• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Junior and the Koopalings Game Play Discussion

Usopp

Smash Apprentice
I can already imagine all the SDs im gonna get off stage with his dair lol

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

Full moveset
His up tilt is also a fork. I think that was the only thing missing.

Dan

Smash Lord
What is going on in his final smash? Why is that big X in the way? Is it just shadow mario going apesh*t on his opponent?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
What is going on in his final smash? Why is that big X in the way? Is it just shadow mario going apesh*t on his opponent?
Shadow Mario paints the screen, and the opponent gets hurt when it's touched.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
So after reading this thread it seems he has a little more depth than I thought he did but he's still not that great.
Still have to work harder than other characters, no real good way to score kills.

His great recovery and amazing freefall hammer don't make up for all his cons.

Mecha-Koopa is highly situational and can be used against you if you throw it out wrong.
Canonball is easy to dodge.

I love the Koopalings. ):

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
After watching a few games on ZeRo's stream, it looks like Down B has less lag when you use it in the air. Short Hop Mechakoopas incoming?

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
has anyone found any combo set ups or useful techs yet? bowser jr is one of the only 3 characters that im truly excited to play as and must know everything ;-;

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
After watching a few games on ZeRo's stream, it looks like Down B has less lag when you use it in the air. Short Hop Mechakoopas incoming?
You can actually see this in action on the video Ryan posted. They do indeed come out faster when deployed in midair.

Mechakoopa activation and recovery time on the ground
Mechakoopa activation and recovery time in the air. This part also shows you can only have one active on the stage at a time much like Diddy's banana peel.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I really love it a lot. Jr/Koopalings + Robin are the main hype-driving force for me.

DHD is a BIT of a hype killer but I'll get over it like I did with Pac-Man.

PRIZZA

Smash Rookie
NNID
PRIZZA
3DS FC
2036-7201-3400
Does anyone on this board have the game yet? I've been playing for the past two days and I wondered if anyone had any tips to share.

So far, it seems like you always want a Mecha-Koopa out. Just helps you out most of the time. I have a little trouble landing kill moves with him, but his f-air and b-air are pretty decent and his forward smash kills Wario at about 100%.

His side-b it great for closing distance on the opponent and you can jump cancel it but I forget most of the time. The cannonball is pretty good if you combine it with Mecha-Koopa for projectile spam. I also have a feeling that his fork is useful but I haven't used it much yet :(

I fought ZeRo recently and I'll post a link to gameplay footage once the stream is archived if possible. I did well the first round but lost focus by the second and he 2 stocked me haha.

Anyone have any question of comments?

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I have to ask, does ANYBODY know why Bowser Junior uses a fork in his attacks?

It's like if they gave Palutena a lasso, or Meta Knight an alarm clock. It's so out of place.

D

Deleted member

I have to ask, does ANYBODY know why Bowser Junior uses a fork in his attacks?

It's like if they gave Palutena a lasso, or Meta Knight an alarm clock. It's so out of place.
How else would he eat the giant cake that he stole from Peach?
:troll::troll::troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Nergal69

Smash Apprentice
The Mechakoopas (His Down B) look like they'll be pretty important. For those that haven't seen, he plops one out from the underside of the car, and it runs around bashing enemies and turning on the edge, then explodes kinda like a Bob-omb. He can pick them up too. Combine that with his cannonball and I think his spam game will be pretty strong.
He will be a fine addition to the villains collection. Especially considering how he's the first real one to be projectile based rather than melee based.

Nergal69

Smash Apprentice
I have a feeling that Mechakoopa + Cannonball will be a very potent edge-guarding strategy.

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Those two moves will make excellent stage control tools too. His up b can also be used as an edgeguard tool, dropping the clown car on them when they're recovering off stage.

Last edited:

Nergal69

Smash Apprentice
Those two moves will make excellent stage control tools too. His up b can also be used as an edgeguard tool, dropping the clown car on them when they're recovering off stage.
I'm only wondering how his side-B will be incorporated. Perhaps it will aid in his recovery.

Mister Green Bean

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4184-2442-5864
Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings are turning out to look pretty good. I only wish that their grab reach was longer; after all, it looks like they're using an extendable arm to grab the opponent, so I thought they would have better grab range. Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case. But with all the projectiles and great recovery options, it doesn't deter me much from playing them.

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
I was wondering if that did any damage...
When Bowser Jr./Koopaling jumps put and launched the clown copter down the resulting explosion deals high damage and knock back. While in midair, he can swing a hammer in place of his normal Bair and Fair that has some nasty knock back on it.

I may be mistaken on this, but while we already known you can pick up and throw the mechakoopa, I'm pretty you can do the same with the cannonball though this can only be done with little to no charge behind it. I'm curious if anyone wouldn't mind testing if his cannon's activation and recovery time is any different when used in midair.

Outside of speed though the setup isn't worth the lowered damage potential. You basically have to fire, dash, catch, and throw. All of which takes an eternity and leaves you open to attack. It's much quicker to just use your SH down special if you want that vertical option on a projectile.

