• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jump Shine - Demonstrational Video

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
No spiritdragon you need to do it the way he shows you cant do it any other way..

Nice Find timmy i'll be sure to perfect this and use it in real situations

Jiho

Smash Cadet
I tried this out...I guess I'm not fast enough? I keep short hopping before I can get the shine off. Any tips?

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
i think that spiritdragon is right about this.

Also i would say that it might not be necessary to jump if u try to run into it either just stop dashing before u get to the opponent (its all timing). Then again i'm not sure and if thats the case then i have a question. If u do this but sh and are slightly off the ground or on the ground does it make much of a difference?

O and lastly i'd like to remind everyone that you can change your controls on the controller meaning that u can make something else jump. For example make L jump so u can push l and shine like at around the same time.

Note: doing this action button change opens the door for many possibilities (not sure if just with fox). This makes short hop triple lasering possible without the 3rd shot causing lag.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Your method is slower, as shown in the video.......... >_>
You're doing it too slow, or too fast, and not hitting the point in which you shine to get the faster one. I've done this many times easily, it is as fast as the aerial shine once you know how to do it and understand the timing.

i think that spiritdragon is right about this.

Also i would say that it might not be necessary to jump if u try to run into it either just stop dashing before u get to the opponent (its all timing). Then again i'm not sure and if thats the case then i have a question. If u do this but sh and are slightly off the ground or on the ground does it make much of a difference?
Yea it's not necessary to jump the shine to do that combo in the video.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
yea trying out you cant dash out of the shine to be quick enough to connect for the next attack but with his kind of "shine Dash" it is possible as you can tell in the video.

Or you can prove me wrong by showing me a video of a regular shine doing that :o

Valken

Smash Apprentice
Ok ok ok. I've been doing this for a while now and I'm a little confused. I'm not noticing any difference in lag time after the shine. What it does is allows me to shine before I'm done dashing which allows for much quicker shining and I can do exactly what he does in the video. Basically I'm doing it perfect. However I still see no difference in lag time after the shine.

I think it may not make any difference on that account.

When you showed the difference in recover in your vid, I was able to get the same difference just by making sure not to crouch after each shine. I really don't think it makes any difference in recovery lag.

It's awsome though. An amazing find, but I think what makes it possible is just being able to shine before you are finished dashing, which allows you to shine quicker and makes sure you don't accidentally crouch afterwords.

This is what I think. If someone has been through what I've been through and came to different conclusion, please help me.

darkmetal505

Smash Rookie
Has anyone tried this with B-sticking, where you change your C-stick to specials? You dash and tap down on the C-stick and repeat. It seems like it is as fast as the jump cancel shine and I've been able to do it against a human player a few times but not consistently.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
yea trying out you cant dash out of the shine to be quick enough to connect for the next attack but with his kind of "shine Dash" it is possible as you can tell in the video.

Or you can prove me wrong by showing me a video of a regular shine doing that :o
Ok ok, I just recently purchased a digital camera(with recording option yes!) for traveling purposes, after I shower, I will upload a vid showing me do the faster shines with regular B'ing. Will edit once I get video uploaded, today for sure, if not, then dispel any credibility I have.

Ferdi edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90miVtwIXQ0

Sorry the quality/sound might be bad. Also, I think I might have explained some things/said some stuff wrong but whatever, I just had my sister take one video and go with it, I got lazy.

In the beginning, I said "JC shines is just shines but faster", which is what it is, what I meant to say was that JC shines isnt actually JC shines, you dont need to JC the shine at all to get the faster grounded shine.

super_bacon807

Smash Apprentice
So basically, the Jump Shine can be performed without actually jumping? And the only difference between a regular shine and the faster shine (both on the ground) is button press timing?

Hmm, that's very interesting. What should its new name be called then, since it doesn't actually require jumping?

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
So basically, the Jump Shine can be performed without actually jumping? And the only difference between a regular shine and the faster shine (both on the ground) is button press timing?

