• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jump Cancellable Rapid Jab?

Would rapid jab canceling be a worthy addition?

• I'm all for it!

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I see what your getting at and it could potentially work with some tweaking.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Perhaps rapid jabs should be looked at again but not in this way.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Nah, they're fine how they are.

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Not really sure how this would play out.

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
The one thing I'd want to lift and carry over to pm from smash4 is the rapid jab finisher but for the sake of time and in the competitive spirit why not allow it to be jump cancelled on the first half of the active part of the last hit of each rapid jab cycle? This will allow players the creativity to finish a rapid jab (or not) in a variety of ways. It will also give the defending player an opportunity to plan a defense due to it's predictability combined with the offensive player's options. It will provide a creative way to handle cc for some characters and it will make rapid jabbing overall a more desirable technique to perform.

Whadya think?

EDIT: Not that it would matter that much anymore, but to be clear i never said add an actual finisher, i just meant allowing the last jab to be jump cancellable that's all.

Last edited:

Celestis

Smash Ace
I see to much abuse with this. Fox and Falco get a new option entirely. Link Rapid jab Cancel into Up B.. Oh know!!

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
Not in this way, I'd say allow Rapid Jabs to be able to be cancelled with the L or R shield button, or just leave them how they are. Don't want PM to rip off from Sm4sh when they already said "we're not implementing any features of the newest Smash Brothers game."

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
Also, them adding Smash 4's Rapid Jab Finisher would take a while due to having to rework the 3D model of every character with a Rapid Jab at all. Link, Kirby, Capt. Falcon, Fox, Falco, Mr. Game & Watch (His air pump), Diddy Kong, Pit, Mewtwo... the list goes on of 3D models they would have to change. It could take months.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
having to rework the 3D model of every character with a Rapid Jab at all.
Don't know why you believe they have to rework the character models when it's really just adding an additional animation, which regardless would still take time.

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
Don't know why you believe they have to rework the character models when it's really just adding an additional animation, which regardless would still take time.
Reworking because they'd have to make sure it's not a random end point so it's an actual SMOOTH animation. They can't have Link's Rapid Jab end at the part where he stabs downward, and then randomly is doing a forward slash. Or an uppercut slash whichever, it would have to all be smooth.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Reworking because they'd have to make sure it's not a random end point so it's an actual SMOOTH animation. They can't have Link's Rapid Jab end at the part where he stabs downward, and then randomly is doing a forward slash. Or an uppercut slash whichever, it would have to all be smooth.
That's still animation work, not model editing.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Ok i see alot of disinterest in this. No problem i'll drop it. But for the record it would require no animations. It would be cancellable by a jump meaning during the cancellable frames, they'd go directly into a jumpsquat then could do whatever they normally could with a jumpsquat.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
This could be cool if added as a gimmick for a new character, but not as a global mechanic.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
Maybe a character who can jump cancel special moves, tilts out of run and other stuffs?
A lot of special moves are already jump cancelable, but a rapid jab hasn't been done. Jump cancelable moves are pretty good, so for all 5 specials to have it would be either overpowered, or an overcentralizing gimmick.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Keep in mind that being able to jump at any time warrants the use of wavedashing, grabs, and Usmash.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Keep in mind that being able to jump at any time warrants the use of wavedashing, grabs, and Usmash.
that's why i said the first half of the last hit of the rapid jab cycle which isn't any given time and would actually require precise timing.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
no it would make shield pressure too easy. too many options, too much spam, too one-dimensional, 0 thought required.. lets leave it in turbo mode.

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Hell no its cheap and you know it.
Implying that Lucario whose entire move-set revolves around cancels is completely ok yet a simple mechanic which would allow you to cancel one move into another for characters with rapid jabs is cheap. There are plenty of aspects to this game which offer a slightly unfair advantage to the user, but that's what makes it balanced. If this isn't true then fox's shine needs to go, Mario needs not have so many easy combos, Lucas needs to get toned down, Lucario's system should get scrapped, Jigglypuff's rest should get reworked etc. Yes, there are things that are better with one character than another but that same character will suffer in another way shape or form.

I hope you don't actually think that's difficult or something lmao
It wasn't supposed to be difficult. It was just supposed to give you another option. As @ WIZRD.Pro WIZRD.Pro pointed out, this game has 1 frame inputs which at a high level of play are nothing. I would think of it being about as "difficult" as an L cancel if you'd find an L Cancel difficult.

no it would make shield pressure too easy. too many options, too much spam, too one-dimensional, 0 thought required.. lets leave it in turbo mode.
How so? If i recall correctly fox and falco's shield pressure operates in a similar manner requiring you to jc their shine into another repeatedly. Shield pressure with this mechanic would only apply if you decide to go into rapid jab. With the latest blogpost you could always ASDI out of it, or if you predict what they're gonna do react accordingly. Too many options eh? Then i guess the shine is broken and we need to remove it stat. All this affects is rapid jabs, nothing else and that's too many options?

Too much spam? How could you spam this? That's literally impossible without you either playing horribly and running into their attack or just not knowing how to deal with pressure and mashing your way out. Too one-dimensional? In what way exactly? I'm not really sure you know what one-dimensional really is in the context of smash, so please explain how this would be one-dimensional and I'll be glad to explain why this isn't one-dimensional. 0 thought required? Have you played lucario? No honestly, have you actually played as or against a good lucario?

I see to much abuse with this. Fox and Falco get a new option entirely. Link Rapid jab Cancel into Up B.. Oh know!!
They just got a DACUS. How are you responding to that?

Keep in mind if you don't know how to do any of those 3 things it won't really matter.

This could be cool if added as a gimmick for a new character, but not as a global mechanic.
It already is a gimmick for lucario.

At this point if you're discussing with me it's because you don't understand the suggestion or you're very misinformed on what this would actually do. This change isn't groundbreaking or meta shattering. It just provides another option or a tool as the PMDT like to call it. If you don't understand something or aren't completely sure what could be done with this, please just ask me or try and discuss with others as opposed to just mindlessly bashing my idea. Provide reasoning for the way you think. Otherwise your just unnecessarily clogging up the sharing of ideas. I'm not here to say my idea is the best iteration of it. I just want to see what you all think, why you think it and perhaps we can come to a conclusion about said mechanic.

I'm not sure why but a lot of people here either don't really support anything unless it's directly from the PMDT or y'all are extremely conservative. I'd like to have a decent discussion but all my opinions are getting is flamed and/or cast aside. I know i don't always make the best suggestions but by frequently spreading ideas I'm sure we can incept or even inspire some good ones in the minds of the PMDT. This is a community mod you know. Though we're not working on it, collectively we have the power to persuade them to at least attempt a change in a developer build to see how it would work. Even if any change isn't concluded i'd just be happy knowing that community input is being listened to and tested to see the viability. But apparently it's hard for a lot of you to understand that....

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Implying that Lucario whose entire move-set revolves around cancels is completely ok yet a simple mechanic which would allow you to cancel one move into another for characters with rapid jabs is cheap. There are plenty of aspects to this game which offer a slightly unfair advantage to the user, but that's what makes it balanced. If this isn't true then fox's shine needs to go, Mario needs not have so many easy combos, Lucas needs to get toned down, Lucario's system should get scrapped, Jigglypuff's rest should get reworked etc. Yes, there are things that are better with one character than another but that same character will suffer in another way shape or form.

It wasn't supposed to be difficult. It was just supposed to give you another option. As @ WIZRD.Pro WIZRD.Pro pointed out, this game has 1 frame inputs which at a high level of play are nothing. I would think of it being about as "difficult" as an L cancel if you'd find an L Cancel difficult.

How so? If i recall correctly fox and falco's shield pressure operates in a similar manner requiring you to jc their shine into another repeatedly. Shield pressure with this mechanic would only apply if you decide to go into rapid jab. With the latest blogpost you could always ASDI out of it, or if you predict what they're gonna do react accordingly. Too many options eh? Then i guess the shine is broken and we need to remove it stat. All this affects is rapid jabs, nothing else and that's too many options?

Too much spam? How could you spam this? That's literally impossible without you either playing horribly and running into their attack or just not knowing how to deal with pressure and mashing your way out. Too one-dimensional? In what way exactly? I'm not really sure you know what one-dimensional really is in the context of smash, so please explain how this would be one-dimensional and I'll be glad to explain why this isn't one-dimensional. 0 thought required? Have you played lucario? No honestly, have you actually played as or against a good lucario?

They just got a DACUS. How are you responding to that?

Keep in mind if you don't know how to do any of those 3 things it won't really matter.

It already is a gimmick for lucario.

At this point if you're discussing with me it's because you don't understand the suggestion or you're very misinformed on what this would actually do. This change isn't groundbreaking or meta shattering. It just provides another option or a tool as the PMDT like to call it. If you don't understand something or aren't completely sure what could be done with this, please just ask me or try and discuss with others as opposed to just mindlessly bashing my idea. Provide reasoning for the way you think. Otherwise your just unnecessarily clogging up the sharing of ideas. I'm not here to say my idea is the best iteration of it. I just want to see what you all think, why you think it and perhaps we can come to a conclusion about said mechanic.

I'm not sure why but a lot of people here either don't really support anything unless it's directly from the PMDT or y'all are extremely conservative. I'd like to have a decent discussion but all my opinions are getting is flamed and/or cast aside. I know i don't always make the best suggestions but by frequently spreading ideas I'm sure we can incept or even inspire some good ones in the minds of the PMDT. This is a community mod you know. Though we're not working on it, collectively we have the power to persuade them to at least attempt a change in a developer build to see how it would work. Even if any change isn't concluded i'd just be happy knowing that community input is being listened to and tested to see the viability. But apparently it's hard for a lot of you to understand that....

Falco already had a dacus, AND it hits twice when you space it right. EVERY fighting game has 1 frame inputs. "Knowing how to do" things or not always matters. It doesn't matter if YOU don't know how. It only matters that it is possible. A lot of the people that have responded to you have no idea what they're talking about, but you don't either lol. No one listens to "only PMBR". It's just extremely apparent that people of all skill levels disagrees with you because it is an ultimately pointless idea. You're just going to get shield grabbed out of it everytime lol

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Falco already had a dacus, AND it hits twice when you space it right. EVERY fighting game has 1 frame inputs. "Knowing how to do" things or not always matters. It doesn't matter if YOU don't know how. It only matters that it is possible. A lot of the people that have responded to you have no idea what they're talking about, but you don't either lol. No one listens to "only PMBR". It's just extremely apparent that people of all skill levels disagrees with you because it is an ultimately pointless idea. You're just going to get shield grabbed out of it everytime lol
Falco's dacus isn't integral to playing him properly. Of course knowing how to do things matters to those of us who can actually execute these techniques or actually care to. Yes alot of fighting games have 1 frame inputs but smash isn't a game that boasts it's tech skill requirement for playing at a high level. The appeal of smash at the competitive level has always been it's simplicity compared to other fighting games. I'm speaking to those who argue it won't be good when 1: they don't have the skill to even handle the match-up they're in in the first place and 2: they don't fully understand the situation anyhow.

I'm afraid your wrong on the no one only listens to "only PMBR". Speaking from a sociological perspective, it's much easier to fall in line or agree with a person of authority or a majority group as opposed to challenging said authority or going against the norm. Essentially, if i had proposed a 2 frame DACUS for everyone say 3 days ago, you better believe my idea would have been shot to hell and i would have received all kinds of "no's" from those who either are too uninformed to make their own opinion or those who are too ignorant to even try. Yet come 3 days when the PMDT release the blog-post, everyone would have been on their knees kissing their feet for this godly idea the likes of which no one has ever thought of or seen before. Perhaps I'm a little upset that 70% of my millions of ideas i throw out either get blatantly ignored, shot down or tossed aside without even the slightest bit of consideration, but at the end of the day the thing that I've seen that's most apparent in this community is that y'all know how to bandwagon like pros and I'd argue that's an even more toxic mindset than the likes of "brawl will always suck" or "melee master race". If you don't learn to speak for yourself or stand alone 1 against 100 then the smash community as a whole will be stuck with stagnant mindsets which will prevent new fresh ideas from replacing the ones of old.

I can't take the opinions of people of all skill levels. This is directed towards people who know their tech and are at least somewhat competitively minded. The only reason it's pointless is because to those who struggle with certain match-ups they perceive this as "Hey another way to make me lose against character x, y or z. I don't like it!" What they should be doing is trying to learn the match-up in the first place. Then after seeing something like this they'd know to say either, "I don't play a character who has a rapid jab, so i just won't comment" or "I don't get myself caught into rapid jabs so I'm not sure how this could work." Or even something positive or negative as long as they provide reason with depth.

You won't get shield grabbed out of it because if the first part of the last hit is cancellable, you can wavedash back, JC grab, up smash, JC up special or even just tomahawk away. In fox and falco's special case they can multishine out of it which if you have a problem with you'll have to take to the fox and falco boards where you can discuss the inherent issues with multishining and each of their designs if you really do feel that way.

