• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jungle Japes?

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Lately I've been experimenting with counterpicks other than the Jigs trump card, Mute City. At a recent tournament, my Winners Finals was against fox player that brought me to Jungle Japes after losing the first match at FD. I enjoyed the freedom of movement around the stage, the rollouts from one side the other, super thin platforms, and relative safety from ceiling kills.

Now, a rollout to ledge hop fair isn't anything from which to make a counterpick, and fox's laser camping makes the level a relatively frustrating fight, but an aggressive jigglypuff on Jungle Japes is an unusual sight and partially a mindgame in itself. The level's design gives jigglypuff the opportunity for continued airs and forcing the opponent to remain on the defensive for the majority of the match. Even the smaller platforms on the sides have thin flooring that allows for an U-air from underneath the stage, with a good chance of sheild stabbing and setting up for a 2nd u-air above the platform, not to mention Jigs can easily retreat out of harms way by pounding to a safer ledge towards the inside. She can stream a constant barrage of B-airs at opponents on either side platform from either of the main platform's edges, abusing her invincibility frames, easily allowing her to follow up with a chained WoP.

Now to be fair, this level has it's downsides. The KlapTraps are hell, and fox's shine is a *****, and the thin Horizontal boundaries take some advantage over her light weight (to name a few).

The majority of jigglypuff players won't consider Jungle Japes a counterpick at all, but with the most edges of any playable level and jigglypuff's ledge-hop invincibility frames, freedom of movement, lack of rest-combo-hindering platforms (but still one for phanna rests), and 2-3 hit WoP ko's , I find this level to be amazing.

Feel free to disect my post or discuss the level with me via aim.

aim: Truegamegenie2

Thanks

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
I personally just love this stage against fox. Mute City's low ceiling always worries me when counterpicking against him, especially since his u-tilt kills at 80% and an up-smash kills at 63%.

While I think that FD is definitively the best place to take fox, mixing it up can add some extra umph to your the matchup too :)

Malk

Smash Champion
This is a beautiful jiggly stage
incredibly far walls let you live forever - end of story

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Personally, I love Japes just for the chance to gimp people with the river. It is possible to pull a gimpy ace out your *** by lucky as all ****; I've done a back-throw to Klap-Trap combo XD It was hilarious.

...although the thin side-platforms can play as a double-edged sword; I was so pissed when Doc's down-air hit me down there through the platform. >:^(

RPK

Smash Lord
HAHAHA and the freedom to do rollout x3 Sure you might not hit them, but you end up grabbing the ledge automatically

EDIT: Nvm, you already said that >.> Well anyways, yeah, its a very nice counterpick stage =^-^d

4% APR

Smash Champion
on the far edge of the center platform you can back throw fast fallers and stage spike them, it's really hard to tech if they don't expect it

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
on the far edge of the center platform you can back throw fast fallers and stage spike them, it's really hard to tech if they don't expect it
I think that's actually what I unknowingly did, only there happened to be a Klap-Trap jumping up at that very moment to gimp my unlucky opponent. It was a Fox, I think.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
Yeah, I like this stage, but not against Samus and Falco. Falco can laser camp more effectively than Fox because his have stun, and he'll just spike you everywhere to death. Samus will missile camp the middle platform and then you'll just have a barrage of rockets coming at your face. Not fun.

Pointman Rob

Smash Journeyman
<3 <3 <3 The Japes

Its Captain Falcon Kryptonite. Foxes have a hard time too, just get them moving and harrass with down airs, eventually a golden grab opportunity will show. I personally prefer to toss over water and if they dont get ledge spiked or klapped, a dair is often enough to get em swimming. I've never taken a Marth/Falco here, cause I straight up fear the spike.

4% APR

Smash Champion
falco, isn't too bad, but the marth spike is pretty scary, getting you below platforms and stuff

Top Bottom