• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Jun 18, 2016] 5th Annual Spencer Kirksey Super Smash Bros Tournament (Reynoldsburg, OH)

Pablo_El_Diablo

Smash Cadet
Located in Reynoldsburg, OH
Rules WILL be changing somewhat so chill out people... It's why the event was created so early.

We're gonna have fun with this thing!
$5 entry fee per tournament.
$$$ Cash payout for the top 3 finishers in Melee and top 3 finishers in WiiU

SM4SH Rules:
Double elimination tournament
All characters available BUT 2 characters chosen before the start of the tournament, you can alternate between matches.
No items (obviously)
4 stock
8 minutes
Best of 3 throughout the entire tournament

Stages:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Town and City
Boxing Ring
Delfino Plaza
Halberd

Alternate controllers ARE allowed but you will have to bring your own. Wii nun-chucks will be available.
If a match ends with the successful use of a character’s selfdestruct move, the player that initiated the self destruct move wins the match regardless of what the results screen states. Selfdestruct moves include only Ganondorf’s SideB, King Dedede’s NeutralB, Wario’s NeutralB, and Kirby’s NeutralB.
Please label controllers that you bring to the tournament. We don’t want you losing them!
Money matches are allowed but have to be approved through me before starting.

MELEE RULES:
Double elimination tournament
All characters available BUT, 2 characters chosen before the start of the tournament, you can alternate between matches.
No items (obviously)
4 stocks
8 minutes
Best of 3 until top 8
Best of 5 in top 8

Stages:
Yoshis story
Dreamland
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams
Final destination
Pokemon Stadium

Any stage may be played on if agreed to by both competitors.
Stalling is banned.
One warning for pausing, if you do it a second time you forfeit a stock.
The winner of a match that goes to time (time out) will be determined by stocks and percentage. When the timer hits 0:00 player with the higher stock count is the winner. If both players are tied in stocks the player with the lower percentage is the winner.
Alternate or custom controllers/adapters are allowed. Please label controllers that you bring to the tournament. We don’t want you losing them!
Money matches are allowed but have to be approved through me before starting.

All rules are subject to change

Mattatari

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
MATT#715
NNID
TheSaiyanKid
3DS FC
0817-5200-0570
The facebook link isn't working. Where will this be held? Also, why 4 stocks for Smash 4?

SuperNAC

Smash Rookie
Can I make a few suggestions to your rules?
I'm a prominent Columbus Melee TO so I've been running a few tournaments lately.

Regarding Melee:

1. Best of 5 for top 8 is really cool but unless you have 60-70+ people in your tournament it's really not warranted. Bo5 is supposed to make it more clear who the better player is (not always the case) by forcing a player to win one additional time as opposed to Bo3. Logistically, Bo5 is very time consuming compared to bo3 however which means fewer matches should be played bo5 to expedite the tournament. My views on Bo5 are typically the norm for most smaller tournaments but also this: any time the players are playing for money, they can be playing bo5. In other words when you're only paying top 3 winner's finals loser's finals and grand finals should probably be bo5. Maybe winner's and loser's semi finals could be but that's your call. Instead of making all of melee top 8 best of 5, I'd suggest bringing in a bo5 in smash4 for winner's finals loser's finals and grand finals.

2. Your stage list looks like its trying to adhere to the competitive standard, which is good, but it's missing pokemon stadium. I don't know if this was an oversight or if you had a reason for omitting it but most competitive players are used to seeing it legal and are going to want it to be. Adding in the clause to be able to gentleman there simply isn't enough because anyone who players a floaty character (peach puff etc) will most certainly not gentleman there when playing against a fox, Marth etc. Pokemon Stadium should probably be a legal counter pick.

3. You should elaborate a bit more on "stalling is banned". What is considered stalling? Who gets to decide if a player is stalling? What are the punishments for such offense? There are certain types of stalling I agree are bad and should be banned (peach's wall bomber, puff's rising pound etc) but simply holding an advantageous/or dangerous position on stage (or ledge) because your opponent is afraid to approach and risk getting behind or further behind should not necessarily be punished.

4. Pausing should be a stock forfeited on first offense. Issuing a warning simply means if I'm playing an ice climbers I can probably get out of a wobble and save that stock with super grimey tactics.

5. What if a match times out, and both players are tied for stocks and percents?

6. Establishing that tournament sets take the priority over money matches is fine but I wouldn't try to regulate them too hard. Let the people play you know?

Regarding Smash4:

1. 4 stocks is going to make matches extremely long compared to the 2 stock standard and even compared to some of Columbus's 3 stock tournaments. With that the timer is usually set to 6 minutes to reflect the lower stock count.

2. I very much question your judgement on the self destruct rule... I'm just gonna leave this one alone for now.

3. WF, LF, and GF should be best of 5!

Regarding both games or general tournament info:

1. You should probably add in a section that describes stage striking for newer player who don't know about that yet.

2. Also include stage banning and how that works for the same audience.

3. And this is a big one, why is there a 2 character limit? Why can't someone play three characters in the tournament? Not only that but how do you plan on enforcing this and with what punishment? This one baffles me to end maybe I'm just reading it wrong...

4. Venue details and a schedule should be posted when they're available. This one I'll give a lot of leniency on since they may not be done yet and that's ok. Just when it is finalized be sure you let the people know!

These are just my thoughts on the matter, you may have other opinions. I'm just trying to push you guys in the way that will help get the most people out there with the most time efficient tournament. In short, I want you guys to have a great tournament! You say this is the fifth annual, so I'm assuming you've done well enough to keep running your event but some of these rules are a bit questionable. Sorry if I've rubbed you the wrong way just trying to offer help and advice! Best of luck!

Pablo_El_Diablo

Smash Cadet
Can I make a few suggestions to your rules?
I'm a prominent Columbus Melee TO so I've been running a few tournaments lately.

Regarding Melee:

1. Best of 5 for top 8 is really cool but unless you have 60-70+ people in your tournament it's really not warranted. Bo5 is supposed to make it more clear who the better player is (not always the case) by forcing a player to win one additional time as opposed to Bo3. Logistically, Bo5 is very time consuming compared to bo3 however which means fewer matches should be played bo5 to expedite the tournament. My views on Bo5 are typically the norm for most smaller tournaments but also this: any time the players are playing for money, they can be playing bo5. In other words when you're only paying top 3 winner's finals loser's finals and grand finals should probably be bo5. Maybe winner's and loser's semi finals could be but that's your call. Instead of making all of melee top 8 best of 5, I'd suggest bringing in a bo5 in smash4 for winner's finals loser's finals and grand finals.

2. Your stage list looks like its trying to adhere to the competitive standard, which is good, but it's missing pokemon stadium. I don't know if this was an oversight or if you had a reason for omitting it but most competitive players are used to seeing it legal and are going to want it to be. Adding in the clause to be able to gentleman there simply isn't enough because anyone who players a floaty character (peach puff etc) will most certainly not gentleman there when playing against a fox, Marth etc. Pokemon Stadium should probably be a legal counter pick.

3. You should elaborate a bit more on "stalling is banned". What is considered stalling? Who gets to decide if a player is stalling? What are the punishments for such offense? There are certain types of stalling I agree are bad and should be banned (peach's wall bomber, puff's rising pound etc) but simply holding an advantageous/or dangerous position on stage (or ledge) because your opponent is afraid to approach and risk getting behind or further behind should not necessarily be punished.

4. Pausing should be a stock forfeited on first offense. Issuing a warning simply means if I'm playing an ice climbers I can probably get out of a wobble and save that stock with super grimey tactics.

5. What if a match times out, and both players are tied for stocks and percents?

6. Establishing that tournament sets take the priority over money matches is fine but I wouldn't try to regulate them too hard. Let the people play you know?

Regarding Smash4:

1. 4 stocks is going to make matches extremely long compared to the 2 stock standard and even compared to some of Columbus's 3 stock tournaments. With that the timer is usually set to 6 minutes to reflect the lower stock count.

2. I very much question your judgement on the self destruct rule... I'm just gonna leave this one alone for now.

3. WF, LF, and GF should be best of 5!

Regarding both games or general tournament info:

1. You should probably add in a section that describes stage striking for newer player who don't know about that yet.

2. Also include stage banning and how that works for the same audience.

3. And this is a big one, why is there a 2 character limit? Why can't someone play three characters in the tournament? Not only that but how do you plan on enforcing this and with what punishment? This one baffles me to end maybe I'm just reading it wrong...

4. Venue details and a schedule should be posted when they're available. This one I'll give a lot of leniency on since they may not be done yet and that's ok. Just when it is finalized be sure you let the people know!

These are just my thoughts on the matter, you may have other opinions. I'm just trying to push you guys in the way that will help get the most people out there with the most time efficient tournament. In short, I want you guys to have a great tournament! You say this is the fifth annual, so I'm assuming you've done well enough to keep running your event but some of these rules are a bit questionable. Sorry if I've rubbed you the wrong way just trying to offer help and advice! Best of luck!

Thanks for the input. I create this thing 5 months in advance for that very reason. I always edit the rules several times over. Didn't take it the wrong way at all and appreciate the feed back. Stand by for changes in the coming weeks.

SuperNAC

Smash Rookie
Still not working on my end.
Also if you need any other help or advice feel free to ask. Also if you're not already, consider coming out to Shuffle or some other Columbus events that are in the University district. We're always looking to welcome more people into the competitive smash and bringing in other parts of Columbus would be a huge step in that.

Shuffle (regional tournament--big): https://www.facebook.com/events/551280695030647/

GG:EZ (monthly tournament--"medium sized"): https://www.facebook.com/events/451356958398708/

Next ROOM (weekly tournament--smallest): https://www.facebook.com/events/555579784595127/

Pablo_El_Diablo

Smash Cadet
Also if you need any other help or advice feel free to ask. Also if you're not already, consider coming out to Shuffle or some other Columbus events that are in the University district. We're always looking to welcome more people into the competitive smash and bringing in other parts of Columbus would be a huge step in that.

Shuffle (regional tournament--big): https://www.facebook.com/events/551280695030647/

GG:EZ (monthly tournament--"medium sized"): https://www.facebook.com/events/451356958398708/

Next ROOM (weekly tournament--smallest): https://www.facebook.com/events/555579784595127/

Well crap haha. Just go to Facebook and type in the name of the tournament. Should come up. That is greatly appreciated man. If you haven't already noticed, I'm still new to the competitive community.

Pablo_El_Diablo

Smash Cadet
Well crap haha. Just go to Facebook and type in the name of the tournament. Should come up. That is greatly appreciated man. If you haven't already noticed, I'm still new to the competitive community.

Currently finishing up school at Ohio Wesleyan University but I'd love to hit up one of those Donatoes events sometime

SuperNAC

Smash Rookie
Make sure your event is not set to private. if its private only people you have invited can find it. (I still havent seen it after searching...)

Kaibo

Smash Cadet
Hoping I can make it out to this! Im really trying to find sm4sh tournaments on weekends but summer will definitely work for me.

Top Bottom