Hmm, that's very interesting. What should its new name be called then, since it doesn't actually require jumping?
Yes you are correct, speed shine? idk.

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
but i find that the "jc shine" cancels out the dash animation with much more ease...

Try it yourself you have to have started the dashing animation longer before being able to cancel in a shine that isn't jced...

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
but i find that the "jc shine" cancels out the dash animation with much more ease...

Try it yourself you have to have started the dashing animation longer before being able to cancel in a shine that isn't jced...
But what kind of application can you use it in? The shine itself pushes the enemy too far to do another smaller distance range JC shine. If you try to approach with it and aren't playing a projectile character you're left with shining in front of your enemy, perfect spacing for them to Fsmash you out. As you can see from that video at the end, as well as the one I copied, he did the bigger distance range speed shine which requires the dash to be longer to actually combo into that grab and Usmash. The only time I can see the JC shines being used is to fake someone out, by being close to them, then doing to short dash JC shine to mindgame them into Fsmashing, then punishing their lag after.

Changing my previous point, JC shines DO exist, but the speed shines are more practical to use.

ThaDirtyG

Smash Apprentice
I find the JC Shine very useful and I'm not sure that spiritdragon's technique would be as useful - not for me anyway. This is because I find myself Foxtrotting a lot during my gameplay. JC Shining allows me to shine at any point during my Foxtrotting since you can jump out of an initial dash.

That being said, Spiritdragon's discovery is very interesting and I will definitely be experimenting with it.

It's been 9 days since the North American release of Brawl. How can you possibly say that and keep a straight face?
In response to your post LysanderBlack, while the game has only been out a short while in North America, many individuals have been playing it since the Japanese release over a month ago. I know that a month still may seem like a relatively short period of time, but it is nice to have some difficult techniques to work on to improve your gameplay. That's my opinion anyway :)

Imp

Smash Apprentice
I got the jump shine down, just can't seem to get dash shine down. Usually i end up accidentally doing fspecial, wish usually means falling off the course.

ThaDirtyG

Smash Apprentice
What I did was change my button layout. I changed the Z button to special and kept B as special. I also changed X to grab in case I want to grab without shield grabbing. I had to change the way I hold the controller to do this effectively and, to be honest, it's taking a long time to become used to it.

That being said I've reached the point where if I don't have my new controller config I will screw up and my gameplay is speeding up while increasing my options in combat. It feels good!

Don't know if anyone else has been changing their config around but it's been working for me! :)

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
But what kind of application can you use it in? The shine itself pushes the enemy too far to do another smaller distance range JC shine. If you try to approach with it and aren't playing a projectile character you're left with shining in front of your enemy, perfect spacing for them to Fsmash you out. As you can see from that video at the end, as well as the one I copied, he did the bigger distance range speed shine which requires the dash to be longer to actually combo into that grab and Usmash. The only time I can see the JC shines being used is to fake someone out, by being close to them, then doing to short dash JC shine to mindgame them into Fsmashing, then punishing their lag after.

Changing my previous point, JC shines DO exist, but the speed shines are more practical to use.
But JC shines are really only more practical if you're shining against a wall like u did in the video. I was just trying to say that they do exist im not saying that there are any particular uses i can think of and i understand now that you recognize that.

ThaDirtyG

Smash Apprentice
I can see how that would lead to difficulty. By default Y should be jump which is quite easy and I would suggest you stick with that rather than R because of the ease of controlling your jump and the easy access you have to it from the A button.

I chose Z for my special because it allowed me to have my thumb on Y to jump, and already have a finger on Z ready to shine. By aggressively dashing and forward and then jumping and, almost at the same time, smacking down on the control stick and pressing Z I can do it.

That's my way anyway. See the challenge with your set-up is that you have to press R considerably further than I have to press Y to execute a jump. It does allow you to have your thumb ready on B for your special. If you like that config then it's likely just the timing that you need to practice and with enough dedication I'm sure you'll be doing it consistently in no time! (Although I would still recommend sticking to Y for jump!)

Imp

Smash Apprentice
Well, I use my middle finger for r, index for z, and thumbs for a b x y, i think my problem is in the timing

JediSange

Smash Apprentice
No, I'm not going to read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been said (I hate reading 5 pages of mindlessness)...

But setting C-stick to special and hitting down will result in a faster shine than that. However, oddly enough it will also make you jump if you tap it too fast. Little interesting find there =)

Ghost757

Smash Apprentice
im still trying to figure it out what i usually do is dash and put my index finger b and middle finger y but it has to be a little faster but it work tho

8!!!

Smash Cadet
To shed some more light on this technique, I've been testing it for a mere 15 minutes and found that you do NOT need to jump in order to make the shines go from the slow ground animation into the faster aerial shines.

To do this, all you need to do, is hold down, then press B, and press B again right before the first shine ends, and repeat. In doing this, you get the speed, and you don't even need to jump cancel it. Try it yourself. Also, the timing is different when you're hitting someone because of the longer lag, however you can still do it to someone against a wall and makes Fox's shine infinite even faster.

Point is, the technique's name and method is wrong.
You are correct.

t3hggnore

Smash Rookie
How much time do you have between the jump and the shine in order to execute this correctly? I just can't figure out how I would move my hand from the Y button to the B button quickly enough...

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Although I'm no fox main, I certainly try to keep up to date on other chars strategies so I'll know what to look for and not be surprised. I thought I'd try this out to see how easy it was, so I could judge how often it would most likely be used on me.

It pains me to say it, but it is ridiculously easy. I managed to do the 'half-azzed waveshine' thing after about 3 minutes.

=( for non fox players
=) for fox players

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
What I did was change my button layout. I changed the Z button to special and kept B as special. I also changed X to grab in case I want to grab without shield grabbing. I had to change the way I hold the controller to do this effectively and, to be honest, it's taking a long time to become used to it.

That being said I've reached the point where if I don't have my new controller config I will screw up and my gameplay is speeding up while increasing my options in combat. It feels good!

Don't know if anyone else has been changing their config around but it's been working for me! :)
OI, good idea, i've had X on block since i started on Brawl so that wasnt a big switch for me. And the Z idea works really nicely :D.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
OI, good idea, i've had X on block since i started on Brawl so that wasnt a big switch for me. And the Z idea works really nicely :D.
I found the absolute best remapping scheme for specials... *keeps it a secret*
Lets just say I don't have to change the way I hold my control at all, and I can pull of the Jumpshine, Toon links SH Double arrow, Links FH double arrow, and a plethora of other stuff with extreme ease. I just need to get used to doing it *live* instead of in training and it'll be perfect.

Slashed

Smash Cadet
Wow, Spiritdragon was right. I found the timing, and I got it. It's incredibly easy to do a perfect infinite against someone on a wall with it. My brother plays MK, and I could pin him with no trouble on a wall with 'speed shining', as it has been called. =P Cool.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
i dunno how good with timing you have to be to pull it off

but couldnt you use the pseudo-JC shine as an approach for projectile spammers?

Ice9

Smash Apprentice
People. to make this easier, just set your C-Stick to Special.. Then jump and hit down on the C-stick and BOOM, Shine.

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
I also found an easier way. If you don't hold down the joystick and instead perform the shine from it's neutral position, you can obtain the same shine speed as if spamming it in the air. Fast enough to match the beat of Final Destination. :)

EDIT: You can also do it by holding down on the joystick and tapping B as if you wanted to shorthop. It's equally as fast as the jump shine.

skuzzel

Smash Apprentice
Okay, Im very very confused.

I just want one simple answer...

If I JC one shine will my ending lag (as in, how long I have to wait before I can control fox) be reduced.

I learned this technique about a week ago and was able to JC my shines after a few mins of play, I never really noticed that much reduction of lag so I checked back here and saw spirit dragons posts.

Spirit dragon showed a way to reduce the lag of multiple shines in a row, his method did not need a jump at all. Thats fine, but showing that does not destory the possiblity of a single jump shine having an arial shine's lag.

Top Bottom