• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff General Discussion Thread (Q&A)

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
The replays are up on that twitch account.

You'll see a few SDs and silly decisions cause I was trying to practice b-reverse pound, not bad overall though imo

also rest is silly to hit with when I'm not warmed up :I Everyone curves their body around it, I swear

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
That's because G&W is dumb.
People tend to say that he's not as good as he seems like, but in reality he's got too many dumb stuff to make up for it.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
The problem with G&W is that he has no reliable approach or pressure in neutral. He's fine with momentum; defensively or offensively, he just can't get the momentum in the first place without taking risks.

So sometimes those risks pay off, G&W charges an fsmash and hits with it, and it sets him up for the rest of the stock. But if it misses; he's a light-weight with lots of blind spots, so he's going to get wrecked for it. Very random character tbh

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
But you can't tell how that G&W is gonna play.
Sure, he seems to have a couple of blind spots, but a G&W that plays too safe is so not fun to deal with.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Blah what is his twitch account/link? It's not AussieYoshi as he didn't fight G&W that I could find skipping through the 2 long as **** videos. All I learned from them is that Grim is better at Puff than I =.=.... Not an insane difference or anything but large enough to be a noticeable one. (Also has more matchup knowledge)
Well I also learned how to better fight Sonic and Yoshi, the former of which I had very little matchup knowledge on.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
gnw's bair has a delayed hit and if we're caught off guard, we'll get hit by it. Also, the delayed hit will push us back far eough where it'll whiff the grab. the only to beat the delayed hit is to powershield it. The sheild + grab can work on kirby. As for competing on the ground, Kirby outclasses Puff's moveset, while GnW's dtilt outclasses Puff's Moveset...even pound sometimes.
B-but Jiggs has also a jump and aerials, I thought you guys already knew that.

In case I'm not clear enough : aerials OOS.

If the GW did his Bair while rising you have the time to Nair him before he lands.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Blah what is his twitch account/link? It's not AussieYoshi as he didn't fight G&W that I could find skipping through the 2 long as **** videos. All I learned from them is that Grim is better at Puff than I =.=.... Not an insane difference or anything but large enough to be a noticeable one. (Also has more matchup knowledge)
Well I also learned how to better fight Sonic and Yoshi, the former of which I had very little matchup knowledge on.
I never said that was the G&W guy, I'm not playing against him until May :)

Nikes (the Yoshi player) is very aggressive, just keep that in mind for if you ever play those characters, you might find them camping a lot more (especially since that was friendlies, he camps a bit more in tournament but yeah, still a very european-style player overall lol).

Osennecho

Smash Ace
Ah.... You troll.... And if I ever play a Yoshi I'll just be a traitor and stick to Marth. I have a little experience with that matchup because of some no name amazing Yoshi player I played in the past and Raptor who I played a couple times before.

Osennecho

Smash Ace
So yeah, still suck in tourneys.

Any pro tips against Marth and Snake?

Both match-ups suck. Hard... For different reasons. Anyways if I remember/bother to relearn my brawl FC and make my wifi stop sporadically crashing I could semi give you practice in Marth vs Puff at some point. Its pretty stupid. Kind of like G&W Marth just fairs forever and wins till Puff learns the spacing/zoning to get through that.
****There is an extremely fine line in regards to this spacing lest the Marth start out-spacing/tippering you. It is really hard to not play into their hands in this matchup.
My first recommendation is:
Just have a friend (decent at the game can be abysmal with Marth) play you and make sure they know fair (ideally SHFFF=short hop fast fall fair) is 90% of what they should be doing. Once you learn to get past that (not many/any tricks --- air dodge helps somewhat) then it becomes more dependent upon how that Marth plays. If you can't do this give yourself 300% and a level 9 Marth 0% and practice spacing.

Moving on:
Dancing blade is also instrumental for Marth in this matchup although they should be using it a hell of a lot less then fair and know not to complete it in most cases vs Puff. Mixing f-tilts in here also further helps Marth against Puff so expect those at times if the Marth is good. Ftilt is much better then Fsmash for them in this matchup.

*********Punishing RCO lag is monumentally HUGE. Especially if they take it near the ledge. They just gave you a chance to gimp/rack damage up on them by knocking them off stage. Do not miss this if they F up.

Be wary of shield breaker. Marths often forget it but this is one of the best matchups for them to throw it out there.

Personally my two favorite stages/best records against Marths w/ Puff are fcking YOSHI's (might be personal preference I'm not sure) and Delphino (absurdly hard to timeout out if they go on the offensive so don't bother trying unless you are confident and they have a campy style). FD IMO is particularly bad in this matchup due to Marth's ability to wall Puff out as well as my own experiences.

