• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Junior and the Koopalings Game Play Discussion

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't see a thread in here about Jr's custom moves

I'm curious what he gets

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
Besides, the characters looks fast enough to not need to rely on projectiles.
He's not or rather he is fast but he's like Brawl Falcon in that he can't really do much.

The irony is he has to rely on projectiles but they slow him down which negates the point of it.

Maybe Nday will back me up on this but most moves in this game (and especially B.Jr's) send enemies in upwards directions.
That said, Canon Ball is limited in its ability to edgeguard because of this as it only goes out straight, then dips and unlike other Smash games you have way more options in the air to get back to the stage.

Don't think it was mentiond but you can footstool into ejection. This gives him much needed killing potential.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
^Correct, @ mcnichoj mcnichoj

That video isn't really doing it for me, and I don't consider myself really good or anything so this feels weird to say.
I've watched the first match and he plays so different. I like using a lottt more of my fair and bair, especially as my KO moves. either that or upb, and especially upb when they're recovering low. the clown's explosion kills at early 100s (probably a little more if they're low due to the high ceilings and the fact it launches you up) so if you get hit by it, even low it's likely to work. He is using a lot of fsmash, which is a good KO move but it's range is such utter **** I avoid using it like the plague. the first KO on the edge was good though, I'll have to try using it on the edge next time. anyway it's the move I throw out maybe twice a match. not to mention at the percentage sheik was at the 2nd stock even hitting her with the kart would kill.

but yes I would seriously say 60% of the kills I get are edge guarding with bair, the rest are clown exploding and least of all smash attacks. it might just be the way I play him though.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
Im really hoping bowser jr qualify for one of my mains
You could always play him against bots or in friendlies. Low tier play is a thing.

I'm gonna Jon's for the Sheik player, he was playing with a camera in the way. Even had to readjust mid-game. The Jr. player wasn't bad but he should have been punished on a lot of the things he did and he messed up a whole bunch.
In that third match where he tried to hit him off stage with the ball is what I'm saying, it's too slow.

ndayday

BRoomer
yeah I can see that being a problem lol. the replay feature is good though, I'm not sure if it has a limit but I've caught some of my better matches no problem. that'd be better to record, you could at the least have a steady cam then.

I want to maybe record a couple videos, one where I do ok and one where I get wrecked with Jr. Just to show some of the things I'm saying better.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
He's not or rather he is fast but he's like Brawl Falcon in that he can't really do much.

The irony is he has to rely on projectiles but they slow him down which negates the point of it.

Maybe Nday will back me up on this but most moves in this game (and especially B.Jr's) send enemies in upwards directions.
That said, Canon Ball is limited in its ability to edgeguard because of this as it only goes out straight, then dips and unlike other Smash games you have way more options in the air to get back to the stage.

Don't think it was mentiond but you can footstool into ejection. This gives him much needed killing potential.
I see what you mean but after seeing this video

Toaster quality, but here's some good BJ gameplay against Sheik.
You can see his options. He played well without relying on too many projectiles. He doesn't look high tier but he's decent, in my opinion. I'd like to test the game myself.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
I see what you mean but after seeing this video
A uninhibited player would be all over him.

Watched M2K and PB&J fight for like two hours on stream and while PB picked him M2K didn't nor did he really make any comment about the character. He mostly said stuff about his characters but made some comments about the others, he didn't say anything about Jr.
I really hope it's because he hasn't got any play time with them and not because that's how uninteresting they are.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
A uninhibited player would be all over him.

Watched M2K and PB&J fight for like two hours on stream and while PB picked him M2K didn't nor did he really make any comment about the character. He mostly said stuff about his characters but made some comments about the others, he didn't say anything about Jr.
I really hope it's because he hasn't got any play time with them and not because that's how uninteresting they are.
Well, Bowser jr. doesn't feel like a character m2k would use, so he wouldn't comment much. I also heard he didn't play the game as much, but that he definitely play the Wii U one a lot.
In a few weeks we'll get to use Bowser jr. ourselves, though. He seems decent at least.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
So uh... what do the Mecha-Koopas actually do? Nobody ever uses them.

ndayday

BRoomer
you have yet to see me spam the **** out of them then. they're good for stage control, pop the opponent up on hit so you can follow with fair or bair, and you can pick them up and throw them! I also like dropping them when getting back on the stage for some breathing room.

unless you mean what they actually ACTUALLY do, in which case they fall out of the clown and move in a straight path on the stage/platform until it reaches an edge, then turns around, blowing up after 6 or 7 seconds iirc.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
Well, Bowser jr. doesn't feel like a character m2k would use, so he wouldn't comment much. I also heard he didn't play the game as much, but that he definitely play the Wii U one a lot.
In a few weeks we'll get to use Bowser jr. ourselves, though. He seems decent at least.
M2K gravitates towards the good characters, it's just how he is. In early days of Brawl he immediately picked up Metaknight.
Right now he's using Charizard, Sheik, Duck Hunt, Bowser and Falcon. (At least that's what I remember from stream,)
You're phrasing seems weird. He was just playing like a day ago for two whole hours and some of us already have the game. I'm playing the character right now and that's where all my negativity is coming from, my impressions of actually using the character.
While decent isn't bad it doesn't win you tournaments and puts you in a lot of uphill battles against good/popular characters.

