• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jul 5, 2014] The Game Den Smash Tournament (Taylorsville, Utah)

Philipp Hojnacki

Smash Cadet
The Game Den Smash Tournament
Game Den
July 5th, 2014
Taylorsville, UT

< Schedule >
The tournament begins at 6:00, feel free to arrive early for set ups.
Tournament Schedule
6:15 PM
Brawl Singles begin
7:00 PM PM Singles begin
8:00 PM Melee Singles begin

• Registration for all events and venue fee collection will start 15 minutes prior to the event.
  • Exact change is appreciated, but not necessary. Helps keep payout pools separate without too much hassle.
  • Full setups should arrive preferably before the tournament begins.
< Entry Info >

Venue Fee: $2 per person (required from all attendees)
Melee Singles: $5 per person
Brawl Singles: $5 per person
Project M Singles: $5 per person

The tournament is open to anyone and everyone! Just show up to the venue on the day of the tournament and bring the following.
What to Bring:
1. Enough cash for the events you wish to enter (see the prices above)
2. Your own controller (GameCube controller)

If you bring a full setup for any game, we will refund your $2 venue fee at the end of the tourney.
A full Melee setup is a CRT TV, GameCube, Melee disc, and fully unlocked memory card.
A full Project M setup is a CRT TV, Wii, Brawl disc, and SD card with PM v3.02.
A full Brawl setup is a CRT TV, Wii, and Brawl disc with everything unlocked.

Prizes for each individual event are distributed from the money pot as follows:

Singles
1st: 50%
2nd: 35%
3rd: 15%
< Rules >

Melee Ruleset:
We will be using the MBR Ruleset.

Project M Ruleset:
  • 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
  • Items OFF and set to NONE
  • Buffer OFF
  • All sets are best of 3, except finals which are best of 5
  • Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
  • If each player has one stock remaining and the match ends due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the player who initiated the move wins.
  • You cannot counterpick any stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
  • Gigabowser is Banned.
Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set in "122112" fashion:

1. First player strikes one stage.
  2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
  3. First player strikes the next two stages.
  4. Second player strikes one stage.
  5. Players play on remaining stage
Starters
  • Battlefield
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Final Destination
  • Smashville
  • Dreamland
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Yoshi's Story
Counterpick
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Warioware
  • Greenhill Zone
  • Skyloft
  • Skyworld
  • Dracula's Castle
After each match:
  1. Winner announces THREE stage bans, these bans lasts for 1 round.
  2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
  3. Winner chooses their character
  4. Loser chooses their character
Additional Rules:
  • Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.
  • Neutral Spawn Points: Players may elect to use neutral spawn points to decide controller ports for the first match in case of any disputes.
  • Sudden Death: If a match ends with both players dying at the exact same time resulting in Sudden Death, a 1-stock, 3:00 minute rematch will be played out on the same stage.
  • Glitches: Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Performance altering controller modifications(Turbo/Macro buttons) are not allowed.
Placings in Singles Pools are determined based on:
1. Number of sets won
2. Winning percentage in games (win/loss ratio)
3. Head-to-head winner
Code of Conduct:
  • All ejections or disqualifications due to violations of the Code of Conduct or individual game rules will be without refund.
  • No alcohol or illegal substances inside the venue. Getting caught with these items or evidence of the presence of these items will result in disqualification from the event and eviction from the venue.
  • No fighting or weaponry inside the venue. Throwing controllers or acting in a way that could pose a danger to other players will result in disqualification from the event and eviction from the venue.
  • No refusal to play on certain TVs or setups will be tolerated barring extreme circumstances. All players agree to have their matches recorded if requested by the TO.
  • Be on time to your match. You have 5 minutes from when it's called to be at your station or you forfeit the first game. If you are 10 minutes late you forfeit the match and are either out or in losers.
Collusion (Pot splitting, bracket rigging, etc):
I don't tolerate collusion of any kind. I don't want to hear it. I don't want to see it. I don't make money off this event. I give up my Saturday to run this event. I do this because I want the San Antonio and surrounding scenes to have another tournament to go to. If you are strapped for time come talk to me. We can work something out.

