• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

japanese tourney performance list.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
personally if i could choose anybody to go over there and play against them, it would be plank.

i think planking would turn their entire world upside down... rofl

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I don't think genralising their metagame on a few matches is a wise choice.
Almost every competetive japanese players play aggresively, of course theres japanese that play like us, defensively. But Theres also american players who play aggresively.

Starscream

Smash Ace
First of all where did you get that tier list? I don't see a source of any kind.

Second, those vids you posted are all months old, they can't possibly accurately reflect how ALL Japanese players play now.

This thread is crap.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Wow that is strange, I didn't think Japanese players played so differently from us.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
First of all where did you get that tier list? I don't see a source of any kind.

Second, those vids you posted are all months old, they can't possibly accurately reflect how ALL Japanese players play now.

This thread is crap.
posted where i got it. and since all *** players play aggresively, what would change?

and go freakin away troll. if you dont like it then dont post.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i think i like the american tier list and our style of playing.

lol no matter where you go or how you play MK still wins.

Starscream

Smash Ace
posted where i got it. and since all *** players play aggresively, what would change?

and go freakin away troll. if you dont like it then dont post.
Good job buddy, editing your source into the first post after I posted. By the way, even the link you posted doesn't show where this tier list is from. It's just some guy posting a list, doesn't say who made it or when.

And I say this thread is crap because it's like everyone thinks that Japanese people aren't human or something, that every single one of them plays like these individuals. Not all Japanese people play aggressively and not all North American players play defensively. I'm willing to believe a large majority of them play aggressively if some sort of evidence is presented but all you've shown people are videos of only a couple players that are months old.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I prefer the more agressive styles of the ****
be honest wouldn't you want to have an awesome fast paced match like zentore vs. Nyokuse?
If you're not getting owned during the process.

Which is a lot of what the Japanese style is.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Wtf Japanese Brawl is so amazing.

Why can't we play like that?
Instead we run away and camp and exploit gay, broken tactics.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Because we play to win. We like having money, and if you want money then you have to use the best options against the best opponents, because they'll be doing it too.

People need to learn the Japanese play for respect.

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
If you're not getting owned during the process.

Which is a lot of what the Japanese style is.
I said be a little more agressive like their
not entirely change to their style
mix things up is what i'm trying to say

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Because we play to win. We like having money, and if you want money then you have to use the best options against the best opponents, because they'll be doing it too.

-sigh-
Maybe if we didn't have Metaknight...or people like M2K...

Tires don exits guyz.

(-_-)
Zomg take your memes and leave. =[

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Wtf Japanese Brawl is so amazing.

Instead we run away and camp and exploit gay, broken tactics.

I was gonna say...they seem to have more of a sense of honor than Americans...no wait, the "top" Americans do. Some of the best Japanese players may lose to some of the "best" American players, but that's because they play with style, and don't exploit broken aspects of the game.

They make it interesting, and I try to too, but getting ftilted by Snakes and Shuttle Looped/wh0renado'd by MK doesn't make me look very flashy or stylish >_>

their matches are definately more fun to watch.

Japanese Kirby is better than our Kirby IMO.
The match I'm watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A45Y5V4dYYc doesn't actually look that much different from some of the best 'merican Kirby players. Kirby actually encourages a more aggressive style of play, believe it or not. You can be defensive, but you don't really have many camping options, besides maybe BAir walls or shieldgrabs, and they will only work for so long.

Master Knight DH

Smash Journeyman
HA! Pit as A Rank in Japan. You can't tell me now arrow abuse is over the top.

He has a limited number of players in America, let alone non-amateur ones, to fight G&Ws and get wins in the first place.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The match I'm watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A45Y5V4dYYc doesn't actually look that much different from some of the best 'merican Kirby players.
Same thing with the Mario players. The only difference is that we utilize our defensive options more to keep the momentum on our side.

Can't say it's the same for everyone else though.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
First of all, Brinboy, please give credit to the Fox Board for finding this tier list before you.

Now onto the actual tier list. It's outrageous. If I were to type everything I disagree with I'd make my fingers numb, so I'll just let you know that I agree with all the specific disagreements that have been stated in this thread already.

They play so aggressively. Once international games start between America and Japan, we'll win every time because they don't understand the concept of being moderately defensive to read your opponent and punish them. They'll jump into our **** all the time. It won't even be funny after a while...

Levitas

the moon

The number is the slot difference between ankoku's list and the respective tier list.

Japanese list comparison on left, US list comparison on right.

