• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Dec 17, 2016] Baby, it's Salty Outside: A Smash 4 Tournament and Can Drive (Hubbard, OH)

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Charity Event info in the following spoiler box!

We will be auctioning off an art basket at this next event. Local artists in Ohio and PGH will be donating art for you to win (additional prizes may be available).

How can you enter to win these prizes? It's simple! Follow these steps!

1. Enter one of the "Baby, it's Salty Outside" events (singles and/or doubles)
2. Donate at least one non-perishable canned good. The more cans you donate, the more tickets you get (maximum: 10, though I may raise the upper limit, depending on how much interest we generate. Feel free to bring in more cans though!). Bigger items (ex: family sized cereal boxes) may be worth more tickets. And if you bring bread, I will literally slap you.

Second Harvest Food Bank's list of most needed items:

Peanut butter, Cereal, Canned vegetables, Canned fruit, Tuna fish, Dry pasta, Canned soup, Macaroni and cheese

Most needed holiday items:
Boxed stuffing, Instant mashed potatoes, Gravy mix, Canned yams, Canned vegetables

Of Course, all non-perishables are welcome.

We will do the drawings around the time that singles start.

Current list of donating artists:

Alyssa Herman
Anna Zotta
Savannah Florence
Quentin Ross
Kayla Elizabeth Bowermaster
Zarei Driel
Robert Volt David
Alientonx (not in our area, but he's a creative Twitch streamer I know who was willing to donate something. Give him a follow!)

If you are interested in donating to the basket or know somebody else who might be, let me know!

If you haven't joined the NEOH/PHG Smash 4 Facebook page, here it is.

Time: November 19th is a Saturday! Registration starts at 12:30 PM and ends at 1:30 PM! Doubles start at 1:30 PM and Singles start soon after!

Liberty Cocca’s Pizza Address:
1494 W. Liberty St SE
Hubbard, Ohio 44425
http://www.coccaspizza.com/index.html

IMPORTANT: In case the map provider you are using gives you bad directions, it is at the corner of Churchill-Hubbard Rd and Logan Way Ave, across the street from One Stop Mart.

Parking: The Cocca’s parking lot is free.

TOURNEY RULES (These Rules are subject to change)

Stocks
2 stock, 6 minutes (3 stock, 8 minutes for doubles)
Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.

Stage List:

Starters

Battlefield
Final Destination (Omegas can only be chosen during counterpicks)
Smashville
Town and City
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks

Dreamland 64
Duck Hunt

- Starter Stage Banning goes 1-2-1
- Dave’s Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick any stage you won on in the set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
- The winner of the first game gets to ban two stages. The loser then decides on which remain stage to go to. If FD is banned, all Omegas are banned.
- Gentleman's Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it.

More rules...
After each match…
o 1. The winner announces his or her 1 stage ban(s)
o 2. Loser chooses the counterpick stage (and Omega if applicable)
o 3. Winner chooses their character
o 4. Loser chooses their character
- All sets are best 2 out of 3. The winners finals, losers finals, and grand finals are best 3 out of 5.
- Items are set off.
- Equipment is banned.
- Custom moves are set as off.
- Miis are legal. Alternate Mii specials are allowed, as they can be used when customs are set as off. Average/guest size only.
- Mii players cannot change a Mii fighter's specials between matches in a set.
- Stalling is banned. Defined as is intentionally making the game unplayable, such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action.
- Team Color Rule – Players may request that opponents change a character’s color to prevent team confusion. (Example: If red team is using red characters, they may request that the opponent not use red costumes).
- Bring your own controller. 3rd party controllers may be subject to inspection.
- Players who fail to report to their match within 10 minutes of it being announced will lose their set.
- Coaching is not allowed during matches.
- Pausing mid-match forces an opponent who paused loses their current stock, unless both opponents agree against doing so. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.
Additional Venue Rules
- Let the TO(s) know if you’re leaving temporarily for any reason if you are still participating in an event
- Cocca’s Pizza is a place of business. Keep your language and your actions PG, and remember to keep your voice at a respectable level.
- The possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages is not allowed on the premises at any time.
- Neither Cocca’s Pizza nor the TO(s) can be held responsible for any damages caused to personal property.
- Participants and viewers will be held responsible for any damages or vandalism caused to the property of other participants, viewers, or Cocca’s Pizza.

Smash Fees
- $5 ($1 if a full set-up is provided.)
- $10 for Smash 4 Singles
- $5 per team member for Smash 4 Doubles
- $1 + 1 item on the list for entry in the Charity Bracket (up to 3 items donated for 3 entry spots)

A full set-up consists of…
- A TV(preferably one with minimal lag)
- A Wii U system
- A Wii U GameCube adapter
- A copy of the game Super Smash Bros. for Wii U with all the stages and character unlocked and updated to the most recent patch
- The stage Dreamland 64 (REQUIRED)
- A power cord and surge protector (much appreciated)
- All the DLC characters

Gimmick Events
I would like to hold gimmick events at this tourney or one in the future. Some possible options are...

Custom Moves (someday)
Squads (4 vs. 4)
Crew Battle
Item Doubles (Doubles with items on a wider variety of stages)
Amiibo Tournaments (let our children fight to the death)
Parent/Child Doubles (Team with your Amiibo against other human/amiibo teams)
Capture the Flag (3 vs. 3 or 4 vs. 4) (look it up on Youtube)

Got an idea for a gimmick event? Post it below!

You can purchase food and drinks from Cocca’s (we may pull funds for people who want to split a pizza). There is also Webb’s Ice Cream on the left (only in the warmer months).

Register here and/or on the Facebook page. And I can be contacted at (330)-219-4327. Call or text me if you can't find the venue or you have questions.

Last edited:

Darkshin

Smash Rookie
Holy Crap... This is right next to my Job. And Close to my house. Yo. PM Me I am Willing to Provide some info and get some news of this event spread around. (If you have Flyers and what not) As for me I would like to provide some equipment.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Holy Crap... This is right next to my Job. And Close to my house. Yo. PM Me I am Willing to Provide some info and get some news of this event spread around. (If you have Flyers and what not) As for me I would like to provide some equipment.
Awesome, I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
How old do you have to be to enter this tournament? I live right next to here and it would be great to go to my first tournament.
There really isn't an age limit. A lot of people are high school aged and older (I'm a graduate student myself). If you're younger than 18, it really comes down to whether or not your parents/legal guardians are okay with it.

Get Low

Smash Ace
Oh lord, please change the rules to the standard two-stock, five minute (six minute?) timer.
Also, the OP says $10 entry for singles, but I think the Facebook page says $5. Please make it $5.
With that being said, hi Altrox. :) I'm Matt, the Melee Peach main you met at All American a couple weeks ago.
I'm most likely going to this regardless, but I'm only going to enter singles if you make it $5. <3

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Hey Matt, the price is $5. That was a mistake on my part.

As for 3 stock, there are a few TOs around here who prefer it (as do I, in theory). I recognize the issue of match length, and if we were to have a Pac-Man/Rosaluma situation, it would be likely to change. It is one of the things that is subject to change though, alongside the stage list, Mii rules, etc. If it changes, the change will be listed. It's something that I have to discuss with some of the wiser TOs in the area.

Get Low

Smash Ace
Well either way, I respect your choice to run the tourney as you please. :)
Unless you decide to allow "the thing that will eventually lead to the demise of the competitive Smash 4 scene" aka customs.
Yuck yuck yuck. Everything about customs is just awful in my opinion.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Well either way, I respect your choice to run the tourney as you please. :)
Unless you decide to allow "the thing that will eventually lead to the demise of the competitive Smash 4 scene" aka customs.
Yuck yuck yuck. Everything about customs is just awful in my opinion.
Still waiting on stocks though. I haven't made my final decision. Gonna see what the NEOH backroom has to say on the subject.

No customs yet. I want to get everybody's feet wet first and hope that they'll be easier to implement in the future. Not sure how customs will be the death though, considering that there will probably always be tourneys without them (Japan) and that if certain customs did become too good, they're very easy to ban. It's a messy process, but I'd love to see them further explored. So many characters get combos with them and Palutena (among others) gets gud.

Get Low

Smash Ace
Still waiting on stocks though. I haven't made my final decision. Gonna see what the NEOH backroom has to say on the subject.

No customs yet. I want to get everybody's feet wet first and hope that they'll be easier to implement in the future. Not sure how customs will be the death though, considering that there will probably always be tourneys without them (Japan) and that if certain customs did become too good, they're very easy to ban. It's a messy process, but I'd love to see them further explored. So many characters get combos with them and Palutena (among others) gets gud.
I see your point, it's just that to create fairness or whatever, every setup at a venue would have to have pretty much all of them unlocked, which, whenever I actually buy this game, I will definitely never do. Ain't nobody got time for that. The whole customs thing is also going to create a huge gap within the community (people arguing over customs vs. no customs, people not wanting to go to tournaments based off of whether there are customs or not).

I know it's probably the "Melee purist" in me that makes me feel this way, but I'm predicting that this will lead to the demise of the community. I do however think the game will live until Smash 5 comes out, much like how the Brawl scene lived until Smash 4. I really like this game though, and hope the best for its well-being.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I can see this game fading on the arrival of Smash 5, unless that game shifts back into a "Brawl" stance. Sakurai seems to really like the formula from Brawl, which he updated for this game (and it works in that it puts the game in a nice balance between casual and competitive). But for now, the game is great, though I have a few criticisms.

Unlocking customs is easy, thanks to the 3DS exploits, but they're still a pain, especially if you want a non-standard set. That's why I'm waiting to see how well they work in tourney scenes and I hope they make them easier to unlock in a future patch.

So about 2 stock vs. 3 stock, if you want 2 stock, I added a poll on the FB page. Going to go with what the community wants, because I'm fine either way.

If you want to vote on stock rules, here is the page.

And here is the poll.

ONLY VOTE IF YOU ARE COMING, PLEASE!

Last edited:

Jonathon Lee

Smash Rookie
Is there going to be a limit to how many people can play and do we have to pre register?

Last edited:

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Is there going to be a limit to how many people can play and do we have to pre register?
At this point, no. I would like an RSVP though, just so I can estimate how many people are coming though.

Currently, there is talk about doing a PA vs. OH (or East vs. West) crew battle. Any other gimmick events you guys would be interested in? I have a list of examples above.

Get Low

Smash Ace
A few more questions, mainly because I don't use Facebook and can't see the event page.
What time does the tournament start and end? And do you have a rough schedule in mind?
Also, how big is this going to end up being? It's hard to tell from this thread since no one uses Smashboards anymore.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
A few more questions, mainly because I don't use Facebook and can't see the event page.
What time does the tournament start and end? And do you have a rough schedule in mind?
Also, how big is this going to end up being? It's hard to tell from this thread since no one uses Smashboards anymore.
Check in starts at 1, singles start at 2. I don't have a rolling schedule yet, but with only Smash 4, I'm not so worried. I'll get something out this week though. It'll be more important if I add Melee or PM to the event in the future.

How big the tourney is going to be... I want to estimate that we have 3 - 5 confirms from this page alone. Including myself, we have 7 confirms on the facebook page so far and 15 maybes. I also have two maybes from friends locally, and I've been hanging up fliers at local businesses that allow it, and at YSU. Also advertised on various FB pages and on Nintendo Dojo (the old All Is Brawl site). If I were to take an estimate, I'd say we have about 15 confirmed so far (hope I'm not being too generous). I'd like at least 20 if I could.

If anybody would like to print the flier, I can link you to the PDF. If not, tell your friends.

Get Low

Smash Ace
Ah, anywhere around 20 is like the perfect size for a local, in my opinion.
I think I'm gonna do decent at this too. I finally bought the game and I've been practicing up my Lucina/Diddy.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Nine days away. If you plan on bringing a set-up, let me know. I'd like to know how many we're getting.

Jonathon Lee

Smash Rookie
My friend said if you need a set-up we can bring a wii u and adapter but he would like one of us to baby sit it and would request nothing be changed ie: music

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
^ And a TV?

But yeah, we'll be keeping an eye on everything, and you can request that stuff like that not be touched. Hopefully people can respect that.

sgShazam

Smash Rookie
Im from the Akron area, ill be there for this. I might bring a friend with me. I personally do not have a set up :(

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I can't give an entry discount unless a full setup is provided. I might be able to give you a partial discount if there is an extra TV on hand that somebody else brings that you can use. But that's up in the air.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Registration goes until 2, so you'll be fine.

FYI guys, google maps can't give the exact location of Cocca's for some reason (though it's close). Remember that it's at the intersection of Logan Way ave and Churchill Hubbard Rd.

Text or call if you can't find it. My number is at the top.

Remember to bring a few extra ones for the gimmick games! Bring a full set-up, and you get a discount! I may bring an extra TV, but don't rely on that. And buy some pizza!

Hope to see you guys there. Bring your A game!

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I assume you were the one who asked on the FB event too? See my responses there and go ask the rest of the world. I would love 3 stocks if it didn't run so slow in practice and I owned the venue

NightStormFox

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1813-8527
Hmm. It's about an hour away from where I live, but since it's run on a weekend I might be able to make it. A friend of mine runs a local arcade, so I might as to borrow one of his controllers for the tournament.

Edit: I checked my schedule. I don't seem to have anything going on that day so I'll RSVP for yes. I'll update should anything change.

Last edited:

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Hmm. It's about an hour away from where I live, but since it's run on a weekend I might be able to make it. A friend of mine runs a local arcade, so I might as to borrow one of his controllers for the tournament.

Edit: I checked my schedule. I don't seem to have anything going on that day so I'll RSVP for yes. I'll update should anything change.
Awesome. I recommend you RSVP on the FB page too, because it's easier (for me) to see the confirmations that way. Also, anybody from your area interested? We get a few guys from Cleveland, Akron, and Pittsburgh, so it be cool to get some people from Canton too.

NightStormFox

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1813-8527
We're actually in the in between from Perry. Literally bordering Massillon and Canton currently lol. I sent out some info. Some may be interested but I can't really say for sure.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Attention:

Due to accidentally getting double booked, registration now starts at 3 PM. Sorry for any inconvenience. Call or text me at 330-219-4327 for details.

Last edited:

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
NEXT EVENT: JULY 18th
Doubles are back on.
Lucas will be legal. So will Roy and Ryu, assuming that they're released by then.

Last edited:

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
I would go if I could find a way to get there. Cons of being a young smasher I guess :sadsheep:

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Any Canton people in your area who may be going? I would recommend looking there or joining the FB page and asking around.

Top Bottom