• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canada [Jul 26, 2014] B.C. Brawl Monthlies - Back in business, now featuring Smash 64! (Burnaby, BC)

Arcansi

Smash Champion
I strongly disagree with the 40 ledge grab limit

nobody here has ever had a problem with edge grabs as an intentional stalling tactic, but if we're using apex still then I guess we gotta use it all.
>Statement.

>Anecdotal evidence as only piece of reasoning.

I mean, really?

I suppose if I was to oppose you (in a legitimate argument of this nature, not this situation) you would tell my my points don't matter due to my not being able to attend your tournaments.

Captain L

Smash Champion
> ledgegrabs are good

> I got like 49 ledgegrabs once and I wasn't even stalling

yes really

your points don't matter due to not being able to attend our tournaments

SKidd

Smash Master
Welcome to BC Brawl, where everything's made up and the points don't matter.

:phone:

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I am for a ledge grab limit.

It's one thing to say that you got 40 ledge grabs and weren't stalling at all the entire game. It's another thing to have 10 ledge grabs at 1 minute left, a slight damage lead, and plank the rest of the game away.

Also, losing due to too many ledge grabs only applies if the game goes to time. If someone has 69 ledge grabs, but the game does not go to time, then they don't lose the game.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
We should add Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar.

Why? Because they're fun stages. It's as logical as liking ponies.

Captain L

Smash Champion
I just don't like the idea of having a slight lead late in a match where I've already used 41 or so ledge grabs, and then knowing that even though I should be able to just stay back and play safe until my opponent makes a mistake I have to go in.

This all being said, I would be more in favour of 10 minutes 40 ledge grabs, as opposed to 8 minutes 40 ledge grabs. It's not about the timeouts, it's about me being bad at approaching, especially in high pressure situations. If I am ahead in percent I shouldn't be the one who has to approach.

Captain L

Smash Champion
one more thing I'd like to expand on

sometimes it seems like I go into matches having the midset of wanting to time my opponent out. This is actually very VERY rarely my mindset. My actual thoughts are that I'm just going to play ridiculously safe, which can sometimes make each stock last 3 or 4 minutes. Against Dawson if there was no timer at all I'd feel like I actually have a slightly better chance, because the clock is almost always against me. Yes, sometimes against him I obviously do try to time him out (why... just why) but as a whole I think that if the time limit was just nonexistent or arbitrarily high, I would be able to think more carefully and play a better game as a whole.

Lastly this post might have contradicted what I've said in the past, but my way of thinking about brawl might have also changed so please nobody go dig up a post about me being opposed to a 10 minute timer. At this point I would love 10 (or even more) minutes, and if that happened I wouldn't care at all about the ledge grab limit.

The goal of a timer should, in my opinion, be one that is too high to matter, yet there so that we don't get a repeat of crew battles: curfew edition

Finally, I would like to say that adding extra time to the clock would have virtually no impact on tournament times. In fact it could potentially make tournaments faster as long as nobody goes out of their way to prove a point or something. If a match is at 7 minutes in, right now somebody might potentially stall the last minute away just for kicks (Jason) but if 7 minutes in meant another 5 minutes remaining it could potentially come to a natural end within 30 seconds.

Captain L

Smash Champion
there is a lot to be said for using an established ruleset that will be used at (what I believe is) the largest and most important annual tournament in the world.

super proud of apex for not banning mk

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Why are Brawl players so against going in? Personally, I'm trying to improve my "going in" game because defending and running away is super boring.

Timing people out is kinda lame too.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
We should add Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar.

Why? Because they're fun stages. It's as logical as liking ponies.

I should do this because I like it. Logical. Check.

Other people should do this because I like it. Illogical. X.

I just don't like the idea of having a slight lead late in a match where I've already used 41 or so ledge grabs, and then knowing that even though I should be able to just stay back and play safe until my opponent makes a mistake I have to go in.
If you've used 41 ledge grabs in a normal match you're just playing badly.

The ledge is a corner (e.g. a bad spot. Except when you're planking, but planking is discouraged and if you are there's the LGL.) and you would have to be on the ledge more than once every 12 seconds to get over 40 ledge grabs in an 8 minute game.