Memorizing the %s Marth can kill you at via tipper Fsmash and Dsmash would also help some as throwing rest out isn't a bad option in this matchup if you know you won't die. I personally do the same w/ G&W >_>

This is enough for now/I'm lazy..... Like always anyone is free to correct me as a fair amount of this is based upon my opinion/experiences as a Puff/Marth main and not necessarily facts.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
You don't need to know anything about the Marth MU really, you just play it like you would play against anyone *shrug*. Make sure you SDI out of dancing blade, DI away whenever you get hit at %s that won't KO you so you can claim the ledge or side of the stage more quickly and avoid Marth's follow-ups. Be wary of dolphin slash's speed. Roll a lot while learning the MU, see when it gets you punished and when you get away with it and learn from that - rolling is a lot better against Marth than any other viable character. Don't be afraid to take weak hits if it means getting stage control back also.

Snake is mad easy, just play your usual baiting and punishing game. Avoid all projectiles (out-last them if you need to, Pound in the air and the ledge is your friend). Once you get a decent lead, time him out.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Last time i fought a snake was a nightmare though.
I know that i should space and that i should bait and all, but the fact that snake keeps pressuring you with grenades and the fact that you have to constantly check your surrondings for c4s and landmines usually wears me down.

Marth MU is just lame, it's just about poking around and run away.

But thanks guys.

PS: so apparently im getting somewhere with PS into rest.

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
New member here. In Brawl, has anyone noticed that an opponent can get spiked down quickly if jigglypuff down tilts, on stage, at the right time just before the opponent recovers and grabs the ledge? I've killed a friend a few times doing this while he was playing falco. It's hard to pull off though.

Not sure if it would be practical to do this but it's something. Yeah.

SoulPech

Smash Master
When you say spike do you mean it's like Diddy's down-air or Falco's down-air, or do you mean when Puff down tilts they just go back offstage?

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
It's less powerful than falco's down air. They definitely go down and die like falco's d-air but I've mostly done it when my friend, playing falco, was at more than 50 % damage. I'm not sure how it's like at lower percentages. I'll see if I can get a video of it sometime soon.

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
hehe I guess I can read your mind from at least a thousand miles.

Sorry to get back to you so late. After trying so many times on training mode in Brawl, I honestly couldn't do that weird spike again.
I guess it was just some rare thing that happened only 3 times while I was fighting my friend. Probably something else caused it. Who knows.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Regarding Puff's rest. How does it work exactly? I usually D-air to Rest and sometimes Side-B to rest. However, I'm sure there are other ways of activating rest. I've heard that it can be activated upon hitting the opponent's hurtbox within a specific period of time. Can someone please give detailed explanation on Jigglypuff's rest please? Thanks.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Umm...

hoenstly, dair + rest is probably your best bet to hit the rest. Usually, the eenmy should be around 70% when you actually go for it. It increases the probability of tripping when you aim for the legs, and it's a good percentage for them to DI out of it. Not to mention, at this percentage, you can buffer the rest and hit it when they're in their hit animation. You can also hit Rest out of a read Roll or airdodge.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Regarding Puff's rest. How does it work exactly? I usually D-air to Rest and sometimes Side-B to rest. However, I'm sure there are other ways of activating rest. I've heard that it can be activated upon hitting the opponent's hurtbox within a specific period of time. Can someone please give detailed explanation on Jigglypuff's rest please? Thanks.

There is a very small hitbox inside Jigglypuff on Frame 2. To hit with it, the hitbox needs to be touching your opponent's hurtbox on that frame (so almost the same time you press the button).

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
There is a very small hitbox inside Jigglypuff on Frame 2. To hit with it, the hitbox needs to be touching your opponent's hurtbox on that frame (so almost the same time you press the button).
What are some setups that lead to a good Rest?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Nair works at various % if you use the soft hit.
Anything that puts you close to the opponent and pressures the opponent into throwing something out.

For example you can Bair at certain %s and drift into them, read their response and mix-up between rest, aerial follow-ups and securing a positional advantage.

Dair works if they trip, don't SDI or they only get hit by the last hit.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Your safest ways to hit the rest are:

1) dair + rest
2) rest them out of roll
3) bait an airdodge and rest them

the nair and bair + rest rhough may work, it's too much of a risk since it requires a hard read.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I'm essentially suggesting that you drift into them after the aerial; the risk isn't missing Rest, it's getting hit before you are in rest range. Once you are inside them you can bait an air dodge (as you said), or just out-speed whatever they are going to try and do. You should never go for Rest unless you know it will hit, really.

And the nair thing is sometimes an actual combo; works on Wario pretty consistently.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Well old players used to setup the semi WoP into rest.
Only you want it to be on last stock cuz you know... it's just stupid otherwise.

SoulPech

Smash Master
wall of pain to rest is too much of a risk though. Even if you read them, you're still more of a risk than dair + rest and rest out of their roll. It can work, but I would find it too risky.

SoulPech

Smash Master
True, but you can easily say majority moves thrown out (except MK) is somewhat risky. I was just giving my opinion on her safer options. you could just not use rest, lol.

SoulPech

Smash Master
it's online, but I don't know where online I can get them. I looked for like 30 minutes. All I see are full controllers and HOW to fix controllers, but not actually place that sells individual parts.

Also, I messaged t-block about ownership of this thread.

Top Bottom