• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Journey of a Star Lord - Vs Robin

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
"You remind me so much of my good friend. He was a true warrior with a valiant heart. You have the same presence that he did. Thank you for looking after my descendents. Now....face me in battle. Surely you have wanted to test your skills against mine? As you said, a worthy opponent indeed!"

Hey Robin forums. I am Emblem Lord and this is a special thread. It is a match-up thread and a challenge thread. It works like this. A challenge last for a few weeks. Everyone in the Marth and Robin forums is invited. It's intended to be an online venture, but offline play being more consistent is of course, welcome as well. Players on both sides are invited to spar together and learn the ins and outs of the match. Whatever you find in the match, whatever little nuance or strategy, please post here and don't be shy in expressing your thoughts. The goal is to expand awareness on the match as well as increase skill level. All players of all skill levels are invited. When the challenge concludes, I will do a large very in-depth write-up on the match-up. I will NOT give a match-up ratio. That's not what I do nor is that what this thread is about. This is about building bonds through competition and the spread of knowledge. If you doubt my ability to write anything of a high caliber then please take a gander at this.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-traps-a-primer-for-gameplay-concepts.380200/

Just so you know I'm not some quack job that can't string two intelligent thoughts together.

I hope this thread stokes the flames of friendly competition and new friendships are made.

And for those wishing to spar with me, I prefer matches in the US only specifically on the East Coast though I can be persuaded to play opponents from the Midwest. NNID is ShinEmblemLord.

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
I have quite a lot of experience with Marth vs Robin as is, but have yet to put down thoughts and observations into writing. I spend a lot of time in the Robin Skype group and have had the opportunity to play against many different Robin players. I will definitely be more observant of my matches from here on and will try to offer as much as I can to this!

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
I assume this applies to Lucina too?
Also, Star Lord? Who?
I suppose you /could/ participate, but this is a Marth v. Robin specific thing. The match-up will be different for Lucina, and thus what you can contribute to the discussion is limited.

Any of you Robin mains looking for a fight, PM me! My NNID and FC are very clearly both under my Icon and in my Sig. I can play 3DS matches at the moment a little more frequently than Wii U matches, but I can do either. Hit me up!

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
In the japanese version of Fire Emblem: Awakening, Marth's official class is called Star Lord. He has very high stats and can level up to lvl 30. His King version starts off with some of the best offensive and defensive skills in the game. He can also re-class into anything besides tactician making him the best DLC character and one of the best solo units in the game.

So yeah...Star Lord.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
"You remind me so much of my good friend. He was a true warrior with a valiant heart. You have the same presence that he did. Thank you for looking after my descendents. Now....face me in battle. Surely you have wanted to test your skills against mine? As you said, a worthy opponent indeed!"

Hey Robin forums. I am Emblem Lord and this is a special thread. It is a match-up thread and a challenge thread. It works like this. A challenge last for a few weeks. Everyone in the Marth and Robin forums is invited. It's intended to be an online venture, but offline play being more consistent is of course, welcome as well. Players on both sides are invited to spar together and learn the ins and outs of the match. Whatever you find in the match, whatever little nuance or strategy, please post here and don't be shy in expressing your thoughts. The goal is to expand awareness on the match as well as increase skill level. All players of all skill levels are invited. When the challenge concludes, I will do a large very in-depth write-up on the match-up. I will NOT give a match-up ratio. That's not what I do nor is that what this thread is about. This is about building bonds through competition and the spread of knowledge. If you doubt my ability to write anything of a high caliber then please take a gander at this.

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-traps-a-primer-for-gameplay-concepts.380200/

Just so you know I'm not some quack job that can't string two intelligent thoughts together.

I hope this thread stokes the flames of friendly competition and new friendships are made.

And for those wishing to spar with me, I prefer matches in the US only specifically on the East Coast though I can be persuaded to play opponents from the Midwest. NNID is ShinEmblemLord.
I'm gonna have to ask you to break your location restriction, because I'm not missing this chance.

I'm East Coast Canada, just a little bit further up past Maine. I generally have a very strong connection.

Will you accept my challenge?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Bro, you are east coast period. It is all good.

Free to play right now?

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I dont have skype, but if you have facebook or want to communicate in personal message on this site thats fine. i already added you on my friendlist and have a room up. my facebook is facebook.com/EmblemLord

Centicerise

Smash Cadet
NNID
harubanana732
I am ready to rep the Robin! My NNID: harubanana732

Last edited:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I'll fight you. :colorful: Ohio. NNID is ZareidrieI. Where the last character is a capital i instead of a lowercase L.

ChaosArgate

Smash Rookie
I'll play you in a few hours, NNID is ChaosArgate, I'm on the East Coast.

Edit: By few, I mean in the range of maybe 8-9 hours since I work 9-5.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I will be home tonight free to play around 10:30pm after I get off my second job and eat dinner. I will also be free for about an hour at 2:30pm. Rest between jobs and ish.

Tattles

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Goldbit
I moreso represent Marth in this discussion, and I speak from the perspective of a Marth player. Some observations:

Firstly, shielding a Wind Jab (if they hold it) puts you at perfect tipper range if you Fsmash during the right window of time (in which there is no wind hitbox)

Marth's low-posture run allows for free dash grabs if you read an Arcfire (assuming you're just about far enough away for it to connect during the start-up), as it will fly harmlessly over your head.

Countering out of Arcfire can prevent follow ups and (maybe?) result in kills if you're both 100%+, though it definitely is a risky option. Probably needs more testing to know when you can Counter out of Arcfire, and when it'll be a waste of time and you'd be better off DIing. Aerial Arcfire's are much more lenient in allowing that window of time to counter; but I think aerial Arcfire's are just easier to escape in general? Wind Jab is susceptible to being countered as well.

I find Robin especially annoying to play against as Marth since I rely a lot on strings, and Robins free combo-breaker Tomes and Levin Sword are really bothersome.

Although i'd be playing Marth, I would like to play against you sometime as well, to see firsthand some differences between me and a good Marth. :p

Last edited:

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
If someone wants to play I'm available now to play some matches.

My ID is Meta651

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I'm online now. Sent friend requests to all Robin players that posted. Also please look at my matches vs Raziek. That was my first time fighting a Robin. I know I have alot to learn.

If anyone is free to play please post up or hit me on facebook.com/EmblemLord

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Nah. I establish who wants to play then I session with them. You want to spar? I will host.

ChaosArgate

Smash Rookie
I'm game, let's rock.

Edit: Goddammit I'm on a 10 minute cooldown because someone quit out of for glory.

Last edited:

ChaosArgate

Smash Rookie
Well that was fun, but that's enough smash for me for the night, I have work in the morning. I saved all those replays so I'll try to put em up sometime soonish.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Thanks I learned alot. My advice would be practice the use of your normals more. More neutral air to cover my roll attempts. You have her footsies with special moves down quite well. Now master her normals. Especially that jab combo. Roll way less. Her roll is horrible. Also optimize your decisions more. When you get me in the Arcthunder hitstun lock don't throw me. Smash attack me. Just minor nuances to work on but you will see vast improvement.

I was testing a new control scheme tonight. Setting c-stick to tilts. idk if i like it, but walk to d-tilt is so effortless with this set-up.

ChaosArgate

Smash Rookie
I'll try working more on getting used to bronze sword stuff. I just naturally gravitate more towards directional Levin Sword stuff, but eh. The Arcthunder->throw thing is one of the few reliable follow ups I've found for it, but yeah, when up close a smash is probably a better idea. I was wondering how you did those dtilts so quickly, but now the mystery is solved.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Thanks I learned alot. My advice would be practice the use of your normals more. More neutral air to cover my roll attempts. You have her footsies with special moves down quite well. Now master her normals. Especially that jab combo. Roll way less. Her roll is horrible. Also optimize your decisions more. When you get me in the Arcthunder hitstun lock don't throw me. Smash attack me. Just minor nuances to work on but you will see vast improvement.

I was testing a new control scheme tonight. Setting c-stick to tilts. idk if i like it, but walk to d-tilt is so effortless with this set-up.
Arcthunder -> Smash is only reliable at absolute point blank. Arcthunder -> Throw is muuuuuch more reliable, so I can understand why most Robins go for it.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
There were times I was point blank. Like...Chrom should be jealous because Marth was clearly kissing his wife. That's how close we were at times.

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
Arcthunder -> Smash is only reliable at absolute point blank. Arcthunder -> Throw is muuuuuch more reliable, so I can understand why most Robins go for it.
I'm fairly certain that Arcthunder -> FSmash does not combo at point blank, unless the opponent falls onto it a moment after it's fired. Distance is required as the slow travel speed of Arcthunder gives you time to get out of the endlag of the Arcthunder cast. Ideal distance should be about the length of one roll or a little further.

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm fairly certain that Arcthunder -> FSmash does not combo at point blank, unless the opponent falls onto it a moment after it's fired. Distance is required as the slow travel speed of Arcthunder gives you time to get out of the endlag of the Arcthunder cast. Ideal distance should be about the length of one roll.
You're probably right about that. I usually don't go for Smashes out of it.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I'm actually gonna be free all day today. Just hit me up. And I mean ALL day. New Jersey is getting slammed by a winter storm so, I have nothing to do and nowhere to be.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Update - Just played Zareidriel last night. Lots of fun games. Learned alot and was able to test some of my theories to get past Robin's special brand of footsies. I plan on leaving the challenge open for about a week though in terms of raw data I have enough to write the match-up article. I would love to challenge @ Raziek Raziek again and of course the strongest Robin, @Nairo.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Update - Just played Zareidriel last night. Lots of fun games. Learned alot and was able to test some of my theories to get past Robin's special brand of footsies. I plan on leaving the challenge open for about a week though in terms of raw data I have enough to write the match-up article. I would love to challenge @ Raziek Raziek again and of course the strongest Robin, @Nairo.
If you're available today, I can probably play sometime after 4 EST.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Thanks for the games Emblem Lord! Had a blast fighting some Marth :colorful:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
How long will you be free? I don't get home from work till 10pm.
I might not be able to play tonight, then. I'll let you know.

I have something else going on around that same time. If it finishes quickly, we might have time.

Top Bottom