In the case that 2 or more placing players are caught colluding, prize money will be redistributed to the next qualifying tier of players. This will be a pain for everyone involved. Don't do this.

Brawl Ruleset:
  • Game Settings: 3 Stocks, 8 Minute Time Limit, Best of 3 Games. Finals are Best of 5.
  • Items are disabled.
  • Meta Knight’s infinite dimensional cape tactic is banned.
  • All other chain grabs and infinites are legal
  • There is a 35 Ledge Grab Limit for all characters. If a game goes to time and one player is over the Ledge Grab Limit, they automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
  • The act of stalling is banned and constitutes intentionally making the game unplayable. Examples include becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterrupted moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Pause option is disabled in the game menu. If left on, accidental pausing mid match forfeits a stock.
  • You may not choose the last stage you have won on during a set, unless agreed by both players.
  • If time runs outs and ledge grabs do not determine a winner, the tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage.
  • If the match ends with both players dying at the same time coincidentally, or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For this tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 15 is used for all characters.
  • If a match is ended via suicide move, the initiator of the move wins.
  • Coaching is not allowed during a match

• Stage List
    Neutral Stages
    • Battlefield
    • Final Destination
    • Lylat Cruise
    • Smashville
    • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counter-Pick Stages
    • Battleship Halberd
    • Pokemon Stadium 1
    • Castle Siege

Match Procedure
    • Players select their characters. Either player may choose to Blind Pick. In this case, each player secretly tells a third player their character before picking with the third player verifying their selections.
    • Players play Rock-Paper-Scissors. Winner chooses between selecting controller port or first Stage Strike
    • Players take turns removing stages from the Neutral Stages list above based upon the results of the previous rule. The first player to strike removes one(1) stage from the list, the second player removes two(2), and the first player then chooses from the remaining two(2) stages.
    • The players play the first match of the set
    • Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage from the full list of stages, both Neutral and Counter-Pick. This ban is only chosen one and lasts for the entire set.
    • The Losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match. Cannot choose the stage banned in the previous step, nor a stage they've already won on during this set, unless agreed.
    • The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
    • The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
    • The losing player of the preceding match may change their controller port.
    • The next match is played
    • Repeat Steps 5 through 10 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

WE NEED PEOPLE TO BRING TVS and Setups!!!!!!

I can only provide a couple TVs to start with, so it's up to the rest of the community to bring more and make the event easier to run. More setups means more friendlies and more playing time, so please do your part if you have equipment to lend us for the day. Remember, if you bring a full setup, we will refund your $2 venue fee at the end of the tourney.

Last edited:

Philipp Hojnacki

Smash Cadet
Ya we know it'll take longer than an hour each, we just hope by the time melee has been playing for an hour, there will be less players in the tourney and more setups for the next event.

Philipp Hojnacki

Smash Cadet
Edit: we have decided to move around the melee, PM, and brawl times. Rumor has it PM and brawl take longer so it would be best to start those first. Times will be the same but we are going to start with Brawl at 6:15, then PM at 7, and lastly Smash at 8.

Roguay

Smash Journeyman
I can tell you right now there is no way that this tournament will finish by midnight unless we have A TON of tournament TV's.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I'll mess around with set ups. I'll be bringing two full set ups (BenQ monitors, haven't had any complaints about lag from them). I have a ton of Wii's discs and such, so I can bring those probably, but you should probably have done who's bringing what set ups

Philipp Hojnacki

Smash Cadet
I can tell you right now there is no way that this tournament will finish by midnight unless we have A TON of tournament TV's.
I think we will have enough TVs.

I'll mess around with set ups. I'll be bringing two full set ups (BenQ monitors, haven't had any complaints about lag from them). I have a ton of Wii's discs and such, so I can bring those probably, but you should probably have done who's bringing what set ups
Thanks! Any set ups are greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom