• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jun 14, 2014] Smash Saturday @ Gamer's Room: Project M & Melee... (Concord, North Carolina)

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
BIG UPDATE:
Concord Mills has been confirmed to have the demo for Smash 4 playable the day of the event (June 14th) from 12-5PM. I will be there promoting our tournament, hanging out with all you guys, and of course experience the future of Smash. Be sure to make it out there cause you know you want to! However, this means I will be pushing the tournament start time to 6 PM to help accommodate. Also, If you cannot make it out there June 14th there will also be another demo Wednesday June 11th from 4PM-9PM, which I will try my best to make it out to as well.
Big thanks to TmMango for providing me with this information!

What's up guys SoulOfSmash here back to promote next months Smash tournaments at the Gamer's Room in Concord, NC. We had an excellent turn out last night much better then what I was expecting for our first really advertised tournament. With a 19 man Project M and 12 man Melee bracket I was truly blown away by the showing we got.

First off congratulations to our Project M finalist:
1st Place:
Peter (Right)
2nd Place:
Zack S. (Middle)
3rd Place:
Traz (Left)

(and myself in the background as TO if anyone cares)

and of course the Melee finalists:
1st Place:
Peter (Middle)
2nd Place:
TmMango (Left) [avenging my terrible Melee Samus playing]
3rd Place:
Apple (Right)

In my opinion the tournament went fairly smoothly for our first attempt. We had a double elimination Project M tournament with Loser's, Winner's, and Grand Final's all having best of 5 matches. However, due to time constraints we could only settle with a single elimination Melee bracket. Changes will be made for this next tournament to help with this issues.

For the next time we are going to start things a little bit earlier since I really want both Melee and PM to have their own full double elimination tournaments. We will also be starting Melee sooner this time rather then waiting until winners semifinals in PM. Also all sets except for Grand Finals will be best of 3. I will hopefully be more organized as well to help streamline the process even further.

A few more things I feel could have been handled better were the stage choices and stage striking. For some reason my Project M didn't let people press X to strike a stage, this is issue has already been fixed and will not happen again. Also some people were unaware that some stages were banned even on the first page, this was my fault for not going over all the banned stages. I plan to make this much easier to understand by implementing something similar to the Xanadu stage selection screen in my Project M.

Stage Selection:

Green-Starter/Neutral Stages

These stages are available all rounds but are the only ones available for round 1
Yellow-Counter Pick Stages
These stages are available only after round 1 is complete
Red-Banned Stages
This should be self explanatory. For most cases these stages are banned due to unfair stage hazards, gimmicks, stage transformations, size, or permeable floors (ex. Halberd).
Purple-Suspect Stages
These are stages I have added to make the previous stage more competitive (for example Spear Pillar over Saffron City) or are considered legal in some regions. These may or may not become legal depending on the feedback I receive about them. For the time being they are not legal to be picked in tournament and only available in friendlies.

Character Texture Hacks:

Texture hacks are allowed upon request, if you have a certain texture you like just let me know and I can install it for you. Now don't confuse this with a model hack, only hacks that just change the texture, aka color, of a character are allowed. Any hack that adds or removes anything from a characters model or changes the model entirely will not be allowed. For example this is my personal Samus and Armored Mewtwo texture.

(Yes, I do love the black, white, and red color scheme)

If anyone was there and wants to give me any constructive criticism please let me know. I am all ears and I want to make these tournaments the best possible experience for you guys.

Ok so now for newcomers here is what we got going on at the Gamer's Room.

Active Tournaments:

Project M Singles
Double Elimination
$10-Venue Fee
$10-Tournament

Melee Singles
Double Elimination
$10-Venue Fee
$10-Tournament Fee

If you enter both the Melee and Project M tournaments $10 will cover your entry into both. $5 will be added to each pot.

Possible Tournaments:
These are tournaments people should probably give me heads up for if you're interested in them. The general turnout is for PM and Melee singles so some of these are possible but I probably wouldn't come out just for these.

Brawl Singles
1 Stock or 3 Stock
Single or Double Elimination

Project M, Melee, or Brawl Doubles
Single or Double Elimination

Money Matches
Of course any and all money matches you guys are willing to have on any of the games, but that's all on you. You don't have to give me heads up on these just come out and do them.

Payout:
1st-60%
2nd-30%
3rd-10%

At this last tournament 1st got $57 so of course the more participants the more you have to win.

I really appreciate the turnout we had and am looking forward to next month as much as you guys are. If you are in the Charlotte/Concord or even NC area in general I hope we will soon be the place to go for competitive smash. Let's make it happen guys.

If you have any questions or need any information feel free to messages me on Smash Boards, follow Gamer's Room on
Facebook (event found here) or Twitter, or check out our website.

Last edited:

Sword

Smash Cadet
While I do very much like Project M, I like Brawl just as much. I would be fine with something like 3 stock single elimination for a SSBB tournament. I went to this venue over the weekend and I can't wait to go again!

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
While I do very much like Project M, I like Brawl just as much. I would be fine with something like 3 stock single elimination for a SSBB tournament. I went to this venue over the weekend and I can't wait to go again!
Yeah by all means man if you can get enough people out there with you to play Brawl I would be more then happy to have a side single elimination tournament. Might give me a reason to dust off the old Lucario. I'm glad you enjoyed coming out and of course I'm out there every Thursday so that's a great night to come out and practice.

Sandwyrm

Smash Rookie
I'm hoping i can make it out for the next tournament. It is the day of my graduation so i have to do some smooth talking to my parents to be able to go.

Vorosh

Smash Apprentice
I'm planning on going to this. I'm moving to Charlotte 2 days prior, so this will be my first event in NC. I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone!

Is there a facebook event for this?

Also, what is the setup situation? Do you need setups, and is there a discount for coming with full setups?

AblazedApple

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rodney.Faust
3DS FC
3823-8747-2677
I'm planning on bringing my own setup to make sure we have plenty of Wii's and games to make things run more smoothly.

Chaoslink

Smash Cadet
NNID
chaosl1nk
I'm planning on going to this. I'm moving to Charlotte 2 days prior, so this will be my first event in NC. I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone!

Also, what is the setup situation? Do you need setups, and is there a discount for coming with full setups?
There's usually enough setups over there, but you can bring one if you want, cant remember if there was a discount for bringing setups or not

There is indeed a fb event on here if you click the link for the gamers room fb page it should be right there

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman

Can't wait to see you there, yes there is a facebook event for the tournament but there isn't really any more information then can be found here. I will update the OP right after this comment. as for setups i know we will have at very least 3 setups, also i may provide a discount to the venue cost if you bring you're own setup in the future but for this event sorry.

and just a tip work on ur Zelda matchup ;)

Mjangø

Smash Rookie
The Smash 4 demo was confirmed to be playable the day of the tournament at the Concord Mills Best Buy from 12 PM to 5 PM. With the tournament currently scheduled to start at the same time the Smash 4 demo becomes unavailable, I think we should push it back so we can play as much smash 4 as possible.

The demo's also available that Wednesday from 4 PM to 9 PM as well.

T-Raz

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZartraZ
3DS FC
2062-9197-4895
Very hyped in coming back to the tournament, as well as trying out Smash 4.

Chaoslink

Smash Cadet
NNID
chaosl1nk
I'd rather not have the tournament pushed back, i dont want to end up staying too late and would actually like to participate in melee as well as pm this time

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
The Smash 4 demo was confirmed to be playable the day of the tournament at the Concord Mills Best Buy from 12 PM to 5 PM. With the tournament currently scheduled to start at the same time the Smash 4 demo becomes unavailable, I think we should push it back so we can play as much smash 4 as possible.

The demo's also available that Wednesday from 4 PM to 9 PM as well.
MANGO MY MAN!!! yes i was unaware thanks a lot for letting me know. I'll definitely be there at the Best Buy promoting the tournament and push the tournament start time to about 6. Thanks for letting me know man i'll update the OP for this :)

Last edited:

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Here's to hoping for a C. Falcon reveal before the demo.

Btw, when is the next event?

Last edited:

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
June14th, and I'm definitely with you about Falcon if he's not in this next game there's guna be ALOT of pissed off smash players lol
Thanks.

Falcon will definitely be in, not to mention there are already leaks. It's just a matter of when he will show up. Hopefully at E3.

Last edited:

NuKeRz

Smash Rookie
NNID
NuKeRz
3DS FC
1633-4243-0724
Can't wait for Saturday. I'm also planning on using a new character (who I hope will get me higher up in the tournament).

And we're definitely bringing more Wii's and possibly our GameCube to speed things up.

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
Well, you guys did come all the way out to my tournament and I do wanna check out that smash 4. If can find a ride up there I will definitely come.

Last edited:

tarmon2121

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tarmon2121
3DS FC
5000-2165-4045
Yeah by all means man if you can get enough people out there with you to play Brawl I would be more then happy to have a side single elimination tournament. Might give me a reason to dust off the old Lucario. I'm glad you enjoyed coming out and of course I'm out there every Thursday so that's a great night to come out and practice.
Yeah, I'd love to play Brawl, if there were other people coming. My game got totaled, so it would be great to be able to get back into the competitive scene.

Sword

Smash Cadet
What stages will we be playable in the tournament for Project M and Melee?

Vorosh

Smash Apprentice
Hey, so there is a conflict between this and a ReSe tournament at UNC Charlotte. I posted a topic on the FB group, and everyone said they were going to ReSe. I know its very short notice, but you might want to consider postponing this (maybe by 2 weeks?)

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
Hey, so there is a conflict between this and a ReSe tournament at UNC Charlotte. I posted a topic on the FB group, and everyone said they were going to ReSe. I know its very short notice, but you might want to consider postponing this (maybe by 2 weeks?)
Considering the fact their tournament is not even posted here on Smashboards while our event has been posted for almost a month if anything I think it would be much more respectful for them to postpone their tournament. Even if they don't I know we will still have a decent turnout not to mention I will be at the Best Buy Smash 4 demo promoting us. Thanks for the heads up but I think for future events I would appreciate more communication between myself and their tournament organizer to help with these overlaps. If you could possibly link me to his information it would be much appreciated.

Top Bottom