This all being said, I would be more in favour of 10 minutes 40 ledge grabs, as opposed to 8 minutes 40 ledge grabs. It's not about the timeouts, it's about me being bad at approaching, especially in high pressure situations. If I am ahead in percent I shouldn't be the one who has to approach.
If you are ahead in percent why are you on the ledge more than once every 12 seconds?

The goal of a timer should, in my opinion, be one that is too high to matter, yet there so that we don't get a repeat of crew battles: curfew edition
Pretty much.

Finally, I would like to say that adding extra time to the clock would have virtually no impact on tournament times. In fact it could potentially make tournaments faster as long as nobody goes out of their way to prove a point or something. If a match is at 7 minutes in, right now somebody might potentially stall the last minute away just for kicks (Jason) but if 7 minutes in meant another 5 minutes remaining it could potentially come to a natural end within 30 seconds.
This isn't logical at all. Your argument is fundamentally random, and excludes matches where neither player wants to approach, or some such thing.

Why are Brawl players so against going in? Personally, I'm trying to improve my "going in" game because defending and running away is super boring.

Timing people out is kinda lame too.
People are against going in because on the surface it's a viable strategy to not do so, and it's the best strategy to not do so while ahead.

Timing people out is competitive, unfortunately.

SKidd

Smash Master
If you've used 41 ledge grabs in a normal match you're just playing badly.

If you are ahead in percent why are you on the ledge more than once every 12 seconds?

Timing people out is competitive, unfortunately.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Ohh Wreck It Ralph is so good. Jane Lynch<3

Also, I bought the new Paper Mario game on Sunday. Barely played it because it's terrible. Not fun and gets dull easily with little to no direction as to what to even do. Also, I'm pretty stingy. I actually have to waste a sticker to take away a Goomba's last HP? Eugh.

T-block

B2B TST
It's competitive, but not as an all-game strategy.

Should the match suddenly be at 1 minute left and you have 10 edgegrabs and are ahead?

Timing out is totally competitive here.
sounds like an arbitrary definition of competition

Ohh Wreck It Ralph is so good. Jane Lynch<3
sounds like someone has the honeyglows something awful~

Arcansi

Smash Champion
sounds like an arbitrary definition of competition
Nope. I'm using the generally accepted definition of 'competitive' (not competition, fundamentally different.) More depth = more competitive, as long as the depth doesn't take away fundamental parts of accessability, basically.

arcansi what are your thoughts on sharking as a strategy
If your opponent cant counter it they're either bad or your MK. In either situation the community has deemed it acceptable and I find it more or less okay.

I mean, I don't like mk legal, but that's different.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Jake, how about after singles, we have Lupper/Lunner? ...Unless you need to be there to supervise other things?

We could have Pho but that's not as fun as say Hot Pot, KBBQ, or Sushi (as always). Asian food is the only thing we ever eat... hope you guys can bear it.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
There is this new Hot Pot place that just opened weeks ago across from Metrotown (minutes away from the venue). I'm unsure of the prices and how good it actually is though. I'd love to try it out.

Wow Jason you've never tried KBBQ? Also, traditional Korean is quite good and is sadly overshadowed by KBBQ for whatever reason.

Once HST is abolished, the cost of going out to eat will drop. <3

T-block

B2B TST
hot pot is a long ordeal though... i wouldn't want to go unless we had like... 1.5 hours, so it might not be ideal for in-between events

if we're super late, i know The One is open until 2am, and it's really close to the venue... idk what else would be open past like... 11.

SKidd

Smash Master
SKidd has never had a broad horizon of foods, but is open to trying new things.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Keep in mind that during downtime between events, I'm looking for people that forgot to register, then making pools/brackets for the next event. I can't be disappearing between events to go out and eat...

:005:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Aw that's a shame Jake.

Sheldon come eat with us! It's as fun as the event itself except you're actually getting food for your money instead of giving it away to the same people every month :)

Let's cancel doubles x_x

Top Bottom