Last edited:

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
When Bowser Jr./Koopaling jumps put and launched the clown copter down the resulting explosion deals high damage and knock back. While in midair, he can swing a hammer in place of his normal Bair and Fair that has some nasty knock back on it.
Adding to this, when bowser junior uses his recovery he can not up b again until he touches the ground, regardless if he's hit again after using his recovery. This is because he doesn't get back to the clown car until he lands on the ground. You'll have to be careful about how you recover with the up b.
Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings are turning out to look pretty good. I only wish that their grab reach was longer; after all, it looks like they're using an extendable arm to grab the opponent, so I thought they would have better grab range.
Was the range bad? It looked decent when I saw it. If they made it longer, they might've made it a tether style grab. I don't know about you guys, but I'd prefer short/medium grab range with minimal punishable lag over a tether grab that's punishable.
Then that's perfect!
Quite!

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Mecha K. even as edgeguarding tool it's still highly situational, timing needs to be perfect.
Ball is too slow, easily avoidable and on miss you have to wait for it to disappear to get another one.

Go ahead and flag me again mod just because I'm saying negative things about your favorite character.

I may be mistaken on this, but while we already known you can pick up and throw the mechakoopa, I'm pretty you can do the same with the cannonball though this can only be done with little to no charge behind it. I'm curious if anyone wouldn't mind testing if his cannon's activation and recovery time is any different when used in midair.

Outside of speed though the setup isn't worth the lowered damage potential. You basically have to fire, dash, catch, and throw. All of which takes an eternity and leaves you open to attack. It's much quicker to just use your SH down special if you want that vertical option on a projectile.
Clown doesn't do THAT much damage, the knockback is alright.

I don't think you can grab cannon ball. Would love to be proved wrong, I did it pointblank and mashed A but didn't get it. Canon doesn't charge any different in air but you can get opponents farther away with the end-arche assuming they're dumb enough to stand in the way.

The reason you just explained why cannon ball trick would be bad is the reason why the Mecha Koopa tech is bad, huge different is if you screw up slightly the Mech can run away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Mecha K. even as edgeguarding tool it's still highly situational, timing needs to be perfect.
Ball is too slow, easily avoidable and on miss you have to wait for it to disappear to get another one.

Go ahead and flag me again mod just because I'm saying negative things about your favorite character.
Sometimes the point of a projectile isn't only to hit them. Sometimes it's too limit heir options or make them move a specific way. If they're off stage, you can change their recovery route. If they're on stage, the mecha koopas and Cannon ball can virtually limit the way they move.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Apparently today was Bowser Jr. day for me. I've been having a lot of fun with him and learning some things as I go.
as mentioned utilt > utilt > aerial is an early percent combo you can get. His bair and fair (wreckingball I'll call it) are very nice aerials, bair has very little landing lag and comes out quick. fair is a bit weaker and slower seems like.

Because of the low lag you can even do things like fair > dtilt (tongue) which I remember thinking was pretty cool.

The kart is great for some quick hits and it hardly ever leaves you very vulnerable. If you mae it skid to a stop right at the enemy you'll hit them and you slide right past them. it seems to throw a lot of people off.

His B (cannon) is pretty slow and laggy but of note is that I was able to hit Charizard while he was hanging off the edge of the stage with one. Now that I think of it I don't know if it's because of its slow descent after a while or not, but iirc it hit him because of his head being above the stage. there are probably other characters this would work on if it worked on Charizard.

his upb on stage is a great option. at some percent you can catch the opponent in the explosion of the clown (which sends them upwards diagonally) and then wack them with your Koopa of choice's bair/fair (which is at this point a hammer). I got a KO this way since you're no chump out of the vehicle.

I saw it mentioned that you can fall to your death this way but i want to add that if you are launched up eventually your clown kart spawns again. It's probably on a timer, I would guess?

As theorycrafted above and mentioned, your cannon and Mecha K. are pretty awesome in conjunction with one another. I've shot cannons before and positioned the mecha k so that it turns around coming the opposite way of the cannon ball and both catch them in the middle of the stage.

also I don't believe you can grab the cannon ball.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Clown doesn't do THAT much damage, the knockback is alright.

I don't think you can grab cannon ball. Would love to be proved wrong, I did it pointblank and mashed A but didn't get it. Canon doesn't charge any different in air but you can get opponents farther away with the end-arche assuming they're dumb enough to stand in the way.

The reason you just explained why cannon ball trick would be bad is the reason why the Mecha Koopa tech is bad, huge different is if you screw up slightly the Mech can run away.
Hey, can you tell us just how different the Mecha Koopa and Cannon-ball are compared to other projectiles?
Looking at the game-play I feel like the cannon-ball can be used great after the opponent is offstage, so you can hit them or make them move to a predictable place.
Apparently today was Bowser Jr. day for me. I've been having a lot of fun with him and learning some things as I go.
as mentioned utilt > utilt > aerial is an early percent combo you can get. His bair and fair (wreckingball I'll call it) are very nice aerials, bair has very little landing lag and comes out quick. fair is a bit weaker and slower seems like.

Because of the low lag you can even do things like fair > dtilt (tongue) which I remember thinking was pretty cool.

The kart is great for some quick hits and it hardly ever leaves you very vulnerable. If you mae it skid to a stop right at the enemy you'll hit them and you slide right past them. it seems to throw a lot of people off.

His B (cannon) is pretty slow and laggy but of note is that I was able to hit Charizard while he was hanging off the edge of the stage with one. Now that I think of it I don't know if it's because of its slow descent after a while or not, but iirc it hit him because of his head being above the stage. there are probably other characters this would work on if it worked on Charizard.

his upb on stage is a great option. at some percent you can catch the opponent in the explosion of the clown (which sends them upwards diagonally) and then wack them with your Koopa of choice's bair/fair (which is at this point a hammer). I got a KO this way since you're no chump out of the vehicle.

I saw it mentioned that you can fall to your death this way but i want to add that if you are launched up eventually your clown kart spawns again. It's probably on a timer, I would guess?

As theorycrafted above and mentioned, your cannon and Mecha K. are pretty awesome in conjunction with one another. I've shot cannons before and positioned the mecha k so that it turns around coming the opposite way of the cannon ball and catches them in the middle of the stage.

also I don't believe you can grab the cannon ball.
Great info! I've seen and heard the cannon being slow but is it strong? Knockback and damage-wise.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Hey, can you tell us just how different the Mecha Koopa and Cannon-ball are compared to other projectiles?
Looking at the game-play I feel like the cannon-ball can be used great after the opponent is offstage, so you can hit them or make them move to a predictable place.

Great info! I've seen and heard the cannon being slow but is it strong? Knockback and damage-wise.
I'll go ahead and talk more about M. koopa and cannon ball too. If you've seen gameplay I'm sure you've noticed the m. koopa turns around when it reaches the end of the stage or platform. If it is untouched it will stop after ~5 seconds and blow up. You can pick it up at any point, even as it's about to blow up and it becomes defused, it blows up after a 5 or 6 seconds in your hands.
When it's rolling by itself and runs into the opponent it kind of hops in the air which pops them up and then blows up. The cannon ball is honestly pretty much something like a Samus charge beam in terms of function except you can't charge it up and then save it for later.

And yes, it's strong fully charged or even partially charged. Fully charged it's enough to KO in the early 100s (I'm going by the new electric effect that signifies a likely KO). I'm not sure how likely it is but hey it's there.
I just went into testing and it looks like 18% charged, 7% uncharged.
M. Koopa is 9% rolling with both hits, 7% thrown.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I'll go ahead and talk more about M. koopa and cannon ball too. If you've seen gameplay I'm sure you've noticed the m. koopa turns around when it reaches the end of the stage or platform. If it is untouched it will stop after ~5 seconds and blow up. You can pick it up at any point, even as it's about to blow up and it becomes defused, it blows up after a 5 or 6 seconds in your hands.
When it's rolling by itself and runs into the opponent it kind of hops in the air which pops them up and then blows up. The cannon ball is honestly pretty much something like a Samus charge beam in terms of function except you can't charge it up and then save it for later.

And yes, it's strong fully charged or even partially charged. Fully charged it's enough to KO in the early 100s (I'm going by the new electric effect that signifies a likely KO). I'm not sure how likely it is but hey it's there.
Great, thanks again! Seems like Mecha Koopa is a good tool to control the stage, or maybe a platform.
I see myself using the cannon-ball when the opponent is offstage trying to get back. By jumping and charging it you can make them recover from the lower end, and try to hit them with an aerial afterward.

Besides, the characters looks fast enough to not need to rely on projectiles.

Saltix

Smash Lord
How far do mecha-kappas travel before exploding? How is damage/knockback? Projectile priority?

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace

This information was great. Thanks a lot!

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
His double drill FS is bothering me. Particularity its disconnected hitbox. It looks like this:

Jr.safezoneDoubleDrillssafezone

Basically if someone is right up against you or just plain out of range, the move will whiff not unlike Zelda's new phantom. You see this in action multiple times in the alt skins gameplay video. Good spacing will be key when using Jr.'s FS. It's going to require smart/careful play to use this move well because it can leave you wide open to punishment when it whiffs.

First example. Here Sheik CPU walks up close and the drills miss entirely.
Second example. Pretty much the same deal.
To be pro like Sheik just casually walk through drills.

PRIZZA

Smash Rookie
NNID
PRIZZA
3DS FC
2036-7201-3400
How far do mecha-kappas travel before exploding? How is damage/knockback? Projectile priority?
They'll walk back and forth on the stage for about 2~3 seconds before exploding. If the koopa hits a player directly it'll pop both itself and the enemy up in the air and then explode for a second hit. The priority is pretty good, as they'll walk through most light projectiles. I think sometimes the projectiles can pass through them and they flash red, so maybe they have an HP of sorts. Powerful projectiles will detonate them.

It two of the hits connect with a koopa, it does 2% for the pop-up hit and then 7% for the explosion for a total of 9% damage. The knockback is decent, but nothing to write home about. Kinda pushes them out of the way for combos but not enough for kills. They're pretty good for throwing around on stage but I haven't optimized it yet. Still deciding whether or not to main Bowser Jr. haha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom