• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Oct 6, 2015] Game Underground : Smash 4 Weeklies - WE'RE BACK AT A NEW LOCATION!... (Natick, MA)

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Update

There's no weekly this week (May 5th) either. May 12th is looking to be our first day at the new venue. I will update the title and OP as soon as the new place is settled for sure.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Game Underground Update:

There will be no weeklies this week either, so there will be NO SMASH 4 5/12. New tentative start date is MAY 19TH. We apologize for the delay.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
GU IS BACK BABY!

We are holding Smash 4 weeky again at NEW GU starting THIS TUESDAY (5/19). Still going to be on Tuesdays, still starting at 6:00, bracket still starts at 7:00. We'll be meeting at the NEW location, right in front of the NATICK MALL, located in-between California Pizza Kitchen and The Cheesecake Factory. The new address is:

Natick Mall
1245 Worcester St,
Natick, MA 01760

(Don't worry if your GPS says that this is the address for Moosejaw, that's the name of the store that GU replaced, and Google maps hasn't updated yet.)

Unfortunately, we will NOT be streaming this week, as the stream PC is still under repair. We are doing everything we can to have it ready for the following week. This means that if you want to try out for announcing or making stream assets, you have one more week.

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
Heya, is this the same weekly that used to happen in Framingham, MA?

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Signups start at 6:00 eastern, bracket starts at 7:00 eastern.

There isn't any sort of hard age limit, our average player is in the late teens - early 20s range, but we've had kids as young as 8-9 come and participate.

snakeheads

Smash Rookie
:4yoshi:
Signups start at 6:00 eastern, bracket starts at 7:00 eastern.

There isn't any sort of hard age limit, our average player is in the late teens - early 20s range, but we've had kids as young as 8-9 come and participate.
Ok thanks looking forward to coming

GP2

Smash Apprentice
So will Ryu, Roy, and/or Lucas be legal for this next tournament?

Last edited:

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Yes, Ryu, Lucas, Roy, and Patch 1.0.8 are going to be used starting tomorrow. Any console brought to be played on for tournaments will require these downloads.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Yes, the store consoles all have adapters, and pretty much everyone who brings a console has an adapter (we occasionally have 1 system without one).

WaluigiWeegeeSteel

Smash Cadet
NNID
NewerLuigi
3DS FC
1934-0873-4422
Are pro controllers allowed? Just wondering because I want to attend but do not use a Gamecube controller or have a working one.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Yes, Pro controllers are allowed, but please make sure to disconnect your controller from the console between matches so it doesn't affect other people's match. I have to make announcements about that WAY too often.

GP2

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this but will there be another monthly this month?

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
We're working out the date for the next monthly, when we have it confirmed I'll post it here, and in the Facebook Group

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
The date in the title is for the weekly, it happens every tuesday and the title updates to reflect the next date week-to-week.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
We have been using the EVO rules, after EVO we will probably switch to smashcon rules.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Announcing GAME UNDERGROUND POWER RANKINGS!

Using the magic of Microsoft's Trueskill system, we at GU are going to start collecting tournament results and combining them into an automatically generated ranking system. You'll be able to see your win/loss record, and how you rank compared to other players. The system considers attendance in your ranking (so showing up to play gets you points) and also factors in decay if you don't post scores for a long period of time.

Consider this to be a "beta" for this system. I want to gauge interest and see if players like this sort of thing. I will be adding the results from tonight (7/14), and considering that to be the end of the "season". We will be changing our ruleset at GU next week (stay tuned for a post on that), and that will also mark the beginning of a new season and a reset for the rankings.

If you want to see your personal results page, shoot me a message and I will C/P it to you (it's in a format that's a pain to bulk copy, and is huge, so I'm not gonna post the whole thing)

Note that this factors in results for GAME UNDERGROUND tournaments ONLY. This list includes all singles events since the opening of the new location in the Natick Mall, including the GU Monthly.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11MWzP7vd-vt8_fP5H3zhrdjFhxsj5Mm2jND3dAOUsmA/edit?usp=sharing

GP2

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the nagging but is there any chance that the next monthly is going to be in July? I'm just asking because my friends and I have been unable to make it to the Tuesday ones as of late and a Saturday monthly would be our only option

GP2

Smash Apprentice
Sorry I just looked at the facebook page ignore my previous post

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
^Yeah, I have been going around updating everything, but I hadn't gotten here yet.

