• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

JCaesar's Wario

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I don't normally like making threads like this, but you don't have an active video thread and the Wario boards are majorly dead anyways, so what the heck.

I'm a ROB main, but Wario is my strongest secondary, and my character of choice vs MK. I'm not an active poster on the Wario boards but I have lurked around and read most of the important stuff, and I'm not some random scrub. I just wanted to get some reactions from some of the pro Warios to see how I'm coming along and what I could improve. These are the first videos I've recorded of my Wario, and they're all vs Plank's MK (yes, the Plank):

JCaesar (Wario) vs Plank (MK)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8YS1pAU_TA - I get raperaperaped off the edge :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm3G5g6R7ZM - 2 epic fart kills
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjLvZgRviLE - clap out of the dimensional cape @ 1:15, it was awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tpshm1MMllM - man I fsmash way too much
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3IC_9Gdl3c - ugh just straight-up outplayed

*new*

JCaesar (Wario) vs NEO (Ike)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOclpRVYT3Q - I managed to avoid getting grabbed a lot, which I'm pretty proud of ^_^ The times I didn't DI the hit after a grab release, I was trying to fart since it worked once.

I know there are things I need to work on, like my aerial follow-ups. I follow them up with fsmash waaaay too often, but Plank was the first player who was really effectively punishing it so I couldn't break that habit within these few matches, but it's something I know I need to work on. Bite moar!

Oh another thing, if you see a dash attack, it was probably a screwed up smash boost.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated :) Thanks!

danielreece2

Smash Cadet
too much Fsmash. EDIT: oh yeah i see you realized that yourself

and be carefull about using Ftilt vs MK while hes not completely open.
also, nice use of bite, id be more carefull about that too, but you seem to get him just about every time you try, so thats good.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
U did pretty good, I felt that Plank was way too aggressive on some of his approaches. All a MK really needs to beat Wario is good spacing with Ftilt, Fair, and the occasional Dsmash and Nado IMO (maybe a few well placed grounded Upb's to abuse the invincibility frames). Once Wario is in the air, he's quite vulnerable to the nado, IDK if you noticed but just about every time you tried to face off with the Tornado in the air that he almost always won. Wario doesn't really have any good answers to the Nado while in the air, and if you try to stay on the ground then he just flat out beats you in range with tilts.

I really have no advice for you, only thing I can suggest is mixing in Airdodges for approaches. If you do it right, you can avoid all 3 swipes of Fair, land, and have time to hit him before he touches the ground. That's a really good way to get past his range and up close, just don't get too predictable.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
U did pretty good, I felt that Plank was way too aggressive on some of his approaches. All a MK really needs to beat Wario is good spacing with Ftilt, Fair, and the occasional Dsmash and Nado IMO (maybe a few well placed grounded Upb's to abuse the invincibility frames). Once Wario is in the air, he's quite vulnerable to the nado, IDK if you noticed but just about every time you tried to face off with the Tornado in the air that he almost always won. Wario doesn't really have any good answers to the Nado while in the air, and if you try to stay on the ground then he just flat out beats you in range with tilts.

I really have no advice for you, only thing I can suggest is mixing in Airdodges for approaches. If you do it right, you can avoid all 3 swipes of Fair, land, and have time to hit him before he touches the ground. That's a really good way to get past his range and up close, just don't get too predictable.
my whole goal of this entire night of smash was to practice being aggressive, thats why i approached so much. trust me, tournament play would be nothing like that!

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah, Plank was being super-aggro on purpose.

I was beating the nado with fastfalled dairs, but they had to be like exactly in the middle of it, which is easier said than done. I also noticed that ftilt beats it. He kept punishing my bite/fthrow -> smash boost combo with tornado, and that made me sad :(

I'll try to incorporate more airdodges into my approaches, thanks for the tip. I'm just not used to this mobility after playing ROB for so long :laugh: he's so d.amn slow and bulky in the air.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah, Plank was being super-aggro on purpose.

I was beating the nado with fastfalled dairs, but they had to be like exactly in the middle of it, which is easier said than done. I also noticed that ftilt beats it. He kept punishing my bite/fthrow -> smash boost combo with tornado, and that made me sad :(

I'll try to incorporate more airdodges into my approaches, thanks for the tip. I'm just not used to this mobility after playing ROB for so long :laugh: he's so d.amn slow and bulky in the air.
Yeah I actually picked up ROB recently and I tried doing the Wario stuff I usually do with ROB... Didn't turn out pretty lol.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Gyrodrop and glidetoss combos keep me awake, along with reverse wavebounced gyrocancels :bee:

It's all about the dreidel.

bassem6

Smash Lord
I dunno what it is, but theres something I like about your wario style caesar. I would replace a few of those f-smashes with bites, work on landing half and 2/3 waft on him(One of, warios best moves against mk due to his lightness) and try to be a bit less predictable with your recovery (Try pulling the bike out then riding it a bit till u drop below him then jump off it followed by an airdodge).

Also, I think at lower % the bite> smashboost is inescapable. If you really wanna land that smash boost on MK you can grab release> smashboost too. Its a bit tricky to do right after the grab release but if your skilled at smashboosting then you'll be ok.

Do you play any online? I'd like to ditto you and play your ROB sometime

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I don't play online at all, I can't stand it. I frequently go to real life tourneys though, almost every weekend.

bassem6

Smash Lord
Aww, thats too bad. I can't blame you though. Online does indeed blow. Wish I could go to tournies that often xD

Popertop

Smash Champion
Ceaser is the ****.
He's a beast at 3S too.
Hey Ceaser, my Ibuki is slowly getting better.
I really just need to memorize the rest of my links, practice air target combos, get my mixup game polished, and then I'll be good to go. The only thing after taht will be getting a stick and getting good on that, which will be a long and arduous process.

OT: I actually like your Wario. Most people who second Wario suck balls with him but you didn't dissappoint me at all. I noticed the failed dash attacks and thought *that was probably supposed to be a boost smash* I do taht all the time lol. BUt yeah.
VS Meta, I like to take him to platform stages. On flat places (FD, Yoshi's(kinda), Smashville(kinda)) Meta just beats Wario. Waht I like to do is get him above Wario. I feel that's a very strong position for Wario vs Meta, in that Meta can't SL to punish, and he really just has Nado, but he could be vulnerable if he uses it above you. I mainly use clap for damage, and it outranges Meta from below, he can Nado to beat it but as I said before he could be vulnerable. You might be able to Ftilt after he leaves your shield.
Yeah, and Fsmash him when he gets predictable.
And wtf? WHen did you move to Maryland? Guess I haven't been paying attention at all. Did you go to HOBO 12?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Haha I think you're thinking of a different Caesar. I've lived in MD my whole life, though I've been to a few upstate NY Melee tourneys back when I was in college.

On topic, I've adjusted my Wario to be less dair->fsmash happy (I was getting punished way too often for it, just a bad habit). Hopefully I'll get a vid up soon.

On a sidenote, here's a $5 MM between my ROB and BMX's (AKA rockguy1234's) Wario:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlUrFtek9WI

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
New vid!

JCaesar (Wario) vs NEO (Ike)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOclpRVYT3Q - I managed to avoid getting grabbed a lot, which I'm pretty proud of ^_^ The times I didn't DI the hit after a grab release, I was trying to fart since it worked once.

Well, I think I've improved some, though I still make dumb mistakes sometimes and my smashboosting sucks.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
1. Yeah, work on those DACUS, it's pretty hilarious how often you mess it up XD
2. Still too much fsmash once you hit the ground, you need to use it during their laggy moves or landing frames, to avoid punishment.
3. Needs more upairs.
4. Abuse Wario's standing grab, it's range is tremendous.

You did pretty well about the grabs despite being on FD, just know that you SHOULD NOT get hit by upsmashes, and that the fart thing will ONLY work if he does something stupid (like SHing into you).

Top Bottom