• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jun 6, 2014] Winston-Salem Smash Initiative (Winston Salem, NC)

TheNakedBear

Smash Rookie
Winston Salem Smash presents the first installment of the WSSI
(Winston Salem Smash Initiative)
Melee & Project M

Where: Reynolda Church Johnston Building
2200 Reynolda Road, Winston-Salem, NC

(Drive around back to the building with two athletic fields in front of it and a playground beside it. There'll also be a parking lot next to it with a Reynolda bus in the parking lot and the building itself will have a green roof)
When: June 6
Registration opens @ 5:00 & closes at 6 for PM, Melee's is open at 5 and closes at 7.
Project M starts at 6:10
Melee starts at 7:10

(We can use the building as long as needed)
Fees: NO VENUE FEE
$5 entry fee for Melee and Project M singles
(Bring Wiis and Gamecubes you'll get a snack from our snack bar, or a piece of pizza for each setup[still deciding what would be best]. systems must be presented when checking in so that we can tag your setup)

Setup Registration discount is on a first come first serve basis.
FOOD: Bring money if you want pizza- we'll order some after registration closes @ 7

Payouts (Melee & Project M singles):

1st Place- 60%
2nd Place- 30%
3rd Place- 10%

Ruleset:
Melee
General Rules
  • Game Settings: 4 Stocks, 8 Minute Time Limit, Best of 3 Games. Finals are Best of 5.
  • Items are disabled.
  • All chain grabs and infinites are legal
  • Stalling with moves such as Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned
  • Glitches such as Ice Climbers’s Freeze Glitch and Mewtwo’s Soul Stunner are banned.
  • Pause option is disabled in the game menu. If left on, accidental pausing mid match forfeits a stock.
  • You may not choose the last stage you have won on during a set, unless agreed by both players.
  • If time runs outs, the tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage. If percentage is tied, the match is fully replayed.
  • Playing as Master Hand is banned
Stage List

• Neutral Stages
    • Final Destination
    • Battlefield
    • Yoshi’s Story
    • Dream Land
    • Fountain of Dreams
    Counter-Pick Stages
    • Pokemon Stadium

Match Procedure
    • Players select their characters. Either player may choose to Blind Pick. In this case, each player secretly tells a third player their character before picking with the third player verifying their selections.
    • Players play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner chooses between selecting controller port or first Stage Strike
    • Players take turns removing stages from the Neutral Stages list above based upon the results of the previous rule. The first player to strike removes one(1) stage from the list, the second player removes two(2), and the first player then chooses from the remaining two(2) stages.
    • The players play the first match of the set
    • Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage from the full list of stages, both Neutral and Counter-Pick. Does not apply to Best of 5 sets.
    • The Losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match. Cannot choose the stage banned in the previous step, nor a stage they've already won on during this set, unless agreed.
    • The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
    • The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
    • The losing player of the preceding match may change their controller port.
    • The next match is played
    • Repeat Steps 5 through 10 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.
Project M
General Rules
  • Game Settings: 4 Stocks, 8 Minute Time Limit, Best of 3 Games. Finals are Best of 5.
  • Items are disabled.
  • Input buffer is disabled
  • Pause option is disabled in the game menu. If left on, accidental pausing mid match forfeits a stock.
  • You may not choose the last stage you have won on during a set, unless agreed by both players.
  • If time runs outs, the tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage. If percentage is tied, a 1 stock, 3 minute match is played.
  • Playing as Giga Bowser is banned
Stage List

• Neutral Stages
    • Final Destination
    • Battlefield
    • Smashville
    • Pokemon Stadium 2
    • Dreamland (64)
    • Fountain of Dreams
    • Yoshi’s Story (Melee) [Singles Only]
    • Distant Planet [Doubles Only]

