• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jul 26, 2014] Gameguys' Intergalactic Kegger feat. Armada, M2k, Zero, Texas'... (pasadena, tx)

oscarmalherbe

Smash Cadet
I am excited to announce what will hopefully be, Houston's biggest and most talked about tournament of the year! Gameguys Intergalactic Kegger! Houston just had whobo, the mlg qualifier hosted by xyro and airbrushking, and it garnered about 200 entrants. I'm expecting this tournament to almost double that! We will have a 1500$ pot bonus split evenly between all four games, however melee singles and pm singles will have slightly more due to our fundraising weeklies which include melee and pm singles every friday. They can be seen on twitch.tv/houstongameguys4 and twitch.tv/houstongameguys3 starting at 8:00. One is pm and the other melee.
You can register here: https://www.game-guys.com/registration.html
Official Facebook Page:
Food: There is a taco bell, jack in the box, dairy queen and mcdonalds about 5 minutes driving from the venue.
However, El Limon taco truck will be in attendance for Saturday of the tournament and if business is good he will return Sunday, so support the food truck and the food truck shall support you!

HOUSING/HOTELS:
La Quinta-713-475-2205 (Closest to the venue and second best) Mention Gameguys' special for special discounted rate! They offer fridge micro full breakfast.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/2111 Pasadena Blvd, Pasadena, TX 77502/2205 Pasadena Fwy, Pasadena, TX 77506/@29.69789,-95.2006058,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x86409880c5d6811b:0xac782d5b7d96b21!2m2!1d-95.1831969!2d29.6829375!1m5!1m1!1s0x8640a25fa409348f:0x75186e1d0d6cb8b!2m2!1d-95.1833963!2d29.7136467!3e2

That is the map for walking from la quinta to the venue. It is about a 45 minute walk and a 9 minute drive.

Hampton Inn-281-998-3300

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/2111 Pasadena Blvd, Pasadena, TX 77502/4741 East Sam Houston Pkwy S, Pasadena, TX 77505/@29.6605999,-95.1864847,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x86409880c5d6811b:0xac782d5b7d96b21!2m2!1d-95.1831969!2d29.6829375!1m5!1m1!1s0x86409921133b34d3:0xffbff9b9fea7729a!2m2!1d-95.1605979!2d29.63819!3e2

That is the map from the Hampton to the venue. It is about an hour and a half walk and 11 minute drive.

Super 8 -281-487-8882
(second closest and cheapest) Mention Gameguys' special for discounted rate

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/2111 Pasadena Blvd, Pasadena, TX 77502/5400 Vista Rd, Pasadena, TX 77505/@29.6713518,-95.1792347,15z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x86409880c5d6811b:0xac782d5b7d96b21!2m2!1d-95.1831969!2d29.6829375!1m5!1m1!1s0x864098c4797cdf9f:0x999de6f2c32469c6!2m2!1d-95.158531!2d29.657492!3e2
That is the map from the super 8 to the venue. It is about an hour walk and an 8 minute drive.

Airports:
Hobby airport is literally 20 minutes away from the venue. If you are coming in by air, then i would HIGHLY suggest using this airport. The airport code is HOU.

George Bush airport is 40 minutes away from the venue but also farther away from the majority of everyone. This airport code is IAH, however I would HIGHLY suggest you try and get HOU for the houston drivers that will most likely pick you ups' convenience.
TO's:

Matthew Chan-Melee
Austin Weidman- P:M
Malcolm Knowles- P:M
Oscar Malherbe-P:M & Melee
Preston Smith- Melee
James tang- melee
Events and pricing:

Venue: $25
Project M Singles: $10
Project M Doubles: $10 per person
Melee Singles: $10
Melee Doubles: $10 per person

Schedule:
Melee doubles & singles
Saturday:
10 AM-12PM Registration for all games
1 PM 4PM- Melee singles pools wave 1, Project M singles pools wave 1
4PM-7 PM- melee singles pools wave 2, project M singles pools wave 2
7PM-11PM- Melee doubles bracket & project M doubles bracket begins
Sunday:
10 AM- 2 PM- Melee Top 32 & project M top 32
2PM-6PM-Melee doubles top 32 & project M top 32
4PM- 12 AM All top 8

Payouts:
Pm and Melee Singles- Top 8
1.45%
2.20%
3.10%
4.7.5%
5.5%
5.5%
7.3.75%
7.3.75%
Pm and Melee Doubles- Top 6
1.55%
2.25%
3.10%
4.5%
5.2.5%
5.2.5%

Player Cap: We are thinking about capping the attendance to this between 300-400 players. Soon to be announced. Once cap is reached. You will not be able to compete. Just spectate. So register! Online registration will be announced very very shortly. register here- www.game-guys.com/registration

P:M ruleset:
* 4 stock, 8 minutes.

* Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.

* Items set to “off” and “none.”

* Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.

* Dave’s Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick any stage he won on in a set.

* Controller port is determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can’t be agreed upon. For doubles, the controller ports must be 1-2-2-1.

* For doubles, Team Attack is on and life stealing is allowed. Remember that Attack+Special, not the Pause button, is used to steal lives.

* Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.

* Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the quitter.

* If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.

* If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon’s side-B, Kirby/DDD’s swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.

* Buffer set to off.

* Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.

* Custom music is allowed as long as it’s not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the official team color textures are not.

* If you want to use your own SD card, a TO must overwrite the important game files (not music) in order to make sure there are no modifications. If you are caught cheating with modified game files, you will be immediately DQed without refund and banned from future events.

* In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO’s discretion.

* No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs’ Rising Pound and Mario’s Up-B Walljump)

* No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn’t hold up the next match.

* Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.

* Giga Bowser is banned.

Stagelist:

For the 1st match, stage strike the starter list in 1-2-2-1 fashion. After each match, the winner of the previous match bans 3 stages (Players may counterpick a stage that they previously banned in the set, but may not counterpick a stage on which they won). The player who lost the previous match chooses a stage, then the player who won chooses their character, then the player who lost chooses their character.

Starter Stages Singles:

Yoshi's Story
Fountain Of Dreams
Dreamland 64
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Battlefield
Final Destination

Counterpick Stages Singles:
Green Hill Zone
Warioware
Skyworld
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Distant Planet
Dracula's Castle

Melee Ruleset:
Singles Stage List
Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • Pokemon Stadium
Doubles Stage List
Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • DK 64
General Rules
  • Items are set to off
  • Stock and time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively
  • Wobbling is legal. Wobbling past 250% will be considered stalling and is not allowed.
  • Double Blind: If elected
  • Contest Port Priority: If elected
  • Neutral Start: If elected
  • DSR: You cannot counter pick to any stage you have won on ever.
  • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR. Players may NOT agree to change the number of matches to be played.
  • Forced Character Selection: Off
  • Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count. A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on. This includes the first match won via stage striking.
  • Pausing the game shall only be legal while either player remains upon their OWN respawn platform, and only for the purpose of summoning a tournament official or in the case of a controller malfunction. All other pauses will incur a stock loss to the player who pauses the game.
  • Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a possible ejection from the venue.
  • Players are to attend their matches at the designated times they are called. If you are late to a match, the following rules will be applied based on the amount of time:
    • If you are 5 minutes late: Results in a match loss
    • If you are 10 minutes late: Results in a set loss
    • These times will be strictly enforced to make sure that each player will enjoy the full event on a timely manner.
Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Team Attack: ON
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.
How to Play a Set
  1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind
  2. Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage
  3. The players play the first match of the set
    Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start. Note: Only one of these two may be used, as both have a built in Port Selection mechanism using RPS. If there is a situation where a player would like to change which option they elected after playing the game of RPS, it is the opponent’s choice to allow it. The results from the previously played game of RPS will carry over.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
    For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
    For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.
  5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  7. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
  9. The next match is played.
  10. Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.
Term Definitions
    • Double Blind: Either player may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each of player’s choices for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word.
    • Contest Port Priority: If an agreement cannot be made as to who gets what port, the players may enact a best of 1 game of Rock Paper Scissors. Winner gets their port selection, loser selects any other port.
    • Neutral Start: Either player may enact this rule. Once enacted, both players may only use one of the two “Neutral Starting Positions”. A best of one game of Rock Paper Scissors may be used to determine who gets the higher port. If one player elects to Contest Port Priority and the other elects to Neutral Start, Neutral Start takes priority.
      • DSR: A player/team may not pick any stage they previously won on.
      • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR. Players may NOT agree to change the number of matches to be played.
      • Forced Character Selection: The losing player once had the option to select Random Stage as their counterpick and remove the option to change characters from the winner of the previous round. This is no longer legal. If a player wishes to select Random Stage as their counterpick, the winner of the previous round may choose to change their character.
      • Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter/Neutral list until there is one stage remaining.
        Players strike stages in this order:

Disqualification: Players will be disqualified if they cannot make it their match within 10 minutes. NO QUESTIONS. NO ARGUING. Don't leave the venue if you might have a match within the next ten minutes. We have a P.A. system so hearing your match will not be a problem.

Registration will end: July 22nd, 2014 and all other spots available will be given to first come first serve at the door TO REGISTER ONLINE GO TO https://www.game-guys.com/registration.html

-NO UNDERAGE DRINKING WHATSOEVER. The venue is for all ages, but there will be very strict and harsh punishments for any participants who break this rule. Do not test us. Bring an ID to drink.

-DRINK RESPONSIBLY. Belligerent persons will be kicked out and barred reentry. DO NOT DRIVE DRUNK. Have a designated driver set up.

Streams- Project melee twitch.tv/houstongameguys2
Melee- twitch.tv/houstongameguys and twitch.tv/texasmelee

PS- If there is anything I haven't covered, pm me or facebook message me @ Alexandro Malherbe or @ gameguys pasadena thank you everyone and I hope to see ya'll busters here for a darn good Texas time!

Last edited:

BLOCKHEAD

Smash Rookie
NNID
nosepass
3DS FC
2079-7025-3330
alcohol & smash?! I. Must. Attend.