I don't have the most popular opinion which I'm very aware of. I also know that i don't know everything you should do for every situation in PM, but what i do know is that this change is NOT big enough to make a character who isn't OP broken or to make a character with good JC options unbeatable. It's just another tool.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Implying that Lucario whose entire move-set revolves around cancels is completely ok yet a simple mechanic which would allow you to cancel one move into another for characters with rapid jabs is cheap. There are plenty of aspects to this game which offer a slightly unfair advantage to the user, but that's what makes it balanced. If this isn't true then fox's shine needs to go, Mario needs not have so many easy combos, Lucas needs to get toned down, Lucario's system should get scrapped, Jigglypuff's rest should get reworked etc. Yes, there are things that are better with one character than another but that same character will suffer in another way shape or form..
I thought you meant in general not just Lucario.

Last edited:

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Your reply is inside the quote box.

And yes i am proposing a change for any character that has a rapid jab.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord

This makes the game one dimensional, because it gives characters 0 incentive to get creative with other options that might offer a great setup at the risk of committing yourself to an approach. with your idea, the safest option always becomes, jab > rapid jab > aerial combo/grab/upsmash/up b or something similar. link would be disgustingly broken (think of rapid jab > grab or rapid jab > up b). it just makes being safe too easy and yeilds too high of a reward for what are usually characters quickest moves. jabs are usually good on shield anyways, and with the fact that you can cancel the first couple hits of standard jab combos into grabs, down tilts, smashes, or whatever else already makes them potent.

in the case of the shines, at least you have to be practically overlapping your opponent to hit with them, AND the shield pressure from shines is not perfect, and can be escaped with quick OOS or rolls. same with lucario. PM has already accounted for character designs in regards to these types of characters that sport good shield pressure, so how do you think that giving some standardized, super-safe set up to tons of other characters now will affect the game play? it would skew everything, since now certain characters that were never designed for such a thing would have this super safe set up, whereas characters without it wouldnt really have much of a way to deal with it.

think of one of the most spammed moves in smash history: the infamous pit's side b from brawl. it was removed because it was purely a defensive nuisance that required 0 thought to implement. opponent coming at you? oh i guess ill side b, ill be safe and ill hit them a few times probably. how would you like it if pit was able to cancel that move with a jump? it would take it and bassically turn it into a another MK brawl NATO, except one that could actually kill well.

-too easy to implement
-no risk for using it
-too safe on execution
-devalues a character's other options *** very important***

ONE DIMENSIONAL

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
This makes the game one dimensional, because it gives characters 0 incentive to get creative with other options that might offer a great setup at the risk of committing yourself to an approach. with your idea, the safest option always becomes, jab > rapid jab > aerial combo/grab/upsmash/up b or something similar. link would be disgustingly broken (think of rapid jab > grab or rapid jab > up b). it just makes being safe too easy and yeilds too high of a reward for what are usually characters quickest moves. jabs are usually good on shield anyways, and with the fact that you can cancel the first couple hits of standard jab combos into grabs, down tilts, smashes, or whatever else already makes them potent.
This wouldn't make the game one dimensional because if jabbing wasn't your safest option before then it won't be now. If jabbing wasn't your best option before then it could become even more important in your play but it likely won't be your best choice.The BEST option(not the safest) may perhaps be to jab the other character and take it from there in some rare cases, but that's provided you actually land the first jab. If you can't get in to land the first jab then this wouldn't even matter. Because you won't be able to get to the first jab you'll have to adapt and try other approaches/setups which may or may not work out better for you. Part of this game is learning to adapt for each situation based on what you believe may be coming your way. If i KNOW your just going to try and jab me to setup for a combo, I'm not going to let you in. Period. At that point either you'll adapt and try to find another way to mix your jab in creatively or you'll continue trying what hasn't been working and end up losing the game. Think melee IC's with this one. You know their calling card is their ability to wobble. As long as you keep them from doing that and you play decently you should be fine. If you let them have their way then they will wreck you with the mechanic. Same thing here.

With my idea jabbing won't be any safer than it already was previously. It would just offer the opportunity for even greater reward which would make it a more worthwhile option.

Now to address that same point from another perspective, even if you do land that first jab, it's not a guaranteed combo. You have to account for shield ASDI, SDI and what the other character will do once you cancel your rapid jab. If you throw out an upsmash or up special and it get's blocked, you're likely getting punished for it. If you go for an aerial, they could just buffer a roll or spot dodge. Even if the entire combo connects, it's not like your guaranteed another way in.