The lower the number at the bottom, the more the tier list corresponds to the american tournament results, as of the last two months.

You'll note that Olimar, peach, and sonic seem to be the most out of place on the american side, while Pit, Fox, TL, DDD, Lucas, Wario, DK, Sonic, and most notably Peach seem to be the most out of place on the japanese side (I reiterate: when compared to american results).

Seems both sides have trouble placing Peach and Sonic to our results in particular. I blame Edrees entirely. Stop winning, Edrees. Peach isn't good. She shouldn't be winning. You're screwing everything up. So cut it out.

I'd compare the american tiers and japanese tiers directly, but I don't really care to. Also, if my numbers are off by 1 or 2, STFU, I don't want to hear it.

Edit: 1sec, I'll get that image working somehow.

Edit 2: Success!

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Whoa, whoa, whoa.

First things first. This tier list originated in the Ganondorf boards, posted by a japanese Ganondorf player.
Here. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203264&page=2

Secondly, he was kind of joking about G-dorf. You'll see when I post the original list.

S:MetaKnight,Snake,Falco
A:R.O.B,Diddy,Marth,Pit,Fox
B:Mr. Game & Watch,Wolf,Toon Link
C:Ice Climbers,Olimar,Sheik,Zero Suit Samus,Pikachu,Lucario
D:Kirby,King Dedede,Mario,Lucas,Wario,Charizard
E:Zelda,Ike,Donkey Kong,Ness,Link,Luigi,Yoshi,Pokemon Trainer,Squirtle,Ivysaur
F:Sonic,Bowser,Samus,Captain Falcon,Jigglypuff,Peach
G:Ganondolf(GOD RANK)

****storm may die down a little now.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I'd love to see Peach in that place in our list >_< Then I could say "lol, you got beaten by the 2nd worst character in the game". That's what I miss about Melee Kirby.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Those videos are in no way representative of Japanese competitive smash.......

Watch actual tournament videos to see how Japanese players actually play. I feel like this discussion has been had before... like, a lot of times.

Plus, that tier list is false.

EDIT - @SaltyKracka: yes.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Those videos are in no way representative of Japanese competitive smash.......

Watch actual tournament videos to see how Japanese players actually play. I feel like this discussion has been had before... like, a lot of times.

Plus, that tier list is false.
Kindly post the real one then, please.

Zeborg

Smash Cadet
First of all, Brinboy, please give credit to the Fox Board for finding this tier list before you.

Now onto the actual tier list. It's outrageous. If I were to type everything I disagree with I'd make my fingers numb, so I'll just let you know that I agree with all the specific disagreements that have been stated in this thread already.

They play so aggressively. Once international games start between America and Japan, we'll win every time because they don't understand the concept of being moderately defensive to read your opponent and punish them. They'll jump into our **** all the time. It won't even be funny after a while...
The best Japanese players were able to keep up with the best American players in melee. I see no reason why that should change with Brawl.

It's much like how NBA fans trashtalk European basketball, but many of the best NBA players hail from Europe.

I would much rather prefer humbleness on both sides of the Pacific and a willingness to see what the Japanese DO have to offer as opposed to blatant negative bashing of the Japanese players based off of a few videos and a tier list.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
The best Japanese players were able to keep up with the best American players in melee. I see no reason why that should change with Brawl.

It's much like how NBA fans trashtalk European basketball, but many of the best NBA players hail from Europe.

I would much rather prefer humbleness on both sides of the Pacific and a willingness to see what the Japanese DO have to offer as opposed to blatant negative bashing of the Japanese players based off of a few videos and a tier list.
1. Americans were the better Melee players. Though this is irrelevant to the discussion as Melee and Brawl are not even similar.
2. Brawl is best played, in high levels of play, as a defensive game and not with an incredibly aggressive style of play or else you're easily punished.
3. I have seen what "they have to offer" by watching their Japanese Brawl vids. That's why I am able to safely say that they play too aggressively.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

First things first. This tier list originated in the Ganondorf boards, posted by a japanese Ganondorf player.
Here. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203264&page=2

Secondly, he was kind of joking about G-dorf. You'll see when I post the original list.
My bad. Then it seems the Fox Board didn't give credit to the Ganondorf Board.
PEOPLE YOU NEED TO STOP PLAGIARIZING! Sheesh...

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
Personally, I often prefer watching Japanese Smash matches. The energy always seems a bit upped. American Smashers (in Brawl anyway) always seem to hold back and play on the side of caution in tourneys. Friendlies are a bit looser over here, but you get my point anyway.

Zeborg

Smash Cadet
1. Americans were the better Melee players. Though this is irrelevant to the discussion as Melee and Brawl are not even similar.
2. Brawl is best played, in high levels of play, as a defensive game and not with an incredibly aggressive style of play.
3. I have seen what "they have to offer" by watching their Japanese Brawl vids. That's why I am able to safely say that they play too aggressively.
It seems to be that there is not a comprehensive list of Japanese brawl videos. To make sweeping assumptions of Japanese play based off a few videos is unfair to the Japanese players. We don't know if these videos are friendlies or tournament matches (although in same cases we do know). We don't know if these players are considered good at all in Japan. We in fact, have not seen many Japanese players play at all. What's happening here is analogous to some random dude posting random matches of random American players on a Japanese forum and everyone there going 'lawlz they play so bad they must suck!' It's a little silly.

Finally, a lot of these videos come from months ago. Some from May in fact...half a year ago. With this in mind, it seems a little presumptive to state with great certainty that the best Japanese players would be humiliated by the best American players, don't you think?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Personally, I often prefer watching Japanese Smash matches. The energy always seems a bit upped. American Smashers (in Brawl anyway) always seem to hold back and play on the side of caution in tourneys. Friendlies are a bit looser over here, but you get my point anyway.
Agreed. It is more fun to watch their faster-paced matches.
See, the problem with Brawl is that you are less open for punishment if you play defensively. It wasn't that way in Melee.
That's why I stated that once international games begin, they'll keep jumping into our **** and lose every time.

It seems to be that there is not a comprehensive list of Japanese brawl videos. To make sweeping assumptions of Japanese play based off a few videos is unfair to the Japanese players. We don't know if these videos are friendlies or tournament matches (although in same cases we do know). We don't know if these players are considered good at all in Japan. We in fact, have not seen many Japanese players play at all. What's happening here is analogous to some random dude posting random matches of random American players on a Japanese forum and everyone there going 'lawlz they play so bad they must suck!' It's a little silly.

Finally, a lot of these videos come from months ago. Some from May in fact...half a year ago. With this in mind, it seems a little presumptive to state with great certainty that the best Japanese players would be humiliated by the best American players, don't you think?
Lol, look around. I'm not the only one here saying that "they play so aggressively".
If we are all correct and they do tend to play like this, then our more defensive style WILL own them every time.

Zeborg

Smash Cadet
Lol, look around. I'm not the only one here saying that "they play so aggressively".
If we are all correct and they do tend to play like this, then our more defensive style WILL own them every time.
Obviously you're not the only one saying so. And keep in mind that I've said absolutely nothing about whether I think defensive or aggressive is better or vice versa. All I'm saying is that we don't know how accomplished these players are; what we DO know is how these specific players play, and this cannot be generalized to how all of Japan plays.

At the very least, it just seems unsavory to me to bash people who don't have a chance to respond.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Is this an actual tier list? I think this is just a list of tournament placings like Ankoku's thread (although that would beg the question as to how PT could possibly be seperated).

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Obviously you're not the only one saying so. And keep in mind that I've said absolutely nothing about whether I think defensive or aggressive is better or vice versa. All I'm saying is that we don't know how accomplished these players are; what we DO know is how these specific players play, and this cannot be generalized to how all of Japan plays.

At the very least, it just seems unsavory to me to bash people who don't have a chance to respond.
Fair enough.
Allz I knowz iz that I used to play incredibly aggressively like they do against defensive brawlers and I'd lose a good maybe 3 quarters of my games, at least. When I completely reformed my playstyle, which was perhaps a couple months ago, I started to calm down and read my opponents more and began winning at least half of my matches, on wifi and offline.

And the Japanese don't calm down to read their opponents.
Just going by my personal experience.

Zeborg

Smash Cadet
Fair enough.
Allz I knowz iz that I used to play incredibly aggressively like they do against defensive brawlers and I'd lose a good maybe 3 quarters of my games, at least. When I completely reformed my playstyle, which was perhaps a couple months ago, I started to calm down and read my opponents more and began winning at least half of my matches, on wifi and offline.

And the Japanese don't calm down to read their opponents.
Just going by my personal experience.
Okay, thanks :). I harbor no ill will. :chuckle:

Magitek Angel

Smash Rookie
I disagree with it solely on the basis that Captain Falcon isn't on the bottom. It's manlier to be on the bottom.

Top Bottom