Counter-Pick Stages
    • Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
    • Pokemon Stadium 1
    • Lylat Cruise
    • Wario Ware
    • Green Hill Zone
    • Skyloft
    • Skyworld
Match Procedure
    • Players select their characters. Either player may choose to Blind Pick. In this case, each player secretly tells a third player their character before picking with the third player verifying their selections.
    • Players play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner chooses between selecting controller port or second Stage Strike
    • Players take turns removing stages from the Neutral Stages list above based upon the results of the previous rule. The first player to strike removes one(1) stage from the list, the second player removes two(2), the first player removes two(2) and the second player then chooses from the remaining two(2) stages.
    • Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage from the full list of stages, both Neutral and Counter-Pick. Does not apply to Best of 5 sets.
    • The Losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match. Cannot choose the stage banned in the previous step, nor a stage they've already won on during this set, unless agreed.
    • Repeat Steps 5 through 10 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.
    • [Thank you to the smashboard's rulesets page for providing all the rules so I could just copy and paste]
We may also do a Project Melee Falcon Round Robin if enough people are interested
SEND ANY QUESTIONS TO winstonsalemsmash@gmail.com

Last edited:

TheNakedBear

Smash Rookie
I have a suggestion, start earlier.
I wish I could but I don't get off of work until around 5. Also we have the venue as long as we need so there's no time constraint on that end. I may be able to push it back a little bit closer to early evening hours and ask if I can get off a little bit early. How early would you suggest it? I also don't expect more then 30 people to show up haha but I am prepared if there's more then that.

Last edited:

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
If you're planning on hosting 2 games, and starting at around 7:30, you're gonna be running until like way into the morning. Not a condition smashers really like. Knowing this, your attendance is likely to be lacking. You want to "start" earlier so that you can actually start at 7:30, cause I don't see this starting on time. Also, don't run both games at once, that'll just make things run even later.

I know you have the venue all night, but again, late tourneys aren't usually the best condition for the general smasher. Do what you want.

TheNakedBear

Smash Rookie
If you're planning on hosting 2 games, and starting at around 7:30, you're gonna be running until like way into the morning. Not a condition smashers really like. Knowing this, your attendance is likely to be lacking. You want to "start" earlier so that you can actually start at 7:30, cause I don't see this starting on time. Also, don't run both games at once, that'll just make things run even later.

I know you have the venue all night, but again, late tourneys aren't usually the best condition for the general smasher. Do what you want.
Thanks for the input, I'll definitely be readjusting some things and have it posted by the end of this week.

AAkacia

Smash Cadet
I hope all the dude's I've met at FraZ's house are showing up. So far, that's at least 13 people. Hopefully I can get better exponentially by this weekend.

Also, I don't go to school and I work full time. This won't be changing any time soon, and I get off at 4:30 every day so if anyone in Boone, Winston-Salem and anywhere in between wants a practice partner hit me up. Netplay is where a majority of my smash time is spent, so add me on FB and we can play together there also.

uncle monty

Smash Rookie
Winston Salem Smash presents the first installment of the WSSI
(Winston Salem Smash Initiative)
Melee & Project M

Where: Reynolda Church Johnston Building
2200 Reynolda Road, Winston-Salem, NC

(Drive around back to the building with two athletic fields in front of it and a playground beside it. There'll also be a parking lot next to it with a Reynolda bus in the parking lot and the building itself will have a green roof)
When: June 6
Registration opens @ 5:30 & closes @ 7, Both tournaments begin at 7:20

(We can use the building as long as needed)
Fees: NO VENUE FEE
$5 entry fee for Melee and Project M singles
(Bring Wiis and Gamecubes you'll get 2$ off registration fee, systems must be presented when checking in so that we can tag your setup)

Setup Registration discount is on a first come first serve basis.
FOOD: Bring money if you want pizza- we'll order some after registration closes @ 7

Payouts (Melee & Project M singles):

1st Place- 60%
2nd Place- 30%
3rd Place- 10%

Ruleset:
Melee
General Rules
  • Items are disabled.
  • Stalling with moves such as Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned
  • Glitches such as Ice Climbers’s Freeze Glitch and Mewtwo’s Soul Stunner are banned.
  • If time runs outs, the tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage. If percentage is tied, the match is fully replayed.
  • Playing as Master Hand is banned
Stage List

