will be as useful as many people hope. From what I've seen of it, your opponent is able to avoid it pretty easily and grab it for their own use without much difficulty. but we'll have to see
I agree its kinda like a ****ty bomb-chu

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
at least it's better than his neutral b lmao

It's actually quite decent, it works pretty much exactly like Links bombs

TeamLaFlare

Smash Cadet

I don't have the game yet (not for a couple more hours at least...), but from what I've seen on videos of gameplay and move analyses, I can attempt to answer these questions for you.

- The mecha koopa, when first making contact with an opponent, will hit the opponent and pop them into the air (2% damage), where they will then explode for a second hit (7-9% damage dependent on positioning) and the knockback is nothing to get excited over (kills Samus at 250%).
- If they are picked up, the timer resets a bit, not as long as normal, but you get an extra three-five seconds if I recall correctly.
- If thrown as an item, it will explode upon contact.
- The mecha koopa will turn around once they walk towards an edge. They do a 180-degree turn and continue on until the timer runs out.

I cannot personally say if this move is viable or effective, but I have heard both sides of the aisles praising and defaming the move. Some say that it should be rarely used and has a niche usage, while I have heard others say that if you do not have one of these guys on the field at all times then you aren't playing Jr. correctly.

The stats for the above notes are from JoeInky's moveset analysis (check out his stuff, he's awesome!) and from gameplay I have seen of guys trying to figure out Bowser Junior and main him. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
has anyone tried bomb canceling his mecha koopas? i haven't seen it yet but does he throw the koopa when you press down b while holding one or does he try to spawn another and fail? link can use the down b bomb throw to cancel landing lag on certain moves. might let bowser jr shorthop cannonball into koopa toss

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Mecha koopas can be used as a shield to approach since it blocks big projectiles like gordos and full charged shots from samus/lucario/wft etc.

Other than that they're nice to edguard with. Throw a mechakoopa near the edge -> pick it up (easy since they turn around near the edge) -> either:
- z toss for characters that want to grab the ledge from beneath and combo into fair or
- throw in front of you for a ko if they are close to the blast zone.

Also side b into mechakoopa toss combos around 90% which is nice :)

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Anybody else noticed how good his aerials are after he ditches the clown car? Probably his best KO moves, and not too shabby when it comes to racking up damage either.

T-block

B2B TST
A few of my thoughts:

• When initiating side-b on the ground, Bowser Jr. hops backwards a little bit. That movement is pretty nice as a bait-type maneuver. Dash at them, side-b and let that hop back take you out of their range, then ram them into jump aerial or spin out to kill.
  • I think in the future we'll be encouraged to use Mechakoopas more like Peach's turnips, picking them up instead of letting them roam. I'm not quite sure how easy it is for the opponent to use them against us, but I bet there are quite a few characters who will be able to pick them up really easily.
  • Roaming Mechakoopas control space pretty nicely on FD, but they're much less effective on stages with platforms
  • PIVOT F-TILT IS REALLY GOOD. If you're not using it you're doing it wrong.

has anyone tried bomb canceling his mecha koopas? i haven't seen it yet but does he throw the koopa when you press down b while holding one or does he try to spawn another and fail? link can use the down b bomb throw to cancel landing lag on certain moves. might let bowser jr shorthop cannonball into koopa toss
I just tried it... it doesn't work =( He tries to pop another one out of the hatch instead. It's a shame, because we actually would have been able to use it really well by picking it up with a rising aerial.

Anybody else noticed how good his aerials are after he ditches the clown car? Probably his best KO moves, and not too shabby when it comes to racking up damage either.
Yeah that hammer is insanely strong. I've played around with using it intentionally, but I find it's usually not worth the risk. Maybe if you're at low percents, but getting hit out of it is really really bad. =x

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Remember you guys. When you used side b in air and you get hit, you will NOT get another side b until you land on the ground. Even if you jumped out of it. So don't use it on shield at a high percebtage since it will limit your recovery options.

Also, upb will NOT respawn once you get hit if you used the hammer. If you miss the hammer and someone attacks you, you have 0 recovery options.

Edit: hey @ T-block T-block nice to see you again, how have you been? No more jiggs?

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Actually, the car DOES respawn if you get hit after your upb, it just takes a few seconds.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Actually, the car DOES respawn if you get hit after your upb, it just takes a few seconds.
No it does not AFTER you used the hammer check it out. It only respawns if you didnt use hammer.

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I think we should really start looking at dtilt more as an option. Hides his weaker hurtbox and does decent damage.

MisterVisceral

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistervisceral
3DS FC
3153-4184-3244
Noticed that when Greninja hit the mini-mecha with his Dair the mecha attached to him and thus exploded.
Teching potential?

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Yo bjr dtilt is is really really good. I use it like g&w his brawl dtilt. Comes out really fast and is necessary for your spacing game (whiffed ftilt/fair/nair/landing after using upb).

The only problem with it is that the last hit sometimes whifs against characters with a small hitbox around the feet in the air.

Last edited:

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
I'm really having an internal struggle on regular clown car vs drift clown car.
The drift clown car's attack is pretty neat, along with a great recovery/mobility tool
The regular one has amazing follow ups after attacks and puts you high enough to jump fake without extreme lag.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Dair allows you t act immediately out of it if they're hit by the knockback inducing hit at the end, at low percents I've combod to an utilt->uair. I see a lot of potential with Dair, but this only works if the knock back inducing hit hits them, not the shield or missing altogether.

MisterVisceral

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistervisceral
3DS FC
3153-4184-3244
Been playing some more 1vs1, you really can't stress enough how important it is that you stay evasive while you're out of the clown. It gets pretty devastating pretty fast.

Another thing: the clownless hammer attack only has one attack pattern no matter what direction you're holding with it (the arc goes below you and a bit to the sides). Keep it up, ladies & gents.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Best I can tell, the hammer aerial basically has a nair hitbox - just sorta hits everything around you.

T-block

B2B TST
So the hop out of side-b is slightly higher than a short hop. It's high enough that you can side-b hop and immediately n-air to land without suffering the usual landing lag that you would see from a short hop n-air.

One thing that seems to work is to side-b into their shield, but jump n-air and fadeback, so that you land outside of their grab range (similar to fadeback n-air's that Melee Falco does). Then you can f-tilt (safer) or f-smash once you land.

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
Something I've yet to try but have a theory on.
Does his Up-B have any Invincibility frames or invulnerable to grabs? At which point is Bjr and the clown car no longer considered a unit?

Sabeta

Smash Cadet
I've been playing with the Side-B and Up-B lately, and their potential. I'm no pro-smasher though so take what I say with a grain of doubt.

My favorite approach right now is Side-B>Jump>Dair
A lot of people I've played with online don't see it coming, and the last knockback effect can probably set up more options.

Running away and then suddenly popping Side-B back at them is hilarious.

It seems the Up-B MIGHT have meteor properties, but the timing on it would be insane. Essentially, if they bump into the clown car before it detonates then the knockback from that takes them out of the explosions hitbox. It might work on heavies though, I was attempting this on some of the lighter characters.

Mechakoopa and Cannon nice. I like aiming the Mecha away from the enemy, picking it up as soon as it returns, and then firing the cannon. This usually baits the shield and then I follow up with a tossed Mecha and punish. It doesn't always work, and it won't work against someone expecting it, but it keeps your options free against players who can't camp against you. (Scoring a bit of free damage before they approach is never a bad thing)

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Like the guy above me said, at 30% or below jump canceled clown car into dair is a good combo. Follow it up with mech bomb to force the opponent into a wake up oki situation. On heavier characters you can combo utilt after dair (tough though) but you lose the setup

Last edited:

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
i finally found a character in smash i like more than jigglypuff its roy and no its not because of his name i actually like him because hes awesome and his design is simply marvelous

CarterParrish

Smash Cadet
NNID
smellybutthole7
3DS FC
0404-7411-8213
I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but I recommend using the mechakoopa right by the edge of the stage. This will cause it to immediately turn around, allowing you to snatch it and utilize it as a ledge guard/ on-contact bomb. This could be a much easier way of picking it up than chasing it.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
So I went into the character a bit myself.

-Going through all the pages I'm amazed this hasn't been mentioned, but you can tilt his Fsmash just like his Ftilt. Tilted up seems the most reliable for hitting but any angle seems to be DIable out of
-At low percents you cab foot stool off a side B hit. Potential okizeme maybe, but I don't see any really practical uses.
-At high percents (130ish) can combo side B into the Up B hammer for an easy kill. I could get it to combo as low as 90%, but the timing is REALLY tight, not to mention the spacing. Doesn't kill at 90% either. May be easier with a second stick though
-This ones a bit bizarre. I tested just how the Up B clown car regen works

Off strong hits I would eventually be able to regenerate it by pressing A when I left hitstun. Off very weak hits, I'd just plummet to my death. Perhaps getting the car back depends on the hit you take while out of it?

Top Bottom