• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

japanese players abandon me before the fight starts

orthicviper

Smash Rookie
It seems like they keep disconnecting the moment they join and before the fight starts, like my roman letters in my name scare them off.

So i noticed that with Japanese players they often aren't as challenging as the english-name players. Also i have amazingly good latency with them that should just be impossible considering how far overseas they are.

This got me to wondering if me having a perfect connection means they are suffering massive input lag?
Am i the one hosting whenever japanese players are in my matches? I heard this game is peer to peer so i thought there was no particular host and that each player would suffer the same latency as the most latencied player in the match.

You know, it just doesnt make sense that nintendo made a fast paced action game like this make you fight players worldwide, but on a game like mario kart 8 you can choose to just fight regional players.

So anyway, that's my theory. The japanese are scared of me because fighting americans/europeans means they will lag horrendously. However i love to fight them because it is buttery smooth for me.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I was honestly going to post about this myself before I saw this thread. It's been happening to me the past few days, and sometimes I'll even get around 5 or 6 people on and off before someone sticks around. Funny thing is, I actually live in Hong Kong (pretty close to JP), I just have an American Wii U.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Japanese have an insular culture and as far as they're concerned they don't need to prove anything vs. american or western trash, and they have people like Abadango and Amsa as Japan's representatives to prove that Japan can hang with the big boys. That and they don't want to deal with any lag.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
They really seem to hate lag, so they tend to drop out if matched up with a player with a western name.

I live in India, and also means I run into Japanese players more frequently at my usual play times, and this is rather problematic. Not much you can do about it though.

:231:

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
Yeah I haven't understand this as of late.

I live in Canada and I tend to play a lot of FG when it's late at night (usually around 1-2 AM.) While it's 2 AM here it's like 4 PM there on the Japanese side so I encounter a lot of them frequently and I'll tell you that every Japanese player that matches up with me, 1 out of 3 of them will leave instantly.

While it's not as much of a hassle, it's somewhat tedious as finding a new person can take some time to find (for me at least on the 3DS.)

They may be concerned of lag but it's not like everybody on the other side of the world has a bad connection to you.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I was fighting against a Kirby user as Mega Man and all he ever did was stand on the edge and use inhale the whole time. I got too close to him and sucked me right into him, then walked off stage and KO'd me. Repeats the same thing again and I fell for it...again...and lost... Pretty embarrasing **** right there...

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
You could try to trick them into thinking you're a Japanese by changing your mii and tag to an emoticon or w/e. These types of japanese players always leave after any sort of win, no matter how it happened, so you're not missing out on much.

Because of my location, 80% of everyone i encounter is japanese. It's incredibly annoying when about 8 people in a row just leave and the next person just leaves after one match.

Last edited:

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
This has been happening to me alot lately. I blame this on Nintendo though. It's either do the match in extreme unplayable lag and just turn off Wii U, or leave before you even have to deal with that. It's idiotic on Nintendo's part to think you're ragequitting and they ban you when in fact you simply don't want to play in horrendous lag.

Comet Knight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.Y32
3DS FC
2208-6123-2254
I leave japanese players because the few I had near the release of the game had absolutely terrible amounts of lag. I just don't like dealing with lag, and they probably don't either.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
They don't like lag and they seem to really care about their W/L. The ones that do stick around will stick around forever if you keep letting them win, but will drop after 1 if you whoop them.

D

Deleted member

I don't understand this either. Whenever i smash late at night (lulz) it would only be natural to only encounter the Japanese smashers and for the most part whenever they join my empty room, " NO SILLY AMERICAN, I DON'T LIKE LAG! " then poof. But ironically, when i do end up in a match with them it's all lag-free. THEN they leave.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
lol i always rekt them
This. There's this one japanese guy/girl with 2 or 3 letters for a name who won't even play with me anymore on For Glory even though we've always had a good connection. As soon as they get in a room with me they leave immediately.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
This. There's this one japanese guy/girl with 2 or 3 letters for a name who won't even play with me anymore on For Glory even though we've always had a good connection. As soon as they get in a room with me they leave immediately.
Yeah thats true the only good ones i end up fighting end up being easily gimped by moves like bairs

link2702

Smash Champion
i do this to japanese players myself....pretty much cuz I don't want to bother with potential distance lag. After all playing with someone in another country always has a chance of producing lag...lag that neither side can really do anything about even if they both have amazing connections in their country.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I get lag just from playing people in the states in this game.
What reason do I have to believe it'll be any better with Japanese players?

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
I disconnect from them too. It's not some superiority complex or anything, I just realize that if I were to stay in the match then it would be lag hell. It's already incredibly bad with some people here in the states, now imagine with someone across seas.

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I don't get this either! I remember seeing 4 japanese guys logging out in a row and one of them played with me 3 times, 3 being free wins as he SD'd. And, since the connection was solid, I don't see how it was like that for them. Is it even possible to only have lag at only side? I remember having input lag with a girl who apparently did not suffer from this, and maybe the japanese people have this!

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I've recently noticed that Japanese players seem more willing to play against me at certain times of the day.

If I play particularly late at night or early in the morning and I get partnered against a Japanese player, they are very likely to disconnect immediately. However, if I play FG around 9 or 10 A.M. and I am connected to a Japanese player, they are generally more likely to stay and play against me.

The reason that happens is likely because Japan's time zone is 13 hours ahead of mine, so when it is 10 A.M. where I live, it is 11 P.M. over there. If they are playing online that late, they tend to be less picky about who they go up against.

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
I noticed a similar trend. I'm willing to put my money on the idea that they want to avoid less-than-stellar internet connections, as Japan generally has good internet, from what I've heard. I wouldn't blame them either, since there's no real way to see if your incoming opponent has a good connection or not; I would rather just not take the chance than be randomly punished with a stuttering game. No one really wins, even if your opponent is somehow proud of beating you in the static, underwater action (which.... is actually quite common, unfortunately).

Inazuma

Smash Cadet
NNID
inazuma65
Even if you live in the USA like I do, there is a much higher chance of lag if your opponent is in the USA, compared to Japan. For those who don't know, Japan has excellent internet. Generally speaking, our internet is nowhere near as good.

So in addition to the possible lag, I think the other reason why Japanese players would avoid non-Japanese players is because they are not that skilled, generally speaking.

You know how 99% of Americans are scrubs? Japan is totally different. In Japan, it's nowhere near that bad. I should clarify that players who understand the pro mindset are equal, regardless of race or what culture they live in. Japan just happens to have a hell of lot more players who play to win.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
This happens to me every once in a while. I get paired up with a Japanese player and then they leave before the match even started. There were also times when they would stick around and then just leave after only one match regardless of whether they win or lose. Not sure what lame excuse they have for doing this but whatever.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
Maybe they decided to give their connection the BOTD and it turned out to be laggy.

Top Bottom