• Neutral Stages
    • Final Destination
    • Battlefield
    • Yoshi’s Story
    • Dream Land
    • Fountain of Dreams
    Counter-Pick Stages
    • Pokemon Stadium

Match Procedure
    • Players play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner chooses between selecting controller port or first Stage Strike
    • Players take turns removing stages from the Neutral Stages list above based upon the results of the previous rule. The first player to strike removes one(1) stage from the list, the second player removes two(2), and the first player then chooses from the remaining two(2) stages.
Project M
General Rules
  • Items are disabled.
  • Input buffer is disabled
  • If time runs outs, the tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage. If percentage is tied, a 1 stock, 3 minute match is played.
  • Playing as Giga Bowser is banned
Stage List

• Neutral Stages
    • Final Destination
    • Battlefield
    • Smashville
    • Pokemon Stadium 2
    • Dreamland (64)
    • Fountain of Dreams
    • Yoshi’s Story (Melee) [Singles Only]
    • Distant Planet [Doubles Only]

Counter-Pick Stages
    • Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
    • Pokemon Stadium 1
    • Lylat Cruise
    • Wario Ware
    • Green Hill Zone
    • Skyloft
    • Skyworld
Match Procedure
    • Players play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner chooses between selecting controller port or second Stage Strike
    • Players take turns removing stages from the Neutral Stages list above based upon the results of the previous rule. The first player to strike removes one(1) stage from the list, the second player removes two(2), the first player removes two(2) and the second player then chooses from the remaining two(2) stages.
    • [Thank you to the smashboard's rulesets page for providing all the rules so I could just copy and paste]
We may also do a Project Melee Falcon Round Robin if enough people are interested
SEND ANY QUESTIONS TO winstonsalemsmash@gmail.com
Is there anyone in the winston area that would be willing to play before the event?

uncle monty

Smash Rookie
I hope all the dude's I've met at FraZ's house are showing up. So far, that's at least 13 people. Hopefully I can get better exponentially by this weekend.

Also, I don't go to school and I work full time. This won't be changing any time soon, and I get off at 4:30 every day so if anyone in Boone, Winston-Salem and anywhere in between wants a practice partner hit me up. Netplay is where a majority of my smash time is spent, so add me on FB and we can play together there also.
Haha didn't see this. Im probably the only one from boone that is gonna show up, but my friend and I would definitely wanna play.

TheNakedBear

Smash Rookie
Start times have changed and we'll be giving some sort of food ir beverage for bringing a setup. We have at least 4 setups for PM and possibly 3, definitely 2 for melee so far. So bring as many as you can and you'll get some free food or possibly a beverage!

Last edited:

Sam_the_Smasher

Smash Rookie
Is this going to be streamed? Also "Start times have changed": what are they now?

Last edited:

Frahzee

Smash Rookie
It most likely won't be streamed by any of the Winston players, because none of us have streaming setups. If anyone else brings a setup to stream, they're more than welcome to do so.

AAkacia

Smash Cadet
It most likely won't be streamed by any of the Winston players, because none of us have streaming setups. If anyone else brings a setup to stream, they're more than welcome to do so.
Yoooooo, someone bring a capture card and RGB splitters and I will bring literally everything else.

Edit: Actually, I can't really bring internet. So we'd have to rely on the church/venue having decent internet lol

Last edited:

TheNakedBear

Smash Rookie
Yoooooo, someone bring a capture card and RGB splitters and I will bring literally everything else.

Edit: Actually, I can't really bring internet. So we'd have to rely on the church/venue having decent internet lol
Dude bring it! The church wireless internet isn't that good but we can see how directly plugging in works! Also I'll check on the Fbook pages and see if anyone has those.

AAkacia

Smash Cadet
Dude bring it! The church wireless internet isn't that good but we can see how directly plugging in works! Also I'll check on the Fbook pages and see if anyone has those.
I'd have to order these online. Maybe if this becomes monthly, I'll order some and we could stream next time

TheNakedBear

Smash Rookie
Haha yeah sorry about that. Everything got pushed back, then melee kinda got shafted because of that. We're taking notes for next time.

Top Bottom