Link wouldn't be disgustingly broken. His jab would become much more useful, possibly the most useful out of all the characters but it wouldn't break him. Like i said before, if you let Link in and he knows what he's doing he will abuse it as long as you let him and can't figure out how to stop it.

Again, just because the first jab is safe and can lead into a pretty big combo doesn't inherently mean that it WILL happen. The defending player has plenty of options to deal with it. Just because a move is quick doesn't mean it shouldn't be rewarding. Fox's shine is a prime example. Probably his quickest move and his most useful. Bowser's down tilt is also a quick yet rewarding move.

I think you might be mixing up best and safest. Sometimes the best option isn't the safest one. Sometimes your safest option isn't your best one.

Jabs are good on shield i will agree with you there but i feel rapid jabs shouldn't be just limited to shield pressuring tools.

in the case of the shines, at least you have to be practically overlapping your opponent to hit with them, AND the shield pressure from shines is not perfect, and can be escaped with quick OOS or rolls. same with lucario. PM has already accounted for character designs in regards to these types of characters that sport good shield pressure, so how do you think that giving some standardized, super-safe set up to tons of other characters now will affect the game play? it would skew everything, since now certain characters that were never designed for such a thing would have this super safe set up, whereas characters without it wouldnt really have much of a way to deal with it.
Again, this wouldn't be a character's safest option if it wasn't already. The only thing it would skew is the matchups involving characters with rapid jabs. You'd have to account for their ability to finish their rapid jab in a number of new ways making the jab combo more frightening when you see it's full potential. If you are able to escape it, then there would be no difference here. Characters who didn't have a rapid jab would deal with it as they did before, either CC or SDI into whatever the best/safest option is at the time.

think of one of the most spammed moves in smash history: the infamous pit's side b from brawl. it was removed because it was purely a defensive nuisance that required 0 thought to implement. opponent coming at you? oh i guess ill side b, ill be safe and ill hit them a few times probably. how would you like it if pit was able to cancel that move with a jump? it would take it and bassically turn it into a another MK brawl NATO, except one that could actually kill well.
I don't play brawl as much but from my very limited knowledge i would say that Pit's side b wouldn't be as bad if the other characters had the options to handle it. If Pit could cancel it with a jump, that would make the move even more abusable not totally because of the nature of the move but because mainly no one else has the tools to deal with such a move. Look at the melee shine. The move itself is very good but by it's nature, it beats out almost all other moves only because almost no one has a move which can outright beat it.

-too easy to implement
-no risk for using it
-too safe on execution
-devalues a character's other options *** very important***

ONE DIMENSIONAL
It being easy to implement has nothing to do with the validity of it. I'm not really sure why you would say that.

There is a risk for using it just like there's a risk for using everything. If you use it incorrectly or try and spam it, you WILL get punished eventually if you're playing a decent enough player.

The execution of this requires you to get that first jab. As i said before if you can't land it then the whole thing just won't matter. Even if you do land it, it won't be your safest option because there are ways around it and depending on what you do you can lose your offensive position.

It wouldn't at all devalue a character's other options. You're seeing the increase in value for this option as a decrease in value for the others. I can see where you would make that mistake but let me tell you that all the other options a character had before would still be as valuable as they were previously. It's just this new option which would seem to be the best just because no one has really been exposed to it as of yet.

It sounds like people not liking your ideas stems from your apparent lack of game knowledge. Like, idk man. Literally almost everything in that whole post was so wrong lol.

Maybe i don't have as much game knowledge as some of the expert smashers out there but i feel i have enough to warrant a discussion. If i can't even do that it makes me wonder if people just choose not to reply because I'm somehow being toxic by encouraging the sharing of ideas. But, whether or not people like my ideas isn't the topic of discussion. That's for me to worry about and no one else to care about apparently. S'alright though. I'll keep posting until i get banned for whatever reason the mods come up with. Apologies if i'm coming off salty at any given point (Probably already have). It's just disappointing to me that most of the interaction i receive on here is negative. It's not even constructive either, it's just negativity.

Instead of saying my entire post was wrong, point out exactly what was wrong with it so i can correct myself. I'd feel bad knowing that I'm "wrong" but I'd feel even worse if you just left me in my ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom