• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jump Cancel Throwing (Sorta Guide)

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
Yes it is exactly what it well as long as I believe it is =p
Before I start I would like to state that their may be a couple of mispellings due to the fact that I am doing this on a phone .

Ok first the basic details, remember that technique where you have an item then run one way, tap up then hit the C-stick with the other and the item is thrown the other way and your still on the ground. This was demonstrated using toonlink, however, as we all know, the mojority of players play with tap jump off. Now here's the best part, Snake has a somewhat laggy jump due to his weight, now this basic technique can be inputed before snake performs he leaves the ground with either C-stick or A button.

Now for the technical part, Snake has nades (duh) where the majority of snake players run and shiled in order to throw the grenade. The thing is, when snake does this technique as a retreat (where it is most noticed) he slightly slides about his knee distance from his f-tilt. This can also be used when running foward where the dash animation is cancelled (whether you throw it forward or down, upwards is still the same) also getting a very small slide. Now you ask yourself, Beetle Juice, how is this even useful, a old technique known months ago and why bring it up, and my reasons brings two important factors:

1. Snake has a very a quick throwing animation, possibly one of the quickest which leads to my other factor.
2. YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT RIGHT AFTER, LITERALLY LIKE RIGHT AWAY, F-TILT YOUR *** OFF FOR WHAT I CARE.

Now I'm not going to bring a video out demonstating, I expect one of you yes a player of the community to demonstrate the effectiveness of this technique, and its like not even hard to do, simply grab a nade>run>buffer X-Y (whatever you jump with)> A button one direction with joystick or just use C-stick

Now for some details on effective usefulness, in case if some snake players have not known this (which most do)two nades extents one anothers hitbox as long as they are nearby the 1st nade when it explodes. Mow simply dropping a grenade and running away and use this technique (which idk if it has a name lol) and holding the other may catch your opponent off gaurd when timed right ( I believe it takes 3-4 seconds). It creats a large hitbox especially when the second nade is higher then the first.

There is also the grounded d throw nade, which can be bounced off either really high or really low. I managed to grenade juggle my opponent this way using throws and up tilt causing massive damage. Now aweome thing I found out is that when you dashcancel it and it hits your opponent ( didn't test it when shielded) the nade just lays on the ground, which may also limit your opponents options and avoidind chaingrabs such as D3, falco and IC, giving you the opportunity to put pressure on your opponent. You can be creative on your options because I don't want to go into every details and players have their own styles and tatics.

Now spacing, and important part of any metagame in smash, and how can this effect snake. First off characters like diddy and peach has glidetossing and others has their own unique techniques such as yoshi and dragonic reverse or pits wingdashing which greatly effects their own metagame. Now snakes reverse nade throw slides him which has great benefits such as examples would be:

1. Covers him from direct and arial approach with the nades such as marths fair or DB.
2. Catches opponents off gaurd (ex: up-tilt= LOL)
3. Excellent spacing tool builts distance between snake and the opponent and prevents being flanked (hit from behind) by rollers allowing snake to capitalize instead of the common f tilt lag.
4. Mindgames and nasty set ups.
5. Camping tatics to keep your opponent at distance and at bay.

Edit: vids coming soon

SuSa Edit:

Quick Edit > Advanced Edit > Title: > Change It

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
Double post

That's not the title for some reason it did that.
Title is called
New grenade info (including spacing and dash cancelling)

Can someone tell me how to fix this up some of the stuff got deleted very few though(

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
Double post

That's not the title for some reason it did that.
Title is called
New grenade info (including spacing and dash cancelling)

Can someone tell me how to fix this up some of the stuff got deleted very few though(

CouRt

Smash Cadet
its called glide tossing. and theres no lag after it no matter what character you do it with. and you can do this by rolling and pushing the c stick in the direction that you wanna throw the grenade in. then start ftilting.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
its called glide tossing. and theres no lag after it no matter what character you do it with. and you can do this by rolling and pushing the c stick in the direction that you wanna throw the grenade in. then start ftilting.
Incorrect my friend. The only difference between glide tossing and this is that this technique does not require the use on rolling at all. You can see snakes glidestossing he hardly moves as for this technique it. Snake slides more and can be done during ANY part of the dash animation and even in the beggining and it doesn't require the use of shield. This also comes out fast enough maybe even faster and it requires running also can cancel the dash and let you do whatever you want.

Also I stated on my post how to do this it is really simple and you can test it yourself and you will notice the difference (hold nade>run> jump>cstickor a and joystick)

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I apoligize for is that the title was part of the list of the end and the title of the thread is on the second (and accidently 3rd) post. Regarding to the vid, I don't have recording equipment unfortunately so I was hoping someone can record what I mean (since I did say how it was performed... twice) so that people can have a good idea what I am talking about and put it in the thread.

No this isn't a camping thread at all it's something way better and I am hoping that those that roam around the snake boards can constribute to the thread.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
*coughs* Jump Canceled Throwing (now 90% of people will fully understand you. In 3 words)

\been around for ages (but nice find if you found it yourself)
Lol I did state that it was known a long time ago but no one ever seem to know the use of it or even know that this can be inputed without the tap jump. I forgot the name of the it but it's good to remind other players because even old things can come in handy.

Oh yea Susa is there a way to change my title because I don't people to think that this is a camping thread =p

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
lol no unfortunately i don't have recording equipment i will save you the trouble and see if i can get my friend to record for me tomorow. He has the blackberry phone and it record unlike my G1 =(

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
call me noob, but how exactly is this done, I didnt really understand it from the OP?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
ok so what, you run you jump and then before you leave the ground you press A and any direction with the control stick depending on where you throw it?
is there C stick involved?

IxxI

Smash Fence
ok so what, you run you jump and then before you leave the ground you press A and any direction with the control stick depending on where you throw it?
is there C stick involved?
The c-stick depends on your preference to use it instead of A+ control stick.

I'm just telling you that I run and press x + a and the opposite direction your running with the control stick.

Top Bottom