• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab + UpB - Broken?

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I wouldn't be surprised if this has been discovered already, but **** jab + upB is so ridiculously broken. If this hasn't been discovered yet then, by all means try it. With correct spacing of the jab, this combo should work on every character 95% of the time.

Unfortunately, I don't get to play actual humans often, so the only opponents I've tried this on are comps. If anyone knows how this fares against real opponents, please tell me . :)

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Not really, my friend usually manages to shield the UpB when he sees me jabbing. Thats why i fake him out with grabs instead sometimes xD.

Zarez

Smash Cadet
I've tested it several times in a row against my brother. He eventually was able block the up b after seeing it done the first few times.

TheMann

Smash Ace
Yea its a weird move. Kinda character specific. From my experience heavy characters can block after the jab while most light characters seem to be helpless after it.

pichuthethundergod

Smash Cadet
In general the move is op. It's even easier to pull off than Kirby's rest, with no start up lag and KO potential rivaled only by DDD's Fsmash. The only downside is that if it misses it is easily punishable. You really need to see it coming.

Eten

Smash Ace
You can also rather aggressively use the move to punish people for laggy attacks. I've also heard of in-the-air sex kick to up-B setups, landing it on people who trip, and you can generally just pressure your opponent with the fear of the up-B by smothering them but constantly getting REALLY close. However, my personal favorite is firejumppunch out of shield. That is, since up-B moves can be used directly out of shield(tap jump on, like how Samus does it), when luigi shields a lot of moves(like dash attacks) it often sets the opponent up right in place for a firejumppunch. It's brutal.

It can KO w/ DI included on Final Destination below 60% on most of the cast. I've said before- Luigi being seen as a top-tier character is going to totally depend on people able to pull out these amazing low % KOs he has.

shOOs

Smash Rookie
Since Luigi slides around alot it seems like it would be hard to up-B out of a shield. I know that his shield grab game isn't that good because of this but does it mess this up as well?

I find it hard to land his up-B which is good. If it was any easier it would be broken.:)

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Actually, it's very easy. I got to play a human last saturday and I tested out my Weegee. There are so many opportunities for using that move it was unreal. It was not completely overpowered, but I did successfully land the move often with and without the initial jab and I got many KO's with it. Since Brawl has so much lag, this move is easy to land. They guy I played was better than me as well, he won 65% of our matches, but most of the matches I won were when I used Luigi.

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
Sounds interesting, I’ll have to try this because I’ve been luigi since the beginning and I find the move insanely difficult to pull off. Really, I got a final smash once, three people were helpless inside, I did four B-ups right on them and MISSED ALL FOUR TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (WTF!)
I used to be able to do it in mid-air with a 75% hit rate in older games but now I have a 10% on the ground!

surrepGuy

Smash Cadet
Jab + up B is not as glorious when a person actually knows about it. Many of the people I've played get hit by it every once and a while, but they are usually able to get their shield up between the jab and the up B. maybe I'm not doing the up B fast enough though...and those frames could make the difference.

bioniclekid8

Smash Cadet
Actually, it's very easy. I got to play a human last saturday and I tested out my Weegee. There are so many opportunities for using that move it was unreal. It was not completely overpowered, but I did successfully land the move often with and without the initial jab and I got many KO's with it. Since Brawl has so much lag, this move is easy to land. They guy I played was better than me as well, he won 65% of our matches, but most of the matches I won were when I used Luigi.
isn't weegee
while luigi is :luigi:
on topic: finnaly, a good luigi combo. :):bee::laugh::lick::lick:

Killer-Katnip

Smash Cadet
OK i tried this combo........... AND EVERYONE I FACED ALREADY KNEW!!!!!!!!!!!!
the first time i tried he put his sheild up inbetween the punch and the jump (wtf?).

Salty Pancakes

Smash Rookie
Personally, I prefer the air/d-tilt into up-b. I seem to get people more often with it since they usually just shield after jabs to block Luigi's jab-jab-buttinyerface combo.

D

Deleted member

jab cancel that s*** and you got yourself an easy KO my friend

or jab cancel > fsmash karate chop that fool

SparkEd

Smash Journeyman
Lvl 9 CPUs won't fall for it either.

...Or maybe they just get lucky at spamming powershields. Nothing is more horrible than hearing a *CLING* instead of a *PING.*

You know.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Your title is almost a complete mathematical equation, just gotta change that ? to = and answer it
Jab + UpB - Broken = Luigi in the air with no real DI control ~ dead

I assumed by subtracting Broken you meant it missed

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Actually, after doing this awhile in real matches, I've noticed the success rate is a lot less because it's rather difficult to get in the right position for the initial jab, you can't be too close and you can't be too far away. But still, I can land it atleast twice in a match.

Gindler

Smash Champion
It only works when ridiculously close to the opponent. and it's nearly impossible to get that close to an opponent without them rolling or attacking you.

J4pu

Smash Champion
It only works when ridiculously close to the opponent. and it's nearly impossible to get that close to an opponent without them rolling or attacking you.
especially when you are luigi and shielding any attack stronger than pikachu's thundershock will slide you across half of FD
sidestep ftw?

Ice9

Smash Apprentice
This is great combo, And regarding the Dtilt into up-B, I just can't seem to nail that. It seems to only hit with a coin, not the shoryuken.

kagemaru696

Smash Cadet
I lol'ed too at that comment.

But the jab to shoryuken is quite broken, but yes easily punishable. But only to try it out as a last resort, considering the risk involve. I usually sidedodge and shoryuken, lands more effectively. Also a midair shoryuken (just like Ken *peace sign*) works too.

Funny to jump midair after a opponent and just mindgame him into a aerial and BOOM!

Flame. Fist. Flying. Dead.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Jab + up B can be dodged/shielded pretty much every time. up B is still a great move but jab + grab is much more effective.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Sounds interesting, I’ll have to try this because I’ve been luigi since the beginning and I find the move insanely difficult to pull off. Really, I got a final smash once, three people were helpless inside, I did four B-ups right on them and MISSED ALL FOUR TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (WTF!)
I used to be able to do it in mid-air with a 75% hit rate in older games but now I have a 10% on the ground!
Sometimes if you dash into people trying to do the firepunch you end up sliding and missing the hit (you have to be right in front of them, fist to chin almost xD)

But yeah, i have been with luigi since 64 and the firepunch is a lot easier to do in brawl than melee, though getting the sweetspot in the air is harder, hence why i keep messing up the rising nair > upB.

Magus420

Smash Master
I did some testing with Jab->Up-B on Dedede, and at least in his case it depends on what type of landlag they get for whether it connects. Normally he gets 6 frames of landlag after landing from the jab, and when the Up-B (hits on frame 6) is done out of the jab correctly (ends on frame 15), it hits him on that 6th and last frame of landlag.

However, if they press shield/airdodge before they land from the jab, they get a softer landing and can shield on frame 3 instead of frame 7 and so the Up-B gets powershielded.

Basically, at least in his case (and likely many others) you're more likely to miss when the Jab->Up-B is expected and they're looking for it, but they weren't actually planning on getting hit when the jab connects. In this case they react and press shield, but also are able to do it quickly enough to press it before touching the ground which begins a dodge and they land with less lag. If going off reaction they would need to react to being hit by the jab and press shield in under ~0.300 seconds.

If they are expecting to be hit (like say they did a laggy move) and are holding shield to preemptively protect themselves it will work if their laggy landlag allows. Also if you catch them offguard or while they were trying to do something else at the time it would generally work, since they would be far more likely to press the shield button after they've already touched the ground and are stuck with the laggy landing.

DIing to the side might cause them to land like 1 frame sooner than normal (I didn't get to test this), and in cases like Dedede's where it hits on the last frame of lag it might cause it to miss even if they do get the laggier landing. He is much heavier and falls faster than most characters though, so the others likely don't reach the ground sooner than him, and it'd probably only vary by +1/-1 frame. There's a much larger difference between the two landings though, which I imagine is the main reason it hits/misses.

Also, some characters may always get the softer landing after being jabbed even without airdodging, so in that case they would always be able to shield it so long as they press shield before the Up-B connects, which is pretty easy to do in time.

Oh, and if they happen to tap down and fastfall early enough during the brief period of time they're off the ground it may allow them to shield in time as well by landing a bit sooner.

Top Bottom