• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japanese Nintendo Direct May 31st

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Recently a Nintendo Direct was announced for Japan to take place on May 31st at 7PM Japan time (3 AM PT/6 AM ET). The focus for the direct will be on Wii U and 3DS games launching this summer. Due to the recent talks about Fire Emblem there has been speculation that this direct may be used to announce Roy as DLC due to files found in the latest patch that allude to his and Ryu from Street Fighter's Inclusion.

What will actually happen at the direct however? The only way to know is to watch! A link to the stream can be found here. So sit down, tune in, and let's see what happens!

SmashCapps is staying up extra late to see what's covered! To stay up with him and chat, follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I'm kind of wondering if they'll pull another Shulk, haha.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully Roy has some sort of new gimmick. It'd suck to see another Marth clone.

KraftCee

Smash Rookie
NNID
KraftCee
3DS FC
3995-7645-2318
Switch FC
5656 - 7871 - 2693
I hope they'll talk about Lucas DLC though...
Last day of May, Lucas has never been that near...

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
>Direct is at 6AM EST

Last edited:

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Doubt Roy is being announced in this.
Sakurai said he was attending that Fire emblem concert to announce something thats probably when its happening.
Could be wrong but I doubt its happening.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Personally, i'm wanting Roy to be revealed at E3 instead of some next regional exclusive direct. It just seems half-assed really. Sure, you can make an argument for Shulk but DLC is a bit different than the initial roster in a sense that you want as many people to know about it as possible. Besides, Wolf and Ryu are probably going to be revealed at E3 so just have the 3 of them revealed around the same time period.

Also, for what it's worth, Sakurai always re-tweets directs where a new Smash Bros character is introduced. He even re-tweeted the Japanese Direct where Shulk was revealed and more recently the direct revealing Lucas so hopefully theirs no character reveals today. If anything, they should use this direct to announce things unrelated to characters like stages and modes that their probably not going to have time to cover at E3. Whatever happened to the Miiverse stage and Tournament mode? Use this direct to discuss that and leave the big character reveals for E3. If there's anything related to characters in the direct, it should just be Lucas's release date. It's only in 2 weeks now, we can wait.

Unrelated, is there any way I can watch the direct english subbed?

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Personally, i'm wanting Roy to be revealed at E3 instead of some next regional exclusive direct. It just seems half-***** really. Sure, you can make an argument for Shulk but DLC is a bit different than the initial roster in a sense that you want as many people to know about it as possible. Besides, Wolf and Ryu are probably going to be revealed at E3 so just have the 3 of them revealed around the same time period.

Also, for what it's worth, Sakurai always re-tweets directs where a new Smash Bros character is introduced. He even re-tweeted the Japanese Direct where Shulk was revealed and more recently the direct revealing Lucas so hopefully theirs no character reveals today. If anything, they should use this direct to announce things unrelated to characters like stages and modes that their probably not going to have time to cover at E3. Whatever happened to the Miiverse stage and Tournament mode? Use this direct to discuss that and leave the big character reveals for E3. If there's anything related to characters in the direct, it should just be Lucas's release date. It's only in 2 weeks now, we can wait.

Unrelated, is there any way I can watch the direct english subbed?
Interestingly enough, Sakurai hasn't made any statements about this direct.
Guess it might be a doozy when it comes to Smash Bros. news...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Interestingly enough, Sakurai hasn't made any statements about this direct.
Guess it might be a doozy when it comes to Smash Bros. news...
Which is why i'm predicting that anything Smash related in this direct will be DLC stages and/or DLC modes that probably won't be mentioned at E3 along with a release date for Lucas. Besides, with the recent trend of how characters are revealed at E3 for the past 2 years (3 characters, 2 Nintendo characters and 1 third party character), it would only be safe to assume that the 3 will be revealed at E3 (Ryu being revealed at the NWC and Roy and Wolf being revealed at the Digital Event).

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I admit I planned to have something up a full day before, but somehow my brain confused it being done on the 31st and forgot how early in the morning it would be. Totally willing to admit it, my b.
Nah, that's ok, some might not know too.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Hmm... Can't be anything major since E3 is so soon, but...just feels like its something used to clarify things? Like clear up confusion on Zelda, Fire Emblem, stuff like that. But maybe mentions of Lucas, who knows?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Noice! It's in like an hour almost! I will be going to a festival at 8 but I'll catch some of it

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Watched it. Nothing Smash related. Waste of my time.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The direct just finished. I'm glad their weren't any character reveals in this direct. Save all of that goodness for E3 where the DLC characters can be revealed on an international level.

Still, I wish they would have gave us the release date for Lucas.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The direct just finished. I'm glad their weren't any character reveals in this direct. Save all of that goodness for E3 where the DLC characters can be revealed on an international level.

Still, I wish they would have gave us the release date for Lucas.
I'm expecting amiibo cards for animal crossing could be region locked.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Chibi Robo 3DS looks pretty fun. Great to see them go back to that franchise.

Top Bottom