MT_

Smash Ace
Schedule? Exact payouts? Distribution of pot bonus? Ruleset? Schedule? Stream? Schedule? List of TOs? Schedule? Name of the taco truck? Schedule?

Schedule?

Also lol @ the player cap.

Sounds pretty hype tho

oscarmalherbe

Smash Cadet
Mt_ you're always a pain but i guess it's for the better. All that stuff will be posted soon. Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

HodgyDot

Smash Apprentice
Schedule? Exact payouts? Distribution of pot bonus? Ruleset? Schedule? Stream? Schedule? List of TOs? Schedule? Name of the taco truck? Schedule?

Schedule?

Also lol @ the player cap.

Sounds pretty hype tho
Why you gonna act like you wont show up anyways? :p

MT_

Smash Ace
I'm planning to show up to this. Just trying to help my buddy out since I don't think he's run anything BIG before.

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Oscar you said Armada is coming to this right? If so you should get him to rsvp and then put that he's coming in the title, cause that will definitely draw in some competition.

forkgirl

Smash Lord
Is there a reason for penalizing accidental pausing instead of just turning the pause option off? I've been out of the scene for a few years and so much has changed, so I was curious.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
why is this not getting hype?!?!

P4K EMP | ARMADA
P4K EMP | MEW2KING
GAMEGUYS | MOJO
TIRNO
JOS | MT
APOLLOGAMES | ARC
BOOMSTICK
CT NLOC | DENTI
JAKE13
JF
TUESDAY

With HQ Stream by Noc

Get. Hype. Son.

edit: P:M is there too so @ Sethlon Sethlon had better show up or else he's a buster.

Last edited:

Skunks

Smash Rookie
NNID
Skunks
I'll see if I have anything planned, it would be hard not going to this since it's so close to where I live.

TheFoolishPhilosopher

Smash Cadet
Wait a second. The schedule changed within the past couple of days. Melee and PM aren't separated by days anymore.
Is there any way we could choose our pool wave? I have a commitment for a couple of hours on Saturday.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
Wow, busters gonna bust.
This is almost like the time that San Antonio had 2 1/2 carpools for dime 8, but then only around 4-5 people actually showed up.

Noc

Smash Journeyman

52pickup

Smash Cadet
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?action_edit=1&list=PLJ_fmBeIteWcZVKXOcLYU7sjn4FTPJHLF - contains all tournament sets from the TexasMelee stream.
It doesn't tho. Are you (or whoever) planning to upload other sets from the stream? Sorry, I just noticed that some of the tournament sets in pools that I played (and some other sets I saw on stream) aren't on Youtube. :p

I realize that you might not want to upload matches of small fries who aren't that experienced or known, but I'd like to watch some of my matches on YouTube without going to twitch and skipping to my time I played (+twitch playbacks lag my computer so the stream's really choppy for me). Also if I simply wanted to share my matches I wouldn't want them to skip ahead either.

Last edited:

MT_

Smash Ace
It doesn't tho. Are you (or whoever) planning to upload other sets from the stream? Sorry, I just noticed that some of the tournament sets in pools that I played (and some other sets I saw on stream) aren't on Youtube. :p

I realize that you might not want to upload matches of small fries who aren't that experienced or known, but I'd like to watch some of my matches on YouTube without going to twitch and skipping to my time I played (+twitch playbacks lag my computer so the stream's really choppy for me). Also if I simply wanted to share my matches I wouldn't want them to skip ahead either.
Clay (Noc) doesn't run the HoustonGameGuys stream (the main stream) and only has authorization/rights to upload things from his own stream (TexasMelee). It does indeed contain all the sets from the TexasMelee stream but it does not contain sets from the other stream. You'll have to direct that request to the guys at GameGuys.

Clay always uploads everything even for small fries because he loves the community so much. He's done all he can already!

Last edited:

52pickup

Smash Cadet
Clay (Noc) doesn't run the HoustonGameGuys stream (the main stream) and only has authorization/rights to upload things from his own stream (TexasMelee). It does indeed contain all the sets from the TexasMelee stream but it does not contain sets from the other stream. You'll have to direct that request to the guys at GameGuys.

Clay always uploads everything even for small fries because he loves the community so much. He's done all he can already!
Ah! Ok, thanks for clarifying. I was (am still a little atm...) confused, though, since my matches were in one of the VODs on this channel: http://www.twitch.tv/texasmelee/profile/past_broadcasts , so I thought...Texas Melee. But none of matches in the VOD that I was talking about are on Youtube so I guess just something weird is up with that.

Last edited:

MT_

Smash Ace
Ah! Ok, thanks for clarifying. I was (am still a little atm...) confused, though, since my matches were in one of the VODs on this channel: http://www.twitch.tv/texasmelee/profile/past_broadcasts , so I thought...Texas Melee. But none of matches in the VOD that I was talking about are on Youtube so I guess just something weird is up with that.
Well it is possible that Clay missed them. He definitely wouldn't have left them off of YouTube intentionally. I'll let Clay answer, but I do know (as someone who has also uploaded videos) that a timestamp to the matches in question helps tremendously.

Last edited:
Top Bottom