• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Japan tier list post 1.04

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
For being one of the undeniably most buffed characters in the game following 1.04 patch, I'd never expect Shulk of all people to be placed where he is.

Guess we'll see in the future when we know more information and have more tournament data to go with.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Dark Pit should be right next to Pit. There's quite frankly only a few differences. They both play too similarly to be ranked so differently from each other.
This tier list is so lolz.

Frostav

Smash Apprentice
The Japanese are vastly superior to westerners when it comes to fighting games, so I'd put more stock in this list than most of the salty scrubs here.

Shipht

Smash Rookie
I dont entirley agree with this tier list espically Wario and Pac-man placement. Other then that its kina accurate...

D

Deleted member

I think that Shulk is a bit low on this tier list. I think the damage buffs that he received has been helping him in his combo game and there is a lot you can pull off with Shulk. He is definitely not the best character in the game, but I think that he should be higher.

I also think that it might be premature to give Diddy Kong his own tier. He is definitely good (and he might end up being #1), but putting him in S is making him on-par with Brawl Ice Climbers, which I think might be a bit too much.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I knew Diddy was OP well that's another one for the conspiracies I guess, still waiting for the US tier list.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
Wario is really high. I'm still trying to make my mind up on this character. He has weaknesses but his bait and punish game is strong his camp game is strong his recovery is gdlk he lives forever and waft can kill you early a hell.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Wario is really high. I'm still trying to make my mind up on this character. He has weaknesses but his bait and punish game is strong his camp game is strong his recovery is gdlk he lives forever and waft can kill you early a hell.
Wario has a really good delayed grab that can be used in the air.

Great for predicting rolls.

EarthBoundRules

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-0517-2480
I know a lot of people don't agree with the list, but it seems pretty close to my predictions.

SharpMcHappy

Smash Apprentice
I can see why people are upset, the list is pretty BS in this state. The Mii Brawler is definitely not that good, Greninja's way too low, Rosalina's too low, Pit is too high etc.

I'll prove you wrong someday...

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I'm going to post something I posted in the Smash 4 Social Thread:

ALL HAIL JAPAN AND THEIR GOD FORSAKEN TIERS LISTS!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! YEEAAAHHHHH! :4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::4diddy::smash::joyful::crazy::awesome::seuss:
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

> WE DIDDY NOW BOYS!!!! :4diddy::4diddy::4diddy:

And this is why we don't have tons of chocolate in the morning kiddos D: DX

*sniff* help me doc D: :4drmario:

Last edited:

Twizman

Smash Cadet
NNID
Twizman
I watch a lot of SHI Gaming videos and in my opinion the matches are of a lot higher quality than the stuff I see on Clash Tournaments. So I put a lot of stock in this list.

A bit disappointed to see Ike (my main) and Shulk so low. Let's just see Abadango how this will play out.

steelguttey

mei is bei
ITT: people that dont understand that japan tier lists are always wildly different than western ones

EDIT:

Tiers are so stupid to begin with. Who came up with this **** anyways?
"yea who thought of showing if a character is better than another one? ****ing idiots right guys?"

Last edited:

PartyHat

Smash Rookie
I think we all can agree with Dr. Mario.

No love for him in this game

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Fox is in A tier, yet Marth and Lucina are in E tier?

Ah, so that's how it's gonna be after years of sharing tier placement?

The Japanese are vastly superior to westerners when it comes to fighting games, so I'd put more stock in this list than most of the salty scrubs here.
This sounds like it's coming a stereotypical Japanese xenophobe.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Why is zelda not second to last (above the mii swordfighter)?

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I find this tier list to be quite accurate. Having tried most of the roster somewhat extensively, most characters lack safe approach options that are also damaging. Notice that all the characters in A and higher (lol Diddy) have safe approaches that can do a lot of damage. Even a character like Sheik, with no ability to kill, is incredibly high because of how safe she is and how quickly she can damage the opponent with those safe options.

Some characters, like Ganon, put themselves at risk every time they even move. Other characters, like Lucina, put themselves at risk whenever they try to do something that does good damage. Basically, if either of these characters whiff, or are even shielded against, the opponent has guaranteed punishes on them. Whereas characters like Diddy have incredibly safe and 25-40% damage options (looking at you banana->DThrow->Uair->Uair->another aerial mixup).

AuraBreak

Smash Apprentice
Is this tier list based on only FD like the previous japanese one or no?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
They probably should have waited until at least a year's worth of tournaments before entertaining the idea of a tier list.
Got to keep in mind this is the Japanese metagame we're talking here, which tends to have slightly different results due to the different rulesets and mentalities. For those that live in PAL or NTSC regions, it's not going to be 100% accurate. However, it does give us a loose idea on where we'll end up on for other locations.
Couldn't they release patches that allows the game and its characters to play the same way across all regions?

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
They probably should have waited until at least a year's worth of tournaments before entertaining the idea of a tier list.

Couldn't they release patches that allows the game and its characters to play the same way across all regions?
I think all versions of Smash plays exactly the same way, otherwise online would desync badly when you fight people from different regions. I think the actual difference is that Japan's competitive scene has their own rules about tournaments, which changes the metagame along with the tiers.

Last edited:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I think all versions of Smash plays exactly the same way, otherwise online would desync badly when you fight people from different regions. I think the actual difference is that Japan's competitive scene has their own rules about tournaments, which changes the metagame along with the tiers.
Yeah, that was my thought exactly. When I saw mention of PAL and such, I thought "Wait, that shouldn't be an issue anymore."

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Western people dismissing the Japanese tier lists is hilarious. The entitlement is real. I do agree that is too early for tier lists, though.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Putting jigglypuff that low on a tier list!?

Definitely much higher than she was in Brawl at least... Not saying much but yeah

I hope as the metagame evolves, she'll rank up a bit, that or we can get patches to buff her more.

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
Definitely much higher than she was in Brawl at least... Not saying much but yeah

I hope as the metagame evolves, she'll rank up a bit, that or we can get patches to buff her more.
I agree, she is much better in smash 4 than brawl. But still D tier!? But i don't take tier lists this early seriously.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I agree, she is much better in smash 4 than brawl. But still D tier!? But i don't take tier lists this early seriously.
Don't get too hung up over the letters. They don't mean what they usually mean, and this is why it's important to read the notes to get an understanding of what and how EXACTLY they are ranking these characters and what the purpose is.

For example, jiggs is in D tier, which usually means really bad, but she's actually around the middle of the cast.

In SHI-G's list, the letters are abritrary. In smash 4's case, they are very misleading, and really imply the game balance is much worse than it is. If we were to compare Smash 4 to Brawl, Smash 4 is at WORST the equivalence of the cast ranging from a low of characters like Ike, Shiek, Yoshi, (the D Tier in Smashboard's tier list) to a high of the A- tier (Marth, Snake, Falco). If there aren't any more patches, this is the worst it's getting. Personally I feel the balance right now is the equivalence of D Tier to B Tier (Pikachu, ZSS, Wario).

Jiggsbomb

Smash Ace
Don't get too hung up over the letters. They don't mean what they usually mean, and this is why it's important to read the notes to get an understanding of what and how EXACTLY they are ranking these characters and what the purpose is.

For example, jiggs is in D tier, which usually means really bad, but she's actually around the middle of the cast.

In SHI-G's list, the letters are abritrary. In smash 4's case, they are very misleading, and really imply the game balance is much worse than it is. If we were to compare Smash 4 to Brawl, Smash 4 is at WORST the equivalence of the cast ranging from a low of characters like Ike, Shiek, Yoshi, (the D Tier in Smashboard's tier list) to a high of the A- tier (Marth, Snake, Falco). If there aren't any more patches, this is the worst it's getting. Personally I feel the balance right now is the equivalence of D Tier to B Tier (Pikachu, ZSS, Wario).
Yes, but it was a bit of a joke. I don't give a straight and two curls about current tier lists. :)

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that the Mii Swordfighter is the worst character in the game. Also, for some reason, Pit and Dark Pit are in different tiers despite being mostly identical.
Dark pit cannot direct arrows and Pit can thats where the main difference is.
There are other differences like side b for Dark pit knocking foes more horizontal while Pit's upper dash knocks vertical.
Overall dark pit is a worse pit.

Top Bottom