Announcing our next Monthly: Game Underground (semi) Monthly Smash (GUMS) 2

https://www.facebook.com/events/470303549797800/

Saturday Aug 22nd, at Game Underground in the Natick Mall.

Also confirming that the ruleset will be changing NEXT WEEK (7/21/15), it has not yet been finalized, but I'll post it when it is. GUMS2 will use these new rules.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Presenting GAME UNDERGROUND RULESET for Smash 4 SEASON 2:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TvzqYntFYf1BD604wHUTiwYryI9vLDefLg5k7X1hNVs/edit?usp=sharing

Notable changes:

1. Custom Moves are now set to OFF

This was not an easy decision to make, I personally still love customs and what they provide to certain mid-low tier characters like Palutena, Ganondorf, and Charizard, but there are a couple of reasons behind the change. First off, the next major tournament after EVO is Smashcon, which is not using customs, and we have a number of players going there to compete. In order to support them we're moving our ruleset to be more in line with their tournament rules so our player can practice. This is the most pertinent reason for the change, but there is another one.

When customs were originally adopted as a format back in February, the smash community was dealing with a young metagame that was showing signs of moving in a bad direction. Diddy Kong had not reached Brawl Meta Knight levels of overuse, but his working advantage over most of the cast in terms of speed, power, and ease-of-use was obvious. At the time we were looking for a way to keep Smash 4 from going down the path of competitive Brawl, and the unique twist of customizable movesets could've provided just that. What we didn't expect however, was that Nintendo would release balance patches that not only fixed the vanilla game, but that the patches would largely NOT fix some of the more degenerate customs. As a result the vanilla metagame has stabilized significantly in the last 6 months while the customs metagame has moved more and more towards using combat strategies that are unfun to play against and not engaging to watch.

As a result of this, custom moves are being removed from our events for the time being. There may come a time where certain problematic custom moves are patched by Nintendo or the menu system to select them is made cleaner and more helpful (which is another factor in their removal), but for the time being we will be advancing without them.

2. Mii Fighters are only playable at 50/50 size and with 1111 moves

This is another change that was brought about after much deliberation. In the short term, we have a number of players preparing for Smashcon and this is the rule that Smashcon is using for Miis. Out of respect to our players that are training to go there we will be following their lead. However, after Smashcon is over we may consider allowing more Mii builds, either 1111, 2222, and 3333, or simply reinstating the EVO sets. I believe that more Mii builds than just 1111 should be allowed, but between the upcoming Smashcon and the popular vote by the community we will be restricting them to 1111 only.

If you don't like this restriction, or feel as though you've lost a character because of this decision, be vocal about it. Post here, or come talk to me at GU. After Smashcon we'll probably take a vote again, and possibly change the rules if that's what the community wants. For the next few weeks though we'll be experimenting with this more limited character.

3. Dreamland replaces Lylat Cruise in the starter stage list

This one is pretty self-explanatory, players have voiced their distaste for Lylat Cruise time and time again, so it is being moved down to the counter-pick stage list and Dreamland is getting its spot. Reminder that Dreamland is actually slightly smaller than Battlefield horizontally, and almost the same vertically, but its top platform is higher than Battlefield's, so it is a good stage to pick if you have the ability to take people off the top vertically (like ZSS)

Also note the new DLC rules, which means that consoles are REQUIRED to have Dreamland downloaded in order to be tournament legal.

These are the rules that we are going to be using going forward starting 7/21/15, including at GUMS2 on August 22nd. If you have any questions or comments feel free to leave them here or to message me directly.

Bloodcross will update the OP of this thread when he get's back from EVO.

Also, to clarify: If we do decide to change the rules on Mii Fighters as a result of a popular vote, the change will not take place until after GUMS2, so GUMS2 will be using the Mii rules as outlined in this document.

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
When does this normally end? Around what time?

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Singles bracket ends 10:00 - 10:30, friendlies go anywhere from 11:00 to 12:00 depending on how long people feel like staying.

Top Bottom