It runs around and explodes. You can pick it up if you're fast enough. It can also hurt you.

Porti

Smash Rookie
The Mecha Koopas are pretty awesome, because they hit the opponent when they reach him and THEN explode. You should spam them a lot und mix it with the canon ball. Bowser Jr. has a great approach with his side B. If you hit somebody, you can jump out of it and follow with an air combo, like Nair->Fair. There is no lag at all, if you jump out of SideB, even if you hit somebody.

Also, the explosion of the clown car after UpB is huge und his air attack if he is out of the clown car (how do you call it?) is very strong AND has a high priority. His Side Tilt is very quick, so you can combine Side Tilt and Nair with everything.

He is a fast and really strong character and it is just plain fun to play with him. Approach is pretty hard, if your opponent got a projectile that stops your SideB, though.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone done Smash Run enough with him to find out what they are? And if so, would you mind posting information about them here? I'd imagine that they would be really interesting and unique, considering his moveset.

TeamLaFlare

Smash Cadet
@DarkAura64 has said in another custom moves thread on the General 3DS forum that he has all of the custom specials for Bowser Jr.

Perhaps he would be so kind as to oblige us with this information? Pretty please? :chuckle:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
@DarkAura64 has said in another custom moves thread on the General 3DS forum that he has all of the custom specials for Bowser Jr.

Perhaps he would be so kind as to oblige us with this information? Pretty please? :chuckle:
Actually, he said he'd post post them tomorrow! So, GET HYPE! I'm keeping a catalog of all known Bowser Jr. Custom Moves over in the "Koopaling(s) for SSB4" thread, so you can go check it out if you want.

Last edited:

T-block

B2B TST
Question for those who have the game: has anyone found a way to grab out of side-b by any chance?

I've heard that JC grab isn't in Smash 4 (right?), but if there's some way to get any sort of grab out of side-b movement that would be huuuuuuge.

I'm very interested in this character btw, so expect to see me around ^_^

ndayday

BRoomer
Question for those who have the game: has anyone found a way to grab out of side-b by any chance?

I've heard that JC grab isn't in Smash 4 (right?), but if there's some way to get any sort of grab out of side-b movement that would be huuuuuuge.

I'm very interested in this character btw, so expect to see me around ^_^
I tried for you, even though I was pretty sure you can't. Any button press make the kart spin-out to a stop. The only thing you can do that isn't spin is jump (by flicking control pad up). And after the kart jump you can't jump normally until you land/grab an edge so no 3rd jump either. about the fastest grab you'll get out of kart is kart > jump, ff > grab

(or I guess you could spin out so you stop right in front of them and hope they shield)

Last edited:

TeamLaFlare

Smash Cadet
@ Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123 posted a reddit link in the main Bowser Jr. thread that contained this subsidiary link of rips for custom moves.

http://imgur.com/a/OfWa9

If you scroll down you can see the images that correspond to Jr.'s customs! I have only seen one of them in action. His secondary Side-B Clown Kart seems to trap opponents in the attack for multiple hits rather than his default Side-B that causes greater knockback with only one hit.

Can anyone else make out possibly what his custom moves may be based off these images?

Or has anyone seen any others in action that can share what they are?! :)

Last edited:

T-block

B2B TST
I tried for you, even though I was pretty sure you can't. Any button press make the kart spin-out to a stop. The only thing you can do that isn't spin is jump (by flicking control pad up). And after the kart jump you can't jump normally until you land/grab an edge so no 3rd jump either. about the fastest grab you'll get out of kart is kart > jump, ff > grab

(or I guess you could spin out so you stop right in front of them and hope they shield)
Thanks.

So it's not a normal jump? =( That's a shame.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I found a video that has some good Junior gameplay. From the looks of it, he has some good advantages against Pac-Man.

Last edited:

ndayday

BRoomer
Thanks.

So it's not a normal jump? =( That's a shame.
Oh no, it is a normal jump at that point, you just can't jump again until you land. It's actually more like a short hop (slightly higher yet lower than a full jump). You can airdodge and use all your aerials/specials so it's actually really handy to approach quickly since the normal run speed is pretty bad.

Last edited:

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
@ Smashoperatingbuddy123 Smashoperatingbuddy123 posted a reddit link in the main Bowser Jr. thread that contained this subsidiary link of rips for custom moves.

http://imgur.com/a/OfWa9

If you scroll down you can see the images that correspond to Jr.'s customs! I have only seen one of them in action. His secondary Side-B Clown Kart seems to trap opponents in the attack for multiple hits rather than his default Side-B that causes greater knockback with only one hit.

Can anyone else make out possibly what his custom moves may be based off these images?

Or has anyone seen any others in action that can share what they are?! :)
Here are the ones I can decipher based on the image:

Neutral B:
-Piercing Canonball
-Suction start up?

Side B:
-Multihits
-Burrying

Down B:
-Launched bombs
-Bigger bombs

Up B:
-No clue at all

Definitely equipping the burying car attack as Morton.

TeamLaFlare

Smash Cadet
Here are the ones I can decipher based on the image:

Neutral B:
-Piercing Canonball
-Suction start up?

Side B:
-Multihits
-Burrying

Down B:
-Launched bombs
-Bigger bombs

Up B:
-No clue at all

Definitely equipping the burying car attack as Morton.
I am in complete agreement with you on all fronts! Especially the Up-B's; I have zero clue as to what is going on in those pictures.

EDIT: The only thing I can guess for the Up-B customs seem to appear that the first custom propels Jr. up faster, as noted by the "swoosh" below him indicating a faster motion. And perhaps the other custom causes the Clown Car to explode at the apex of the jump which knocks him out of it? It shows Bowser Jr. below the explosion so that was my reasoning on that one.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Have anyone discovered any sweet Bowser Jr combos?

Beaaronack

Smash Rookie
NNID
beaaronack
3DS FC
0275-9621-4971
I've noticed a couple interesting things about Bowser Jr.

First is something that I notices by accident. The animation for grabbing ledge overrides the animation for shooting the cannonball. So, is you time it right, you can shoot the cannonball out and immediately snap to the ledge. Granted, being on the ledge isn't a great thing in this game, but still, its something.

Adding on to that, because you snap to ledges even backwards, you can B-reverse the cannonball to shoot it offstage for edge-guarding, and still snap back to the ledge with no lag. Could be useful.

Another different thing is that, as explained earlier in this thread, he can jump out of his side-B. On the ground, if you hit someone with side-B and immediately jump, you'll pretty much follow their trajectory and it sets up perfectly for an aerial of your choice. At lower percents Nair works, but higher up you start getting into Uair territory, which is awesome. And that combo(Side-B hit->jump->Aerial) is pretty much free and guaranteed. At really high percents you can follow up the Uair with an UpB hammer for a kill.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Who do you guys think are his worst/best matches? looks like a pretty solid character so far.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Have we seen any news on his custom moves?

I've been watching some videos and it looks like his down special is popular. It seems pretty powerful and it's quick to execute, unlike his neutral special. The explosion on his up special is also a popular KO move.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
So...according to his English trophy description, Junior's clown car has higher defense then Junior himself, meaning if your attacks hit the car instead of him, he'll take less damage and not be sent as far.

That's something that warrants testing.

ndayday

BRoomer
So...according to his English trophy description, Junior's clown car has higher defense then Junior himself, meaning if your attacks hit the car instead of him, he'll take less damage and not be sent as far.

That's something that warrants testing.
This is interesting. If true then presumably Junior would have a sort of crouch cancel since he ducks his head down when crouching. Hmmm

Leonyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Leonyx3
3DS FC
2638-1926-1616
Thanks to Aerodrome, we know that Bowser Jr. takes 1.15 times as much damage if he takes it, and 0.88 times as much damage if the car gets hit. Here's the source. It's somewhere on that page.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
Who do you guys think are his worst/best matches? looks like a pretty solid character so far.
Thanks to Aerodrome, we know that Bowser Jr. takes 1.15 times as much damage if he takes it, and 0.88 times as much damage if the car gets hit. Here's the source. It's somewhere on that page.

Going on with this piece of information, I'd say anyone with fantastic air game will wreck him like Ralph.

PlasmaPuffball

Smash Apprentice
I was watching ZeRo's stream, and saw that Jr. has Super Armor on his Side-B. Is that anything new, or did we know that already? I'm not sure if it persists throughout the entire move, ZeRo noticed he had super armor at the beginning of the Side-B and in the middle of it right before he used the jump.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Junior's side B 2 looks really interesting after seeing it in action.

It only causes much damage if you spin into somebody, but it appears to have projectile immunity and gives him a huge amount of distance when its spin is used in the air (Enough to get him back onto the stage from pretty much anywhere). It seems to be meant to be used a mobility tool, and it's an insanely good one at that.

Top Bottom