• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Ruleset

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I like their format 1000% better

- It's simple and easier for beginners to understand
- Much closer to Nintendo's usual tournament ruleset
- Many of Smogon's rules are in place 'cause they've been there since gen 1. OHKO and Evasion clauses don't seem as useful when pokemon have abilities like Sturdy, there are many moves that don't miss, and you have pokemon like Machamp.
- They basically have "OU's with legendaries" and "OU's without legendaries". That's cool enough for me.
- And I'm not going to lie. I think I need something like a fun new ruleset to stir back up my interest in pokemon.

EDIT: Ok, maybe not 1000% better or even 100% better. But I think it sounds fun to try.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I don't find this very interesting considering Smogon has a separate "Nintendo" tier on their servers that essentially follow these rules. Nothing big here IMO.

:phone:

O_J

Smash Rookie
I'm not gonna lie, I really like the idea of having an OU without base 600s and higher.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
OHKO Clause is totally unnecessary, but if it was removed, people would start spamming OHKO moves just because it was removed.

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
The japanese system is easy to understand, but I don't like how they don't have tiers where pokemon like emboar and electivire can shine

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I've never had a problem with Item Clause. Sure, it's kind of weird, it's really restrictive, but it's easy to work around for most teams.

It makes my 6 Specs Dragon-types Ubers team suck, though

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I love Item Clause.

Take this from a player who runs teams with 4+ Lefties.

It's really good for competitive play.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Creativity =/= better.

If one Pokemon is playing their best defensive role possible, then no other Pokemon on your team can play this role (unless you use a Poison type or Gliscor for Black Sludge or Poison Heal), and no mons can play two open offensive roles, as you're stuck with choice for additional power once you use up one Life Orb.

It's a pointless rule that nobody would EVER consider if it wasn't for the fact Gamefreak made it. We'd still have species clause without them, and Ubers without them, or sleep clause without them, but NOBODY would try item clause without them.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
think about it

life orb and leftovers are the best items in the game for offense and defense respectively

unless you're using a poison type or have poison heal, you're using lefties on your defensive mon, shell bell works way better on something that is offensively bulky (like reuniclus) or the stupid lvl 1 aron ****

life orbs are great for offensive pokemon, the type items just don't help enough, expert belt is only usable on stuff like starmie or electivire in which they hit a lot of pokemon for SE damage, the choice items are mon specific, and the gems are a one turn boost, life orb is the best by far

air balloon is a pretty good item, it's pretty much like the berries but slightly better as it grants an immunity instead of just lowering the damage taken

item clause really sucks in-game when you're trying to achieve the items you need

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Expert Belt is great for bluffing Choice
Focus Sash, Balloon, type-resist Berries work on pretty much everything
Gems work decently on Unburden and Acrobatics Pokemon
Flame Orb is usable on few Pokemon. Cresselia, Clefable, Unown evolution
Big Root might be viable with the buff to Giga Drain and Drain Punch
Or you could be a noob and stack Phantom Dancers

D

Deleted member

the rules seem substantially less scrubby. my only gripe is that dream world abilities are still legal.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
>Banning Pokemon because they're event or BST, regardless if the Pokemon is good or not
>Not scrubby

Yeah... about that.

Vlade

Social Outcast
air balloon is a pretty good item, it's pretty much like the berries but slightly better as it grants an immunity instead of just lowering the damage taken
I agree that air balloon is probably better but I still think Shuca Berry has some advantages as the opponent isn't going to be aware that your pokemon is holding one unlike balloon, plus it doesn't get used up when hit by an attack other than ground.

Basically, surprise factor.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
Even still, air balloon is better, being completely immune to fire/ground coverage is way too good to pass up

I almost forgot about eviolite cause that's definitely a good item

The berries are still a little gimmicky for my taste, yes they can alter the outcome of a match but they're still not 100% reliable

Leftovers and life orb are the best items, they are not pokemon specific and will work on any defensive/offensive role respectfully

The choice items are role specific and sometimes poke specific, it's more of, is the poke a hit and run kind of guy

Air balloon is for offensive pokemon who happen to be weak to ground moves that will always force a switch on top of having crazy good offenses (like heatran and excadrill)

Eviolite is for pokes who can evolve, making them bulkier, this item is great, there is just a lack of good pokemon to utilize it, the only ones I've heard of are: chansey, porygon2, and dusclops

The berries are gimmicky, I explained earlier

Expert belt is only good on pokemon who rely on SE hits for damage, like starmie and electivire, it does hide a choice item but it's not reliable

Everything else is very pokemon specific

:phone:

Top Bottom